• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
How do you feel about the clip being at the writing side of the pen? That's my only hesitation right now, as I kind of wrap my fingers around my Pilot Metropolitan—but that pen is really narrow, so I don't know if I'd hold a VP that way.

Personally, I always tended towards a kind of clawed/tense pen grip and had been working on correcting it. I find the VP gently reminds me how to hold it properly, and it's very comfy to use. Due to that clip, the VP works best for people with a conventional grip or quite close to it. I would definitely recommend getting your hands on one first if you can (I know of like one fountain pen store close to me so this might be a tall order), especially if you know that you hold your pen in an unusual way. It absolutely would be irritating for a subset of writers.

I'm not sure how well it would work for lefties either, as there is a lot more variety in how left-handed folks have adapted to use fountain pens comfortably and avoid smearing etc.

phoenixyz

Oct 26, 2017
How did I never notice there is a fountain pen thread in the precursor forum? Really cool to see such a niche community here. I personally got into using fountain pens to improve my excruciatingly bad handwriting. It's still not exactly pretty, but much, much better.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
So, I bought three new bottles of Iroshizuku ink (yu-yake, chiku-rin and tsutsuji) on my last trip to Japan + a new Pilot Prera. I love all three of them so much. I have my two Preras and my TWSBI loaded up with one color each and been gleefully outlining and planning stuff for my NaNo Project by hand. I wrote like 7 DinA 5 in my smallish handwriting, alternating the pens every page.
It was so much fun that I had to force myself to start actually writing the story in a boring word processor.

I'm also rather in love with Kokuyo Soft Ring Notebook I also bought when I was in stationary paradise. The paper quality is really good and the soft ring gimmick is one of these things where you don't know that you need them until you tested them and from then on can't live without. I think I finally found my notebook to replace all other notebooks (aside from my Hobonichi, but that I use differently.)

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
I just looked up what these are, and they sound like something I'd really like. So the ring binding is squishy? Is there micro perforation?

Mine doesn't have micro perforation, which I must admit I rather like since I'm not a fan of tearing pages from my notebooks anyway, but I do believe I read somewhere that they also have books that are perforated.
And yes, the rings are nice and squishy, so that they don't get deformed when handling the notebook and also it doesn't hurt the hand so much when using the pages on the left side as was the case with all other ringbinders before. I used to write on the right pages exclusively a lot just because of that.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Personally, I always tended towards a kind of clawed/tense pen grip and had been working on correcting it. I find the VP gently reminds me how to hold it properly, and it's very comfy to use. Due to that clip, the VP works best for people with a conventional grip or quite close to it. I would definitely recommend getting your hands on one first if you can (I know of like one fountain pen store close to me so this might be a tall order), especially if you know that you hold your pen in an unusual way. It absolutely would be irritating for a subset of writers.

I'm not sure how well it would work for lefties either, as there is a lot more variety in how left-handed folks have adapted to use fountain pens comfortably and avoid smearing etc.

I should mention that I'm left-handed, which complicates things. I really, really wish I could just try one of these things in person to see if it'd be a problem.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Fountain pen? Are people still into stodgy things like that? :)

Anyways, one of my favorite pens for a while is a Sailor Pro Gear S with a fine point. Normally, gold-nib pens out there are going to be 14K, with some companies making 18K nibs. Sailor is unique in the industry for offering 21K nibs, and I wanted to try it out. When mine showed up, I was a bit disappointed. It looked like any other cigar-shaped pen except that it was slimmer, smaller, and lighter than most. In fact, it's only about a centimeter longer than the Pro Gear Slim.

But when I inked up the pen and started writing with it, all of those other concerns flew out the window. It's an incredibly smooth writer, and it's crazy fun to use. Of all my pens, only the Custom 823 comes close to as smooth a writer, but the 823 is also a totally different class of pen.

In other news, I got to finally try out Rouge Hermatite, and it looks absolutely amazing coming out of a broad nib. If I didn't already have a bazillion other inks, I'd be really tempted to get more 1670s.

I should mention that I'm left-handed, which complicates things. I really, really wish I could just try one of these things in person to see if it'd be a problem.
A rough test would be to try out a Lamy Safari/Vista/Al-Star. If your finger constantly touches the top of the Safari's triangular grip then it'll likely do the same with the Vanishing Point's clip. I ended up having to learn a new grip when I started using fountain pens, and it's made a huge difference. That may be something you want to look into.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm not into pens, but my wife is a huge fan. I got her a Visconti Homo Sapiens for her last birthday and she flipped her lid. I'll watch this thread for more gift ideas.

Oct 27, 2017

Actually have you tried a safari? The vanishing point encourages a similar grip that a Lamy safari does. If your fingers fall where the safari's grip wants them to, and you can write comfortably that way, it's a better-than-nothing indicator of how the VP might work for you. A VP is larger though.

Found this page, maybe it has helpful info for you. http://www.thecramped.com/fountain-pen-guide-for-the-left-handed-writer/

The last issue I want to address is the grip area on the pen. Often mentioned as a great "starter" fountain pen, the Lamy Safari/AL-Star features a molded plastic grip intended to help writers angle the nib properly. Most right handed folks love this because it makes it mostly foolproof. Left-handed writers are less enthusiastic about this pen because the "proper angle" can be less-than-perfect for some left-handed writers. Often, left-handed writers ignore the grip and hold the pen in such a way as to get the best and most consistent ink flow which means that the grip will cut into their middle finger or thumb. This is the only reason I don't recommend the Lamy Safari/Al-Star as frequently as other bloggers. Lamy nibs are awesome and if you are ready to invest in a fountain pen over $50, I have plenty of Lamys I can recommend.

Retractable fountain pens like the Pilot Vanishing Point can also be less-than-comfortable for left-handed writers (and some right-handed writers, for that matter). In order to get the proper grip and angle on a retractable fountain pen, some left-handers have to grip over the clip which is not ideal.I prefer a consistent grip barrel, be it smooth or ridged, which allows me to twist or angle the pen as needed for the best writing results without poking my hand unnecessarily. Grip issues are not a make-or-break issue but for long term comfort, pens with molded grips or clips may not be your go-to favorites.

Edit: I see 4Tran beat me to it :D

Last edited:

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Actually have you tried a safari? The vanishing point encourages a similar grip that a Lamy safari does. If your fingers fall where the safari's grip wants them to, and you can write comfortably that way, it's a better-than-nothing indicator of how the VP might work for you. A VP is larger though.

Found this page, maybe it has helpful info for you. http://www.thecramped.com/fountain-pen-guide-for-the-left-handed-writer/

Edit: I see 4Tran beat me to it :D

I never have, no, and I don't have any options to try one in person. I might just go with the Lamy 2000 as my "Christmas" pen if I can't actually try out the VP...I do want that VP, though. :/

edit: I'm about to post a photo of my grip, which I hope will make it clear if I can manage the VP or not!

dpbg90.jpg

Last edited:

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
So I got a Tactile Turn Gist about six months ago:

Tactile+Turn+Gist+Lifestyle-10.jpg

And although it writes beautifully, I've been seriously disappointed with the build quality. The clip for the lid has come out without any stress on it, and the nib itself doesn't seem to be housed very securely, and keeps moving around so that it's not properly aligned with the well. For the price of it, I'm reasonably frustrated, but haven't got around to contacting Tactile Turn about it.

Oct 27, 2017
I never have, no, and I don't have any options to try one in person. I might just go with the Lamy 2000 as my "Christmas" pen if I can't actually try out the VP...I do want that VP, though. :/

edit: I'm about to post a photo of my grip, which I hope will make it clear if I can manage the VP or not!

dpbg90.jpg

It doesn't look like any of your fingers are in the problem area. From the pic it looks like your index finger would be resting next to the clip.

What I would try is using some tape to stick 2 and 1/4 inches of a juicebox straw or toothpick or something to the barrel of a pen. It should be perfectly centered so it aligns with the centre gap of the nib. Try and see if it's getting in the way or moving around as you write with it.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
It doesn't look like any of your fingers are in the problem area. From the pic it looks like your index finger would be resting next to the clip.

What I would try is using some tape to stick 2 and 1/4 inches of a juicebox straw or toothpick or something to the barrel of a pen. It should be perfectly centered so it aligns with the centre gap of the nib. Try and see if it's getting in the way or moving around as you write with it.

I just tried putting the cap on the Metro in the way you're describing, and it seems totally fine. I'm guessing that's a pretty good approximation of what it'd be like to write with the VP?

This certainly doesn't make my Lamy 2000 vs. Vanishing Point decision any easier! :D

Oct 27, 2017
splash wave looking at your photo I think it would be fine and it might even be more comfortable than other styles of pens as your fingertip can more easily move the pen. But it's a significant amount of money to spend, so caution is always good - it's not like Lamy 2000 isn't great also.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I just tried putting the cap on the Metro in the way you're describing, and it seems totally fine. I'm guessing that's a pretty good approximation of what it'd be like to write with the VP?

This certainly doesn't make my Lamy 2000 vs. Vanishing Point decision any easier! :D
A backwards Metro feels a lot like a Vanishing Point, so if you're good with it, the VP should be fine as well. As for which pen to get, it's not an easy question because both pens are great, and your first gold-nib is a pretty agonizing choice.

I've had both pens for several months now, but two pens I find myself using the most are a Kakuno and a Metro. :)

Gran_puma

Nov 1, 2017
I just picked up a Nemosine singularity demonstrator extra fine. I'm very surprised with the quality for the price, the nib isn't scratchy and it works well lefthanded. I didn't think I would like an extra fine nib since my Lamy Safari Fine is a pain to write with either because it is very dry or doesn't work with how I write. For some reason I bought the special edition Petrol Safari in fine as well, haven't tried it out yet hoping for better results.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a shot of my pens, some inks, and my Hobonichi. Workhorse is my Lami, I like the Metro for general writing. The TWSBI looks great but is a bit scratchy.

IMG_20171107_225347616.jpg

A huge thank you to Her Hero Is Gone for the Yama Budo Iroshizuku! The ink writes like a dream - I don't even care if I have wine-stained fingers.

Edit: Oh shit, Bagels is in the house. Yes!

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why make hatchmarks to test ink?

(I had a fountain pen once but all my inks dried up and I haven't been hand writing so not rushing to replace them)

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a shot of my pens, some inks, and my Hobonichi. Workhorse is my Lami, I like the Metro for general writing. The TWSBI looks great but is a bit scratchy.

IMG_20171107_225347616.jpg

A huge thank you to Her Hero Is Gone for the Yama Budo Iroshizuku! The ink writes like a dream - I don't even care if I have wine-stained fingers.

Edit: Oh shit, Bagels is in the house. Yes!

Nice! Glad to see the bottle made it safely.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I've been hankering for a Platinum President for a while now. Has anyone here used one of these and/or know how it compares to the 3776? The other pen I've been eyeing is a Pilot Custom 912 with a Waverly nib. Has anyone tried one of these?

In other information, if you're newer to fountain pens, you should be aware that every manufacturer will have different definitions on nib sizes so what's medium in one pen may be quite different on a different one. To make life easier, you can check out the different pens on the Nib Nook on Goulet Pens: https://www.gouletpens.com/nib-comparison-tool

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've been hankering for a Platinum President for a while now. Has anyone here used one of these and/or know how it compares to the 3776? The other pen I've been eyeing is a Pilot Custom 912 with a Waverly nib. Has anyone tried one of these?

In other information, if you're newer to fountain pens, you should be aware that every manufacturer will have different definitions on nib sizes so what's medium in one pen may be quite different on a different one. To make life easier, you can check out the different pens on the Nib Nook on Goulet Pens: https://www.gouletpens.com/nib-comparison-tool

That's a great link. I think I remember looking out up on the other forum

phoenixyz

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I think I should get a Hobonichi. If that thing wasn't so hard to get here (at least in a set with the black cover)...

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I'm close to pulling the trigger on an EF Lamy 2000, and I'm wondering if I should consider buying it from Goulet Pens over Amazon. I have some credit with the latter (and Prime), but I've heard Goulet checks all their pens before sending them all out. Lamy has a reputation for shipping with fussy nibs, right? Or is the reputation unfounded?

phoenixyz

Oct 26, 2017
I'm close to pulling the trigger on an EF Lamy 2000, and I'm wondering if I should consider buying it from Goulet Pens over Amazon. I have some credit with the latter (and Prime), but I've heard Goulet checks all their pens before sending them all out. Lamy has a reputation for shipping with fussy nibs, right? Or is the reputation unfounded?
I don't own a Lamy 2000 myself, but I have not heard much about bad nibs on that particular pen. Quite the contrary, to be honest. That's different for the regular, exchangeable Lamy steel nibs though. I barely had any which wrote perfectly out of the box. How is the exchange policy for Amazon in the US? You always have a small chance of a dud if you buy at Amazon or any other seller who doesn't check the nibs.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
From what I can tell, Lamy 2000 nibs are overall excellent right out of the factory. The reason that they have a reputation is because they have a small sweet spot, particularly for the fine and extra-fine nibs. A lot of people buying Lamy 2000s are relatively new to fountain pens so they're probably just reporting missing the sweet spot as a malfunction.

The funny thing is that my Lamy 2000 writes superbly, but my Lamy Safari had a very scratchy nib. I got a replacement nib, and that one wasn't as bad, but it was still scratchy. And aside from some of the el cheapo Chinese pens I got, these are the only scratchy nibs I ever bought.

I don't own a Lamy 2000 myself, but I have not heard much about bad nibs on that particular pen. Quite the contrary, to be honest. That's different for the regular, exchangeable Lamy steel nibs though. I barely had any which wrote perfectly out of the box. How is the exchange policy for Amazon in the US? You always have a small chance of a dud if you buy at Amazon or any other seller who doesn't check the nibs.
As long as you're buying from Amazon itself rather than a seller, returns are pretty smooth on Amazon. The bigger danger is that there are counterfeit Lamy pens out there, and you may end up with one of these. So far, I don't think Lamy 2000s have been counterfeited, so it should only be a concern for the steel pens.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA

From what I can tell, Lamy 2000 nibs are overall excellent right out of the factory. The reason that they have a reputation is because they have a small sweet spot, particularly for the fine and extra-fine nibs. A lot of people buying Lamy 2000s are relatively new to fountain pens so they're probably just reporting missing the sweet spot as a malfunction.

Thanks, you two! I'll order from Amazon with confidence.

Deleted member 2585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, this is where that thread went. No expensive pens, just a couple of cheap (and surprisingly decent) Chinese fountain pens, a Pilot Metropolitan, and this weird European pen I got from my dad's old collection that I can't seem to identify.

Just got my 2018 Techo a few days ago. I've been getting better at writing every day in my 2017 one, hopefully I'll get all 365 days in 2018!

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017

I see the question was already answered but I am going to go ahead and give you my two cents.

The Lamy 2000 has a sweet spot when writing with it. A lot of reviewers and enthusiasts have videos or posts about the pure magic, bliss and greatness of the Lamy 2000 but always forget to mention or only mention briefly that the pen has a sweet spot. People hear about the greatness of the pen and order it online through amazon or other means then receive the pen and go to write with it and the nib is either not producing ink flow to the paper or the writing seems scratchy and letters cannot be completed in single strokes. This is not a quality control issue with the nib in which the pen started to pick up a questionable reputation with the nib as people were having issues with writing. The pen just takes some getting used to if you hold it a way that does not hit the sweet spot then you will run into the very issues you have heard about or the rumors that are there about quality control issues. Goulet even has a video about the issue and the person that does pen checks for them has even mentioned in the time Goulet has sold the Lamy they have never run across quality control issues.

4Tran has already said what I have just spit out in a nicer quicker read. I feel as though I have to defend the pen as I swear by it and the issues that people have reported on are usually from new fountain pen users or die herds that refuse to work with the pen on how it should be held. You made a great purchase and I am quite sure you will enjoy it. Also one more side note. The EF and F are thicker than the EF or F of Japanese pens so keep that in mind. For some reason Europeans love those big thick lines. Once you walk the path of the 2000 you will have a harder time grabbing other pens as it becomes second nature to just grab it and write.

Please give us impressions even if you run into the strange sweet spot and learn to work with it and welcome to the Lamy 2000 group.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I need some help! It looks like some Bungubox ink is available! What should I get other than 4B?

Elepsis

Oct 30, 2017
I'm also rather in love with Kokuyo Soft Ring Notebook I also bought when I was in stationary paradise. The paper quality is really good and the soft ring gimmick is one of these things where you don't know that you need them until you tested them and from then on can't live without. I think I finally found my notebook to replace all other notebooks (aside from my Hobonichi, but that I use differently.)

I bought one of their higher end ("Business") Soft Ring notebooks on a whim my last day in Japan and I'm already regretting I only got the one. The paper is even higher quality than the original soft-ring notebooks, the sheets are micro-perforated (but not weakly enough that they're going to come out unintentionally), and it comes in a dot grid, which I am having a lot of fun with.

I couldn't find them online before, but it looks like Tokyo Pen Shop carries them now: https://www.tokyopenshop.com/kokuyo-soft-ring-clear-a5-p-1724.html#.WgjTsW-dZTY

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I see the question was already answered but I am going to go ahead and give you my two cents.

The Lamy 2000 has a sweet spot when writing with it. A lot of reviewers and enthusiasts have videos or posts about the pure magic, bliss and greatness of the Lamy 2000 but always forget to mention or only mention briefly that the pen has a sweet spot. People hear about the greatness of the pen and order it online through amazon or other means then receive the pen and go to write with it and the nib is either not producing ink flow to the paper or the writing seems scratchy and letters cannot be completed in single strokes. This is not a quality control issue with the nib in which the pen started to pick up a questionable reputation with the nib as people were having issues with writing. The pen just takes some getting used to if you hold it a way that does not hit the sweet spot then you will run into the very issues you have heard about or the rumors that are there about quality control issues. Goulet even has a video about the issue and the person that does pen checks for them has even mentioned in the time Goulet has sold the Lamy they have never run across quality control issues.

4Tran has already said what I have just spit out in a nicer quicker read. I feel as though I have to defend the pen as I swear by it and the issues that people have reported on are usually from new fountain pen users or die herds that refuse to work with the pen on how it should be held. You made a great purchase and I am quite sure you will enjoy it. Also one more side note. The EF and F are thicker than the EF or F of Japanese pens so keep that in mind. For some reason Europeans love those big thick lines. Once you walk the path of the 2000 you will have a harder time grabbing other pens as it becomes second nature to just grab it and write.

Please give us impressions even if you run into the strange sweet spot and learn to work with it and welcome to the Lamy 2000 group.

I still appreciate the follow-up! Your post is very reassuring, and I'm feeling confident that the sweet spot won't bother me. I tend to keep pens in a pretty stable position when I write, so I doubt it'll be a problem. I'll absolutely be posting my impressions once it arrives!

In the meantime, I recently started writing in cursive again, and holy shit does it feel incredible with a fountain pen. Even writing with a modest Pilot Metro feels like you're getting away with something. So smooth!

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I still appreciate the follow-up! Your post is very reassuring, and I'm feeling confident that the sweet spot won't bother me. I tend to keep pens in a pretty stable position when I write, so I doubt it'll be a problem. I'll absolutely be posting my impressions once it arrives!

In the meantime, I recently started writing in cursive again, and holy shit does it feel incredible with a fountain pen. Even writing with a modest Pilot Metro feels like you're getting away with something. So smooth!
To be fair, the Metro is an amazing pen for its price, and it's still pretty darned good even if you don't consider the price. There are even people out there that prefer it over gold-nibs.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I have always said that I would never venture to the luxury pen side.

Then a Sailor x Sailor Moon collaboration was announced, complete with a custom pink ink, and suddenly I'm talking to a third party ordering service and would you look at that.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
The 4B came in, and it's an amazing looking ink. I don't know if I can recommend it though because it's probably way overpriced and it's awfully hard to get. Still, there's nothing else that's quite like it. My main problem is that the pen that I want to use it in is already inked up with something else, so in the mean time, it's sitting in my Plumix.

I have always said that I would never venture to the luxury pen side.

Then a Sailor x Sailor Moon collaboration was announced, complete with a custom pink ink, and suddenly I'm talking to a third party ordering service and would you look at that.
How's that for a natural collaboration? My searches for Sailor pens already turn up tons of Sailor Moon merchandise.

kliklik

Oct 26, 2017

Wow thank you. That helped me rule out the Lamy Safari. My garbage grip is a typical overwriting disaster resulting from being left to my own devices when learning how to write as a kid. My thumb crosses perpendicular to the pen and wraps around my other fingers, while both my index and middle finger wrap around the pen in the opposite direction, with my middle finger pressing on the pen for stability. It's a shame cuz I think the Safari looks really good, especially in that Petrol Blue colour.

I guess that also rules out the Kakuno eh.

So I guess that means I'm down to choosing between the Metropolitan and the TWSBI? I have an old Cross with a medium nib – I find it too thick and hard to get good ink flow.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess that means I'm down to choosing between the Metropolitan and the TWSBI? I have an old Cross with a medium nib – I find it too thick and hard to get good ink flow.

If you are looking for a dependable pen the Metropolitan will do wonders. It still to this day impresses me with its build quality at the price point. I do not have enough experience with the TWISBI to give it a recommendation but I know those that swear by the models they have.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Wow thank you. That helped me rule out the Lamy Safari. My garbage grip is a typical overwriting disaster resulting from being left to my own devices when learning how to write as a kid. My thumb crosses perpendicular to the pen and wraps around my other fingers, while both my index and middle finger wrap around the pen in the opposite direction, with my middle finger pressing on the pen for stability. It's a shame cuz I think the Safari looks really good, especially in that Petrol Blue colour.

I guess that also rules out the Kakuno eh.
It sounds like your grip is bad for triangular sections like on the Safari or Plumix or clips like on the Vanishing Point. If so, I wouldn't entirely rule out the Kakuno yet. It has a hexagonal section that probably wouldn't be too bad for you.

It's hard to go wrong with either of those. The Metropolitan is the best deal in fountain pens if you're in North America. It probably would sell decently if it were priced at $50. Hell, it even comes with a converter so all you have to do is get some ink and you're all good to go.

From what I've heard, the Eco is better engineered than TWSBI's more expensive pens, so it's fantastic value for a piston-filler. My main issue is that the clear version doesn't look as good as it should, but the other colors are fantastic.

I also wouldn't put too much stock into your experience with that Cross. The main problem seems to be that it has a bad feed and you're not going to see that with any of the pens that are worth recommending. Cross also buys nibs from all sorts of different manufacturers so that quality control could be an issue. In any case, when Cross is consistent, a medium nib from them is a European-styled medium so the TWSBI medium will be about the same. Pilot has narrower nibs so a Metro in medium will be finer than you'll see on the Cross.

OP
OP

Deleted member 7878

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big fan of TWSBI here - the 580AL is a lot of pen for the money. The nibs are great - not scratch, unlike (say) Monteverde at a similar price. Would agree that the engineering can be a bit shonky - I've had a 580, and a Vac 700 break on me a while ago. But I also read they'd sorted out their production issues (think they're still relatively a new company).

The coloured Ecos are lovely looking, and massive value.

You could probably still find a TWSBI 580RB, and those are lovely!

TW40122~TWSBI-Diamond-580RB-Special-Edition-Fountain-Pen-Stub-1-1_DTL3_P3.jpg

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Am I really missing out by using Pilot's cartridges in my Metro instead of the squeeze converter filled with something more interesting from a bottle? I remember hearing somewhere that the converter "isn't great" (for whatever reason), and so I haven't bothered with bottled ink ever since.

Last edited:

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Big fan of TWSBI here - the 580AL is a lot of pen for the money. The nibs are great - not scratch, unlike (say) Monteverde at a similar price. Would agree that the engineering can be a bit shonky - I've had a 580, and a Vac 700 break on me a while ago. But I also read they'd sorted out their production issues (think they're still relatively a new company).

The coloured Ecos are lovely looking, and massive value.

You could probably still find a TWSBI 580RB, and those are lovely!

TW40122~TWSBI-Diamond-580RB-Special-Edition-Fountain-Pen-Stub-1-1_DTL3_P3.jpg
Ah, so that's where Wing Sung stole the design from! I've heard that the Vac 700R is better than the old 700, but it still doesn't seem to be designed as well as the Eco.

Am I really missing out by using Pilot's cartridges in my Metro instead of the squeeze converter filled with something special from a bottle? I remember hearing somewhere that the converter "isn't great" (for whatever reason), and so I haven't bothered with bottled ink ever since.
The main issue with the squeeze converter is that you can't tell what the ink level is. Otherwise, it holds about 1 mL of ink compared to the 0.4 of a Con-50 or the 0.6 of a Con-40. A squeeze converter probably is harder to clean the old fashion way, but it's a lot easier to flush out with a blunt syringe, so who cares? I have three Metros and I have all three squeeze converters in use.

You're mainly missing out by being confined to the limited amount of Pilot cartridges out there. There are something like 700 different bottled inks out there as opposed to the dozen or so cartridges that Pilot sells.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Lately I've been picking up my TWSBI Eco more than my other pens and I'm thinking about getting more. It's been a pleasure to write with.

Status
Not open for further replies.