• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I'm open to either, but probably am partial to the latter due to not needing to sharpen it.
I'm not much of a pencil user, but I remember a Bagels thread on the old site which was chalk full of information. Basically, the way it goes is that there's two main ideas: the leads and the pencils themselves.

Of the two, the lead you decide to go with might be the more important! If you're in the US, the most common lead type is #2 which corresponds to HB on the Graphite scale. Personally I prefer a slightly softer lead that leaves a darker line so my preference is for 2B. For more information you can check this site: https://pencils.com/pages/hb-graphite-grading-scale

If you're looking for the fancier pencils mechanically, the go to choices tend to be drafting pencils like the Pentel GraphGear 500 or 1000 or Rotring 600 or 800. There are other options like the Uni pencils that automatically rotate the lead. I went with a Pilot Justmeet because it's cool to have a mechanical pencil with a wooden body.

For regular old wooden pencils, the connoisseur's choice is the Palomino Blackwing series of pencils. I don't have any personal experience with them though so that'll be all I can offer.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I really like the washi cousin cover. It's my style.

But I'm using a passion planner for 2020 and paying the ~7k for just a cover (inc shipping) seems like such a waste. I use covers for my other A5 notebooks (my favorite is Midori MD so it's a must if I take it anywhere) but I'm not that boujie lol

Last edited:

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
It's the first day of Hobonichi sales.

www.1101.com

Techo - Hobonichi Techo 2024

Hobonichi Techo 2024 Lineup: We have techos in varying sizes and formats, from the A6-size Original and A5-size Cousin daily planners, weekly planner Weeks and the monthly notebook Day-Free, as well as techo covers. We hope you find your favorite techo.

The shipping costs went up significantly over previous years! It's an extra 720 JPY (10.06 AUD) over the past few years, so now it costs me 80 AUD just for an English planner, (no cover) all up. I'll see if a brick and mortar shop has it near me.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I usually wait until they go on sale on amazon and I order it.

Lately I've been ordering from Lemur Ink when I can. The dude is chill (he talked with me and my friends for about an hour at the ATL pen show) and he does free shipping at a reasonable price. Their exclusive Lemur Lime ink is also coming my way. If I don't get it from him I usually wait for Jetpens.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Happy, just got my Hobonichi in. Went with a red leather cover, a little bit pricier but so worth it! Not sure if I use a plastic extra cover this time. Hate it, but I carry my hobonichi with me everywhere so maybe I should. I'm still looking for some accesory to keep it closed.

Some pics:
img_20190928_155549oxjfm.jpg
img_20190928_155606qoj3j.jpg
img_20190928_155617wskg7.jpg

....I have no idea what the box of cards that came with my Hobonichi is for lol.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
It's a Japanese card game that is sadly impossible to play for people that don't know the language and even then it is hard because you have to be familiar with 100 traditional Japanese Waka poems.
Ah cool thanks. Too bad I don't have any use for it. Then again, I leave for Japan this wednesday for three weeks, so gonna get my fountain pen, ink and stationary fix there anyway :)

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

Got some new stuff. Bought a Leonardo Momento Zero with a medium nib, De Atramentis Beethoven brown and a 100th anniversary Pilot ink set.

Also bought the P.W. Akkerman's Lievens Kardinaal Paars, a purple ink in a beautiful bottle, from the Dutch Masters series. I'm not sure if it's available international but check it out here. The ink series is amazing imo.

I also went to Japan a few weeks ago and came back with TONS of stationary haha! I'm too lazy to gather and photograph it all, but damn, stationary there comes in so many varieties and is so cheap, it's mind blowing.

That ink looks beautiful! And the pen, is that some sort of Twsbi?

Last edited:

Five Venoms

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone ever dove into the Etsy FP dealers? Looks like there's a few smaller setups running there, who aren't necessarily making 'pen kits' with custom barrels, but it's a little hard to tell between the vintage stuff, resellers and Asian FP manufacturers selling stuff for like 5-20 dollars. Some of it looks pretty nice though!

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
Decided for a 5-year planner this year and sort of regret it. I had a Cousin A5 last year and didn't use it enough so I thought the smaller space wouldn't bother me in 5-year - and it sort of doesn't, but the fact it doesn't fit in my Techo A6 cover and it's ridiculously expensive to get a 5-year cover does!

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I got the hobonichi Day-Free this year thinking it would be great not to be limited to 1-page per day, but... it's just way less pages overall. Ragrets.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
I just got the Cousin again and am very happy with it. Use the weekly pages for normal planning stuff and the daily pages for diary/creative writing purposes. I wish I could find a good use for the monthly pages though. Never know what to do with them which bothers me because it seems like such a waste not to use them.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
My Platinum 3776 started writing differently all of a sudden and I'm not sure why. It's a little scratchier and feels as though the sweet spot is smaller. It's weird because I didn't drop it and the problem has persisted even after cleaning it.

Oct 27, 2017
My Platinum 3776 started writing differently all of a sudden and I'm not sure why. It's a little scratchier and feels as though the sweet spot is smaller. It's weird because I didn't drop it and the problem has persisted even after cleaning it.

That sucks.

It's possible the tines got misaligned somehow - usually would be from impact, or pressure applied at a weird angle. If you have a good magnifier, take a look at the tines and see if they look like they are well aligned with each other. I have a thin sheet of metal from some kind of pen maintenance kit that helped me floss between the tines before and corrected a similar issue for me. However, depending on the cost of the pen you're trying to fix up I can see being concerned about damaging it.

I'd start with the most basic stuff first - more cleaning. If you can, slide the nib off the feed so you can clean it and the feed thoroughly before putting it back on and making sure it is sitting centered on the feed (not familiar with the pen you've got, but hopefully that's possible?). You're more likely to get any stray debris out, and sometimes reseating the nib on the feed can help if the nib wasn't sitting properly against the feed. Try a wetter ink after cleaning and see if the additional lubrication helps.

Here's a page that might help you identify some issues that can cause what you're talking about. You can try some of the basic tips for checking alignment if you notice there is a problem, but I wouldn't go as far as to try to use an abrasive - I'd be concerned about fucking it up worse.

Good luck.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Finally got a converter for my Lamy Safari and Lamy Aion! Also have some new ink in, Rohrer & Klinger Vertigris, which kinda is a mix between dark blue/green and with some extra shade towards black. Really love that colour and dries really fast on quality paper.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
While this is being bumped, any got any tips on improving hand writing?

I write chicken scratch and I want to improve if I'm going to collect pens and notebooks.

Five Venoms

Oct 27, 2017
So uh, almost a year exactly after checking in with everyone, gotta say the fountain pen thing is great! But now um, anyone have good solutions for storing say, a few dozen pens?

Oct 27, 2017
So uh, almost a year exactly after checking in with everyone, gotta say the fountain pen thing is great! But now um, anyone have good solutions for storing say, a few dozen pens?

The classic dilemma!

I keep stationery and art supplies in a wooden chinese medicine chest with tons of little drawers. It's something that came to me from my mom though, and I can't really recommend getting a separate piece of furniture for the purpose even though it kind of works awesome for it.

Do you have a desk with drawers? There may be stackable pen trays where there is a groove or compartment for each pen to keep them organized.

There are also marker organizers that might work depending on the size. Not sure what the dimensions are, but something like this might work:

Or a plastic storage bin for markers like this could go in a closet:

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I use pen cases for storage. A 48-pen case for all the ones I'm not using, a 12-pen case for inked pens, and a smaller one for the ones I plan to leave the house with. Even a cheap one is pretty good unless you're storing $500 pens. Just make sure that you're getting a dedicated one with the loops like this:

Five Venoms

Oct 27, 2017
The classic dilemma!

I keep stationery and art supplies in a wooden chinese medicine chest with tons of little drawers. It's something that came to me from my mom though, and I can't really recommend getting a separate piece of furniture for the purpose even though it kind of works awesome for it.

That is more-or-less what I had in mind long-term, actually! I gotta say, you guys could have warned me. I have ink bottles, little phials of I'm not sure what, brushes, silicon paste, nibs, weird paper. It just happened.....so fast.....

I use pen cases for storage. A 48-pen case for all the ones I'm not using, a 12-pen case for inked pens, and a smaller one for the ones I plan to leave the house with. Even a cheap one is pretty good unless you're storing $500 pens. Just make sure that you're getting a dedicated one with the loops like this:

Also it says something that at no point did I straight up look for just a "pen case" for some reason. I can use something along those lines for my rando/not-as-nice pens and leave the rest in their boxes or my pen wrap. Thanks!

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say, you guys could have warned me. I have ink bottles, little phials of I'm not sure what, brushes, silicon paste, nibs, weird paper. It just happened.....so fast.....

Yeah I haven't really collected many fountain pens, but the bottles of ink and other random accoutrements for cleaning are another story. I haven't found a good way to store them besides trying to find closet space for a box or something.

Five Venoms

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a few random first-aid style plastic boxes for that stuff, I just want to consolidate everything. I also took out most/all of my pens today to try and reorganize. Maybe I should give some away. Also I think I'm missing a TWSBI.

jnisoCtm.jpg

Last edited:

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
Hello ERA, I've had a Montblanc 144 that I was given as a gift almost 20 years ago now and only used it about half a dozen times. It works perfectly and is in immaculate condition (been in the box all except a few dozen hours of its life) and I want to sell it on eBay (COVID-19 downturn purge) but I have no idea exactly how to describe it beyond being a "Montblanc 144". If someone could please check out the photos I took and tell me how I should describe it and approximately what it's worth I would be incredibly grateful. https://photos.app.goo.gl/p2CUFnRkMU2pYGip9

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I'm considering buying the Lamy Mango ink that just came out. Trying to fight the urge to buy it
Lamy limited inks are going to be gone after the release and they'll cost a fortune afterwards. Normally I'd say jump at it while you have a chance. However, I don't think that Lamy Mango is a particularly good ink. It's a bit too faint to be useful and the deepness of the color seems to differ depending on how saturated the feed is. It also seems to work better in a broader nib so it's probably a bad fit for fine and maybe even medium points.

Also there are alternatives out there that do much the same thing, but better. I use Pilot Iroshizuku Yu-yake and it's pretty great whenever I want an orange ink. If you're into Noodler's inks, then Apache Sunset is a classic that offers fantastic shading.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Just got some new pens and inks in today!

inkpensyaksh.jpg

A Lamy Al-star (medium nib) and a Platinum Procyon (fine nib, although I ordered a medium nib).
I also got some inks: Rohrer & Klinger's Salix, Diamine Prussian Blue and Delamere Green and J. Herbin's Caroube de Chypre. Happy!

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Lol I'm not even going to count how many I have because it's an embarrassing number...

Sailor Nekoyanagi is my current favorite ink. Those desaturated inks are *chef's kiss*
I haven't tried Nekoyanagi yet. I do use Piliot's Iroshizuku and Sailor Shikiori inks regularly. Some of those inks have perfect shading and some even have some interesting sheen to them which I very like!

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I really want to still get a bottle of the Caroube de Chypre, I kept getting samplers of it. That being said, we have uh, similar ink problems so I should probably hold off. Enjoy!
I do think maybe samplers are a good way to try and use lots of different inks. However, in the Netherlands we don't really have stores that actually sell them like for example the Goulet Company does in the US. Then again, if you go for inks like J. Herbin's, the bottles are a beauty in itself haha, vials of sample don't really cut it then!

Status
Not open for further replies.