• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Completely correct and the fact that people are still beating this stupid ironic internet meme to death without a trace of irony is ridiculous.

Remove Christmas from Die Hard and you have the same movie with minor cosmetic differences. It's not a Christmas movie. It can be a movie you watch at Christmastime, but that can be literally anything.

You're so fucking wrong it's disgusting. I say this as unironically as humanly possible.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
If Die Hard is a Christmas movie, then Iron Man 3 and Elle are also Christmas movies

Oct 26, 2017

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the Christmas aspect is that important to the film, it's ancillary to the plot.
the plot where the main character tries to bring back together his family on Christmas?

what would a version of Die Hard that was a Christmas film look like to you? what would need to be different?

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the plot where the main character tries to bring back together his family on Christmas?

what would a version of Die Hard that was a Christmas film look like to you? what would need to be different?
Having Christmas be a central theme of the movie would definitely help. It's just window dressing and could be replaced with any other holiday without changing the plot or themes of the movie as it is.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having Christmas be a central theme of the movie would definitely help. It's just window dressing and could be replaced with any other holiday without changing the plot or themes of the movie as it is.
No, you could not make it a Halloween movie, or a 4th of July movie. The Christmas themes of familial closeness and repudiation of greed would all have to be reworked.

Again: suppose someone remade Die Hard to be your definition of a Christmas movie. What, specifically, would need to be different?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

Is that what a Christmas film is to you? To me it's films like Goldfinger and Moonraker, which are often shown on television at Christmas.

I mean ask yourself: how many films are there that have Christmas as a central theme? Why would this make them more "Christmas films" than films that are so popular that they're an automatic choice for the Christmas season?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, because it actually makes use of christmas. Die hard could take place at any time of the year. Christmas is just a macguffin to get John in California.

Okay find a reason why an entire office is at work during the night with lax security all around and not actually working with a good portion of them being drunk as shit.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, you could not make it a Halloween movie, or a 4th of July movie. The Christmas themes of familial closeness and repudiation of greed would all have to be reworked.

Again: suppose someone remade Die Hard to be your definition of a Christmas movie. What, specifically, would need to be different?
Okay, let me rephrase, it could be replaced with something like Thanksgiving and not change the themes of the movie. I don't think the themes of familiar closeness and repudiation of greed (and I think calling these central themes of Die Hard is a stretch but whatever) are exclusively Christmas themes and fit with Thanksgiving as well.
Okay find a reason why an entire office is at work during the night and not actually working with a good portion of them being drunk as shit.
Any excuse for a party that the boss deems a reason to hold one. You've never been to an office party outside of Christmas? The company is going public and they're celebrating. There.

Is that what a Christmas film is to you? To me it's films like Goldfinger and Moonraker, which are often shown on television at Christmas.

I mean ask yourself: how many films are there that have Christmas as a central theme? Why would this make them more "Christmas films" than films that are so popular that they're an automatic choice for the Christmas season?
I think there is a difference between watching a movie at Christmas as tradition and a Christmas Movie.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Any excuse for a party that the boss deems a reason to hold one. You've never been to an office party outside of Christmas?

Not of that magnitude, not at the office. Also a big portion of the movie revolves around it being Christmas so people being too preoccupied with stuff to take the threat seriously. From the office itself, to the police, to the FBI.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I frankly don't care if it is or isn't a Christmas movie. I'm more irked at people who constantly say, "Didn't you know Die Hard is a Christmas movie? Because, IT IS!!!"

I didn't fuckin' ask.

"It's the BEST Christmas movie!"

I don't care...

"But it is, a Christmas movie, and here's why..."

The more these pissants try to cram this down my throat, the more I want to cram my fist down theirs. Think it is, don't think it is, do what you will, just stop acting like you've discovered something new and are proud of it.

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
source.gif

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Christmas movies are about the Christmas season and things that revolve around that. Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay, let me rephrase, it could be replaced with something like Thanksgiving and not change the themes of the movie. I don't think the themes of familiar closeness and repudiation of greed (and I think calling these central themes of Die Hard is a stretch but whatever) are exclusively Christmas themes and fit with Thanksgiving as well.
I mean, yeah, Thanksgiving and Christmas have a lot of thematic similarity, right down to arguments about whether the holiday is being over-commercialized. It would be completely trivial to change Planes, Trains and Automobiles from a Thanksgiving movie to a Christmas movie by just changing which holiday is being referenced. So what?

What specific things do you need in Die Hard before it becomes a Christmas film? Would tacking on a scene at the end of John giving a present to his daughter be enough to tip it over the line for you? Does it need to be made even more explicit that Hans and his crew are evil because they're greedy and selfish? Do reindeer need to play a critical role in the plot?

What is the threshold for "Christmas movie"? Because I would be shocked if you could give criteria that clearly excluded Die Hard without excluding a bunch of films that are immediately culturally identifiable with Christmas.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Die Hard has been a Christmas movie for far longer than naysayers have been futilely arguing that it isn't on the internet.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Home Alone 2 is the violent one lol
Both are violent. But 1is cute bordering on mean. Two is evil bordering on psychopathic. Damned if I still won't laugh at the bricks every time.

As for Die Hard.. still sick of the bros bringing it up every holiday, but that trailer was amazing (and obviously it's still a great movie)

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I think there is a difference between watching a movie at Christmas as tradition and a Christmas Movie.

I think that probably delineates the problem. The only film that I can think of that's significantly about Christmas and of a quality sufficient to be worth watching is Nightmare before Christmas. But then, is that a Christmas film in any sense more meaningful than my working definition? Both are classics that will be watched at Christmas for many decades to come.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, people are really catching feels about the idea of other people calling Die Hard a Christmas movie, huh?

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Completely correct and the fact that people are still beating this stupid ironic internet meme to death without a trace of irony is ridiculous.

Remove Christmas from Die Hard and you have the same movie with minor cosmetic differences. It's not a Christmas movie. It can be a movie you watch at Christmastime, but that can be literally anything.
Remove Christmas from Jingle Bells and you've still got Jingle Bells word for word the exact same.

Tell me Jingle Bells isn't a Christmas song. Go on. I'll just roll my eyes.

Die Hard is based on a book. The book is not set at Christmas. The script was rewritten to set the film at Christmas at the behest of producer Joel Silver. Lines were added to the script. It was a creative choice to set the film at Christmas.

It doesn't need to have Santa or Jesus or whatever to be a Christmas movie.

I can take or leave the movie and haven't watched it around Christmas time.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Leaves out the part about the lax security cause people are off on holiday, including the police force.

Since when do police get the holidays off? Shit, there should be more police on duty due to people getting, you know, stinking drunk at office holiday parties. If anything, that argument strengthens mine, and not your's.