• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.france24.com

French bill banning images of police sparks concern over media freedom, civil rights

France’s parliament voted to approve a controversial law Friday that will ban the publication of images of on-duty police officers as well as expand the use of surveillance drones and police powers. Journalists’…

France's parliament voted to approve a controversial law Friday that will ban the publication of images of on-duty police officers as well as expand the use of surveillance drones and police powers. Journalists' groups, human rights activists and unions – including Reporters Without Borders and Amnesty International's French branch – organised protests in Paris and other French cities on Saturday.

Article 24 of France's new security bill would make it a criminal offence for anyone to disseminate images that might "harm the physical or mental integrity" of police officers. People found guilty could be punished by a year in prison or a fine of up to €45,000.

Critics of the bill say it threatens to make it more difficult for journalists and others to report on police brutality or other infractions, with journalists' groups, human rights activists and unions organising the protests in French cities.

In response to claims that Article 24 would have unintended consequences on press freedom, the government added an amendment ahead of Friday's vote specifying that the clause "will not be an obstacle to the right to inform the public". The offence outlined by the text "will only target the dissemination of images clearly aimed at harming a police officer's or soldier's physical or psychological integrity", the amendment reads.

But the article's passage has raised eyebrows, coming as it does after a summer of mass public protests against police brutality and accusations of systemic racism.

Activists have alleged that police brutality was responsible for the killing of Adama Traoré, a Frenchman of Malian origin who died after his arrest in the Paris suburbs in 2016. An autopsy commissioned by his family said that he died of asphyxiation. The official health report released in June said he died of heart failure, clearing three police officers of responsibility.

Several instances of alleged police violence were revealed by videos broadcast on social media. Cédric Chouviat, a delivery driver in Paris, suffered a heart attack and died in January after police put him in a chokehold. Several Yellow Vest protesters were bludgeoned inside a Burger King in Paris in December 2018. Images of both incidents originally surfaced on social media, prompting public outrage.

Article 22 of the security bill would allow police greater latitude in the use of surveillance drones. Simpère said drones could now be used in more circumstances that are not subject to regulation. The development of facial recognition technology "raises further concerns", she said, adding that drones should only be used "if there is a legitimate need and a clear objective".

Amendments to ban the use of facial recognition technology in drones were rejected on Friday morning.

www.lemonde.fr

Diffusion des images des forces de l’ordre : l’article 24 de la loi « sécurité globale » adopté par l’Assemblée nationale

Deux rassemblements d’opposants au texte sont prévus samedi, à Lille et Paris, à l’appel d’organisations de journalistes, de syndicats et de collectifs de défense de droits humains qui dénoncent le nouveau schéma national du maintien de l’ordre.

Face aux députés de La France insoumise vent debout, M. Darmanin, s'est mué en avocat de cet article 24, en rappelant « la totale conviction du gouvernement de la grande et belle liberté de la presse, liberté d'informer ». Mais « si la liberté de la presse peut être attaquée, les policiers et les gendarmes peuvent l'être également », a-t-il ajouté, après avoir soufflé le chaud et le froid sur cette disposition, suggérant parfois de la durcir.

Damarnin (Interior Minister): "We remain convicted in maintaining the freedom of press and information, but If the freedom of press can be under threat, so can the police."

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Wow that is fucking crazy.

"will only target the dissemination of images clearly aimed at harming a police officer's or soldier's physical or psychological integrity"

Unlike those aimed at any person that's not a cop?

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just another day in France. We already have a lot of videos of French cops acting like they can do anything they want, and the government is pretty much giving even more power to the police.

Fascism 101.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Well at least the French are experienced at protesting, but this is grim.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dumb unnecessary law since the notion that it "will only target the dissemination of images clearly aimed at harming a police officer's or soldier's physical or psychological integrity" should be expected for anyone anyway.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Are the France Insoumise the only party that rightly voiced concerns about this? I'm not the biggest fan of Mélenchon but as of now he looks like the best and only candidate to oust Macron that is not a right winger piece of shit.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the most horrific thing I've learned is that fascism is never stopped in its tracks. Every few years we just forget what it's like and invite it back into our homes.

There's always someone trying to push it through. In the best of times trying to sneak it in and at their worst they openly and proudly announce their intent to a cheering audience who love the taste of boot leather.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What is going on in the world? It's like theres a huge effort to bring back fascism and its happening everywhere, is this why there's always war?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
What is going on in the world? It's like theres a huge effort to bring back fascism and its happening everywhere, is this why there's always war?

Historically fascism is a reactionary movement based on the idea that some evil external force has corrupted a once great nation.

It's more complicated than that but that's like the quick and dirty of it. When countries are in decay, instead of blaming the rich and powerful that let it get to this point, you blame it on scapegoats and strengthen the police state.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember people getting pissed when others were saying voting for Macron was as bad as voting for Le Pen before the election. Admittedly at that point I wasn't ready to consider him as bad as the extreme right, but here we are.

How nice is it that Le Pen will be elected in 2022 and she won't have to do anything to try and pass fascist laws. It will have all been taken care of already.
That's what a smooth transition looks like, folks.

Oct 26, 2017
How it started : "we did it guys! we kept the far right at bay! vive Macron! vive la france!"

How it's going : France centrist government literally borrowing fascist policies

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Historically fascism is a reactionary movement based on the idea that some evil external force has corrupted a once great nation.

It's more complicated than that but that's like the quick and dirty of it. When countries are in decay, instead of blaming the rich and powerful that let it get to this point, you blame it on scapegoats and strengthen the police state.

Very succinct. Couldn't have summarized it any better.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Are we just doomed to never advance past where we are now?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

No, a better world is possible, but as long as we let rich people and neoliberal politicians dictate the direction of things, nothing will improve. Fascism arises as a reaction to the decay of life under capitalism, rich people funded the Nazis and sided with Hitler. We have to build an alternative that works for all people. We are only doomed as long as we believe we are in the end of history.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
French cops in a few years.

original.jpg

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Police is more and more powerful in France and it's concerning.
Now when you're protesting you can be afraid. You can't bring your children even in peaceful protests anymore.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
police might be the most fragile group of people who CHOOSE their line of work and are free to choose something else. They don't need any more protection from anything. Fucking fragile.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Given the oncoming societal collapse from climate change, probably.

This is a disgusting law. I'd love to see the French all pull out their phones and record every time a cop goes by. Overload the system with so much information that they can't single out any one person.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
Lmao
A cop beat up my brother a couple of months ago. I already don't trust French police, so this doesn't surprise me. Disgusting.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
Lmao
A cop beat up my brother a couple of months ago. I already don't trust French police, so this doesn't surprise me. Disgusting.
I don't trust the police ANYWHERE. The police attracts a certain type of person. Of course there are countless great police officers but there are plenty of bad seeds.

I got stopped by the police, asked a bunch of personal information, my car searched, my bags searched, and they asked me to empty my pockets, etc etc for absolutely no reason. I tried to fight it because it is clearly illegal I know it is, however they said they would arrest me if I didn't comply. I was just coming home from work. This was in Ireland.

I don't support any of this, and I'm surprised this kind of thing is allowed in France.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao

Do you remember a few months ago when some WhatsApp and Facebook groups full of cops were sharing racist messages ?

Yeah, me neither, since nothing happened.