Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
www.espn.com

911 caller: Sherman 'drunk,' threatened suicide

Richard Sherman was intoxicated and threatened to kill himself during a confrontation with family members before his arrest early Wednesday in a Seattle suburb, according to a 911 caller who identified herself as his wife.
At one point during the call, the caller asked the dispatcher to tell police, "please don't shoot," and said Sherman told her he would fight police if they arrived.
Sherman's wife was the caller, FYI.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as burglary statues are unnecessarily broad, gonna wait for normal charges before insulting him

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a weird classification for a crime. At a glance you think it's one thing but it turns out to be something completely different.

Def needs some help.
the common law is breaking and ending of the dwelling of another with the intent to commit a felony. it gets so watered down though

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
not trying to derail but could this be CTE?
Id say the alcohol is more at fault for his violent careless behavior. He may have some underlying issues caused by CTE that has driven him to substance abuse but there is no excuse for getting wasted and driving a car, wrecking said car, fleeing the scene, then beating up on your family. I hope the dude gets the help he needs but there are a lot of people with CTE that don't go around acting like this.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
At one point during the call, the caller asked the dispatcher to tell police, "please don't shoot," and said Sherman told her he would fight police if they arrived.

This is powerfully sad in that she likely had to think about calling 911 and consider that trying to get him help might possibly kill him. Unfortunate that this is the normal state for black/brown people. Praying he gets the help he clearly needs. Wouldn't be surprised if CTE is a contributing factor

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Alcohol seems more likely than CTE given what we know. Whatever it is, I hope he gets help. This is sad to read about.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Id say the alcohol is more at fault for his violent careless behavior. He may have some underlying issues caused by CTE that has driven him to substance abuse but there is no excuse for getting wasted and driving a car, wrecking said car, fleeing the scene, then beating up on your family. I hope the dude gets the help he needs but there are a lot of people with CTE that don't go around acting like this.

In a subsequent 911 call, the caller said she thought Sherman was driving to her parents' home in Redmond, Washington, which is just under 30 miles away from the couple's home in Maple Valley.

"My kids were not harmed in the incident," Moss told the newspaper. "He's a good person, and this is not his character. We're doing all right, just trying to get him out. I want people to know no one was injured."

The burglary charge is a felony that includes a domestic violence component because it was at the home of relatives. Sherman did not enter the home and did not strike or try to hit any family members, authorities said. The malicious mischief charge is in relation to the damage he allegedly did to their front door.

It doesn't say anything about beating up on his family besides his Uncle probably preventing him from walking in the door and getting into a shoving match if the info is right. Unless you meant mentally with him threatening to kill himself.

Dude is definitely an idiot for drinking and driving if he got drunk before attempting to drive to her Parent's house. Feels like we're missing info on if there was an incident before that, but it'd be weird if everyone was expecting him to be at her parent's home. Agree on this probably being more influenced by the alcohol though but who knows.

Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't he one of the dudes always railing adderal before playing. I've seen adderal addiction make people pretty crazy

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
It doesn't say anything about beating up on his family besides his Uncle probably preventing him from walking in the door and getting into a shoving match if the info is right. Unless you meant mentally with him threatening to kill himself.

Dude is definitely an idiot for drinking and driving if he got drunk before attempting to drive to her Parent's house. Feels like we're missing info on if there was an incident before that, but it'd be weird if everyone was expecting him to be at her parent's home. Agree on this probably being more influenced by the alcohol though but who knows.
Ah gotcha , yesterdays report made it seem like he got into with a family member when trying to force his way into a home.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
...rush to judge what?
I don't want to speak for everyone so this is my POV and I'll leave it alone because people are sensitive to this an understandably so.

The average lifespan of an NFL player is 54. We are talking top conditioned human beings; above average human.

The average age for an American male is 77 years of age. NFL players are dying 23 years earlier than the average male lifespan in America. I am in no way making excuses for domestic abuse, but there is something wrong with NFL players. Their health, in particular mental health declines more rapidly than the average male.

Players retire due to so many concussions and it is well known that most players hide their symptoms for fear they will be taken out of the game and have a record. This could impact their future earnings.

It's a sad situation all around. I really hate this and wish the NFL did more to address this. The risk is well known before they choose the profession, but i think player safety should be heavily investigated an taken into account. PTSD is, so why not CTE? Just my opinion and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here but mental health degradations is serious outside of football too.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
This is powerfully sad in that she likely had to think about calling 911 and consider that trying to get him help might possibly kill him. Unfortunate that this is the normal state for black/brown people. Praying he gets the help he clearly needs. Wouldn't be surprised if CTE is a contributing factor
Absolutely. He's obviously having a mental health crisis, and is a danger to himself, and she knew that there was a very realistic chance that the 911 call would end up with him dead. It's so fucked up.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to speak for everyone so this is my POV and I'll leave it alone because people are sensitive to this an understandably so.

The average lifespan of an NFL player is 54. We are talking top conditioned human beings; above average human.

The average age for an American male is 77 years of age. NFL players are dying 23 years earlier than the average male lifespan in America. I am in no way making excuses for domestic abuse, but there is something wrong with NFL players. Their health, in particular mental health declines more rapidly than the average male.

It's a sad situation all around. I really hate this and wish the NFL did more to address this. The risk is well known before they choose the profession, but i think player safety should be heavily investigated an taken into account. PTSD is, so why not CTE? Just my opinion and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here but mental health degradations is serious outside of football too.
There was a push for this when CTE came out.

But eventually, the talking heads and sports media snuffed it out. Too much money in football. Also, when I mean talking heads, I'm talking about former players saying--we know what we're signing up for.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

But eventually, the talking heads and sports media snuffed it out. Too much money in football. Also, when I mean talking heads, I'm talking about former players saying--we know what we're signing up for.
There is a timeline for Antonio Brown's actions before and after he took that nasty hit from Vontaze Burfict going across the middle. If I find it, I'll post it.

Oct 30, 2017

Players retire due to so many concussions and it is well known that most players hide their symptoms for fear they will be taken out of the game and have a record. This could impact their future earnings.

I truly hope there is a way to detect CTE without having to be post-mortem and I hope it happens soon.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
Stanford guy; has traditionally been well spoken and intelligent.
Tough incident fueled by alcohol, DUI, fleeing and sounds like tried to "flee" into in-laws address who said nope.
Doubled down, Likely due to being drunk with attempting to force his way in, threatening suicide and when told was to be arrested, fought cops. Canine bite ("contact" as labeled by police) and here we are.
Hope he gets some help and able to move on. Limited NFL career options even before this.
But as NFL Player Union rep, will still have enough standing to hopefully take the high road and address his issues.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Limited NFL career options even before this.

Why? Injuries, getting old for his position, or what?

I became a fan of Sherman after the ridiculous backlash he got for a post-game interview, and rooted for the Seahawks for awhile. Haven't been keeping up, though, and it's sad to hear he's been struggling to find a place in the game.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
Why? Injuries, getting old for his position, or what?

I became a fan of Sherman after the ridiculous backlash he got to an post-game interview, and rooted for the Seahawks for awhile. Haven't been keeping up, though, and it's sad to hear he's been struggling to find a place in the game.

Combination of age, injuries (hurt most of last year) and reputation for not going across the middle/hitting. Even after this will have shot at getting picked up, but not the force he once was. I do hope he gets one more team/short term contract.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Combination of age, injuries (hurt most of last year) and reputation for not going across the middle/hitting. Even after this will have shot at getting picked up, but not the force he once was. I do hope he gets one more team/short term contract.

I see. Well, damn. Situation sucks all around.

Hope he gets the help he needs and manages to end his playing career on a positive note.

Oct 27, 2017
? He was injured most of last year, but he was all-pro in 2019.

After the Niners' pass rush collapsed last year with the loss of Nick Bosa and DeForest Buckner, Sherm became somewhat of a liability in the defensive backfield. Age and injuries might've contributed to the sharp decline in production, but the view is either he's no longer starter material or not worth the premium price tag despite being All-Pro all of two years ago.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I truly hope there is a way to detect CTE without having to be post-mortem and I hope it happens soon.

Here are Antonio Brown's list of his actions before and after.

He was drafted in 2010 and the hit was in 2016. When he kicked the kicker, he was trying to jump over him. It was a mistake.
IZBwplI.png

If I am offending anyone by my posts, please know that I am in no way defending domestic violence and if I have offended you, I apologize.

I'm showing the effects of CTE and not trying to make excuses for abusers.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The excessive drinking is probally because of the mental issues if its the case. And no a lot of people with CTE have had very violent episodes or on the other hand suicidal etc. all of this is extremely out of character for him to not be something deeper.

He was drafted in 2010 and the hit was in 2016. When he kicked the kicker, he was trying to jump over him. It was a mistake.
If I am offending anyone by my posts, please know that I am in no way defending domestic violence and if I have offended you, I apologize.

Yeah its always a pattern of deterioration with these guys. Like the kicker thing shoudnt even be on the list but everything down that list is nuts.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017

IZBwplI.png

his punter kick looked kinda intentional idk

Oct 30, 2017

IZBwplI.png

Right I mean we can guesstimate CTE qualitatively but I assume current diagnoses can only be made post-mortem since they have to determine how badly the brain atrophied. It just sucks that we currently have to wait for players to essentially kill themselves to justify more safety rules in the NFL. It's never preventative and only reactive.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit after watching the video, dude is crazy and rather really scary for what he was trying to do

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
He's been released from jail

A judge ordered free-agent cornerback Richard Sherman be released from jail without bail Thursday following his arrest on suspicion of trying to break into his in-laws' home northeast of Seattle.

King County District Court Judge Fa'amomoi Masaniai found probable cause that Sherman committed four offenses: misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor charges of criminal trespass in the second degree, malicious mischief in the third degree -- both carrying domestic violence designations -- and misdemeanor charges of resisting arrest and driving under the influence.

Prosecutors did not ask the judge for a finding on a felony residential burglary allegation for which he was initially booked. They have not yet filed charges, but a charging decision is expected as soon as Friday, according to a spokesperson with the King County prosecuting attorney's office.

Masaniai declined to set $10,000 bail as prosecutors requested. The judge called Sherman, who did not attend the hearing, a "pillar of the community'' and noted that it was presumed he would be released because this was his first arrest. He ordered that Sherman, 33, not have contact with his father-in-law, that he not use alcohol or nonprescription drugs and that he not possess a weapon.

www.espn.com

Judge orders Sherman's release without bail

A judge in King County, Washington, ordered Richard Sherman to be released from custody on Thursday provided he promises to appear for future court hearings, including one Friday morning, among other conditions.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Damn thats a trip. Dude is lucky he didn't come through by opening that door and putting a .45 round through his chest doing that crazy shit