Naner

Oct 27, 2017
A few weeks ago, I was playing Star Trek: Bridge Crew with a buddy and noticed a constant sound in the background. At first, I thought it was some sound effect from the star ship's engines, but, once I took the PSVR and headphones off, noticed it was my PS4's fan going absolutely nuts. It wasn't a particularly worrisome sound, rather just the regular sound the PS4 always made, but louder.

This reminded me of my PS3 slim (RIP 2009 - 2015), which got YLOD due to the GPU unsoldering, which might happen if the console gets too hot.

So, after almost four years, I decided to crack open my old faithful PS4 and give it a good dusting off. I followed iFixIt's excellent guide. I had to improvise a bit, because my model is a CUH-1000 (which only made the cleaning more relevant, since v1 products are the most susceptible to failures).

Sony didn't help at all filling the console with T9 screws. I counted over 20 of them. However, aside from that the process is pretty simple, and anyone comfortable with electronics shouldn't have an issue with it. It took me about two hours. Remember to have a decent set of screwdrivers and thermal paste nearby. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, ask a friend who built their own PC :)

By the end, I removed a big chunk of dust from the heat sink, which was probably the cause of the additional noise (the fan had to work double time to cool the APU). I also put a fresh layer of thermal paste on the APU (which helps remove heat from the chip). Since the cleaning, the console has definitely been less noisy.

Hopefully this effort allows my console survive for a longer time without heating issues.

Unfortunately, I can't post the photos I took right now, but I'll update with them later.

Considering previous tales of cockroach-infested PlayStations, I'm wondering if more people have console-cleaning tales to share.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Vacuumed my Wii U's exhaust vents recently when the console hard crashed in the middle of playing Need for Speed Most Wanted U. Thought for sure the thing was dead for good.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Yep just like PCs Consoles also need innards maintanence cleaning every year or two, do that and get a quieter cooler longer lasting console

Once you do it the first time the next time you do it its much faster since you get experienced with it i always recommend people to clean out their consoles

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I opened up and cleaned my ps4 a couple of weeks ago. Crazy how much dust that gets collected in there.

OP
OP
Naner

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I opened up and cleaned my ps4 a couple of weeks ago. Crazy how much dust that gets collected in there.
Its angled design creates a bunch of small dust pockets, plus a few major ones.

I used a Q-tip to clean up the inside corners of the casing and the space between the two "layers".

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Should really do this with my launch PS4. Thanks OP! Coincidentally, I just bought a pack of fine tools with the appropriate screwdrivers. Maybe this is a sign...

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Its angled design creates a bunch of small dust pockets, plus a few major ones.

I used a Q-tip to clean up the inside corners of the casing and the space between the two "layers".

The scary thing is that I haven't properly cleaned my Ps3 once... I think it's better to just throw it in the trash by this point.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
is vacuuming a system actually a good idea? have heard people doing it but the thought of doing it terrifies me, is static not a problem?

guess i should open it up to dust it out anyway with a can at least

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
is vacuuming a system actually a good idea? have heard people doing it but the thought of doing it terrifies me, is static not a problem?

guess i should open it up to dust it out anyway with a can at least
It's never a good idea exactly for the risk of static electricity. Always use canned air and proper rags that don't create static.

Bebop242

Oct 28, 2017
I usually q tip the vents around the system when I notice the fans getting louder. Really don't want to mess with thermal paste, would it be a good idea to open the system up and blow it out with a can of air? Does that require alot of dismantling to make it worthwhile?

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I get a used console, one of the first things I do is open it up and give it a good scrub.

I wish I would have replaced the thermal paste in my original PS3 sooner, as it might have prevented it from getting the yellow light of death.

Just be careful when you open them up. Make sure you keep your screws organized as you go. Take lots of pictures as you go, as those help you when putting things back.

A side bonus, is that once your comfortable with opening up consoles, then you're well on your way to repairing them. It can save money, and is fun. Like when my PS2's laser started to die, I didn't want to spend the $60ish to buy another one, so I spent like $15 on a new laser assembly and did it myself.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to do this for a while. Would I have to replace the thermal paste? Would just getting rid of the dust be a pretty good proactive step?

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Lent my wiiu to a family friend.
They came back saying it didnt work.
So i opened it up a few says later and one of their kids had smodged play-doh through the drive.
Had hardly any dust in it though which was surprising seeing as it was 2 or 3 years old.

Turbowaffles

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was super ready to see the roaches, lol.

I hardly ever clean my consoles. I should probably get on that. It's even more important if they're located in a room with carpet and drapes.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
udhtjd4iom6w8zxnct0m.gif

Came in expecting this....

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Hey everybody. My PS4 has been crashing a lot lately, and it doesn't seem related at all to which game I'm playing. It's the OG model, purchased in September of 2015. I haven't cleaned it once, and it looks dusty as fuck from the outside. Could the crashing be related to the dustiness?

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everybody. My PS4 has been crashing a lot lately, and it doesn't seem related at all to which game I'm playing. It's the OG model, purchased in September of 2015. I haven't cleaned it once, and it looks dusty as fuck from the outside. Could the crashing be related to the dustiness?
Or could be roaches

Mindlog

Oct 25, 2017
I just opened up my launch PS4 a few days ago.
Remarkably clean. I've seen dust build up on the vents before when I'm cleaning the house so I was expecting much more on the inside. Surprised the hell out of me how clean it was.

*Edit wait that teardown took a while. I didn't remove all my screws. Teardown dusting and rebuilding took me 10-20 minutes hehe. I used a vacuum cleaner for everything once. Then a cloth. Then an air can where nothing else could reach and one last vacuum pass over everything.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's never a good idea exactly for the risk of static electricity. Always use canned air and proper rags that don't create static.

I always vacuum my consoles, if you're just vacuuming the vents you don't even need to touch the console with the vacuum cleaner, same goes for inside the console should you want to vacuum that.

And isn't canned air just basically pushing dust around in your system? With a vacuum cleaner you at least remove the dust at a point where it's accumulated by design.

Doing this often with my PS3 and once with my PS4 so far the consoles are considerably more silent afterwards.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
I clean my OG PS4 ever month or so to prevent build up but haven't opened the console up. Will probably do that at some point

Last edited:

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Poor roaches and spiders need a place to crash, what kind of monster would I be if I evicted them

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Supremely useful and important:

91uoXoRTYNL._SL1500_.jpg

And if you own a PlayStation console, make sure to check for roaches. Sony keeps using the same stupid vent design that is conveniently the perfect shape for roaches to just stroll inside and set up shop.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
I bought an electronic duster instead of those one time use cans. It's more powerful and has a lot of attachments.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Easy with the Pro, just pop the top off and blow it out with one of those cans. Done.

I do it every 8 months but there is never much inside. Being a neatfreak pays off I suppose, never much dust anywhere when I'm around lol.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I bought an electronic duster instead of those one time use cans. It's more powerful and has a lot of attachments.

This is a thing? I'm so tired of buying these cans of air, half the time they stop working 1/2 way down and I only remember when I'm in a grocery store that sells them for $10 for a single can.

Thanks for the guide OP, I cleaned my PS4 on the outside before but that's been about it.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
I've been meaning to do this for a while. Would I have to replace the thermal paste? Would just getting rid of the dust be a pretty good proactive step?

Sadly with Sony the thermal paste they use is cheap shit that's almost always dry and flaky just a year or two into the consoles life.

Go for it since you'll already have it open. It can make a huge difference in APU tenps, and thus stop fan spin up.

People keep saying this.

I've been vacuuming my consoles for a very very long time and mine are always in pristine condition with no issues.

Vacuuming the outside and vents/fan are fine. Vacuuming the inside and boards should be avoided.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This property has a long history of roach problems. Im not going near any of my consoles orifices let alone opening them.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd almost rather buy a new console honestly. I don't want to risk messing up something like this.