BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Dark Souls was beaten by Skyrim
Dark Souls 2 was beaten by Dragon Age: Inquisition

These two are so egregious lmao

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Bloodborne beat out W3, though?

At any rate, all of the FROM games are still discussed more and generally held in higher esteem than their contemporaries. It's almost as though GOTY awards don't matter. 🤔

At GAF.

I was going to say there was no point in the thread of we were just talking about GAF/Era, but Bloodborne is the only From game that has won "here." Interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
big hyped aaa focused linear single player experience is always the media darling. even big hyped aaa focused open world single player experience can't hold a candle. Naughty Dog checks every box. TLOU even beat the shit out of GTAV, and just last year we had God of War beating out RDR2.

I'd be amazed if TLOU Part 2 doesn't run away with consensus goty if it releases the same year as Cyberpunk.
watch it going to Death Stranding.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought Bloodborne beat out W3, though?

At any rate, all of the FROM games are still discussed more and generally held in higher esteem than their contemporaries. It's almost as though GOTY awards don't matter. 🤔
BB won on GAF and 10 other sites and thats about it. Witcher 3 dominated 2015
Uncharted, Skyrim , Uncharted 4 and Witcher are still discussed and are held in high esteem outside ERA bubble , What are you talking about?

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
DS 2 or 3 had a shot. I'm glad games that stand out for design, art, and also technical achievement beat them out even though I really enjoy them. Maybe if FromSoft did a better job on that front they could break through. A lot of people are never going to get past the poor performance, mediocre to bad graphical fidelity, and awful camera issues.

Even the biggest From fans tolerate this stuff because the other things they do are so novel.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
as good as their games are, they are all nieche titles.

their releases don't start an industry-wide discussion about difficulty for no reason

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who cares about overall GotY awards? Bloodborne beat Witcher 3 on GAF and that's the only vote that mattered. I'm pretty sure it's still more popular on here at least.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking Sekiro is worse than Dark Souls II is a "Dark Souls is worse than Skyrim" level take

GOTY discussion in April is actually useless. RE2 or DMC V could easily win the award over Sekiro from some outlets, and others will vote Apex Legends. And that's only other games in the first quarter of the year

I don't think anyone is gonna be voting for Apex Legends come december, that game is already falling off hard

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the games are good but GOTYs kind of need to have mass appeal
That's like in baseball where golden glove, reward for best defensive player per position, winners need to have big offensive numbers to win. Both are true, but complete BS. A good game is a good game regardless of how well it sells. And sick of seeing lesser defensive players win GGs over the best for that season because they had a higher BP/OPS/OBS or more HRs/RBI.

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the general tone for Sekiro around here isn't nearly as hype as when Bloodborne came out. Something about this one just doesn't seem to have that "it" factor, despite being a phenomenal game. I'd be blown away if this was the one to take it.

The minor Sekiro hype on here was clear to see the moment they revealed it was not Bloodborne 2. I noticed this during the whole time when they announced Sekiro. Someone even made a topic about "why isn't there hype for Sekiro?" I can say for certain that the quality of the game is not why you are not seeing much hype.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
DiCaprio is actaully pretty talentless IMO - so I disagree rather much.

He is heavy handed in his acting and has bouts of yellowing toaccent his those moments of emotion, not at all subtle. From games have a seeping emotional tone that is throughout the entire experience and often subtle...
I'm sorry, did you mean "yelling" perhaps? I think that's pretty much in line with what his latest roles asked of him, working for directors who are also known (and celebrated) for their excesses on-screen: Scorsese, Tarantino, Iñárritu, Lurhmann, Scott... That's the bulk of his career for the last 15, 17 years, but it's a register imposed by the context of the film. His Wolf in Wall Street, or Calvin Candie in Django had to be this over-the-top, in order to give the right impression, and he pretty much did that(those monologues were memorable).

I suppose it's a combination of genre, script and director. Yet there are more subdued roles here and there: Catch Me If You Can, The Aviator (though the character goes crazy, faithful to reality), J. Edgar, phases of Revolutionary Road or even Inception, which is clearly a bombastic, blockbuster action thriller, but his character remains quite contained during the whole movie.

Anyway, that's my two cents. This thread is really something, I care more about DiCaprio than From. ;)

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The minor Sekiro hype on here was clear to see the moment they revealed it was not Bloodborne 2. I noticed this during the whole time when they announced Sekiro. Someone even made a topic about "why isn't there hype for Sekiro?" I can say for certain that the quality of the game is not why you are not seeing much hype.
Sure, but we don't live in a world where quality is the only factor in something like GOTY awards. The louder games tend to get farther

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Their games have niche appeal despite how excellently crafted they are. They will never likely win a plurality of GotY awards

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like From games could use some accessibility for the masses that play the other games, if they want to win these sorts of awards

The fervor around FROM Software is really quite something.

There are a lot of folks on this site that would replace the mechanics on every game with From gameplay. Be glad there isn't a new "X game would be better with Souls combat" thread with every major release. I remember Breath of the Wild and the Witcher 3 getting quite a bit of time dedicated to that sentiment from this community. It's pretty annoying

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but we don't live in a world where quality is the only factor in something like GOTY awards. The louder games tend to get farther

Well, i was just talking about how the fact you are seeing less hype is because most of Bloodborne fans didn't even give it a chance. I wish it would win GOTY because it really deserves it and i don't see other games having better chances.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like From games could use some accessibility for the masses that play the other games, if they want to win these sorts of awards

There are a lot of folks on this site that would replace the mechanics on every game with From gameplay. Be glad there isn't a new "X game would be better with Souls combat" thread with every major release. I remember Breath of the Wild and the Witcher 3 getting quite a bit of time dedicated to that sentiment from this community. It's pretty annoying

Tbf the Witcher 3 combat isn't that great in comparison, and it was one of the best games that year. I didn't have as much issue with it as other people, but it could have been better

convo

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like game awards need to mimic the oscars, plenty of media outlets have given out their favorites to these titles.
These games are ever present in the discourse, a meme you could say, they are talked about enough to maybe give them a life-time award for being such a major force while being relatively low-budget. They are getting recognition in all sorts of ways for so long now, everyone can tell that they made their mark on video game history. Maybe if Miyazaki acts sad about not getting awards the comparison would hold but i don't see it.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Tbf the Witcher 3 combat isn't that great in comparison, and it was one of the best games that year. I didn't have as much issue with it as other people, but it could have been better
I def agree that the combat in vanilla witcher was just ok at best and compared to Bloodborne it cant hold a candle. But theres more to the witcher experience than combat and gameplay and majority of people . critics and regular people think the same based on GOTY accolades from various outlets be it critics choice or use voted community choice

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I'm sorry, did you mean "yelling" perhaps? I think that's pretty much in line with what his latest roles asked of him, working for directors who are also known (and celebrated) for their excesses on-screen: Scorsese, Tarantino, Iñárritu, Lurhmann, Scott... That's the bulk of his career for the last 15, 17 years, but it's a register imposed by the context of the film. His Wolf in Wall Street, or Calvin Candie in Django had to be this over-the-top, in order to give the right impression, and he pretty much did that(those monologues were memorable).

I suppose it's a combination of genre, script and director. Yet there are more subdued roles here and there: Catch Me If You Can, The Aviator (though the character goes crazy, faithful to reality), J. Edgar, phases of Revolutionary Road or even Inception, which is clearly a bombastic, blockbuster action thriller, but his character remains quite contained during the whole movie.

Anyway, that's my two cents. This thread is really something, I care more about DiCaprio than From. ;)
yeah my phone keyboard autocorrect - yelling, yeah.
I guess that is the direction and typecastin g or something, but, I guess I just did not like that stuff at all.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who just finished Bloodborne a few weeks ago, when I go back and look at some of the reviews from when it was released, I'm shocked that it didn't review better than it did. I mean it reviewed very well, but I came away with a 10/10, this is one of those videogame magic moments that rarely happens feeling, and the reviews are more like 9/10 and similar to a lot of inferior games (to BB), released that year.

Certainly the DLC improved it, but for all the accolades it got, BB was underappreciated back in 2015 IMO.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a huge fan of Dark Souls and Bloodborne but its undeniable that all the other games on that list have more widespread appeal to the average video game consumer, and that is assuredly a large factor in ranking the single best game of a given year.

Absolutely. Just because I personally prefer Bloodborne to Witcher 3, it doesn't mean I can't see the game's larger appeal.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It's better than DS2 but I agree

I don't know about that, or at least I'm not sure it's better in every way at least. As much as Dark Souls 2 was a letdown coming off of the previous two games, I put just over 275 hours into it. Sekiro got two playthroughs, and I'm not sure when or if I will ever return to it. Great game overall, but not flawless and actually lacking quite a bit in some areas.

But anyway, most years where FROM has released a game since 2009, a game from them has usually been my personal GOTY, or tied.

the games are good but GOTYs kind of need to have mass appeal

No they don't. Or at least they don't need to for their respective genres.

So they'll win for their least deserving game in the future?

Totally true, but he already won multiple times previously in the eyes of many, so this seemed more like a consolation win than anything. His win wasn't undeserved, it was just not the right film to award him for. Johnny Depp is another actor that comes to mind in this category as well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sure thing. I even think the Witcher x Dark Souls would be a kickass game. But at one point I was getting tired of a lack of Souls-esque combat being treated as a deficiency with the game in question, rather than a neat discussion of what these proposed Souls infusions would look like.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I love FromSoft's Souls output, but honestly all of these snuffs make sense to me.

Souls has a very vocal and dedicated following. I do think that it's expanding with each release, but I think it's probably only marginal compared to what the increase in sales say. I think there's a lot of people coming to each one based on curiosity and hype from the inner circles of the fandom, but a lot of people tend to bounce off rather than stick around for the rest of the games. A lot of the games the Souls games have been up against are huge industry juggernauts (maybe except Dragon Age Inquisition?) that also have dedicated followings. We can look back and easily gauge that Skyrim is in many ways a clearly inferior game to Dark Souls, perhaps, but at the time in 2011 Dark Souls was still building its cult following, and I think it only "made it big" over time and not instantaneously -- it required a lot of groundswell from the tail enthusiasm following the release, to my recollection.

Sekiro stands a chance in 2019, but I think its particular design, while I could argue isn't quite as difficult as other Souls games, may still strike non-dedicated players as alienating in its challenge. Most of my personal struggles with the game have been letting go of habits from previous Souls games -- but I think to an initiate or lesser-versed player, Sekiro might be one of the bigger uphill climbs in the series. (To note, I also fall under the category of players that thinks Sekiro does enough to really separate itself from the rest of the Souls series and present more like a straight action game than an action RPG).

The ongoing and raging debate about accessibility as a result of Sekiro's release is also indication that I think Souls is kinda fast approaching its limits on how wide its audience reaches. There are people passionately defending it from the inside, but the debate can really go on if a lot of people aren't really "getting it." I wouldn't take that as a sign that Souls or challenging games are getting ready to backslide into obscurity or anything, I just think we've maybe begun to approach the apex when it comes to audience expansion, and I don't think it's ever going to expand to a point where it's going to leave a lastingly positive reaction on enough people to garner GOTY-level acclaim.

Sekiro just might, we'll see. This is all just speculation from me, not a clear read on the future.