• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Strategygamer - 5/5
I'll admit to being worried when I first launched Frostpunk. It was easy to feel like there wasn't a lot there. You had, so it seemed, a second-rate city builder. Good, but there are plenty of other games that pure management better. How wrong I was. City building isn't really the point of Frostpunk. What makes Frostpunk special are its choices. Every choice matters, every decision counts. Over the course of two hours (yes, just two!), you are in for a rollercoaster of emotions. 'Success' (the way the game handles this means success is relative to your personality) is deeply satisfying. It handles its morality with a fine touch. I've never cared about the people under my command in any game more than in Frostpunk. The window-dressing isn't perfect. Aspects of the experience are frustrating; a couple of failed games can leave one a tiny weeny bit annoyed. I am not even sure if some of the scenarios are even possible! Yet if the perfect game is a series of choices where every choice has meaning, then Frostpunk is it.

Twinfinite - 4.5/5
Frostpunk is an extremely polished city-builder game that builds upon the genre's core mechanics with meaningful innovations. Despite the steep learning curve at the start, it manages to be captivating every step of the way while never forgoing that rush of adrenaline you get when the game strips away your power and complacency with yet another ethically conflicting challenge.

PC Gamer - 89/100
Frostpunk is a city-builder and a society simulator, but most of all a crisis management game where the crisis doesn't end until the game does. A few hours with Frostpunk and the tornadoes and tsunamis of Cities: Skylines seem like minor inconveniences. The traffic jams and noise pollution you used to fret over are now an utter fucking joke. In Frostpunk, if citizens are unhappy enough they'll banish you from your own city to die despised and alone. They might leave town if you fail them, but first they'll spend days trying to convince others to join them in mass exodus. Frostpunk is a tense, gripping, and often stressful survival strategy game filled with difficult, sometimes unthinkable choices. It's tough to play but even tougher to stop.

Rockpapershotgun
Frostpunk may be one of the most tense, exciting city building survival games on PC, but for a game with such an emphasis on innate justice, and heat, it leaves you surprisingly cold.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Game looks pretty interesting and 11bit has a nice collection of quality projects. Bought.

Oct 25, 2017
I trust reviewers even less than usual when it comes to this genre, but I've been watching out for this game since it was announced and it's reassuring to know it passes a surface-level sanity check. Definitely planning to set some time aside for it later in the year.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Well damn, that's a great start. God of War just got competition for the GOTY season! Bumped up on my wishlist too.
I trust reviewers even less than usual when it comes to this genre, but I've been watching out for this game since it was announced and it's reassuring to know it passes a surface-level sanity check. Definitely planning to set some time aside for it later in the year.
How come, you think there isn't enough expertise in games media to review strategy games properly? I'd hope that atleast the outlet called Strategygamer would have a clue. But yeah, I understand the concern. I feel strategy games do get bit overlooked too. Unless it's Civ or XCOM, it won't get a lot of press. If even then.

Last edited:
OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
An 8.75 from Game Informer
Rarely does an interactive experience keep me awake at night wrestling with big decisions. Frostpunk did this on multiple occasions and made me feel squeamish when forcing edicts upon society instead of building consensus. Extraordinary circumstances call for desperate measures, and all I can do is ask for forgiveness from those trampled by my headstrong approach.
Frostpunk is a min-maxer's nightmare. Manpower is always stretched thin, so efficiencies are rarely optimized. You have to accept that. The art of survival comes down to thinking two or three moves ahead
Giving players these moments of doubt and regret is Frostpunk's biggest triumph. The cascade of stressful, tense situations isn't fun, but I was consumed by each decision –whether it made me feel like a benevolent ruler or a rudderless reactionary.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game must not have much marketing, because the first time I heard of it was today. Great reviews, though.
I don't get post like this, with over 7000 games released on Steam in 2017, it's normal to not have heard of a game. Especially since his genre is such niche

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Been waiting for this quite a while, as soon as I finish God of War I'll jump into Frostpunk the atmosphere, desicion making and city building aspects are super cool.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I don't get post like this, with over 7000 games released on Steam in 2017, it's normal to not have heard of a game. Especially since his genre is such niche
I don't get post like this. The number of games released on Steam has nothing to do with a video game's awareness. If the game is promising enough, there will be gaming sites publishing the story, or we'll have a thread or two here in ResetERA. You can't just lump everything together. As someone who have little to no interest in RTS, I even had heard of this game a few times before. One of which is here in this very site.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm maybe I'll look at this...

Hadn't heard about it but I've been wanting a good, modern SimCity esque game for a long time now (OT: any suggestions appreciated towards this end, I'm ignorant of the scene these days) so city builder got my attention but then reading the rest got my attention in another way despite it not apparently being what I was seeking.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This game must not have much marketing, because the first time I heard of it was today. Great reviews, though.
Where do you get your game news? It's a PC indie game so the two sites that have written the most about it are PC Gamer and RockPaperShotgun. Every other major site has written an article or two about the game

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Hmmm maybe I'll look at this...

Hadn't heard about it but I've been wanting a good, modern SimCity esque game for a long time now (OT: any suggestions appreciated towards this end, I'm ignorant of the scene these days) so city builder got my attention but then reading the rest got my attention in another way despite it not apparently being what I was seeking.
Not to derail, but just wanted to make sure you're aware of Cities:Skylines

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys, games with no marketing don't get reviews from like Game Informer and Waypoint.

Accept that maybe you're not always in tune with everything.

Though I can't say the marketing has been GREAT. It's getting overshadowed by Battletech for sure, even if it's a pretty different type of strategy game.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Was surprised to find out it's releasing today, too. Between this, SpyParty, and probably Battletech, quite a month.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The gameplay I've seen from this looks intense; I could see myself losing hours in it. Glad the reviews are looking good.

Kaxi

Oct 30, 2017
Poland
The game has been on my radar for months and I'm so excited to finally play it today :)

I postponed my purchase of GoW to spend the May long weekend with Frostpunk.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
I really enjoy city builders. They're one of the only genre of games I feel need to be played on PC with M/KB than on a console.

That said, I still haven't tried Surviving Mars, might skip that and jump right to this since the concept looks way more exciting.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Played a bunch of it over the last couple days and highly recommend it. It's not easy though, just one crushing decision after another and never enough resources to go around. I played through 15-18 days multiple times, then figured I had a pretty good plan for a run to get me past the 20 day threshold. Out in 9 days after some things just snowballed on me. You're constantly put into situations where there's really no right answer. Both option A and option B are just awful decisions, and you get to decide which is less awful - or at least awful in a way that works for your plans.

Oct 25, 2017
My review will come out only next week (want to play more of the game and see the other scenarios and stuff that would only come out on launch day) but man, the game is amazing.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I got this really cheap on GOG from the Russian store. Really looking forward to this.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Looks like does not have any controller support (for my Steam Link)? The Steam store page normally says so, right?

That would be too bad :/

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
my victorian edition physical version shipped today, looking forward to it! had no idea this even existed until about a week ago!

Beast780

Jan 28, 2018
I picked it up on a whim. I don't have much patience so I'm going to play on easy, knowing that even that might be a challenge. I love city builders and steampunk so I'm hoping I enjoy this.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game looks nice, don't know if I'll play it, I found This War of Mine to be pretty exhausting. ;)

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, that sounds fantastic! So glad to hear it's great. Looking forward to it.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Saw Dan from Dansgaming play this last week, looked really, really neat. Feast atmosphere, great visuals and music.

Will definitely pick it up.