Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
C'mon... Frozen 1 already sunk one ship. Do you really want Frozen 2 to sink another?
giphy.gif

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It was supposed to be Spider-Man but Sony fucked it all up. He's Elsa's one true husband.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
After the reacion to the first movie their plan most likely is to queerbait us until the end of time...
Oh well... worst things have happened.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much what I expected sadly. They''ll queer-code 'til the cows come home but never actually go there in a film like this.

edit: Everyone saying that this is good because not every female character needs a love interest can't be serious, right? This is happening because Disney doesn't want bad publicity by making her queer or not, it has nothing to do with "the story that we wanted to tell."

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Good, and the writer's motivations seem good to me.

Women characters don't need to be defined by a love interest.

Dec 12, 2017
There are plenty of female characters in mainstream media that do not have romantic interests. On the contrary, queer characters in maintream media, let alone big-budget Hollywood movies, are virtually non-existant. The LGBT community constantly have to ask or beg for representation, because they are not being represented. Breadcrumb bullshit JK-Rowling-style does not count.

Disney, being the monolith that they are, are in the best position to give massive representation to the LGBT community by making Elsa lesbian or queer. By not doing so, they are being cowards, because they are scared that the franchise's massive success will be negatively affected by making it appeal to the LGBT community.
Disney doesn't have to write something just because there is a massive fan outpouring for it to happen. How do you know Disney ever had formal plans to make Elsa queer?

You are making assumptions they backed away from doing something and calling them "cowards" for it...which is weird?

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disney doesn't have to write something just because there is a massive fan outpouring for it to happen. How do you know Disney ever had formal plans to make Elsa queer?

You are making assumptions they backed away from doing something and calling them "cowards" for it...which is weird?
Yeah, instead Disney don't put gay characters in their movies because they listen to China

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is this? Her love interest doesn't have to be a guy and she seems to be the protagonist of the movie so a love interest wouldn't invalidate that.

What...?

I said that she doesn't need a love interest and that the writer's motivations seem good to me:

"Like the first movie, Elsa is not just defined by a romantic interest," said Kristen Anderson-Lopez. "There's so many movies that define a woman by her romantic interest. That's not a story that we wanted to tell at this point in time. What we really wanted to tell was if you have these powers, how do you grow and change and find your place in the world and find answers that haven't been found before?"

Sorry, what's your objection to this? Is she required to have a love interest for you or is something else unclear?

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Elsa is kinda like a surprise character isn't she? I get the sense that in Frozen, Anna was supposed to be the main, beloved character, but Elsa has eclipsed her in popularity ten times over.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At what point in either of my posts did I mention male characters?
I'm not talking about your post but what Disney say. It's okay if they don't want give her one but saying "not defined by romantic blah blah" is always used for female characters, never for guys and Disney knew people wanted her to be gay and Elsa is popular with lesbians and they obviously aren't going to do that because of chinabucks. What Disney is doing here is just business.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't see why it's controversial at all. Reinforcing that you don't need a love interest to be a complete and happy person is a good message too.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about your post but what Disney say. It's okay if they don't want give her one but saying "not defined by romantic blah blah" is always used for female characters, never for guys and Disney knew people wanted her to be gay and Elsa is popular with lesbians and they obviously aren't going to do that because of chinabucks.

Ok ... In the future don't quote my post and say "Wtf is this?" when you're actually talking about something else that someone else wrote in the OP.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I think it would have been exceptionally brave of Disney to have given Elsa a female love interest, but the fire that decision would have started is more than they're comfortable handling. That is expected really, but I also understand why some people are disappointed.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
While I wish Disney had the balls to have the main character of their biggest franchise be openly gay, I do think it would be strange to give her a relationship given the point of the first movie.

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing LGBT Representation as an Agenda; Prior Severe Ban for Rationalizing Bigotry
Thank God. I'm so sick of agenda.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
As much as I want real queer representation in one of these Disney Princess movies, I'm a little relieved they aren't taking it that far with Elsa, because I don't actually like Elsa very much. I don't figure we'll get two queer princesses, so maybe just let Elsa be one without a love interest.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Good, they should move away from Disney Princess' storyline revolving around a love interest. Maybe she is asexual.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As expected, it's clear that she was never written with any romantic interest in mind and I feel like that kind of subplot wouldn't fit with her established personality. Her disinterest in romance is a logical side effect of her self-imposed exile and it helps her serve as a narrative foil to Anna's interests.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Two things, 1. She can be a lesbian without also having a romantic interest in the movie. 2. Disney will also not even allude to that because they are fucking cowards.

Deleted member 59339

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Good, they should move away from Disney Princess' storyline revolving around a love interest.
I mean, they have. Merida, Elsa, and Moana don't have love interests.

I don't want them all to be that way, because romance is something I want out of these as much as musical numbers.

I'm fine if they want to do one once in a while with no love interest, but it's starting to become the norm.

Since they've been trying to be a little more feminist with these movies, they've done away with love interests, and it starts to look like they think falling in love is somehow counter to portraying someone as a strong, independent woman. I'm not on board with that line of thinking.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay fine, but when can we get a queer Disney princess movie? In my lifetime?

Gee I'm so glad the modern no need for romance trend is conveniently in time to block this from happening.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Since they've been trying to be a little more feminist with these movies, they've done away with love interests, and it starts to look like they think falling in love is somehow counter to portraying someone as a strong, independent woman. I'm not on board with that line of thinking.
Yea that starts getting into that stereotypical "strong independent woman that don't need a man" things. Romance can be done in a way that just isn't girl falls in love with savior prince.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that they seem to think 'having a romance for characters' = 'defining female characters by their romance' is a problem with their own worldview, biases, and writing ability. That's a really harmful and problematic view to have, it suggests having a relationship (something that nearly every human being desires) means giving up your own identity...which is just not true.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Eternals is the next franchise Marvel Studios and Disney want to be a hit and that is not shying away from having a LGBT character.
Maybe they'll actually get to touch... arms!!

7da187b654d064ef-600x338.jpg

Remember when some on here were trying to praise Marvel for having a gay character in Endgame? What was his name, again? Oh, right. They didn't give him a name. He was literally just, "Grieving Man."

Fuck, might as well have cut right to the point and referred to him as "Gay Trope Man."

Cowards

Deleted member 59339

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Remember when some on here were trying to praise Marvel for having a gay character in Endgame? What was his name, again? Oh, right. They didn't give him a name. He was literally just, "Grieving Man."

Fuck, might as well have cut right to the point and referred to him as "Gay Trope Man."
What was the problem with that?

I thought that was a good move towards normalizing queer relationships. It's just as important to toss things like that off like they aren't even a thing as it is to have representation where it's in your face.

And yeah, we haven't had the in-your-face representation yet, and we need it, but I think they absolutely deserve credit for that scene in Endgame.