• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Managed to successfully avoid it for months then got this result today on a home test lateral flow kit.

fdzdQGg.jpg

Worst of all, I had a prosthetist appointment which is months overdue booked on Tuesday now I can't go.

There is no legal requirement to self isolate here anymore but I'm going to do it anyway.

Last edited:

Raigor

May 14, 2020
You are going to be fine, i got COVID after 3 shots of Pfizer.

And yes stay at home even if it's no longer enforced

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yeah I tested positive a week ago.

It was pretty bad the first two days but I've gotten better.

Everyone in my house hold got it too.

Thankfully the one who was most weak to immune system in my house hold (my father who has been bedridden for the past 3 years) is the one who was asymptomatic

Even though its not law here - I was told to stay home - my wife was told to stay home too.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Sorry about your appointment, that sucks. If it helps, statistically-speaking, you are unlikely to have any major side effects or serious illness from this. Stay hydrated, eat good food, and get sleep.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just had this happen here a week ago, gf got positive Sunday night and I did on Wednesday morning. Vaccines did good work, it felt like a bad flu and we both feel fine now

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That really sucks man. Are you boosted? Hope you get past it without issue.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
After being careful af, doing all the right things for 2+ years, but still visiting the other side of the family across the country a couple of times a year, we picked up COVID on the plane to visit them 2 weeks ago. We're almost certain that it was the unmasked jerks sitting directly behind us. (This was the first time we flew after the mask mandates expired.) It was super disappointing because we were *this* close to vaccinating our 4-year-old. But now 10 days later we're all fine.

1) Do not blame yourself, it isn't your fault.
2) Have faith in science; since you are vaccinated (I'm making an educated guess on that), your symptoms will be mild and you will be fine.
3) Do not blame yourself.
4) Continue to do the right things.

Oct 27, 2017
If you're fully vaccinated and under 49 your chances of hospitalization is <3 in 100,000. The chance of death is virtually non-existent. The odds are remarkably in your favor - and you'll be fine.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Had it 3 weeks ago. Dodged even the slightest cold for 2 and a half years, then my mom went to spain for vacation, I picked her up from airport. Couple days later her, me and my dad all were positive.

Thankfully it was like a strong cold I used to get on a yearly basis once and nothing actually serious. The usual, hurting throat, running nose, weak body. I just was just laying around mostly.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Somehow caught it late last week and have been quarantined for almost a week now.

I get to spend my 30th sick and stuck alone at home.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
If it helps OP:

I am "severely immuno compromised" and yesterday I had my second booster & fifth vaccine overall. I caught Covid during a near 4 week spell in hospital in April and my worst symptoms were a runny nose and chills.

Obviously everyone suffers differently but it may not turn out as bad as you imagine.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally, this most recent wave is hitting way more people than I recall during any previous wave. It got my wife and half of my coworkers. I somehow avoided it (maybe, could have been non-symptomatic) but at least one of us wearing an N95 around each other when she was most sick.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.theatlantic.com

You Are Going to Get COVID Again … And Again … And Again

Will the danger mount each time, or will it fade away?

Two and a half years and billions of estimated infections into this pandemic, SARS-CoV-2's visit has clearly turned into a permanent stay. Experts knew from early on that, for almost everyone, infection with this coronavirus would be inevitable. As James Hamblin memorably put it back in February 2020, "You're Likely to Get the Coronavirus." By this point, in fact, most Americans have. But now, as wave after wave continues to pummel the globe, a grimmer reality is playing out. You're not just likely to get the coronavirus. You're likely to get it again and again and again.

Almost no one can expect to avoid the virus altogether, but that doesn't mean we can't limit our exposures. It's true that the body's bulwarks against infection tend to erode rather rapidly; it's true that this virus is very good at splintering into variants and subvariants that can hop over many of the antibodies we make. But the rhythm of reinfection isn't just about the durability of immunity or the pace of viral evolution. It's also about our actions and policies, and whether they allow the pathogen to transmit and evolve. Strategies to avoid infection—to make it as infrequent as possible, for as many people as possible—remain options, in the form of vaccination, masking, ventilation, paid sick leave, and more. "There are still very good reasons" to keep exposures few and far between, Landon, of the University of Chicago, told me. Putting off reinfection creates fewer opportunities for harm: The dice are less likely to land on severe disease (or chronic illness) when they're rolled less often overall. It also buys us time to enhance our understanding of the virus, and improve our tools to fight it. "The more we know about COVID when we get COVID," the better off we'll be, she said.

SARS-CoV-2 may yet become another common-cold coronavirus, no more likely to screw with its hosts the fifth time it infects them than the first. But that's no guarantee. The outlooks of the experts I spoke with spanned the range from optimism to pessimism, though all agreed that uncertainty loomed. Until we know more, none were keen to gamble with the virus—or with their own health. Any reinfection will likely still pose a threat, "even if it's not the worst-case scenario," Abdool Karim told me. "I wouldn't want to put myself in that position."

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
My symptoms so far are a moderate cough, scratchy throat.

No loss of smell or taste. Feeling mostly ok, but it feels like a bad cold or chest infection.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
My son has it and so far I have not tested positive. Just keeping him in his room (he's 14 so he's loving it). He just has a running nose and sore throat. He's been practicing guitar and playing fortnite all day. Living the life

My symptoms so far are a moderate cough, scratchy throat.

No loss of smell or taste. Feeling mostly ok, but it feels like a bad cold or chest infection.

Sounds exactly like what my kid was saying he felt when we tested him yesterday

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
unless you are constantly testing yourself there's probably a decent chance you've had it sometime in the last 3 years and didn't know it.
Yea most likely. I still maintain I got it over 2 years ago when I came back from Vegas in January feeling like total shit. But shit didn't hit the fan until about Feb/March.

I've officially got it once but wouldn't be surprised if I had it more than twice. Thankfully I've never been hospitalized. A co worker was in the hospital for about a week with bad case of pneumonia after catching it a few weeks ago.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
You will likely be fine. Get some rest, watch a movie, or play a game. In a couple of days you will be back to normal and ready to be out in the world.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I've gotten it twice the first time was after 2 shots (mild symptoms - lasted 4 days), second time I tested just because of everyone near me getting it, zero symptoms, post booster. Chances are you will be fine

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I think I got it this week. Got a sore throat and was mildly tired for 4 days.
Good luck OP, I'm positive (heh) you'll be alright.

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
If it makes you feel better I know about 50 people who have had it including myself and it was a bad cold or very little symptoms for most.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
That sucks, OP. If you're young & healthy, you'll be fine overall especially with be tripled up. Take it easy, and get better soon.

Oct 28, 2017
I had it earlier this year after going to the office for 1 day after working from home since March of 2020. At this point everyone is going to get it and I'm just happy got it in 2022 and not 2020.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got it back at the start of the month and I'm considered a "high-risk" patient due to having a lung disease, cystic fibrosis. It was a confluence of events, I got my booster a week prior so antibodies were not back up, I went to a massive wedding for my first cousin the weekend before, and I went to a baseball game that same weekend as well. Luckily, I only had a fever and sore throat the first day and went on Paxlovid as soon as I could and never felt anything more than what amounted to a very, very mild head cold. I tested negative for a few days and then I got the Paxlovid "Rebound", but I only knew I had it because I had the sore throat again. With the Rebound I felt even less symptoms, but I was still testing positive. I was always worried that if I got it I would be relegated to bed for a week or so, just absolutely miserable as everyone says it made them feel "sicker than anything I've ever had before" but that just never materialized. Honestly, I have felt worse when my cystic fibrosis is in exacerbation mode and I'm coughing my head off, fully congested and producing mucus from said coughing, and needing to go into the hospital for iv antibiotics. Try and get on Paxlovid if you can, I feel like it was a real gamechanger for me.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My whole family has gotten it and everyone had minor cold symptoms. We were all vaxxed.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you already had it before?

I still haven't had it (at least with symptoms), nor has my wife who works health care.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
It's a scary thing of course to realize you have and I don't dismiss that. But it's incredibly unlikely to have a significant impact on you.

I can't honestly believe how many people fought the vaccine.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i think i got it. or strep throat. or both? idk.
but i got a fever and it broke the same night. was fine in the morning.
throat felt inflammed the next night but gone the following morning
thought i lost my taste and smell. but then it ended up just being stuffy nose and whatever.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Myself, my partner, my 7-month old, and my mum all got COVID a couple of months ago. Wasn't fun, but all but bub were triple vaxed, and we mostly had one or two rough-ish days and then were mostly over it it by day 7. I'm the only one that was left with any kind of long COVID symptoms, mostly tiredness, insomnia, and sinus troubles.

Get plenty of rest, plenty of water - pretty much just all the usual flu things. Keep an eye out for any particularly bad symptoms, but otherwise treat it like any other sickness and stay away from as many people as you can.

Funnily enough, a couple of weeks after getting over Covid, my kiddo got RSV and bought it home to us - so now all four of my bubble that got COVID (including me) all have RSV, and it's hit all of us significantly worse than COVID did. We're all still battling it more than a couple of weeks later. Had to postpone surgery, as well as several unrefundable tickets because of it and everything.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wife and I just returned from a trip to NYC. She worked and I was sightseeing. Felt a little off yesterday and tested positive today. Both vaxxed and boosted, but still caught it. Not looking forward to this week.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
If you're vaccinated, you'll be fine.

Covid has turned into just another seasonal illness in Norway since this spring. Well, we can't tell for sure if it will be seasonal, but it comes and goes already. Nobody bats much of an eyebrow when someone close to them gets Covid anymore, and for the most part, the symptoms are mild. At least locally, Covid has become more of a novelty than a threat. I'm the only person on my team at work that hasn't contracted the disease yet (as far as I know), and I'm not even slightly afraid of getting it. It spreads easily but does very little harm at this stage.

This is what high vaccination rates do.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was hanging out with a friend Thursday evening who tested positive first thing Saturday and apparently felt a bit off all Friday. I'm just assuming that I'm going to have my second round of Covid in a day or so. Kinda feeling the scratch in my throat already but might just be me being a hypochondriac.

If you're vaccinated and healthy, it might suck a bit but you'll be fine. More likely than not, it won't be that bad - my first bout with it in February was nowt more than a cough and a really scratchy throat - I felt almost totally fine and never even ran a temperature. Honestly, the isolation was the worst part. It was 13 days before I got a negative test, even though I felt totally fine after 5.

Nov 7, 2017
Had covid 3 weeks ago (first time ever) Very mild cough that went away in 3 days.

If you're up to date on your COVID vaccinations and you are not immunocompromised then you should be fine. Long COVID is not that common

It's more of a pain in the ass to isolate especially if you get it internationally like I did.

Oct 27, 2017
I got it last week for the first time, along with lots of people I know (for the first time as well). I'm feeling good now but still testing positive and it's been 9 days.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got it two weeks ago, and still have a cough. Even with three Pfizer shots, four of those sick days were really bad. I don't want to think about how hard it would have hit me before vaccines existed for it.