• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
il_340x270.1386919116_fsns.jpg

Hello Era,

I consider myself a fairly cynical person. But I was still shocked (SHOCKED I tells yah) earlier this year when I discovered one of my favorite shows, the original Japanese Iron Chef, was not a legitimate competition but IN FACT a crooked reality show. All the trust I had put in this seemingly real institution known as Kitchen Stadium was for nothing! Suckered in by flashing editing and dramatic lighting. Even Chairman Kaga turned out just to be an actor!

And yet...it still works. Iron Chef is the strangest television show ever broadcast in the United States. Both blatantly false and endearingly sincere. Dramatically comfortable. It's a show that frankly could not exist outside of a very specific time and place. And I'll explain that in a second but first...

tumblr_mii0f8MlHQ1rspkrto2_250.gifv

WTF Is Iron Chef?

It's a reality show themed as a cooking based game show and sport. Each episode is self contained. A chef enters Kitchen Stadium, challenges one of the three Iron Chefs, and they have a cooking contest judged by notable people, and usually the Iron Chef wins. That's it. That's the show.

And maybe you've seen some episodes hosted by Alton Brown or William Shatner or anyone speaking English. That's not the show we're talking about. We're talking about a live action Japanese television show from 1993.

Why Does This Exist?

AggressiveJauntyBarb-max-1mb.gif

Please stop for a moment and answer the following questions: What is YOUR favorite live action Japanese show? Did it air in America? And no, sentai does not count. Chances are, you have no answer. That's because dubbing over non English live action shows never really took off. And to air anywhere is so rare, I think Iron Chef may be the only example.

So there was a lot of damn money in the 90s and the internet was hardly a thing. Cable was drowning in money, creating networks on the fly, and desperate for content to sell ads. For this assumed reason, Food Network agreed to fund the translation and dubbing of a Japanese reality show. This was 1999.

CautiousClassicGander-small.gif

Exquisite corpse

But here's where things get weird. For whatever reason, Iron Chef was given a lovingly well done translation. Leaving the original pacing in place while adding some much needed updated graphics. If you're a stickler for authenticity, it's all here. The original names and references were left in.

And yet, it was dubbed? That's right, English speakers essentially translating a sports broadcast. Any old weird thing some guest commentator said about a local restaurant was translated and then warmly preformed by an actor trying to replicate the vocal timbre of the original. Some people call this campy, and I get it, but darn it I really love this translation.

That's why the show is so special. The idea alone is cute but the method by which it was brought to America is cute. And this was not at all some cult show killed before it's time. SOME HOW Food Network paid for at least 189 episodes.

Where and Why To Watch It

There's some channels that host episodes and a pretty popular Twitch channel. But officially? Nope. There's a handful of episodes from a revival series from a few years ago. But the originals seem doomed to bootlegs for the time being.

Now why should you watch it? Because it's fucking great. Every episode is treated like gawd damn Rocky 4 by way of PBS. It is the most absurd concept treated with the utmost respect and dignity of the Olympics. There's so much laughter and charm without a hint of sarcasm. One episode a chef was bit by an octopus. That Earthbound creator is a judge sometimes. It's a lot of weird shit but mostly it's just a feel good show. I strongly recommend it.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I always thought that one of the commenters was saying Quiezon only to learn it was Fukui-San.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
il_340x270.1386919116_fsns.jpg

Hello Era,

I consider myself a fairly cynical person. But I was still shocked (SHOCKED I tells yah) earlier this year when I discovered one of my favorite shows, the original Japanese Iron Chef, was not a legitimate competition but IN FACT a crooked reality show. All the trust I had put in this seemingly real institution known as Kitchen Stadium was for nothing! Suckered in by flashing editing and dramatic lighting. Even Chairman Kaga turned out just to be an actor!

You trying to say Mark Dacascos of Iron Chef U.S.A. is not Chairman Kaga's nephew?

:(

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
I heard the dub was handled by the Japanese production and all the actors were brought in to record at once to keep it feeling lively.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Allez Cuisin

I was surprised to see the heavy advertising in San Francisco when the final episode happened

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I don't know why, but whenever I see "We need to talk about..." on era, I feel like I'm about to be told why I shouldn't like something.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I really wish they had dubbed the entire series. I would have lover proper commentary over certain matches.

Also it really is interesting to see the show now and realize that Sakai basically resorted to throwing foie gras and truffles into almost every fucking dish he made.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I blame this for me love of all the inferior Food Network cooking competitions.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I remember this being my late night favorite growing after Adult Swim started its rebroadcast. I have a lot of good memories of this show.

The Auxiliary

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
This is probably vying for #1 as my favorite show when I was a kid, so many late, late nights watching the Chairman's serious/wacky games. If you told me that it was all fake then, I think I might've attacked you.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Bobby Flay showing his ass with the cutting board years and years ago it's amazing.

Also this show blew my goddamn mind during one of the specials when they used music from Macross Plus in the background.

Also Sakai's restaurant was pretty good even if he wasn't there or anything when I ate there.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bobby Flay showing his ass with the cutting board years and years ago it's amazing.

Also this show blew my goddamn mind during one of the specials when they used music from Macross Plus in the background.

Also Sakai's restaurant was pretty good even if he wasn't there or anything when I ate there.
Was it Information High?

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Incredible show. Somehow came into possession of a VHS tape with a ton of episodes while in college in 1999/2000. Loved it. Binge-watched it years before that was a thing.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ninja Warrior was a great live action show. So much better than the American version.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was all fake??? What the hell?!

The cooking is real, but all the presentation surrounding it is just TV. Chairman Kaga is just an actor, which chef will be facing the challenger is preselected, the contestants are given a list of possible ingredients in advance which allows them time to think up dishes before the competition, etc.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The foie gras is like springtime in my mouth, but the lobsters were just...not okay I think? *giggles*

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The cooking is real, but all the presentation surrounding it is just TV. Chairman Kaga is just an actor, which chef will be facing the challenger is preselected, the contestants are given a list of possible ingredients in advance which allows them time to think up dishes before the competition, etc.

Sounds more real than the food shows we make today.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I miss the original series so much... really wish there was a way to official rewatch it all. Considering I only ever saw it week-to-week when it first aired here, I'd binge the hell out of that on a pretty regular basis now. The revival was just nowhere near as good. Never captured the same balance of over-the-topness and quality cooking competition that the original had.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I remember they would take hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of ingredients and use them in the smallest way.

Gordon Ramsay would have had a heart attack if he had to judge some of those.

xeris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have the book of the series and it's pretty entertaining. The book claims that after a certain point they started giving broad hints to the contestants beforehand, but the competition part itself was real.

I have to say it did blow my mind when I was watching the Les Miserables 25th anniversary concert and the Chairman came out singing as the Japanese production Valjean. Looking at his background, he was apparently also Jesus Christ in Jesus Christ Superstar back in the 1970.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
we made a family night out of this shit!!! My whole family would sit around the t.v. and watch this shit!!!

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Found a playlist on some random youtube channel with a bunch of the classic English dubbed episodes. Not everything, but enough to satisfy the sudden urge I have to rewatch as much as possible thanks to this thread...

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
My family and I would watch this show religiously.

Have been watching some episodes on youtube and the show is still incredibly imo.

The Iron Yuppie

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
The show was pure magic. The over the top dub, the the backdraft soundtrack, and the unstoppable Hiroyuki Sakai! It all worked and I loved every minute of it. I fell in love with it in high school, and inflicted my love of it on my friends in my frat in college. Far too often we would stay up to 2 or 3 in the morning watching the reruns that were shunted off to the Cooking Channel at the time.