• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
https://gematsu.com/2018/09/fumito-uedas-next-project-underway-rivals-the-scale-of-previous-titles

The next project from Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian creator Fumito Ueda and his genDesign studio is currently underway and will rival the scale of his previous works, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals.

Here are the tidbits from Weekly Famitsu's interview with Ueda:

• "We're in a stage of various trials. This stage we're in, where we're actually making our ideas to test if they're interesting or not, is being supported by Kowloon Nights (a game fund), so we're proceeding with prototyping."
  • "We're working out the core parts first, and from there we'll make it into a stable product. That's our challenge this time."
  • "What we're making now doesn't feel like an indie game. We're ultimately aiming for something on the scale of Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian."
  • "If larger-scale development becomes of interest to us, then I think we will significantly expand our development system and take it to a large-scale development team to make it a big game."
  • "This will be a completely new title, not a sequel."

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It'll be worth the 15 year wait.

In all seriousness tho, I doubt it will have a lengthy development time just because TLG did. Even then, TLG was incredible and worth all the years of waiting.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
TLG was kind of a disappointment, so I'm all for Ueda's next game. We'll be lucky if it's a PS5 game though. Probably PS6.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Directly no, but the previous three games have just enough subtle hints to suggest that they all exist in the same world in different time periods.

It's hard to know from that quote whether he means "I'm not doing Shadow of the Colossus 2" or "I'm making a game in an entirely new continuity", unfortunately. I guess we'll have to wait.

I feel that there's a bunch of things in The Last Guardian that require explanation like Shadow of the Colossus explained things about ICO.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
TLG left a bad taste in my mouth. Hope it's closer to Ico and SOTC.

TLG is a game I have a true dislike for. What a disappointment. Absolutely couldn't continue playing and it's very rare I am like that with games.

I mean, it's not even like the game can't be good, it just committed some cardinal sins.

- performance (awful even on the Pro)
- controls (crawl or run, nope), camera (slow and laggy, nope)
- Trico (did this thing actually work?)

Fuck them all. I coulda maybe dealt with one being bad, but not all 3. Completely killed it for me. Such a shame. I went in super excited for the game assuming it would be a slam dunk.

Last edited:

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
I will play it with my grandkids and tell them old yarns about a PS2 game called Shadow of the Colossus.
Eh, they will probably have played the 16k SUHD re-remake at that point.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Hope he could get back down to a 4 year dev cycle this time.

Last edited:

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
I am ready. The Last Guardian catapulted itself into my top five games of all time and with as much as I like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus too, I am already in for whatever that man makes next. I'll happily wait as long as need be for it. If I can wait seven years for The Last Guardian, I'll happily wait as long for the next thing.

Now the question is who will publish it?

Pelagic II

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
This game is coming out in 2023 at the earliest lmao. Probably even later imo.

This is Ueda we are talking about... He is the king of delays and protracted development!

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
TLG left a bad taste in my mouth. Hope it's closer to Ico and SOTC.

TLG is a game I have a true dislike for. What a disappointment. Absolutely couldn't continue playing and it's very rare I am like that with games.

I mean, it's not even like the game can't be good, it just committed some cardinal sins.

- performance (awful even on the Pro)
- controls (crawl or run, nope), camera (slow and laggy, nope)
- Trico (did this thing actually work?)

Fuck them all. I coulda maybe dealt with one being bad, but not all 3. Completely killed it for me. Such a shame. I went in super excited for the game assuming it would be a slam dunk.

It performed just fine on the Pro

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
"rivals the scale of previous titles"

Take a generation, hell make it two. I'll be there day one.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
This game is coming out in 2023 at the earliest lmao. Probably even later imo.

This is Ueda we are talking about... He is the king of delays and protracted development!
King of delays because of troubled 1 or of 3 games.

then what should we call Kamiya and Kojima? emperor's of cancelled games because only one of their games got canned?

What a silly thing to say.

we dont know if it's ps exclusive or not yet right?

We don't. I have a feeling it's multiplat.