• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
That "I traded nudies before I kissed the first woman who wasn't my mother" thread had promise for an epic ride.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Ever wondered why we don't really have those "thread summary" posts anymore?

oXU5mFm.gif

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Just a question. I got plenty about the movie:

• Why make Rey's parent's nobodies when the previous film set it up as a potential mystery?
  • Who actually is snoke and how did he gain power?
  • How can Snoke know so much about the Force but not sense betrayal?
  • Where is the Republic? There are millions of planets.
  • Blue milk?
  • The fight scene was bad

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Just a question. I got plenty about the movie:

• Why make Rey's parent's nobodies when the previous film set it up as a potential mystery?
  • Who actually is snoke and how did he gain power?
  • How can Snoke know so much about the Force but not sense betrayal?
  • Where is the Republic? There are millions of planets.
  • Blue milk?
  • The fight scene was bad

Can we talk about how great the MCU instead?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Can we talk about how great the MCU instead?
Spider-Man: Homecoming lacks themes that weave throughout the characters. Like, his best friend adds nothing to the story. His love interest is a vehicle to have a choice when fighting the father. MJ isn't a character. All these characters are wasted. Like, what emotional core is even driving Spider-Man? I know Ash in Pokemon: The First Movie is driven by love for Pikachu, all Pokemon, and no violence (but he makes his animals fight each other), and that movie is a children's movie that got eviscerated by critics. So why should I allow Spider-Man: Homecoming's theme of adolescent acceptance in a super squad to be taken seriously?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man: Homecoming lacks themes that weave throughout the characters. Like, his best friend adds nothing to the story. His love interest is a vehicle to have a choice when fighting the father. MJ isn't a character. All these characters are wasted. Like, what emotional core is even driving Spider-Man? I know Ash in Pokemon: The First Movie is driven by love for Pikachu, all Pokemon, and no violence (but he makes his animals fight each other), and that movie is a children's movie that got eviscerated by critics. So why should I allow Spider-Man: Homecoming's theme of adolescent acceptance in a super squad to be taken seriously?

That's better
You're wrong but this is better

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Ok, you all scared off Chief Fun Required with the star wars shit.

Star Trek Deep Space 9 was better in its core seasons than all of star wars put together, change my mind.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
This thread has actually been therapeutic, OP's premise is kinda valid! Era has been depressing for a while, lots of horrible real world events to discuss, lots of arguing and such. it's probably not good for our mental health to be constantly arguing online with strangers.

What I've learned over the last year or so is that people bring the energy of the world in to the forum with them. The last couple of years have been really, really difficult for most of our members. So much has happened and the landscape of the internet has changed so much.

For me, nothing encapsulates that change more than Twitter itself.

I remember how I used Twitter from 2012-2016. My feed was 100% jokes. I used Twitter to decompress and distract myself while I was in college because I knew if I went there I would have a lot to laugh at. It was cathartic, comedic, and comforting. But without changing who I followed at all my timeline changed dramatically by 2016. My Twitter became all politics all the time and nothing but bad news with the occasional defeatist retweet of a joke from years ago. Twitter is no longer a place I go to have fun. It's a news feed of angry, sad, and occasionally funny people. All the same faces, all the same accounts, but a lot has changed.

I think people also discount the fact a lot of us are simply getting older. It's easy to say things were more fun five or ten years ago. But we are five or ten years older too. We remember things better than they used to be and also tire more easily from how things actually are.

In 2019, we are in the midst of new civil rights movement. Nations are contending with fascist despots causing irreversible damage to their countries. Climate change is rapidly reducing longterm sustainability of the planet. People who didn't use to bother with politics now can't afford to turn their head away. But when I think of 2014, I didn't worry about any of this. I remember Flappy Bird and that Ellen DeGeneres selfie at the Oscars and Justin Bieber getting arrested. It's not like that for me now. Things are different.

The world has changed. I have changed. The internet has changed. We are just collectively madder, sadder, and less likely to be in a good mood when we log on to Twitter or Reddit or ResetEra or anywhere else online. People say it a lot, but the best you can do is be the change you wish to see in the community. Have more patience, react more calmly, and try to stay positive even though it's hard to. I think no matter what we have to still love each other. We are all we have.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
When people say this place isn't fun what exactly are they referring to? I see this constantly brought up here but aren't exactly sure what they're talking about.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
What I've learned over the last year or so is that people bring the energy of the world in to the forum with them. The last couple of years have been really, really difficult for most of our members. So much has happened and the landscape of the internet has changed so much.

I remember how I used Twitter from 2012-2016. My feed was 100% jokes. I used Twitter to decompress and distract myself while I was in college because I knew if I went there I would have a lot to laugh at. It was cathartic, comedic, and comforting. But without changing who I followed at all my timeline changed dramatically by 2016. My Twitter became all politics all the time and nothing but bad news with the occasional defeatist retweet of a joke from years ago. Twitter is no longer a place I go to have fun. It's a news feed of angry, sad, and occasionally funny people. All the same faces, all the same accounts, but a lot has changed.

I think people also discount the fact a lot of us are simply getting older. It's easy to say things were more fun five or ten years ago. But we are five or ten years older too. We remember things better than they used to be and also tire more easily from how things actually are.

In 2019, we are in the midst of new civil rights movement. Nations are contending with fascist depots causing irreversible damage to their countries. Climate change is rapidly reducing longterm sustainability of the planet. People who didn't use to bother with politics now can't afford to turn their head away. But when I think of 2014, I didn't worry about any of this. I remember Flappy Bird and that Ellen DeGeneres selfie at the Oscars and Justin Bieber getting arrested. It's not like that for me now. Things are different.

The world has changed. I have changed. The internet has changed. We are just collectively madder, sadder, and less likely to be in a good mood when we log on to Twitter or Reddit or ResetEra or anywhere else online. People say it a lot, but the best you can do is be the change you wish to see in the community. Have more patience, react more calmly, and try to stay positive even though it's hard to. I think no matter what we have to still love each other. We are all we have.
ok you're completely right but now i'm depressed

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
There should be less of a stranglehold on threads that could spin out of control. Moderate when it does. Riffing on Mediking isn't a problem unless he sees it as a problem.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

In 2019, we are in the midst of new civil rights movement. Nations are contending with fascist despots causing irreversible damage to their countries. Climate change is rapidly reducing longterm sustainability of the planet. People who didn't use to bother with politics now can't afford to turn their head away. But when I think of 2014, I didn't worry about any of this. I remember Flappy Bird and that Ellen DeGeneres selfie at the Oscars and Justin Bieber getting arrested. It's not like that for me now. Things are different.

Yeah I was on twitter during those years as well, but eventually quit it. I tend to not stick around on social platforms like Myspace, etc, for long. Never joined Facebook. I found that these kind of sites all end up echo chambers with a whole lot of "look at what I ate! Look at my baby eating it! Look at meeeee!" and "why did you like her post? Why did you say you weren't available that day when I saw that you were online?" etc, etc. Yeesh, what a nightmare. At least on a forum like this we can discuss things in more depth, and encounter different opinions and such (although Era can sometimes be an echo chamber too...)

For the last few weeks I've been educating myself on the entire history of the Romans, and it's proving a real alarming context for the state of the USA right now, scary times! I guess it is heartening to know so many people are getting into politics and learning how their lives are governed. (I mean, better late than never...)

Through my binging of all things Roman history, I'm also becoming a fan of stoicism (via Marcu Aurelius), which I think is a philosophy that has influenced modern CBT therapy, it's definitely calmed my nerves lately.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Would a thread on amusing personal wardrobe malfunction s be fun? Had to manage a small rip in my jeans right by my back pocket all day. Use of masking and electrical tape, shirt placement and minimal walking around was required.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was a joke. The common adage is that one is so focused on their past they don't appreciate the present. I made it about memes as a playful jape. I was "having fun online" with you.

I am sorry.
Don't apologize, we need more of that. This thread can't shake the hint of bite and sarcasm around the fun though. It kind of oozes out of the title change.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Don't apologize, we need more of that. This thread can't shake the hint of bite and sarcasm around the fun though. It kind of oozes out of the title change.

The title change was also meant to be fun. If the mod who changed the title was here he would probably say "the idea was to poke fun at ourselves by creating a fake OT for fun" and "lots of mods are posting in this thread because it's fun for us too."

Then they would say "the hardest part of being staff is members always expecting the worst of you but hopefully you'll see I'm just nearing thirty and not really funny anymore but the joke was always supposed to be on us, not you."

Unfortunately after the title change that mod was canceled. That mod's name?

Albert Einstein.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Would a thread on amusing personal wardrobe malfunction s be fun? Had to manage a small rip in my jeans right by my back pocket all day. Use of masking and electrical tape, shirt placement and minimal walking around was required.

only if the rip was on your butt

Everyone loves a good ass ripping joke

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I didn't think mods were allowed to have fun, I thought you had to be mindless report queue robots who never make mistakes and please everybody all the time
When people say this place isn't fun what exactly are they referring to? I see this constantly brought up here but aren't exactly sure what they're talking about.
Basically "progressives and minorities need to stop caring about things"

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I love how 'sanitized fun' is being tossed around because a thread wherein someone elaborately described the act of groping his coworker's breasts got locked.
This framing of that thread is proving the point, though. Instead of saying it was a thread about a guy expressing youthful excitement over the girl he's been sexting with inviting him to go makeout and stuff you reduce it down to "groping a co-workers breast". Oh, the horror.

Sure, both summaries are technically accurate, but one of them is also a fun way to see it and the other takes three sentences written about a first sexual experience and frames it in a way that is supposed to look creepy and or misogynistic.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This framing of that thread is proving the point, though. Instead of saying it was a thread about a guy expressing youthful excitement over the girl he's been sexting with inviting him to go makeout and stuff you reduce it down to "groping a co-workers breast". Oh, the horror.

Sure, both summaries are technically accurate, but one of them is also a fun way to see it and the other takes three sentences written about a first sexual experience and makes it creepy and almost puritan.

It's not a party until someone throws out the accusation of Puritanism.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Sure, both summaries are technically accurate, but one of them is also a fun way to see it and the other takes three sentences written about a first sexual experience and frames it in a way that is supposed to look creepy and or misogynistic.

now that you mentions yeah o.o that posts makes it seems like mediking sexually assaulted someone