Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
One of the side effects is that all your Funi-bought digital copies are gonna go poof on April 2 because CR doesn't support digital copies. Lots of other info in the article.
This would bug me more if I ever actually used any of my Funimation digital codes, but it's still crappy.
GFv2vhkW8AAelxK

This blurb really makes one furious "We understand you may have concerns" my ass. Trying to turn this answer into an ad for Crunchyroll halfway through is fucking absurd
"We're not giving you anything and nobody can make us, but hey you can sign up to watch other stuff you still won't own!"

Sony gobbling up as many anime distributors as they could has easily been one of the worst things to happen to the industry.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
That is a substantial price hike, and feels overdoing it.

Hope this backfires on them because doubling the price basically, wth.
The person should probably edit that post and/or remove it. The guy who tweeted it out said he had a grandfathered price at Funimation and they were switching him to the Ultra Fan or whatever is the most expensive tier of CR right now. There is still (for now) a cheaper baseline option.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
RMevQpX.jpg

I miss it already (since I dropped it in lieu of Crunchyroll after the merger process started). It was far from a perfect app, but it was a far better app than Crunchyroll which after like 2 years of use has only got slightly less shit, and is still 100% not available on my TV. I hate having to turn on my PS5 just to watch anime. The worse app won, sadly.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It's still wild to me that Crunchyroll went from a site that linked pirate fan sub streams to legitimate streaming site, to essentially controlling the North American anime market. Like how did this even happen?

IIRC it was worse, they basically stole fansubs without permission from the owning company or the fansubbers and aired them, right?

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC it was worse, they basically stole fansubs without permission from the owning company or the fansubbers and aired them, right?

It's been so long that I don't remember exactly, but I don't recall them hosting anything directly on their site. Maybe they did hosting later as they were trying to go legit. Either way it was all shady.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
We need regulations to help protect people's digital purchases... the ability for companies to just let it all go up in smoke is bullshit to the extreme. And the worst part is, people treat this like it's a given. "You bought it at a digital store, so you don't really own it" Well, let's fix that.

I don't think we have to worry about apple or google locking people out of their purchases for a long time yet, but some of these outliers like vudu... you never know when they could decide to close up shop and then what do people do with all those 'purchases' they made?

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That fucking price hike... Arrogant Sony is back.
I know you're at least partially joking with the arrogant Sony quip, but it's not really a price hike. I have explained this several times in this thread but I'll do it one final time in more detail.

Funimation had two service tiers:
Premium at 7.99/month, 79.99/year
Premium Plus at 9.99/month, 99.99/year

Crunchyroll has three service tiers:
Fan at 7.99/month, 79.99/year (with purchase of a gift card available in their store, otherwise you can only subscribe monthly)
Mega Fan at 9.99/month
Ultimate Fan at 14.99/month

It is a modest price hike if you were on a grandfathered plan at Funimation, but that is mainly because in some cases they are moving you to the MIDDLE tier of Crunchyroll, not the cheapest tier. They were also discounting that at $99.99 for a year which is a plan that can no longer be signed up for, but I digress. Simply cancel and sub at FAN to receive pricing that is equivalent to Funimation Premium (though, admittedly still a little higher than the grandfathered older plan that hasn't existed for years).

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. This all-digital future can fuck right off. These corporations do not care at all.
But those digital copies were only included with physical media, so this is a moot point. Then removing the digital copy is an inconvenience but nowhere near as bad as a service like Netflix or Vudu doing the same thing since you still have your copy somewhere.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I know you're at least partially joking with the arrogant Sony quip, but it's not really a price hike. I have explained this several times in this thread but I'll do it one final time in more detail.

Funimation had two service tiers:
Premium at 7.99/month, 79.99/year
Premium Plus at 9.99/month, 99.99/year

Crunchyroll has three service tiers:
Fan at 7.99/month, 79.99/year (with purchase of a gift card available in their store, otherwise you can only subscribe monthly)
Mega Fan at 9.99/month
Ultimate Fan at 14.99/month

It is a modest price hike if you were on a grandfathered plan at Funimation, but that is mainly because in some cases they are moving you to the MIDDLE tier of Crunchyroll, not the cheapest tier. They were also discounting that at $99.99 for a year which is a plan that can no longer be signed up for, but I digress. Simply cancel and sub at FAN to receive pricing that is equivalent to Funimation Premium (though, admittedly still a little higher than the grandfathered older plan that hasn't existed for years).

Yeah fair, and I was joking yes haha. ÂŁ60 for the year in the UK, so gotta wait and see how much it'll go up here.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
But those digital copies were only included with physical media, so this is a moot point. Then removing the digital copy is an inconvenience but nowhere near as bad as a service like Netflix or Vudu doing the same thing since you still have your copy somewhere.

Me personally, all my digital copies came from physical blurays that I bought. (Though I am slightly annoyed because a few came with extra OVAs that aren't streamable, but were made available digitally, so I gotta dig out my Blurays if I want to watch those particular episodes again.)

HOWEVER, with that said....

Funimation DID have a pure digital storefront for those who wanted to purchase episodes directly. Now, did enough people partake in it to warrant significant blowback? Based on the obvious statement they released, doubtful.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

Nah. It's still bad for consumers regardless, so I thoroughly disagree.

Bengraven