• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Some games have dialogue which is supposed to be funny, or characters that are supposed to be a consistent source of comedy relief.

Let me tell you how much I could not stand Borderlands, and in particular Claptrap. Like, actually unbearable. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is still one of the only games I have ever given up on halfway through. I simply could not go on any longer.

Thread inspired by the Sunset Overdrive thread where many people are saying they were put off by the humour.

Edit: A series of games that did actually make me laugh my ass off at times is MGS.

Last edited:

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
GTAV's humour isn't even satire most of the time—it just becomes exactly what it attempts to lampoon

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Borderlands didn't bother me at all for the most part at least 1 and 2. I didn't play far enough into 3 to give real feedback on that one though. Sunset Overdrive however was just....ugh. It didn't help I'm sure that I didn't like the game, but the humor was just fucking awful to me.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Borderlands is my easy answer too and I'd also add goat simulator. I just don't get the fun factor in playing it. I've tried it before with friends and it just feels like it's trying too hard.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
- This is probably a fairly common opinion, but I found the Zeus/Prometheus narration in Immortals fairly grating.

- I am one of the few who was a little lukewarm on the original RDR (loved the sequel though). The main reason was that they went for the same edgelord "satire" they use in GTA games, and it just really didn't work for me in that setting.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands, I liked 2 originally, went back like 2 years later and got hit with non-stop cringe.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
None of Undertale's humor landed with me.
In fact, the entire tone of Undertale was kind of obnoxious to me.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Drakengard 3... it was literal piss and shit jokes.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Every GTA.

I also found Paper Mario Color Splash obnoxious. Kinda weird considering I like Origami King and the other Paper Mario's. Something about it just really rubbed me the wrong way.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Sunset Overdrive. Gorgeous art direction but most of the humour felt kinda flat IMO. Bit similar like R&C 2016.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
Lair of the Clockwork God. You literally get the ability to wall climb by putting semen on a pair of gloves. Just, the entire tone didn't work for me.

jack.

Oct 27, 2017
Trover Saves the Universe. It was pretty funny at first but by like hour 3 or 4 it got insanely grating for me.

Deleted member 20856

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maneater. The landmarks were so bad, as if eight year old me came up with them. And after a few hours I just had to mute the voice-over.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Battletoads (2020). I get what they were going for with the present-day cartoon humor, but just... I found that none of it worked :/

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Practically all "funny" games. Borderlands, Bulletstorm, Duke Nukem, Sunset Overdrive, Conker's Bad Fur Day, etc.. etc.. All terrible, "edgy", and cringey.

Some games have been really successful though. Portal/Portal 2 are flawless. And The Stanley Parable.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Like Spring-Loaded said above, GTA is pretty much all annoying frat boy comedy that becomes the thing it's supposedly trying to lampoon.

Sunset Overdrive. Gorgeous art direction but most of the humour felt kinda flat IMO. Bit similar like R&C 2016.

I'm just finishing it up now on PC, and I felt it does pick up in the latter half.

I feel Bulletstorm is sorta similar where it comes off very lowbrow edgelord at first but the writing is actually pretty decent as the game goes on.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
GTAV pretends it's witty but it's just painfully unfunny. They are trying SO hard to cram in jokes everywhere and not one of them is funny.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Borderlands, definitely.

Immortals.... is a great idea, poorly executed. It's just not very good, it falls flat so often that when something does land it seems like it's by luck more than from being well written.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Donut County. It's not meant to be "In Your Face" funny, but it tries to be quirky with its dialogues, and these got annoying very fast for me.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Almost all of them. Humor is 90% about timing, and games are generally really poor about well-timed, naturally flowing conversations. That puts the entire brunt of the work on the script, which very few games can rely on alone. Even games that I generally think have really clever and funny writing like the Paper Mario series, they rarely ever make me laugh. It's more that I smile and think "heh, that's funny"

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Immortals Fenyx Rising

Enjoyed the game but ended up skipping every single line of dialogue lol

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i remember really not liking the humor in the bad company games. but apparently people remember the dialogue quite fondly.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Borderlands 3. Holy shit that game's writing/humor was so bad I had to drop it after 12 hours

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
I don't think I laughed once during my playthrough of GTA V, where a lot of the content was intended to be funny.

Also, not to beat a dead horse but I found BL2 and Tales of the Borderlands to be funny, particularly because of Handsome Jack. But man, BL3 was rough

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
Borderlands 3 was pretty bad and i liked Borderlands 1/2 A LOT.

Same for me. I loved Borderlands 1 & 2 and thought the Pre-Sequel was just okay, but I hated Borderlands 3. Enjoyed the gunplay but hated the humor and story enough to never go back after my first play-through. I bought the deluxe version with the DLC season pass and never even bothered with anything past the first DLC.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I've never outright hated the humor in Borderlands, but I grew out of it. It's both not vile enough nor clever enough for me anymore. Although I remember the first game being the least obnoxious, haven't played 3 yet.

Probably Postal 2 as well. The emergent gameplay stuff can be funny, but the actual writing and scenarios are a whole can of worms and largely not clever or funny.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
GTA. It's gone way past being pointed satire and now just revels in what it's mocking.