• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

a stray cat

Nov 13, 2017
Bay Area
I would like to share with you a commission I got from a girl at Deviantart.. Scar and my OC :^)
XlK0X66.jpg

I love her style and it's the first time someone tried doing my OC feral style <3
You guys about to take over a neighboring pride? :3

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Have you guys seen SUPER TURBO ATOMIC NINJA RABBIT?

It's this art project to recreate this guy's childhood comic into what might have been a real 90s show opening.

https://vimeo.com/137413473

It's really well done.

Every time this is brought up, i feel compelled to mention my absolutely fave part of this:

The video they originally posted (with the VHS filter and claim to be a 'found episode') has an out of context randomly inserted scene of the frog guy that breaks the action sequence of the intro, while the unfiltered raw version (linked by you) does not have that instead having the frog guy show off his nunchucks.

This is a reference to the Thundercats intro which had an altered version that randomly inserted a shot of panthro working a computer to cover a shot of him using his nunchucks, this was because during the 80's parents were furious about cartoons showing characters use nunchucks, as they were associated with gangs and very easy for kids to make from strings and sticks.

rstzkpf

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time this is brought up, i feel compelled to mention my absolutely fave part of this:

The video they originally posted (with the VHS filter and claim to be a 'found episode') has an out of context randomly inserted scene of the frog guy that breaks the action sequence of the intro, while the unfiltered raw version (linked by you) does not have that instead having the frog guy show off his nunchucks.

This is a reference to the Thundercats intro which had an altered version that randomly inserted a shot of panthro working a computer to cover a shot of him using his nunchucks, this was because during the 80's parents were furious about cartoons showing characters use nunchucks, as they were associated with gangs and very easy for kids to make from strings and sticks.
They really committed to trying to make people think it was a real show. I respect that.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Have you guys seen SUPER TURBO ATOMIC NINJA RABBIT?

It's this art project to recreate this guy's childhood comic into what might have been a real 90s show opening.

https://vimeo.com/137413473

It's really well done.

I remember seeing this when it first came out, really impressive. Here's another great animation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLJVqFAPaxU

Also never got around to uploading this when I commissioned it. It's me being my usual chatty self.
1500500188.brian577_explanation_1_.png

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Let's like Mr. Wulf got caught napping. By Myoti on FA. I love what she did with the little nose and the tail floof.

7KvBZFF.png

Kater

Oct 25, 2017

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
Alright.

I've always been fascinated by anthropomorphism as a device (blame Redwall and Disney), but I'd kept pretty aloof of "furry" because of the bad rep. A chance encounter with a meet in London offered me a bit more perspective:
So, where to start.
I'm currently in London on account of business. I had all of today to explore the city, etc. but had already exhausted most sights. After going through the whole of the British Museum's Collection, I found myself wondering towards St. Paul's Cathedral, when what should I stumble across but a gaggle of individuals wearing tails and a whole bunch of full on mascots. This is the first time I had encountered furries in the wild. As such I was struck with curiosity and couldn't help but approach a few individuals to inquire about what "this" was and why. Since it was by far the most interesting thing I had seen in London, one thing lead to another and I found myself making pleasant conversation with some very friendly people while simultaneously observing and occasionally interacting with the aforementioned mascots. I was extremely impressed by the craft many of them had while also befuddled by certain choices (lensless glasses kill me now). In the end I found myself enjoying a slice of London life eating dinner in a Witherspoon's with an entirely unconventional but still very human group. Though a few people are altogether a bit too... bawdy (and what's with the excessive touching?), y'all are alright.
While there is a component of fetishism which is still an undeniable part of the fandom, it was clear to me that it didn't represent a complete picture, nor a vital component. Shortly thereafter I had a good experience with a member of the furry network in Titanfall 2 via mutally and repeatedly destroying a member of the opposing team who was being a complete jerk because of said player's affiliation. As a result, I joined the network mostly to continue to spite that individual. I ended up staying because its members were well mannered and friendly, and vitally, more numerous and active than my former home network. While there was some minor harassment at first, the way I play spoke for itself and repped the network. Even started sketching up a "fursona" of sorts since people kept asking what mine was. Eventually I catch a mention of a convention in the area and my curiousity was piqued. What the hell is a furry convention anyway?
I had ultimately decided I wasn't going to go, reasoning that it probably wasn't something I would enjoy. It would seem fate had other plans. I had just left the Seattle Central Public Library, when my phone suddenly flatlined from a 50% charge (Nexus 6p). Seeing as how I don't live very close to the area, I needed a functional phone in order to get home for the night. Rounding the block I see what is unmistakably a gaggle of furries in front of a hotel. Given my previous positive interaction with a group in London, I approach the group and ask if anyone can lend me a USB-C charger. One young woman wearing a dog head with a blue nose quickly responds that she has one and obliges to retrieve it. After doing so, I am left sitting in one of the hotel foyers idly watching the scene unfold around me as my phone is resuscitated. There's music playing upstairs. Individuals of all shapes and species keep arriving in my little foyer expecting to find the source of the music in an adjacent ballroom, so I become an impromptu usher directing them upward. The music sounds pretty great and at this point my curiosity is thoroughly piqued. Finally my phone finishes charging enough to get me home, but I don't really want to leave. What the hell, why not. Asking around, I find out where registration is, obtain a badge, and ascend the stairs into a laser-lit scene of surrealism set to a beat.

That's how I accidentally a whole furry convention.

Here's me wearing someone's head after they insisted I try it on:
Suffice it to say I had a surprisingly great time. People were welcoming, the music was generally good, the dance competitions were a lot of fun to watch, and the artistry and craftsmanship on display was impressive. Unexpectedly, I also had the opportunity to flex my Johann Sebastian Joust skills. I made some friends, and stayed in contact with them post-con. Fast forward a bit more. I'm on my way to a Christmas party hosted by some friends of mine and I stop at a thrift shop to find a white elephant gift. I notice an ice skating rink adjacent to the location and look for the posted hours on the door. I find the hours, but to my shock, I also find a flyer advertising what is clearly a furry holiday party happening right then and there. Given my proclivity for stumbling into these things, I can't help but proceed to enter the party for a short time before continuing on to my originally scheduled event. I do take the opportunity to return later in the night to do some ice skating and even encounter the fursuiter who bested me in the "championship" game of Johann Sebastian Joust.

Then, more recently I ended up taking a road trip down to Mount Hood for some nighttime inner tubing with one of the friends I made while at ANW and a group of other furries. I then find today that I was added by said friend to a furry group on Facebook.

So yeah. I think I dig it.

Last edited:

Weasel

Oct 25, 2017
Heyo. Succumbed to furry around two years ago.
Goes to show how disastrous 2016 was. haha

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
Simplified lines, did some light coloring and bad shading with my mouse in Gimp, added a tacky background, and think I'm ready to start churning out lots of garbage instead of a little at a time so I can actually improve.

EDIT: Normalized.

Last edited:

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Simplified lines, did some light coloring and bad shading with my mouse in Gimp, added a tacky background, and think I'm ready to start churning out lots of garbage instead of a little at a time so I can actually improve.

img_20180108_235921_46irft.jpg

I really want to put shades on this wolf and animate the background

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I think this year will be my fifth, but TFF is my homecon (20-30 minute drive) so maybe that's not saying much :)

I live in Nebraska, RMFC was supposed to be my main con but that obviously didn't work out (only went to RMFC 2016). Might check out Denfur some year but I think I'll stick with TFF as my yearly con.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Nominations for the 2017 Ursa Major Awards are open now (well, they've been open for like a week...) if anyone wants to contribute: http://www.ursamajorawards.org/nominations.htm

Also, looks like Kyell Gold requested his work not to be considered for nomination this year. Props to him for that. I like his stuff, but there are many talented people who should also get recognition.

Xaltheron

Nov 14, 2017
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I was wandering how best to go about ordering a commission to make the artist's job as easy as possible, I've never commissioned anything before so I'm kinda unfamiliar with the process.
Like is it best to be as detailed as possible? And is it a good idea to use visual references as much as I can? Such as using other pics for examples of what I'd like. I don't want to be too vague, but I don't want to overload them with info either.
I'm probably overthinking this as always, I'd just rather avoid being a pain in the butt if I can help it :P

Bionet

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I was wandering how best to go about ordering a commission to make the artist's job as easy as possible, I've never commissioned anything before so I'm kinda unfamiliar with the process.
Like is it best to be as detailed as possible? And is it a good idea to use visual references as much as I can? Such as using other pics for examples of what I'd like. I don't want to be too vague, but I don't want to overload them with info either.
I'm probably overthinking this as always, I'd just rather avoid being a pain in the butt if I can help it :P
Yep, visual references are always the best if possible, especially for characters with specific details or designs. Usually an artist will have an info page somewhere that details their pricing and information needed too. Artists should also be fine with you asking them if they need more info!

Xaltheron

Nov 14, 2017
Yep, visual references are always the best if possible, especially for characters with specific details or designs. Usually an artist will have an info page somewhere that details their pricing and information needed too. Artists should also be fine with you asking them if they need more info!
Thanks ^_^
Yeah I have a few in mind who offer sketch commissions, which are far more within my budget.