• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you view the new Nintendo Switch model in terms of a hardware upgrade?

• As a mid-gen refresh (e.g. Xbox One S → Xbox One X, etc.)

Votes: 114 48.7%
  • As an iterative successor (e.g. iPhone 11 → iPhone 12, etc.)

Votes: 120 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
This thing ain't ending before somebody leaks detailed documentation to digital foundry. And even then we have a die shot to look forward to.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
WUST 2.0 about to come to an end. Soon it will get a subtitle, will it be "WUST 2.0: The Redemption" or "WUST 2.0: Eternal Darkness"

Unless you think Nintendo are going to do the unthinkable and actually announce detailed specs, we've still got a long road ahead of us. I remember poring over Wii U die shots to try to figure it out long after I already had one plugged into my TV playing games.

Dec 21, 2020
This is only Act 1 folks, we haven't gone over the other acts, true ending or the secret ending

So, hold onto your scripts, you still have a part to play in this show.

And then there's the after show. To be VR or not to be VR?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you think Nintendo are going to do the unthinkable and actually announce detailed specs, we've still got a long road ahead of us. I remember poring over Wii U die shots to try to figure it out long after I already had one plugged into my TV playing games.
I actually don't think it will be too hard to figure out performance, we might not have exact numbers right away, but we will see stuff like DLSS and if a game is running better than it did on the PS4, which should give us an indication based on what is physically possible to narrow the range of performance further than what we could with the Wii U at launch... In fact, I remember in the beyond 3d forums, someone was able to take a EA need for speed game running on Wii U and PC and determine that the Wii U was probably running only slightly more than 160gflops R700-800 series because of how the game performed on a 128ALU R900 series GPU, only running slightly worse, a couple frames.

Not saying that will happen again, because there is no RTX gaming card that will be as cut down as the new Switch model, but we should be able to say it is under 1TFLOPs, around 1.2TFLOPs, around 1.5TFLOPs or higher, just based on how games run vs PS4 versions that aren't CPU limited.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
This is only Act 1 folks, we haven't gone over the other acts, true ending or the secret ending

So, hold onto your scripts, you still have a part to play in this show.

And then there's the after show. To be VR or not to be VR?

I want them to announce VR but I will err on the side of caution.

But I think they could easily rework their labo VR software into a bundle with their actual VR headset.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't think it will be too hard to figure out performance, we might not have exact numbers right away, but we will see stuff like DLSS and if a game is running better than it did on the PS4, which should give us an indication based on what is physically possible to narrow the range of performance further than what we could with the Wii U at launch... In fact, I remember in the beyond 3d forums, someone was able to take a EA need for speed game running on Wii U and PC and determine that the Wii U was probably running only slightly more than 160gflops R700-800 series because of how the game performed on a 128ALU R900 series GPU, only running slightly worse, a couple frames.

Not saying that will happen again, because there is no RTX gaming card that will be as cut down as the new Switch model, but we should be able to say it is under 1TFLOPs, around 1.2TFLOPs, around 1.5TFLOPs or higher, just based on how games run vs PS4 versions that aren't CPU limited.

I was kind of joking. I don't expect any detailed specs from Nintendo, but I think a leak similar to the original Switch is pretty likely, and even if that doesn't happen, Nvidia is sure to use the same SoC in other products (like a new Shield TV) eventually, at which point we'll be able to easily get access to all the details. The new Switch hardware will presumably have the benefit of being based on much more standard CPU and GPU architectures, which will make things much easier to figure out compared to the insanity that was the Wii U architecture.

Dec 21, 2020
I want them to announce VR but I will err on the side of caution.

But I think they could easily rework their labo VR software into a bundle with their actual VR headset.
Oh I was referencing future endeavors in the title, things that they may be eyeing into, VR being one of the possible hardware venture down the road. Not that this model will be doing vr necessarily.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Oh I was referencing future endeavors in the title, things that they may be eyeing into, VR being one of the possible hardware venture down the road. Not that this model will be doing vr necessarily.

I think this new model could easily do VR. As I've pointed out you could have a headset with a 1440p / 4K screen, gyroscope and battery, have the new Switch run in docked mode displaying on the VR headset at a higher resolution using DLSS's VR comparability tow make up the resolution difference.

Plus it'd then be wireless and cheaper than other similar experiences 😁

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I was kind of joking. I don't expect any detailed specs from Nintendo, but I think a leak similar to the original Switch is pretty likely, and even if that doesn't happen, Nvidia is sure to use the same SoC in other products (like a new Shield TV) eventually, at which point we'll be able to easily get access to all the details. The new Switch hardware will presumably have the benefit of being based on much more standard CPU and GPU architectures, which will make things much easier to figure out compared to the insanity that was the Wii U architecture.
Yeah right on the money there... My dream reveal right now is that Nintendo announces the reveal of the new Switch model today for Tuesday, then Monday night, Nvidia talks about the new Switch and the SoC that powers it, all the RTX technology in it and how it will impact games, with Tuesday showing off the actual hardware and do some side by side comparisons of Pokemon Legends and or Splatoon 3, also Nintendo will have to take a new approach to this device, since it is replacing the current model, so maybe some exciting marketing like they did for gameboy color.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
How many big non indie games hit 1080p on OG Switch? Barely any Nintendo games even do unless they're ports. Think Smash Ultimate is one of the few.
ARMS
Animal Crossing: NH
Fire Emblem Warriors
Splatoon 2 (Dynamic)
Pokemon Sword & Sheld (Dynamic)
Luigi's Mansion 3 (Dynamic)
Ring Fit Adventure
Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Dynamic)
Dragon Ball FighterZ (Dynamic)
Ori and the Blind Forest
TLOZ: Link's Awakening (technically is a remake. Also dynamic)

Some more could be dynamic but that's just the ones I remember/looked up.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
ARMS
Animal Crossing: NH
Fire Emblem Warriors
Splatoon 2 (Dynamic)
Pokemon Sword & Sheld (Dynamic)
Luigi's Mansion 3 (Dynamic)
Ring Fit Adventure
Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Dynamic)
Dragon Ball FighterZ (Dynamic)
Ori and the Blind Forest
TLOZ: Link's Awakening (technically is a remake. Also dynamic)

Some more could be dynamic but that's just the ones I remember/looked up.

Dynamic barely hit it at all in a lot of cases and you're not even getting it dynamic on games like Mario and Zelda which were year 1. Going forward not many big release will hit 1080p on the OG at all.

LPast

Apr 17, 2021
I think a major goal of this device is to be able to play more of the 8th generation third party titles that the OG could not. The Switch 3 (2025/6) can focus more on the 9th, while that generation is still going on. That's not to say that the new device can't get cross-generation games as well.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I think a major goal of this device is to be able to play more of the 8th generation third party titles that the OG could not. The Switch 3 (2025/6) can focus more on the 9th, while that generation is still going on. That's not to say that the new device can't get cross-generation games as well.
It's going to focus on getting 9th gen games IMO. If the new device sells like the current Switch, it will quickly become market leader for a lot of developer studios that can't afford huge AAAA gaming budgets, because it will likely be spec'd well for the AA to AAA gaming industry, that really just needed the PS4 to have a better CPU and newer GPU.

RennanNT

Dec 2, 2020
It's going to focus on getting 9th gen games IMO. If the new device sells like the current Switch, it will quickly become market leader for a lot of developer studios that can't afford huge AAAA gaming budgets, because it will likely be spec'd well for the AA to AAA gaming industry, that really just needed the PS4 to have a better CPU and newer GPU.
At least until Nintendo drop support for the OG Switch, I would expect that 9th gen games will either target PS5/XBS (AAAA, AAA) or OG Switch. The Pro would mostly just get games on PS4/XB1, including cross-gen, which can't run on OG Switch (or isn't worth it to publishers) and a few "impossible" ports.

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
The most I expect from Nvidia after Nintendo formally announces the new model is a blog post that says the new model supports DLSS (and maybe RTX if RT cores are present) alongside the number of man hours, etc. I don't really expect to hear detailed specs from Nvidia. Outside of dev kit leaks and die shots, the earliest I expect to hear potential specs information that might be related to the new model is early 2022 since Jetson Orin is expected to be released in 2022.

Edit: NateDrake said that Super Nintendo Switch was the name he heard a couple of months ago. (He doesn't know if Super Nintendo Switch will be the final name.) So the final name is the Super Nintendo Switch?

Last edited:

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
Bullshit! They are not announcing it this far ahead.
If the norm for the mid-gen announcements is 2-3 months before release, and it might hit September, we're not much beyond that already. I've said before they wouldn't throw away their normal reasons for waiting to announce just to make for a prettier E3 presentation, but I was assuming a release a month or two later than this. If they announce a few weeks sooner than they otherwise would've, to allow third parties to show their relevant software at one of the biggest gaming events of the year, seems a fair enough reason.
Also Luigi's Mansion 3 comes to mind, and Animal Crossing. There must be some others but I don't know right now.
Though it is worth noting Switch Animal Crossing went with 30fps rather than the 60 of the previous few console games.
As long as the vast majority of PS5/Series games are also being released on PS4/One, doesn't make a lot of difference in the near future.

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
The most I expect from Nvidia after Nintendo formally announces the new model is a blog post that says the new model supports DLSS (and maybe RTX if RT cores are present) alongside the number of man hours, etc. I don't really expect to hear detailed specs from Nvidia. Outside of dev kit leaks and die shots, the earliest I expect to hear potential specs information that might be related to the new model is early 2022 since Jetson Orin is expected to be released in 2022.

Edit: NateDrake said that Super Nintendo Switch was the name he heard a couple of months ago. (He doesn't know if Super Nintendo Switch will be the final name.) So the final name is the Super Nintendo Switch?
I prefer Nintendo Super Switch, but at least it's better than New Nintendo Switch.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Posted these in the Bloomberg thread:

As long as it's backwards compatible, it can be either and both. Past that it's all semantics and marketing.

I do suspect that the majority of games (read indie games) will still focus on the OG Switch, and that the big N titles will be OG games that will be enhanced on the new unit - even if it's just frame rate and resolution. I expect that we'll see some big third party titles (e.g. DQXII, Mass Effect Legendary, Borderlands 3, GTA V, etc) will be exclusive to the new unit over the OG Switch.

I think that makes the beginning of an iterative series of Switch consoles.

I also think that starting with the XBox One and PS4, MS and Sony are also iterative series of consoles, but they're marketing them as to suggest that they are not.
I think that it would be two Nintendo Directs a couple of days apart.

I could see a scenario where they announce two Directs on 6/9 - one a `Special Direct` on 6/10 or 6/11 where they talk about Hardware and show a couple of pretty tech demos, and then an `E3 Direct` on 6/12 - followed by `Treehouse Live` for the rest of the convention. That lets them allow 3rd parties to announce all their stuff (including stuff that would be Switch 2/Pro/whatever exclusive) and get the hardware fervor out of the way before moving on to other things.

I am full of EXCITE! It's making it hard to focus on work.

I prefer Nintendo Super Switch, but at least it's better than New Nintendo Switch.
Switch U!

It will be interesting to see if it's any of the ones we guessed. Super Switch makes me feel warm inside though. If it is, it will be interesting to see if it's Nintendo Super Switch or Super Nintendo Switch. lol.

prid13

Mar 31, 2019
I am full of EXCITE! It's making it hard to focus on work.
I'm beyond excited!!! I've been checking in on this thread almost every day since those March Bloomberg articles, and today has been the best gift so far -- September launch and imminent announcement. I'M SO HYPED! Sadly, some of my mates don't share the excitement as they haven't been following the Switch Pro rumors or the scene and aren't familiar with the credibility of these insider reports, so they're saving their hype till they see the official announcement or the device itself, oh well :(

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they're using Super, they would be crazy not to use "Super Nintendo Switch". Great name and a bit of fanservice for the dedicated people who are most likely to buy in rabidly.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I'm beyond excited!!! I've been checking in on this thread almost every day since those March Bloomberg articles, and today has been the best gift so far -- September launch and imminent announcement. I'M SO HYPED! Sadly, some of my mates don't share the excitement as they haven't been following the Switch Pro rumors or the scene and aren't familiar with the credibility of these insider reports, so they're saving their hype till they see the official announcement or the device itself, oh well :(
I'm having problems keeping my expectation generic. Right now they're:
  • DLSS
  • This Year
I keep wanting to add:
  • 8 gigs of RAM
  • NVMe
  • September
  • Borderlands 3
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • BotW Sequel
  • All the big 3rd party games!!!
Next couple of weeks are going to be tough. Luckily I only have 4 more work days between now and E3. Hooray for vacation right before E3!

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah right on the money there... My dream reveal right now is that Nintendo announces the reveal of the new Switch model today for Tuesday, then Monday night, Nvidia talks about the new Switch and the SoC that powers it, all the RTX technology in it and how it will impact games, with Tuesday showing off the actual hardware and do some side by side comparisons of Pokemon Legends and or Splatoon 3, also Nintendo will have to take a new approach to this device, since it is replacing the current model, so maybe some exciting marketing like they did for gameboy color.

I don't anticipate Nvidia talking about it in a conference keynote (and Computex is very much PC-focussed), but I'm sure they'll drop a press release with some additional info. That said, with new management at Nintendo, they may take a more open approach with revealing hardware details than before. I don't expect them (or Nintendo-approved Nvidia PR) to give any specifics in terms of numbers, as quoting Tflops or GB/s or anything like that is just going to reflect poorly in comparisons with Sony and MS's hardware, but we could get any details that generally make the new hardware look good; ie specific mention of Ampere, tensor cores, DLSS, RT if it's there, etc.

In any case, I think they'll just use footage and screenshots of games running on it to convey how powerful it is rather than the specs themselves. Given the use of DLSS, any well-implemented game will basically over-sell the hardware in terms of performance, so there's no point bringing people back down to earth with real-world specs.

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
I don't anticipate Nvidia talking about it in a conference keynote (and Computex is very much PC-focussed), but I'm sure they'll drop a press release with some additional info. That said, with new management at Nintendo, they may take a more open approach with revealing hardware details than before. I don't expect them (or Nintendo-approved Nvidia PR) to give any specifics in terms of numbers, as quoting Tflops or GB/s or anything like that is just going to reflect poorly in comparisons with Sony and MS's hardware, but we could get any details that generally make the new hardware look good; ie specific mention of Ampere, tensor cores, DLSS, RT if it's there, etc.

In any case, I think they'll just use footage and screenshots of games running on it to convey how powerful it is rather than the specs themselves. Given the use of DLSS, any well-implemented game will basically over-sell the hardware in terms of performance, so there's no point bringing people back down to earth with real-world specs.
Yeah, the most I expect from Nvidia after Nintendo formally announces the new model is a blog post that says the new model supports DLSS (and maybe RTX if RT cores are present) alongside the number of man hours, etc. I don't really expect to hear detailed specs from Nvidia. Outside of dev kit leaks and die shots, the earliest I expect to hear potential specs information that might be related to the new model is early 2022 since Jetson Orin is expected to be released in 2022.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having problems keeping my expectation generic. Right now they're:
  • DLSS
  • This Year
I keep wanting to add:
  • 8 gigs of RAM
  • NVMe
  • September
  • Borderlands 3
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • BotW Sequel
  • All the big 3rd party games!!!
Next couple of weeks are going to be tough. Luckily I only have 4 more work days between now and E3. Hooray for vacation right before E3!

No way NVME is happening. 8 gigs of RAM is probably likely.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect name if this thing is weaker than a smartphone even when in doked mode.
Not necessarily a fair comparison though, at least not if you look at peak performance.

A game console is clocked for sustained performance, most phones are clocked for high peak performance and throttles quickly.

Also a flagship phone costs way more,

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
Not necessarily a fair comparison though, at least not if you look at peak performance.

A game console is clocked for sustained performance, most phones are clocked for high peak performance and throttles quickly.

Also a flagship phone costs way more,
flagship phone don't have a docked mode were they can utilize a lot more watts to increase their power.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Forgot
  • More than 4 usable cores!
Edit: Phones have NVMe now. It's not out of the range of possiblity, and the cost of an NVMe controller has dropped dramatically. The only good argument I've seen is that it might be too much of a power draw.

I still believe.

The issue is that Switch games can run off the internal storage, a microSD card, or from the game cartridge. Nintendo isn't going to massively upgrade the internal storage while still keeping the same cartridge and expandable storage setup - it would be a waste. So they would need to upgrade all 3, which would most definitely raise costs. There are also battery concerns.

The price range for this device seems like it's going to be $329 on the low end, and $399 on the high end. It will have a larger OLED display, most likely six to eight A78 cores, and the absolute latest GPU architecture Nvidia (Ampere or possibly even the unreleased Lovelace). Given that Nintendo expects healthy profit margins on its hardware, it's hard for me to see massive increases across the board in storage speed. Something has to give.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
Yeah, even in the weakest configuration of the Switch (that is reasonable), this thing has a CPU that is many times beyond the PS4's CPU (Ryzen 5 1600 for a 6 core A78 Config).

And, assuming 6SMs of an ampere (to allow DLSS to have enough Tensor cores to run Ultra Performance mode), it would have a GPU that surpasses the PS4's in raw raster power, and then it would also have far more software compatibility with things like Mesh Shading (Unreal Engine 5 Nanite Anyone?), and a more modern shader rendering pipeline that would make things like Software RT (Lumen in UE5 for example), run far better than they would on the OG Switch even without RT Cores.

If the base PS4 is equivalent to a Radeon 7850, which is equivalent to the GTX 570, which is equitable to the GTX 750 Ti . and a 4SM Ampere part is roughly equivalent to that based on the previous discussion in this channel.

I say we can expect a 6SM Ampere part to be roughly equivalent to the GTX 950- GTX 1050 in range or (Accounting for driver/architecture boosts/console optimization), if they make the 50% increase in CUDA Cores over a 4SM part equal 50% more performance, then we could see something within 10% of a 1050 Ti

So this thing would likely have a Ryzen 5 1600 paired with a GTX 950 at the Reasonable Bottom line. of a 6 A78 6SM Part. and that would be a 950 with DLSS, Mesh Shading, far more efficient Shader pipeline, and far better GPU Compute Performance due to how much better the CUDA Cores are.

As for if that can overcome the gap to the PS4 Pro in raster performance? Likely not, but a bit closer than you'd think if the GTX 950 is the equivalent of a 6SM Ampere GPU.

The GTX 950 is on average 56% behind the RX470, which is the equivalent GPU in the PS4 Pro.
But we have to consider that RX 470 is being hobbled by a very slow and bad CPU, so it's being severely CPU Bottlenecked.

I don't think solving CPU Bottlenecking can account for a 56% Performance Uplift, but I do say the better tech in the 6SM Ampere Part, along with the boost from the not terrible CPU could at least shrink that margin down to 25%.