• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you view the new Nintendo Switch model in terms of a hardware upgrade?

• As a mid-gen refresh (e.g. Xbox One S → Xbox One X, etc.)

Votes: 114 48.7%
  • As an iterative successor (e.g. iPhone 11 → iPhone 12, etc.)

Votes: 120 51.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
A Switchfork doesn't need to have the same read speeds as the XSX in order to be able to get games that utilise its SSD (putting aside GPU, CPU, RAM (bandwidth) disparities for the sake of discussion here). Most games will probably target for a lower SSD spec, so any medium that reads close to 1 GB/s (e.g. UFS 2.0) is probably more than enough already. The load on the CPU for such read speeds is a much bigger question mark imo than the actual storage type (internal, external remains a big question mark as to the feasibility, of course). PCs might suffer to a similar degree, though, so I'm curious how that will be handled. A technology like RTX IO (and I think DirectStorage will do something similar?) seems like the best bet for that, but I don't know how demanding such a technology is on the GPU (i.e. does it take away too much processing power from the graphics rendering processes?).
In principle, I don't see any reason why something analogous to RTX IO couldn't be implemented on a Switch-like device, especially if they upgrade to one of the newer, PCIe based memory card formats like SD Express. There'll probably be some sort of overhead, as it appears to basically be offloading some decompression to the GPU, but I don't think we even have any good numbers for it on PC yet, as it's not really out in the wild.

It's probably worth bearing in mind that PCs get more out of this sort of thing than consoles, though, as I believe RTX IO allows data to bypass main RAM and go straight to VRAM. That's not really a consideration on Switch which has a unified memory pool.

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
The card slot is cheap, so I don't expect Nintendo to break compatibility by dropping it, but we may be on the verge of things like required installation and eventually we'll see fewer and fewer games that are even distributed on cartridge.
I feel like mandating game installation in the internal flash storage would require Nintendo to have a minimum of 256 GB of internal flash storage since mandated game installation does take a good chunk of storage size, which I'm not sure Nintendo's willing to do without increasing the price.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
As the creator of both Swoled and Switchfourk I must remind you all that it's Switchfourk, not Switchfork. The latter is just nonsense!

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I feel like mandating game installation in the internal flash storage would require Nintendo to have a minimum of 256 GB of internal flash storage since mandated game installation does take a good chunk of storage size, which I'm not sure Nintendo's willing to do without increasing the price.
Case by case basis. There's a lot of depends-ons here.

Dec 21, 2020
In either case, Nintendo is in some predicament to deal with for such a device, even if they make a very powerful portable console it would be missing in some other aspect or have a caveat

OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Dane is the black knight in some comic. It seems like a codename for T239. One has to have belief that the leak is legit.

I had a midsummer dream about Atlantis, the lost continent and the lost Nintendo handheld. Atlantis was incredible but it was run by a strongman with a strong arm. He ruled Atlantis with an iron fist. It turned out to be Nvidia CEO, Jensen. He was so wealthy because Atlantis, the handheld, not his island continent, was somehow *his* idea and not Nintendo R&D. Atlantis had no Nvidia GPU powering it though, but it did have a StrongARM CPU. The GPU was a mystery. I got ahold of another Atlantis handheld, cracked it open to see the motherboard. Immediately I saw the StrongARM cpu chip, but then noticed two more ASICS on the motherboard. They were labeled Oberon and Puck. I immediately knew that Nintendo must have acquired the chipset Atari was working on for the Jaguar II. This was at least 5 times better than the PS1, although it was no Dreamcast it *was* better 3D hardware than what ended up going into the original Nintendo DS and it seemed comparable to the PSP. I was shocked and I began collecting as many Atlanti handhelds as possible and the dream was over.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
I had a midsummer dream about Atlantis, the lost continent and the lost Nintendo handheld. Atlantis was incredible but it was run by a strongman with a strong arm. He ruled Atlantis with an iron fist. It turned out to be Nvidia CEO, Jensen. He was so wealthy because Atlantis, the handheld, not his island continent, was somehow *his* idea and not Nintendo R&D. Atlantis had no Nvidia GPU powering it though, but it did have a StrongARM CPU. The GPU was a mystery. I got ahold of another Atlantis handheld, cracked it open to see the motherboard. Immediately I saw the StrongARM cpu chip, but then noticed two more ASICS on the motherboard. They were labeled Oberon and Puck. I immediately knew that Nintendo must have acquired the chipset Atari was working on for the Jaguar II. This was at least 5 times better than the PS1, although it was no Dreamcast it *was* better 3D hardware than what ended up going into the original Nintendo DS and it seemed comparable to the PSP. I was shocked and I began collecting as many Atlanti handhelds as possible and the dream was over.

Ha ha what the hell? Fire up the Animus we're getting the rest of this.

Assassin-s-Creed-Revelations-Doesn-t-Have-Puzzles-Relies-on-Animus-Exploration-2.jpg

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
guise! I think I found a better comparison than the GT 1030: a GT 750!

with 4GB of VRAM! :O

definitely an anomally. if you told me these were made for gaming cafes in china, that would be very believable. boasting 512 maxwell cores at 1GHz, it's more powerful than the GT 1030, and with a usable amount of VRAM

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
The GBA exists, yes.

But I knew in the dream that the CPU in Atlantis was running at 200 MHz and what I was seeing on its screen were games that a 16 MHz ARM CPU and beefed up SNES-like 2D hardware could not run.
It was at least Panasonic M2/PSP/Dreamcast/3DS class graphics. Halfway between N64 and Gamecube, on a chipset designed for a cancelled Atari home console that would've released around 1996, the same time frame as the Atlantis. LOL.

Seriously though, I loved my GBA and Gamecube.

Ha ha what the hell? Fire up the Animus we're getting the rest of this.

Assassin-s-Creed-Revelations-Doesn-t-Have-Puzzles-Relies-on-Animus-Exploration-2.jpg

LMAO :)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Don't know when my verified status will be updated but I just wanted to let this specific sub-community know that due to recent NDAs I've signed as a registered Nintendo developer, and my plans to bring my WIP projects to Nintendo hardware, I will no longer be providing any comment on details for any hardware that Nintendo may be working on that has not been publicly announced.

Let me be clear, I have no first-hand knowledge of any future hardware that Nintendo may be developing, nor would I divulge that information if I did. I just wanted to let you all know that due the nature of my new relationship with Nintendo, if you ask me about something that was said in the past and I don't respond to you, you're not waiting indefinitely for an answer or wondering what happened.

Anyway, I hope you all are doing well and continue to make awesome contributions to this diverse community of gamers.

Cheers

Congrats!! Wishing ya all the best on your project!! :)

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I watched a video about the Playstation Vita TV (to join the two different names that the thing had), and even though it was not a commercial success, it physically represents what I'd want to see in a Switch TV.

I'm I'm completely honest, make it slightly larger, put a cartridge port and USB port on the front. On the back we get a slot for storage expansion, two more USB ports, an ethernet port, hdmi, and power.

It's a slick little box.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched a video about the Playstation Vita TV (to join the two different names that the thing had), and even though it was not a commercial success, it physically represents what I'd want to see in a Switch TV.

I'm I'm completely honest, make it slightly larger, put a cartridge port and USB port on the front. On the back we get a slot for storage expansion, two more USB ports, an ethernet port, hdmi, and power.

It's a slick little box.
that definitely exists somewhere in Nintendo. probably shelved at this point. though they could Vita TV it and use it as a dumping ground for leftover parts

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
that definitely exists somewhere in Nintendo. probably shelved at this point. though they could Vita TV it and use it as a dumping ground for leftover parts
I think, because it would use 90% the same electrical components as the Switch, they could manufacture about 500k of them and launch it in a single market. Maybe through just one or two retailers. Think if it's a North America and Gamestop and/or Best Buy exclusive. Package it in its own box without a controller for $100 or $150 or whatever and let the retailers bundle them with a controller and/or memory card or not. Minor amounts of advertising at most. Possibly package them with a joycon charging rail or manufacture more packaged charging grips to go out to the test retailers as well.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry if I sound really repetitive, but if Macronix's 48-layer 3D NAND memory replaces the XtraROM used in all Nintendo Switch Cards, then I don't mind having the internal flash storage for the DLSS model be UFS 2.1, considering Macronix's 48-layer 3D NAND memory is roughly comparable to UFS 2.1, assuming Macronix's 48-layer 3D NAND memory is comparable to Samsung's 48-layer 3D NAND memory found in the Samsung PM953.
The microSD Express cards Lexar is releasing next year are also rather comparable, at least in sequential read speeds. Unfortunately they haven't announced anything in terms of random reads, and the only thing I can find on the underlying SM2708 controller chip is that it's A2 compliant - which is great for SD cards, but pales in comparison to UFS. Even eMMC 5.1 has over triple A2's 4000 minimum IOPS. Of course, the SM2708 could support over 4000 IOPS; that's just the only guarantee I could find.

Dec 21, 2020
guise! I think I found a better comparison than the GT 1030: a GT 750!

with 4GB of VRAM! :O

definitely an anomally. if you told me these were made for gaming cafes in china, that would be very believable. boasting 512 maxwell cores at 1GHz, it's more powerful than the GT 1030, and with a usable amount of VRAM

I'm confused as to why he was outside though lol

Also, nice find, thanks for sharing!

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
Frankly, Samsung should do whatever they can to get that business. It will make all their R&D for UFS worth it. Physical media may be declining, but if UFS can take the crown, then Samsung gets to lead that market.
As Thraktor clearly laid out, the removable media are declining sharply thanks to the cloud and large internal storage. Any new removable standards introduced in this climate can hardly reach the critical mass. The UFS Association's decision to build a card format on top of the embedded format therefore was rather inspired—any mobile devices with UFS lanes (that's, like, the most of them, including Orin) can easily support the cards as a result. The combined scale of eUFS and UFS Card gives the latter a leg up in the competition for the shrinking removable media market.
There was a total of 1.347.9 million phones sold. even if just a quarter of those has an sd card slot,
thats 3 times more then switch will probably sell in its lifetime... (at least the base switch)...in a year.
Compared to THOSE numbers, yeah,switch is not such a big factor.
And almost none of those need faster storage.
As mentioned above, the scale of UFS standard may be larger than you think. Aside from the phone market, UFSA also seems to be targeting the automobiles, drones, and IoT/edge AI devices. The spread of the 5G network could further heighten the demand of faster storage to handle the increasing content sizes.
5g-04-infographic.png

This is to say that the current hold microSD (UHS-I) has on the mobile market may not hold. As for the adoption of SD Express, I'm guessing (not an expert) that the latter's PCIe requirement is going to be difficult to support on most mobile devices. (That said, TX2 and Xavier do support PCIe, and I supposed Orin too. So the door isn't completely closed for the SD Express to be on Switch.)
Speaking of licensing, I'm probably searching with the wrong terms, but I can't seem to find mention of licensing costs for UFS.
The UFS Card form factor is royalty-free, unlike the SD, which has a fee on every single card.

aNYN0TC.png

If the situation allows it, some developers will always come up with creative solutions and hacks to push the hw to its limits.
PS4 Pro/XOX didn't stop developers from doing these things, they just offered new possibilities.
It much harder on PCs/mobile not only because of market fragmentation, but also the graphics APIs available are much higher level and limited in what they can do.
I can see that. There's no stopping them! Thanks for answering.

Dec 21, 2020
As mentioned above, the scale of UFS standard may be larger than you think. Aside from the phone market, UFSA also seems to be targeting the automobiles, drones, and IoT/edge AI devices. The spread of the 5G network could further heighten the demand of faster storage to handle the increasing content sizes.
5g-04-infographic.png

This is to say that the current hold microSD (UHS-I) has on the mobile market may not hold. As for the adoption of SD Express, I'm guessing (not an expert) that the latter's PCIe requirement is going to be difficult to support on most mobile devices. (That said, TX2 and Xavier do support PCIe, and I supposed Orin too. So the door isn't completely closed for the SD Express to be on Switch.)
This does give me hope that it would be an option to use (if CFExpress isn't) on a device like the switch. Nintendo has large enough weight to throw, and game consoles although slower to reach a large amount of units do so at a pace and have a more dedicated following. So a game console, other devices like the ones you mentioned, and use cases that extend farther can help for keeping its relevance. While that is all said, it becomes more of a "Will they throw that weight around?"

I do hope Nintendo put a lot of research into the expandable storage in future proofing, and considered it as one of the priorities.

I also hope that developers did ask them to include faster storage/ faster storage options, as in it is possible to upgrade for faster storage for the platform. Nintendo is asking around for developer input, and hope this isn't an area that was omitted outside of the obvious things like more RAM, more CPU Cores (and faster ones at that), etc.

I have a feeling that it may be less mentioned, but not completely ignored.

While people talk about other things, storage is really the thing that I think is a completely unknown factor.

Poll results update with added deadline
OP
OP
Dakhil

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
The microSD Express cards Lexar is releasing next year are also rather comparable, at least in sequential read speeds. Unfortunately they haven't announced anything in terms of random reads, and the only thing I can find on the underlying SM2708 controller chip is that it's A2 compliant - which is great for SD cards, but pales in comparison to UFS. Even eMMC 5.1 has over triple A2's 4000 minimum IOPS. Of course, the SM2708 could support over 4000 IOPS; that's just the only guarantee I could find.
And that's probably the absolute best case scenario for the DLSS model.

Anyway, excuse me for being off-topic, but as of 12 July 2021 at 22:35 (UTC-07:00 or PDT), so far, the poll results for who should create the 2nd OT thread is:
  • 28 votes (or 73.68%) for me
  • 10 votes (or 26.32%) for someone else
7UtEof5.png

I've decided to set the deadline for the poll at 20 July 2021 at 05:00 (UTC-07:00 or PDT) to make sure anyone else who wants to participate can do so.

If you haven't participated and want to do so, click on here to access the poll.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Sure but that was part of their mixing their signals with the information they got about the second model. The model that was said to eventually replace the current model was the model coming out his year with an OLED screen. Their mistake was mixing this information with the information they got about a stronger model.

But that again doesnt go against my points, that whats point of OLED revision with old hardware when around year later we getting revision with new hardware and that will not be new main model, and that having stronger revision 5.5 years after platform launch in way is getting late.

I think when people make quotes like this it feels like we are being selective on what effect covid-19 has had on the gaming industry as a whole... Games have been delayed left and right, so it shouldn't be to hard to imagine that hardware plans are effected equally as well.

Nintendo keeps telling everyone almost in every investors meetings that their plans for the Switch is to extend it's lifecycle beyond what is normal to something like 8-10yrs. We the public are the ones that refuse to except this and continue to say well it must be Switch 2 coming out in a year or two, it can't be a revision...(While Nintendo says hold my beer please!)

Yes, but COVID effect could actually means that Nintendo changed plans and that from releasing "Pro" for instance this or last year they simply decided to release Switch 2 in 2023. because maybe they think its now too late for "Pro".
What Nintendo tells about its general thinking/plans at investors meetings is not always relevant because plans are changing, especially with Covid effect.

This isn't true at all. One does not necessarily influence the other.

What part exactly is not true?
I disagree it doesnt influence the other at all.

Y'all too focused on the hardware part of platforms. Consider the software side, i.e. do you think the OS is going away and getting replaced/rebooted for a new Switch?

Its possible that OS will be replaced with Switch 2, but no chance with revision

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
And that's probably the absolute best case scenario for the DLSS model.

Anyway, excuse me for being off-topic, but as of 12 July 2021 at 22:35 (UTC-07:00 or PDT), so far, the poll results for who should create the 2nd OT thread is:
  • 28 votes (or 73.68%) for me
  • 10 votes (or 26.32%) for someone else
7UtEof5.png

I've decided to set the deadline for the poll at 20 July 2021 at 05:00 (UTC-07:00 or PDT) to make sure anyone else who wants to participate can do so.

If you haven't participated and want to do so, click on here to access the poll.
I voted for you, you've been doing a stellar job with it.

Ookaze

Nov 22, 2017
Thraktor found via Nintendo Switch Brew that the Game Cards run at 25 MB/s (the Game Cards have a 8-bit bus width data interface and runs at a frequency of 25 MHz).

There are also a report and a rumour about Nintendo sampling 48-layer 3D NAND memory from Macronix. If Macronix's 48-layer 3D NAND memory is comparable to Samsung's 48-layer 3D NAND memory found in the Samsung PM953, then Macronix's 48-layer 3D NAND memory is roughly comparable to UFS 2.1.

Thank you, I've heard of the 3D layout for Macronix new game cards. I'll look at Thraktor's post that I missed too.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
But their argument is essentially "emulators can re-implement that interface on top of multiple high level graphics APIs and different GPUs, but it's impossible for Nvidia to do it on future hardware"?
This is ultimately what it boils down to, but with the caveat that it's impossible to do so in a performant matter within the Switch's power envelope. Though I'll also add - you said part of the stack, but they always say it's the entire stack. I'm over my head in all of this and can't really describe it better.

Nintendo has competent engineers, they will not put an over-engineered and overpriced IO architecture for nothing, as games will be designed to run from the game cards as the minimum.
This is ultimately an assumption. When PlayStation and Xbox outgrew the read speeds of optical discs, they simply stopped running games off of them. Nintendo could similarly decide that performant physical media is too costly.

Of course, there's more factors working against them than there were for Sony and Microsoft eight years ago; performant flash storage is still more costly today per gigabyte than hard drives were back then, and the meager 64 GB of storage in the OLED model is the first time Nintendo's gone above 32 GB. Forcing installs would simply require them to both increase the internal storage capacity and readily allow comparable expandable storage, which has been a point of debate in this thread because there just isn't an obvious path forward (though the more I read Thraktor's posts, the more I get won over into the UFS camp). Allowing games to be run off the cards has big advantages, but it'll be weighed against whatever pressure Nintendo is feeling to up their storage speeds.

The dream scenario would be for internal storage, expandable storage, and physical game media to meet or exceed 800 MB/s in read speeds, but I'm not counting on it.
but what with physical only buyers?
I fall into that and can tell you the physical-only life is a myth. I've filled my storage with game updates and DLC alone - never mind digital-only titles and save data. I could probably get by without storing everything on the Switch*, but that limits the appeal of a portable system.

*In fact, I was, and it was actually the desire to try out homebrew that led to me buying an SD card, not an absolute need for more storage. But it was starting to bug me then, and I've only accumulated more updates and games since buying the card; it's hard to say whether I would've just bought one anyway if I had no desire to mod my Switch.

Last edited:

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
So the FCC filing for the Switch OLED (HEG-001) is up, but only test-report results seem to be included.

No internal or extenal photos yet, as per Nintendo's short-term (180 days) confidentiality request.
switch_oled_confl0j8q.jpg

Here are the general equipment info/specs (mostly radio frequency/power ratings) as per FCC reports, compared to the currect Switch model (HAC-001):
switch_oled_fcc_compgnkuq.jpg

I think there's not much to see here, but folks more specialized in the field might find something interesting.

General (non-scientific) observations:
  • The Switch OLED engineering prototype was received by the FCC on July 31st 2020
  • To be mass-produced in China & Vietnam
  • I don't know if it's engineering prototype-specific, but the Switch OLED is listed to be using an LDS antenna vs a PCB antenna for the current model (not sure of the difference beetween the two)

Last edited:

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
So the FCC filing for the Switch OLED (HEG-001) is up, but only test report results seem to be included.

No internal or extenal photos yet as per Nintendo's short-term (180 days) confidentiality request.

Here are the general equipment info/specs (mostly radio frequency/power ratings) as per FCC reports, compared to the currect Switch model (HAC-001):

I think there's not much to see here, but folks more specialized in the field might find something interesting.

General observations:
  • The Switch OLED engineering prototype was received by the FCC on July 31st 2020
  • I don't know if it's engineering prototype-specific, but the Switch OLED is listed to be using an LDS antenna Vs a PCB antenna for the current model (not sure of the difference beetween the two)

«TE's use of laser direct structuring (LDS) antenna and product technology can save valuable space in your application by integrating high frequency, mechanical and electrical functionality into one component. Laser structuring enables 3-dimensional (3D) design/routing capability, versus the limiting 2-dimensional (2D) capability on a printed circuit board (PCB). LDS technology also allows for improved antenna performance because antennas can be placed in the design where they have more room for better bandwidth and efficiency. LDS is a three-step process. First, the antenna is molded in a standard single shot mold using one of the LDS resins. Second, the desired pattern is directly structured onto the antenna by the 3D laser system. Finally, the pattern is plated using industry-standard methods where the plating adheres to the plastic only where the plastic has been activated by the laser, thus creating a conductive pattern.»
www.te.com

Custom-Designed Antennas

TE offers a wide array of customized antenna solutions to accommodate the mechanical constraints of your application.

Jul 7, 2021
Don't know when my verified status will be updated but I just wanted to let this specific sub-community know that due to recent NDAs I've signed as a registered Nintendo developer, and my plans to bring my WIP projects to Nintendo hardware, I will no longer be providing any comment on details for any hardware that Nintendo may be working on that has not been publicly announced.

Let me be clear, I have no first-hand knowledge of any future hardware that Nintendo may be developing, nor would I divulge that information if I did. I just wanted to let you all know that due the nature of my new relationship with Nintendo, if you ask me about something that was said in the past and I don't respond to you, you're not waiting indefinitely for an answer or wondering what happened.

Anyway, I hope you all are doing well and continue to make awesome contributions to this diverse community of gamers.

Cheers

Even though I'm new here I find this very awesome to read! I wish you the best of luck!

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
«TE's use of laser direct structuring (LDS) antenna and product technology can save valuable space in your application by integrating high frequency, mechanical and electrical functionality into one component. Laser structuring enables 3-dimensional (3D) design/routing capability, versus the limiting 2-dimensional (2D) capability on a printed circuit board (PCB). LDS technology also allows for improved antenna performance because antennas can be placed in the design where they have more room for better bandwidth and efficiency. LDS is a three-step process. First, the antenna is molded in a standard single shot mold using one of the LDS resins. Second, the desired pattern is directly structured onto the antenna by the 3D laser system. Finally, the pattern is plated using industry-standard methods where the plating adheres to the plastic only where the plastic has been activated by the laser, thus creating a conductive pattern.»
www.te.com

Custom-Designed Antennas

TE offers a wide array of customized antenna solutions to accommodate the mechanical constraints of your application.

Cheers for that.

So it's a space-saving alternative (vs PCB) that -potentially- allows for improved performance.

Dec 21, 2020
So the FCC filing for the Switch OLED (HEG-001) is up, but only test report results seem to be included.

No internal or extenal photos yet as per Nintendo's short-term (180 days) confidentiality request.

General (non-scientific) observations:
  • I don't know if it's engineering prototype-specific, but the Switch OLED is listed to be using an LDS antenna Vs a PCB antenna for the current model (not sure of the difference beetween the two)
Better wireless connectivity, this may be what Dakhil was hoping for

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but COVID effect could actually means that Nintendo changed plans and that from releasing "Pro" for instance this or last year they simply decided to release Switch 2 in 2023. because maybe they think its now too late for "Pro".
I've a question for this line of thinking: wouldn't 2023 feel rather early for a successor if a "Pro" had released in 2021? Now sure, it didn't (and won't) release this year, but if the idea is that Nintendo was in fact planning on doing so - wouldn't that mean they weren't planning for a successor until likely 2024 at least, if not longer? I don't think they'd accelerate their entire platform lifecycle because they had to delay a revision.

General observations:
I'm not specialized in the field, but Googling the antenna stuff gives hope they've improved the wireless performance, perhaps significantly. LDS can offer great performance; the higher gains are interesting, but higher isn't always better, and I'd rather leave an actual expert to comment on that matter.

Cheers for that.

So it's a space-saving alternative (vs PCB) that -potentially- allows for improved performance.
It's also more expensive. It wouldn't seem very much like Nintendo to spring for it and not reap the benefits.

Ookaze

Nov 22, 2017
This is ultimately an assumption. When PlayStation and Xbox outgrew the read speeds of optical discs, they simply stopped running games off of them. Nintendo could similarly decide that performant physical media is too costly.

Nintendo also stopped using the optical media they were forced into to go back to cartridges. Cartridges align perfectly with Nintendo's view of the gaming market which includes the best ease of use for the mass market. Today there's nothing better than a cartridge that you can put in your console right after having bought it and start playing immediately: instant pick up and play. I don't see them changing them for other solutions when it has kept them market leader until now on handhelds and them being market leader for 2,5 years with their hybrid.

Of course, there's more factors working against them than there were for Sony and Microsoft eight years ago; performant flash storage is still more costly today per gigabyte than hard drives were back then, and the meager 64 GB of storage in the OLED model is the first time Nintendo's gone above 32 GB. Forcing installs would simply require them to both increase the internal storage capacity and readily allow comparable expandable storage, which has been a point of debate in this thread because there just isn't an obvious path forward (though the more I read Thraktor's posts, the more I get won over into the UFS camp). Allowing games to be run off the cards has big advantages, but it'll be weighed against whatever pressure Nintendo is feeling to up their storage speeds.

Nintendo already have a solution to maximize the internal storage usage: you can auto remove old games to install newer ones. 64 GB is huge and is there so that every game can be installed on the system without requiring an additional SD card, which wasn't the case with 32 GB. Also, flash storage have the tendancy to have reduced performance when it reaches near full capacity, I think because of how NAND technology is designed.
I think Nintendo will definitely upgrade storage speeds, but limit it to what Macronix cards will be able to do. If these game cards can even reach 400 MB/s, it will be good enough. I'm sure they'd rather use 1 GB RAM as IO cache than add a costly storage solution. We'll see.

Most people on the market don't have tons of games for their system, even with 10 games on cartridges, 32 GB space is far more than necessary.
GaaS though often require an SD card, I don't know how much storage Fortnite is taking.

Dec 21, 2020
I'm not specialized in the field, but Googling the antenna stuff gives hope they've improved the wireless performance, perhaps significantly. LDS can offer great performance; the higher gains are interesting, but higher isn't always better, and I'd rather leave an actual expert to comment on that matter.
I think this would better clear it up a bit more:

LDS process has two major advantages over other technologies:

• Firstly, compared with flexible printed circuit board (FPC) antennas and metal sheet stamping antennas, LDS processes can fully utilize the three dimensional structure of a molded plastic body to build the traces needed for a high performance antenna. Furthermore, since it uses laser beam to define the antenna pattern, just by modifying laser patterning program, the antenna traces can be changed without altering the molding die. Therefore, it is very useful for the production of antennas with various frequencies in the same injection-molded parts.
  • Secondly, with fewer production steps, LDS technology is very efficient in the reduction of production cycle time. Furthermore, laser system is quite stable and durable with low failure rate which makes 24 hour continuous production feasible and is quite suitable for mass production.
In addition to the above mentioned advantages, there are still other benefits for using LDS technology, such as:

• Lower initial costs with minimal tooling expenses, i.e., low NRE charges.
  • Short design & development turn-around-time.
  • Relatively easy to modify or fine tune the antenna pattern during the development stage.
  • Customized design can be easily achieved and antenna performance can be tailored to meet customer's needs.
  • Laser drilling is available for the establishment of via connection between different layers.
  • LDS antennas are compatible with SMT processes.
LDS process has been widely used on a large variety of antenna applications, such as:

• Mobile Phone, Portable and Wearable Devices
  • Notebook/Tablet Computers
  • Wireless Switches/Routers
  • True Wireless Stereo (TWS) Earphones
  • Medical Devices
  • Gaming Consoles
  • Automotive Navigation & Tracking Systems
  • Drone or Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs)
  • Satellites

I believe this makes it clearer than the other google results. It kept giving me what it is but not what it is for/ what it is meant to solve 😅

But, this would mean that the other model would also have better wireless connectivity.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I've a question for this line of thinking: wouldn't 2023 feel rather early for a successor if a "Pro" had released in 2021? Now sure, it didn't (and won't) release this year, but if the idea is that Nintendo was in fact planning on doing so - wouldn't that mean they weren't planning for a successor until likely 2024 at least, if not longer? I don't think they'd accelerate their entire platform lifecycle because they had to delay a revision.

After OLED revision announcement its not any more that 100% certain that "Pro" rumors were actually rumors about stronger Switch revision and not about Switch successor that get mixed with OLED revision by leakers. If plan was to release "Pro" this year than successor could be released in 2024. (or later) for instance, point is that Covid could effect plans about stronger revision and successor. Point is that "Pro" should carry Switch platform going forward until succesor launch because current Switch hardware is getting outdated and Switch game IQ and performance are getting worse especially with next gen launch, and having such a revision at end of next year would be maybe too late and Nintendo could easily say "better we go full Switch successor in 2023. instead stronger revision in 2022".

I mean maybe OLED revision didnt exist at all before Covid, or like I wrote maybe those rumors about stronger Switch revision were actually early leaked infos about next gen Switch, at this point nothing is certain and all options are very wide open, but at this point I think we are not getting "Pro" next year but we are getting full next gen Switch launch in 2023. because that make most sense now.

Dec 21, 2020
off-topic....ish, but I suspect the storage of the OLED model would be this

H26M74002HMR from SK Hynix, or the 64GB version of what is in the Lite which is different.

but it should be a reasonable assumption.

and here on page 9, we see the performance of the former.

edit: does not seem to work, but it is 280MB/s read, 170MB/s write for the 64GB variant.

Current Switch uses SK Hynix H26M62002JPR 32 GB eMMC, according to the homebrew page, while the Lite uses Samsung KLMBG2JETD-B041 32 GB eMMC. Here it gives some info, but that is the 64GB variant, so it would be slower than the listed 330MB/s read and 200MB/s write.

Note: these are not what the switch speed is at, however.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017

Cheers

Wonderful! Congratulations!

Apr 11, 2020
Mandating game installation could also concern physical game cards. Nothing prevent 3rd party Devs to use smaller game cards as they have done with the OG model and PS4/PS5 games. Having 256GB of internal storage could be feasible in a $500 model in 2021 and in a $300-350 model in 2023-2024.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see any advances in storage coming until the platform after the next one anyway. I thought that was the case even with most of the people crazy about m2 drives.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I believe Nintendo prioritizes convenience over performance, or even getting ports.

In other words mandatory game installs would surprise me a lot,

Oct 26, 2017
I believe Nintendo prioritizes convenience over performance, or even getting ports.

In other words mandatory game installs would surprise me a lot,
Full Mandatory installs are kind of overkill, but if a game as popular as gtav can do mandatory partial installs on PS3, I don't see why that can't be fit for a wide audience.
And I can see why supporting a massive speed increase of a single media might be more favourable than supporting a massive speed increase of three different media, especially when the internal type is already commonplace as ufs.

Remember Nintendo allowed a game as high profile as Dragon Quest X to be installed to a usb stick as standard. Nothing is going to be as awkward as that again

Last edited:

oneroom

Dec 26, 2020
If Nintendo was willing to implement it, the OLEDswitch storage would no longer be emmc and they could have added more capacity.
It wouldn't have been too difficult to build a system to install a physical copy of the data into the storage with FW updates.
It didn't happen that way, though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo was willing to implement it, the OLEDswitch storage would no longer be emmc and they could have added more capacity.
It wouldn't have been too difficult to build a system to install a physical copy of the data into the storage with FW updates.
It didn't happen that way, though.
Emmc wouldn't be a limitation there

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
Last edited: