• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just ordered all 3 collections for the PS4 which ended up coming to €161. Pretty expensive compared to, say the various Capcom compilations, but I guess this is a way more niche series so it's understandable. I'd rather have this option than nothing at all.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Just ordered all 3 collections for the PS4 which ended up coming to €161. Pretty expensive compared to, say the various Capcom compilations, but I guess this is a way more niche series so it's understandable. I'd rather have this option than nothing at all.
All three? I thought it was just Cozmic Collection and Cozmic Revelation.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I did email SLG asking them if they could put Sagaia on the card, and it seems a lot of other people hassled them too, because... it is :)

vaPXrnm.png

Kudos to SLG for doing this.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The least they could do, especially for those of us who dropped almost $200 on this thing. Still very cool. Not so fun when these limited run-style releases don't have everything on cart/disc. A large part of the point in the earliest days of this market segment was game preservation!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Are these the good ones? My understanding is that the a lot of the Darius series is kind of middling.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
So this is default 60fps right? The original Taito FX-1 arcade versions (OG, Ver 2) the PS1 version, and PS2 port of the arcade ver 1 were all 30fps default, and I don't think we've seen it at 60fps, unless there's a way to do that in emulation with the PS1/PS2 versions.

Edit: shouldn't need to ask, should watch some YT videos and see for myself.

Last edited:

Gnomepowered

Nov 23, 2018
Is Strictly Limited Games the only English-language physical release announced? That Euro-Dollar conversion rate and international shipping is rough. I'm also confused about the price structure. For anyone who has bought it from the Japanese eShop, are the games only available as separate purchases, or is there a bundle I'm missing (I only found them by browsing what I think was the "New" section)? Has there been a price announcement for the US digital version?

I don't mind buying physical import because, with Cozmic Collection at least, the Switch version started being in English for me once the Western version dropped and I assume the same will be true here, but I only see very expensive limited editions on Amazon Japan. Does anyone know if there is a normal print run, or do I need to buy from Playasia or something instead? They have it for sale, but not in stock.

G-Darius was the first shmup I owned for a home console and holds a very special place in my heart, so I wish these releases weren't so convoluted so I could just buy the damn thing. At LEAST they are making it available digitally from the start this time, I guess- the previous collection starting as physical-only was frustrating, especially for a region-free system.

Edit: Also I know this is a lot of questions, I promise I did do some initial research, but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion around this release, which is a bummer! Maybe Ghouls 'n Ghosts stole the retro game thunder this week.

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
Where can we communicate to Taito that they need to release this on Steam? (Please don't ban me for port begging) but you need to understand. Playing Darius Burst AC on a single monitor just isn't the same as playing on dual monitors and hopefully you'll understand that if you ever have played the current one on Steam or the arcade version.
So this is default 60fps right? The original Taito FX-1 arcade versions (OG, Ver 2) the PS1 version, and PS2 port of the arcade ver 1 were all 30fps default, and I don't think we've seen it at 60fps, unless there's a way to do that in emulation with the PS1/PS2 versions.

Edit: shouldn't need to ask, should watch some YT videos and see for myself.

PS1 and arcade boards definitely ran at 60FPS. This new port (playing the Switch version) runs at 60FPS in both original and HD versions.

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
Is Strictly Limited Games the only English-language physical release announced? That Euro-Dollar conversion rate and international shipping is rough. I'm also confused about the price structure. For anyone who has bought it from the Japanese eShop, are the games only available as separate purchases, or is there a bundle I'm missing (I only found them by browsing what I think was the "New" section)? Has there been a price announcement for the US digital version?

I don't mind buying physical import because, with Cozmic Collection at least, the Switch version started being in English for me once the Western version dropped and I assume the same will be true here, but I only see very expensive limited editions on Amazon Japan. Does anyone know if there is a normal print run, or do I need to buy from Playasia or something instead? They have it for sale, but not in stock.

G-Darius was the first shmup I owned for a home console and holds a very special place in my heart, so I wish these releases weren't so convoluted so I could just buy the damn thing. At LEAST they are making it available digitally from the start this time, I guess- the previous collection starting as physical-only was frustrating, especially for a region-free system.

Edit: Also I know this is a lot of questions, I promise I did do some initial research, but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion around this release, which is a bummer! Maybe Ghouls 'n Ghosts stole the retro game thunder this week.

I own the game on my Switch. Ask me any questions that you might have.

From what I played so far. I don't know why. But they split G-Darius and DariusBurst into two separate games on the Switch. It's not in one whole package.

As for the ports. G-Darius HD has two modes. There's the original Ver.2 arcade rom (very accurate), then there's the HD port which is the exact same game but it runs at 1080p (still 4:3 game) and it has updated textures. That is all.

From what I noticed. The HD version seems to have some odd flickering issues and textures are sometimes clipping through each other, which looks odd at times.

Other than that, both versions do not have any gameplay changes at all.

Now for the disappointment: DariusBurst Another Chronicle EX+

This game is still fantastic. But my issue with this game and part of the reason why this collection needs to be ported over to Steam is due to the lack of dual monitor support. The PS4 and Switch have no way of supporting extensions on monitors/TVs.

I played on my cabinet here which is a 24' BenQ monitor and it was extremely small and jarring to play on.

EvJ6To2WQA4pAkg

From what I can tell in regards to the differences between this and the original ACEX console port (PS4/Vita/Steam)

ACEX+ seems to have more cabinet missions in the original mode. But other than that. You are honestly not missing much at all.

The single-player Chronicle Saviours mode (16:9 with shmup DLC) is not available in this Darius Cozmic Revelation collection.

So you will be missing out on a decent amount of content from that alone.

Other than that. If Taito/Square-Enix decides to sell G-Darius and DariusBurst ACEX+ separately in the future. Just save your money and buy the G-Darius HD port only.

DB ACEX+ is not worth the money at all. Unless you desperately need to have this game on your PS4 or Switch.

If you care about DariusBurst AC at all. Just stick with the Steam version of DariusBurst Chronicle Saviours. It has much more content overall: Dual Monitor support (32:9), 21:9 support, a brand new game mode with 16:9 support and has a ton of DLC specific missions. All of which are not included in the new ACEX+ port.

Even the 2015 PS4 port of DariusBurst CS (which includes both the new 16:9 game mode + ACEX) is still much better value than what you get from the new Darius Cozmic Revelation.

Last edited:

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
Thanks for the insight MufausaThe3rd . I have DariusBurst on PC and PS4 already-- and it sounds like this won't be necessary.

No problem! Save your money and just hope that Taito releases G-Darius HD separately. That within itself is totally worth purchasing if you can buy it on its own.

DariusBurst CS (especially on PC) is perfect and is still the best version of DariusBurst AC

Gnomepowered

Nov 23, 2018
Thanks for the insight MufausaThe3rd . I have DariusBurst on PC and PS4 already-- and it sounds like this won't be necessary.
Ditto- I have Dariusburst CS with all of the DLC, so this sounds pretty redundant. I'm also remembering that screen size meant that pretty much the only game from the Cozmic Collection I played in handheld mode was Gaiden, so I'd likely only be playing G-Darius here anyway. Half the reason I want it is because I want a shooter I don't have to use the flipgrip for so that I can use a joycon with a d-pad.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone ever delve into those DLC guest ships in the prior ACEX release?

This game is still fantastic. But my issue with this game and part of the reason why this collection needs to be ported over to Steam is due to the lack of dual monitor support. The PS4 and Switch have no way of supporting extensions on monitors/TVs.
You mean to stretch across screens like the arcade? Does the version on Steam today support that?

I'm still unclear what's changed in ACEX+. Was it more of an updated iteration?

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
You mean to stretch across screens like the arcade? Does the version on Steam today support that?

Not stretched. The actual arcade version uses two 16:9 screens and has them set, side by side. Hence when playing DariusBurst on consoles. The game is very wide with black bars.

On PC. This isn't the case. It follows the arcade version specs:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
So this just came out in Japan, any update for the US release? I did see the PS4 version has a trophy list for each game separately, which is cool.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Not stretched. The actual arcade version uses two 16:9 screens and has them set, side by side. Hence when playing DariusBurst on consoles. The game is very wide with black bars.

On PC. This isn't the case. It follows the arcade version specs:

Yeah, I wasn't picturing distortion, more picturing the huge old Taito setups that spanned 3 CRTs.

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
Yeah, I wasn't picturing distortion, more picturing the huge old Taito setups that spanned 3 CRTs.

Yeah, the display type is a similar concept to what you just mentioned. Also to answer your other question.

The mode called Chronicle Mode has a lot of small objective missions that you can play in. With DB ACEX+. They've allowed people to play Event Mode (Grayed out mode on the bottom right). Which is not too much different from Chronicle Mode. They basically put you in specific missions that you can play with certain requirements.

TLDR: Event mode is basically Chronicle Mode but you can play now missions/events that were originally timed events in the arcade version. Meaning that the missions were only available to play in arcades for a limited time, now there is no time limit with this new home port.

For whatever reason, they didn't include this in DBACEX (2015 console port) - Honestly, not missing much since DB Chronicle Saviours has a lot more content and is optimized for traditional home console play (Single Screen - 16:9)

That is all. DB ACEX+ has 0 gameplay changes. There are also no new bosses or stages from what I saw either.

What they've done with the port in Darius Cozmic Revelation, was add Event Mode and there's a new vibration system when playing with a controller where the game will vibrate based on sound effects that occur in the game now. It's supposed to replicate how the original arcade version plays as the seat would rumble a bit based on sounds that were triggered in-game. I play on an arcade stick, so this feature is of no use for me tbh.

Here's how DB ACEX menu looks like (this was a screenshot from the Steam version):
ThhYdlG.jpg

Here is how DB ACEX+ menu looks like (this was a screenshot from my Switch):
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
TLDR: Event mode is basically Chronicle Mode but you can play now missions/events that were originally timed events in the arcade version. Meaning that the missions were only available to play in arcades for a limited time, now there is no time limit with this new home port.
Much appreciate all the details!

I'd been re-buying my shmups on Steam so I'll grab DBAC to "upgrade" my PS4 copy. Had been waiting to see if EX+ would get announced so this help a lot!

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
So it's mid April. I know SLG delayed shipment of this because of covid, but I was wondering, are we still waiting for the orders to ship? Or is it just me?

Oct 7, 2019
So it's mid April. I know SLG delayed shipment of this because of covid, but I was wondering, are we still waiting for the orders to ship? Or is it just me?

If you look on SLG's Manufacture Updates page they've got about half a dozen games meant to be shipping in April/May now, don't think there's much hope of them being able to process all that within the next six weeks.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
excited for this, but reading through the thread now because i'm also a little confused with the stricltylimited releases. g-darius is hype, though.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Bumping to say I got a shipping notification this morning! Been a long wait, but light is at the end of the tunnel

Oct 7, 2019
This got delivered to me today, couple of slapdash things I'm a bit disappointed about - they haven't translated the options menu in Sagaia from Japanese to English, and the font in Dariusburst is sometimes borderline unreadable (on my big boy TV at least). I know for Dariusburst it's a dual screen game smushed onto a Switch screen, but seems a bit naff they haven't tried to fix it up a bit. On the other hand, G-Darius HD is excellent, which is of course what 90% of people are actually buying this for.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
got my copy yesterday. for some reason i thought the version 2 update was already available but i guess that's later this year?

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got mine today and love it so far. Can someone tell me what is the difference in Cabinets in Darius Burst? I don't really understand that concept or the little different colored icons on the bottom of the screen.

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dariusburst: Another Chronicle EX+ finally hit the Western PSN regions today, been having a blast with the new DBACEX+ level sets too.. even if a few of them are frightningly tough.

I still dont get why the whole Cozmic Revelaitons werent released by now westwards though.. it baffles me.