• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
with how hoyo games tend to be i doubt things will stay very hard to even need to do any cool hidden techs but i'm hoping i'm wrong, just going by history they just don't design games that go to the degree of depth that i want since they are more casual mobile games at the end of the day shit i thought HI3 pt 2 would be it with how post houkai looked but.. i never got around to it and people didn't seem too hyped about it overall

as much as i love PGR for it's music/gameplay that's all i like about it so i hope WW can fill in the missing aspects

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Honkai Part 2 made me think that gacha is the probably a big factor holding Hoyo back from making a competent action game. Part 2 lifted a lot from APHO but it ended up not feeling that much different when you actually play it compare to APHO which was released years ago.

Having to balance the game around dozens of characters with different players having access to different characters would be pretty difficult to do especially when you want to keep the game accessible to wider audience and also having to make units enticing enough for people to spend money on.
APHO is practically a single player character action game where players have access to the same characters and toolsets so it's much more manageable to balance and that's probably why APHO has arguably the best action combat they've done.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'll give ZZZ a try when it launches. I don't participate in beta tests but I like what I've seen so far. Gacha seems to be the same as HSR.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Yeah. Honkai Part 2 somehow promised to be something new, but it basically doesnt feel different. They were saying how the vertical stuff will allow new gameplay, but it kinda doesnt.
Also I would argue the other issue is, that the game still needs to run on 2016 phones. The new areas feel bigger than before, but still not really like how HSR areas are and more like a refined Kolosten. I would say APHO areas were far better than Part 2 areas for now.

One thing I like with Hoyo is though, that they usually approach content creators for new marketing stuff or even songs. Like KKOMDA got another short for ZZZ commissioned by Hoyo.

Regarding Wuthering Waves I am a bit surprised it comes that early. I think the latest beta was good, but there was still a lot that needed to be worked on I feel, but I only played around 5-6h.

thoughtloop

Apr 9, 2022
I think folks stoked for combat in ZZZ should definitely try WW when it launches. I previously mentioned that I can't say much about the test I'm in/was in, but even back in CBT2, it's showing the fundamentals:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnay96gpM2U

For folks who have played PGR, but maybe haven't watched a CBT2 video on Calcharo, he plays like the dude version of Alpha Crimson Weave. While the build I tested is much newer, and thus there are changes to literally every frame of that linked video, it gives a good feel for one of the world bosses (you farm them for their echo and character ascension mats).

Some things worth noting in that CBT2 video, and based only that video: no cooldown on perfect dodges, parry indicator helps but doesn't hold your hand (you gotta practice to know timing, despite knowing a parry-able attack is coming), and many different parts of your kit can parry.

The video is definitely a bit of a swag grab, as most players will use their other party characters and be more aggressive when boss' is stunned.

Anyway, a crazy number of things have changed since that CBT2 video was captured. Kuro be cooking! The fact that such complex combat systems are able to function in an open world setting is crazy, and--for me, anyway--ZZZ is gonna have to be on another level to make me want to pick it up long-term. And having not played any of its betas, I just don't know yet.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I think folks stoked for combat in ZZZ should definitely try WW when it launches. I previously mentioned that I can't say much about the test I'm in/was in, but even back in CBT2, it's showing the fundamentals:

For folks who have played PGR, but maybe haven't watched a CBT2 video on Calcharo, he plays like the dude version of Alpha Crimson Weave. While the build I tested is much newer, and thus there are changes to literally every frame of that linked video, it gives a good feel for one of the world bosses (you farm them for their echo and character ascension mats).

Some things worth noting in that CBT2 video, and based only that video: no cooldown on perfect dodges, parry indicator helps but doesn't hold your hand (you gotta practice to know timing, despite knowing a parry-able attack is coming), and many different parts of your kit can parry.

The video is definitely a bit of a swag grab, as most players will use their other party characters and be more aggressive when boss' is stunned.

Anyway, a crazy number of things have changed since that CBT2 video was captured. Kuro be cooking! The fact that such complex combat systems are able to function in an open world setting is crazy, and--for me, anyway--ZZZ is gonna have to be on another level to make me want to pick it up long-term. And having not played any of its betas, I just don't know yet.

The latest beta was still kinda easy and Im not sure if they did it because it was a beta, but all the bosses you didnt really need to block and parry that much and could mostly just "hack and slash" through them. It was quite different from what I played last Gamescom, where I constantly had to dodge and parry.

thoughtloop

Apr 9, 2022
The latest beta was still kinda easy and Im not sure if they did it because it was a beta, but all the bosses you didnt really need to block and parry that much and could mostly just "hack and slash" through them. It was quite different from what I played last Gamescom, where I constantly had to dodge and parry.
Interesting! During that playtest, do you recall if you were fighting the world boss or hologram version of the boss? The hologram versions are--allegedly--much harder than the standard versions that you farm in the open world. They each have their own little spot on the map, like Genshin. Holograms are separate spots, and appear to feature much more challenging and aggressive versions of the boss.

I wish they'd do an open beta prior to launch so everybody could talk about stuff on the same level. Or have given localization test NDA an end date :/

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Interesting! During that playtest, do you recall if you were fighting the world boss or hologram version of the boss? The hologram versions are--allegedly--much harder than the standard versions that you farm in the open world. They each have their own little spot on the map, like Genshin. Holograms are separate spots, and appear to feature much more challenging and aggressive versions of the boss.

It was this boss from your video, the crownless. And then other bosses I found in the overworld. But like I said. I just played around 5-6 hours. Maybe just world boss.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
The big worry I have about WuWa is that it looks like they managed to cook up a gear system that is worse than Hoyo stuff, which is just baffling.
I'll check it out anyway, since they did pick a good date for it, but I'm kinda expecting to move on to ZZZ afterwards. But we'll have to see.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
The big worry I have about WuWa is that it looks like they managed to cook up a gear system that is worse than Hoyo stuff, which is just baffling.

I would argue that it's slightly better since we can grind for echoes as much as we want and substats are set in stone but since they are hidden unless you level them up which requires resources that can only be gained by spending energy/stamina, we gonna be at the mercy of what is pretty much the same RNG bullshit. That said, if the hardest content in the game doesn't required top notch echoes to clear (i highly doubt that it will) then it won't it matter all that much.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that it's slightly better since we can grind for echoes as much as we want and substats are set in stone but since they are hidden unless you level them up, we gonna be at the mercy of what is pretty much the same RNG bullshit. That said, if the hardest content in the game doesn't required top notch echoes to clear (i highly doubt that it will) then it won't it matter all that much.
That's not better, it's just grindier and you're still limited by daily respawns anyway unless you go world-hopping in co-op.
It has more potential substats and it's not possible to see whether a piece has any potential before investing Stamina-gated items into it.
The echoes with the biggest main stat variety have the smallest amount of enemies on the map.
There is no off-piece. I'm not sure if there's a "select your main stat" craft item to counter-balance that.
Technically there are "domains" that you let farm "conveniently" instead of having to go scouring the open world, but that convenience is paid with Stamina too, when you already need it for the upgrade mats anyway.

The hope is they tweak the economy properly before launch, because otherwise there's frankly no chance I'm sticking around post-honeymoon.

Last edited:

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC

The issue for me with WuWa is that aside from combat nothing else is impressive to me. The open world is uninteresting. The character designs are bland. It has/had glaring issues with its gear progression system and it overall feels like they're trying to rush it out the door with all the last minute translation fixes.

I tried PGR for 2 weeks and dropped it because it felt like I was trying to get into a version of HI3 that was even more unenjoyable (I quit HI3 during that god-awful moon arc).

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
That's not better, it's just grindier and you're still limited by daily respawns anyway unless you go world-hopping in co-op.
It has more potential substats and it's not possible to see whether a piece has potential before investing Stamina-gated items into it.
The echoes with the biggest main stat variety have the smallest amount of enemies on the map.
There is no off-piece. I'm not sure if there's a "select your main stat" craft item to counter-balance that.
Technically there are "domains" that you let farm "conveniently" instead of having to go scouring the open world, but that convenience is paid with Stamina too, when you already need it for the upgrade mats anyway.

The hope is they tweak the economy properly before launch, because otherwise there's frankly no chance I'm sticking around post-honeymoon.

They are at least making some tweaks before launch.

TDpntcB.png

2FIqmWn.png

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
They are at least making some tweaks before launch.

TDpntcB.png

2FIqmWn.png
I have seen those. Without seeing actual concrete numbers/details for these proposed changes it's hard to get too excited though. All of these would be definite improvements even in their worst implementation, but some key problematic areas still remain (amount of substats, no off-field pieces and the issues with 3 cost echo main stat variance vs. enemy amounts)
I'm also kind of wary that these changes are happening after the final closed beta. I feel like in-game progression/resource economy is very important to get right for these games and they should have done thes adjustments after the second beta so that they could confirm the effects in the final beta and would only really need to do small changes at that point.
There are bits and pieces here and there about this game that just give me "this is gonna be rushed out to some degree" red flags. I still think the game will have a fun core though.

thoughtloop

Apr 9, 2022
I have seen those. Without seeing actual concrete numbers/details for these proposed changes it's hard to get too excited though. All of these would be definite improvements even in their worst implementation, but some key problematic areas still remain (amount of substats, no off-field pieces and the issues with 3 cost echo main stat variance vs. enemy amounts)
I'm also kind of wary that these changes are happening after the final closed beta. I feel like in-game progression/resource economy is very important to get right for these games and they should have done thes adjustments after the second beta so that they could confirm the effects in the final beta and would only really need to do small changes at that point.
There are bits and pieces here and there about this game that just give me "this is gonna be rushed out to some degree" red flags. I still think the game will have a fun core though.
This is exactly one of the things it drives me insane I that cannot confirm or deny. I really, really hope Kuro is getting some legit partner content creators to help with the media blitz prior to launch. If they don't, everyone will find out what the implemented changes look like at launch. Which is weird. But maybe we're just the gacha nerds, and most people won't care? QOL and farming details like that matter to us.

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is random substat artifacts/relics are not necessary to keep people logging in and progressing your account.

PGR doesn't have them and there's always stuff to spend stamina on.

The fact that the hard content is designed so you don't need the best ones is actually a shit point.

With set things like PGR memories it makes it way easier to gauge the power level of players since it's just a matter of time versus a matter of complete luck.

Two players who play a artifact/relic game after 100 days will have different accounts due to the complete gear RNG. One might be significantly stronger than the other despite the both of them spending the same amount of stamina and time.

Two players after 100 days in a game with set gear like PGR will have the same account assuming they pulled on and built the same characters.

Also they can design content that uses more than two teams because getting those teams up and running is just a matter of time instead of a matter of complete luck malding at shitty artifact/relic RNG which means it will take players varying amounts of time to get the same number of teams up and running despite them all spending the same amount of days and stamina playing the game.

Artifacts/Relics are not a necessity and better systems that do the same thing (keep you logging in everyday) exist in other games without the bullshit.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I spent way too much gems but I got Bay... and a dupe lol

Honestly at this point it's less about the character but keeping my achievement of having all the characters in Nikke lol

Though with that latest roll, I now have 200 gold tickets. I may just buy Crown instantly when she drops cause I know I'm going to roll for dupes anyway to try and LB3 her.

Also in my attempts to get Bay... I got a dupe of Red Hood, so she is now Core Level 1!

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Wait, changing your name in Nikke is paid? I wasnt paying attention and got stuck as the default user10397527 name they give you.

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
Are you still unable to use lowercase letters for names in Nikke? I recall in the beginning it always changed to all uppercase letters, which was annoying.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020

Aesthetic is my main thing when it comes to picking a gacha to play and I don't like how WW look at all (I can see that it objectively looks good, I just don't vibe with the style) but they made combat and traversal look interesting enough to make me want to try the game in spite of that. Kind of the opposite of ZZZ, which I really like how the game looks but Hoyo combat and progression got kinda samey at this point that I don't really feel like playing more. Honkai 3rd Part 2 already scratch that non-open world Hoyo action itch for me.

I really wish I like WW art direction. Seems like it'd be a perfect game for me if that's the case.

thoughtloop

Apr 9, 2022
Aesthetic is my main thing when it comes to picking a gacha to play and I don't like how WW look at all (I can see that it objectively looks good, I just don't vibe with the style) but they made combat and traversal look interesting enough to make me want to try the game in spite of that. Kind of the opposite of ZZZ, which I really like how the game looks but Hoyo combat and progression got kinda samey at this point that I don't really feel like playing more. Honkai 3rd Part 2 already scratch that non-open world Hoyo action itch for me.

I really wish I like WW art direction. Seems like it'd be a perfect game for me if that's the case.
They've made revisions to the overall presentation, and many, many smaller details since CBT2! Even when CBT2 was launched, it was an older build of the game. How has it changed? I'm not able to say. As I said: I really, really hope the pre-launch gameplay is plentiful. With good partner content creators who will do deep dives. I don't want the pre-launch previews to just be official media and major gaming outlets. We need actual players to talk about the good, quirky, and things that might still need work.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
They've made revisions to the overall presentation, and many, many smaller details since CBT2!
Yeah, I can recognize that the game's presentation keeps looking better and better but it's still the in same style that I don't like (particularly the characters' faces) and I doubt that's going to change now and I don't know if I can keep playing a gacha that I don't like how the characters look.

I'll definitely try it out but gameplay and story have to be phenomenal to keep me playing in the long run. And even then, I have a feeling that I'd probably only be coming back for big updates if I don't feel like pulling any character.

WW really puts my taste in games into perspective. I never thought I care about a specifc look of a game this much before this lol. Like, the game looks really high quality and the models looks even more impressive than Hoyo's stuff and even the art style and character design is the type that I assume a lot of people would consider as almost indistinguishable from Hoyo's games but that slight deviation made all the differences.

OP
OP
GooZ

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can the maintenance happen already. I just want to experience the new story quest and event Shift Up..

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up to the story in Nikke, now need to finish Side Story before Maintenance.

I can't tell if I was just really OP or the Crystal Chamber boss was like... Stupid easy lol

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
The thing is random substat artifacts/relics are not necessary to keep people logging in and progressing your account.

PGR doesn't have them and there's always stuff to spend stamina on.

The fact that the hard content is designed so you don't need the best ones is actually a shit point.

With set things like PGR memories it makes it way easier to gauge the power level of players since it's just a matter of time versus a matter of complete luck.

Two players who play a artifact/relic game after 100 days will have different accounts due to the complete gear RNG. One might be significantly stronger than the other despite the both of them spending the same amount of stamina and time.

Two players after 100 days in a game with set gear like PGR will have the same account assuming they pulled on and built the same characters.

Also they can design content that uses more than two teams because getting those teams up and running is just a matter of time instead of a matter of complete luck malding at shitty artifact/relic RNG which means it will take players varying amounts of time to get the same number of teams up and running despite them all spending the same amount of days and stamina playing the game.

Artifacts/Relics are not a necessity and better systems that do the same thing (keep you logging in everyday) exist in other games without the bullshit.

Yeah, I couldn't stick with Genshin/HSR due to the artifact system. All else being equal, the gap between random artifacts and a fully kitted out char is gigantic. People might say main stat is enough, but sometimes even the main stat just never drops. Epic 7 had a similar gear system, but at least there were ways to get fixed gear in events / other modes. They aren't perfect (usually 3 good stats and one bad one), but thats still a fair sight better that what RNG usually gets you.

And like you said, it makes the game super difficult to balance. If you design it for a player with average RNG and good skill, a whale with kitted out gear (thanks to stamina refills + 5* weapons) will absolutely obliterate the content. And if you do it the other way round, the average player will just tickle the boss.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Woolie and Pat talking about Nikke actually made me download it.

It's more fun than I was expecting. Got to be careful when playing it in public though, heh. It's by far the horniest of the 9 or so gacha games I've played.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Is it looking like Wuthering Waves will be another Genshin situation as it pertains to a PlayStation release? I'll try it on my iPhone if necessary, but was really hoping for a console release.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So... The Side Story in Nikke was great imho! I really enjoyed it.

But now that I've actually see Marian's new design next to other characters... It just seems... Off? I think it's the art style, it's clearly a different artist than the original design and it's a style that stands out... but not necessarily in a good way. It would be fine if it was on it's own but...

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Yeah, I couldn't stick with Genshin/HSR due to the artifact system. All else being equal, the gap between random artifacts and a fully kitted out char is gigantic. People might say main stat is enough, but sometimes even the main stat just never drops. Epic 7 had a similar gear system, but at least there were ways to get fixed gear in events / other modes. They aren't perfect (usually 3 good stats and one bad one), but thats still a fair sight better that what RNG usually gets you.

And like you said, it makes the game super difficult to balance. If you design it for a player with average RNG and good skill, a whale with kitted out gear (thanks to stamina refills + 5* weapons) will absolutely obliterate the content. And if you do it the other way round, the average player will just tickle the boss.

I feel outside of Abyss in Genshin or MoC/Pure Fiction in HSR, you dont really need an "OP" character though and even as F2P you can finish them if you plan well and got good artifacts. But the pulls you get from that even are not even worth mentioning in my opinion.
Unless people are into min-maxing for whatever reason, the main and most sidecontent outside the endgame stuff that just comes around every 4 weeks or so and takes 10-20 minutes to clear/finish as much as you can, everything those games throw at you is more like really easy and there is no need to find the perfect artifacts.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
So... The Side Story in Nikke was great imho! I really enjoyed it.

But now that I've actually see Marian's new design next to other characters... It just seems... Off? I think it's the art style, it's clearly a different artist than the original design and it's a style that stands out... but not necessarily in a good way. It would be fine if it was on it's own but...

It feels like a gatcha skin they made part of the story, which stinks. Feels very off like you said.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like a gatcha skin they made part of the story, which stinks. Feels very off like you said.

Yeah and even when you compare it to the other Gacha skins for non-crossover characters, it stands out even compared to those.

---------------------------

So on Snowbreak, I'm upgrading Chenxing cause I think she is my only support who can heal that I have?

But do I even need to bother with upgrading her weapon? It feels like a waste? Plus, I only have one Purple AR. So I probably shouldn't invest in Blue rarity guns?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and even when you compare it to the other Gacha skins for non-crossover characters, it stands out even compared to those.

---------------------------

So on Snowbreak, I'm upgrading Chenxing cause I think she is my only support who can heal that I have?

But do I even need to bother with upgrading her weapon? It feels like a waste? Plus, I only have one Purple AR. So I probably shouldn't invest in Blue rarity guns?

As far as I'm aware, upgrading your support weapons isn't as important. I believe you can tier them up to improve their support skill (if the weapon impacts support skill efficacy), but unless you intend to field them for any reason, you're safe to invest in primary and sub-DPS for your teams.

Yao Quiet Quitter is a healer, too. She's a 4* sniper, so you should probably have her by now if you've been pulling at all.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm aware, upgrading your support weapons isn't as important. I believe you can tier them up to improve their support skill (if the weapon impacts support skill efficacy), but unless you intend to field them for any reason, you're safe to invest in primary and sub-DPS for your teams.

Yao Quiet Quitter is a healer, too. She's a 4* sniper, so you should probably have her by now if you've been pulling at all.

I actually have her 5 star version, though that version isn't a support. Though considering that boss weekly thing seems to need 2 teams, I'm guessing I'll need a second support upgraded.

MildSoss

Oct 25, 2017
Snowbreak kind of sucked me in this weekend and haven't been able to put it down.

Story is downright awful from what I've played so far though but having a skip button for almost everything is amazing.

One question though, is there any way to redo your previous runs on the weekly bosses? I didn't realize you had to use two teams and use all my good units on the first boss so now they're locked out lol

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking up the IAP for Wuthering Waves today and the microtransaction currency price breakdown being the -exact- same as Genshin made me chuckle.

IMG-9524.jpg

IMG-9523.jpg

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
HTK confirmed a "very high quality" Stellar Blade crossover in NIKKE is in the works

www.gamerbraves.com

EXCLUSIVE: Stellar Blade Game Director Confirms NIKKE Crossover, Talks Design & Reactions from the West

The excitement grew ever stronger each day as the release of Stellar Blade, the latest game by SHIFT UP, the

It will be interesting to see how it goes. Since obviously a crossover with well, themselves, doesn't necessarily have all the restrictions that crossing over with another IP would have.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Snowbreak kind of sucked me in this weekend and haven't been able to put it down.

Story is downright awful from what I've played so far though but having a skip button for almost everything is amazing.

One question though, is there any way to redo your previous runs on the weekly bosses? I didn't realize you had to use two teams and use all my good units on the first boss so now they're locked out lol

Story is pretty bad early on. I skipped everything after trying to care for the first few chapters.

As for the weekly, you can't use the same squad for both bosses. You can "reset" and run with a different lineup, though. So in your case, you could rerun with better team spreads.