hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017

Gal Gadot and her husband Jaron Varsano are partnering with Keshet International for a film adaptation of controversial novel "Borderlife," about a romance between a Jewish Israeli woman and a Palestinian man.

The Wonder Woman star and Varsano will co-produce the film through their production banner Pilot Wave in partnership with U.S.-based Keshet Studios, headed by Peter Traugott.

"Borderlife," known in English as "All the Rivers," was published in 2014. The international bestselling novel from Israeli author Dorit Rabinian tells the story of a Jewish woman and Palestinian man who meet in New York and fall in love.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Israel's education ministry banned the book from high school reading lists because of its depiction of a cross-cultural romance. The decision sparked protests and the novel was later allowed in advanced literature classes.

Fucking hell there's some irony.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's an interesting choice. Hopefully it turns out positively but her previous statements make this... curious. I have no familiarity with the source material.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Odd that the Deadline article doesn't mention her previous support for IDF soldiers.

Wonder if this is her possibly being more empathic of Palestinians, will only know with the end product.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Interesting that someone that says "we are right" in regards to the horrible treatment of Palestines would do this.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting idea, but Gal Gadot has also highlighted her support of the IDF and what they are doing to Palestinians previously.

I guess it can't be exciting if it isn't some "forbidden romance" after all.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Watch it be Guess Who's Coming To Dinner where the Palestinian is the pinnacle human being while the Israeli is just an average person and the movie implies the former being uber means they're now good enough for the latter.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Yeah fuck off Gal. You've made your opinions on the Humanity status on Palestinians already. Not human enough for your standards. So fuck off into the sun.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not a huge fan of the book.
It will probably piss some of the worst and dumbest people in Israel, so at least there's that.

Edit: just a small note, the book is not banned in Israel, it was removed from the mandatory high school reading list due to political pressure.

Fucking hell there's some irony.
Jews can't marry Muslims in Israel and it is the official policy of the Israeli government that this is something that should be prevented even abroad.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It will probably piss some of the worst and dumbest people in Israel, so at least there's that.

Edit: just a small note, the book is not banned in Israel, it was removed from the mandatory high school reading list due to political pressure.

Jews can't marry Muslims in Israel and it is the official policy of the Israeli government that this is something that should be prevented even abroad.
Eventhough I'm innately familiar with the Israel-Palestine situation. I'll never stop getting surprised by the irony of their racial bias considering how the country started.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eventhough I'm innately familiar with the Israel-Palestine situation. I'll never stop getting surprised by the irony of their racial bias considering how the country started.
The basic idea of Zionism is to create an ethnostate in a part of the world where there were very few people of that ethnicity.
I think those issues were there from the start.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah fuck off Gal. You've made your opinions on the Humanity status on Palestinians already. Not human enough for your standards. So fuck off into the sun.
I'm not familiar with her previous statements, how long ago were they? But more importantly, and I'm being sincere and not trying to start something, cant her opinions change though to be more empathetic? I'm honestly very ignorant on her comments and the situation, and just looking for info

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I thought Gal was a pretty well known zionist. Maybe she's chilled out on that front or I'm misinformed.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

But these two are married...

Lucy Aharish & Zachi Halevy:

r

Is their marriage not legal in Israel? Because nothing from what I've read indicates that it isn't legal. They've even been supported and defended by quite a number of Knesset members, and members of the public.

Also, holy shit at this article.

On Monday, however, the same anonymous viewer renewed his complaint in a more belligerent tone. If Ms. Aharish needed the "relief" of speaking Arabic, he wrote in an email, "let her go to the bathroom, give a speech in Arabic to the toilet bowl and come back and talk to us only in Hebrew." If it was so important to her, he said, "let her go to Al-Jazeera."

No sooner had their wedding been reported than the interior minister, Aryeh Deri, condemned their union as an example of assimilation that he said was "consuming the Jewish people," and urged Ms. Aharish to convert, lest their children face "serious problems."

A right-wing lawmaker known for rabble-rousing, Oren Hazan, accused Mr. Halevi of becoming "Islamicized" and suggested he had gotten carried away with his role in "Fauda" as an Israeli counterterrorism agent who goes undercover as an Arab.

I follow Lucy on social media, so I remember when the news broke of her marriage. It was wonderful seeing all the support and love people were sending her. Hopefully with the two being high profile, it starts a change in people's attitudes to inter-faith marriages.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Fuck Gal.

I expect the worst from a supporter of war criminals.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not play those games, Jews can't marry Muslims or Christians in Israel and I'm pretty sure you know it.
Not sure what they did, but if it's a legal marriage they had to do abroad.
Also, they had member of parliament denouncing their marriage in the Knesset, let's not try to paint a picture that intra-religious marriage is the norm in Israel. Most Israelis Jews are against it (70-90% depends on the survey) and many see it as a threat to the state of Israel. This is also the official position of the government of Israel and has been so for a long time.

That's why I'm asking you, because it doesn't mention that their marriage was done over seas. I know they had Knesset members denounce their marriage, I literally quoted it from the article I've posted. Also, where did I paint a picture that inter-faith marriage is the norm in Israel. The last sentence in my post even states that I hope those two being public figures changes the attitudes to inter-faith relationships. Did you read my entire post?

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So... Did she actually said anything about the IDF other than that old tweet with her daughter?

Cause if that's really the only thing then people need to chill...

That tweet was a big nothing... Especially considering that she actually used to be in the army. I saw it the same way as an American vet tweeting support for the US Army...

Of course there could have been other instances of her support that I am not aware of.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Why must we argue like that?
I said Jews can't marry Christians and Muslim in Israel and it's true, you know it's true, but you made a pretty misleading about the situation in Israel both in terms of the legal status and the way society accept it.

I suspect you are pretty okay with the state of things, maybe explain why instead of pretending Jews can marry Muslims in Israel.

p.s.
The fact that you can marry abroad is not because Israel want Jews to marry non-Jews, it's because they'll have a huge problem with American Jews if they don't do that. The Israeli right has been talking about closing that loophole for years. And in any case, that's a loophole for rich people, and kids of intra-religious marriage face some unique problems in Israel, depending on whether it's the mom or the dad who is Jewish.

Again, if you've read my entire post, you would see I did not do that. Where exactly did I say what you're saying I said?

Hopefully with the two being high profile, it starts a change in people's attitudes to inter-faith marriages.

That sounds to you like I believe inter-faith marriage is something that is common in Israel? I asked you a question about how one particular couple managed to get married in Israel, and then posted an article talking about all the shit they went through (once their marriage was public, and also shit Lucy goes through for simply making a greeting in Arabic on her news show), and you're here coming at me for misleading people on inter-faith marriages legality and support in Israel. I'm confused.

Ps. I'm going to pretend something is getting mixed up between us, so I'm going to let the bit where you suspect that I'm ok with the status quo in Israel in regards to this issue slide. Hopefully we're just misunderstanding each other.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
If the book mentions real problems fairly and doesn't turn a blind eye towards Palestine's mistreatments then I wonder how well the book will do in Israel.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Gal Gadon't pretend you were always cool about this.

But also, maybe let's wait and see how this plays out. I wouldn't be shocked if it's a neoliberal orientalist fantasy that whitewashes Israel's racial supremacist ethnostate reality, but maybe it'll surprise. maybe.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
So... Did she actually said anything about the IDF other than that old tweet with her daughter?

That tweet was a big nothing... Especially considering that she actually used to be in the army. I saw it the same way as an American vet tweeting support for the US Army...

Of course there could have been other instances of her support that I am not aware of.

That's pretty much it. Take what you will from it.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I had no idea. How can this be a thing in a modern society. I know most Muslim countries have similar laws but they don't actually pretend to be democracies.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019

That's the only thing she's ever said. That one post. In 2014.

Meanwhile, more recently, there's this:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty much it. Take what you will from it.

Thanks

Yeah people really need to get the fuck over that tweet. It was already a big nothing when she originally posted it and it is even less a thing now 6 years later.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018

And not a mention of Palestine or Palestinians anywhere.

And for those who are telling me to get over it, no.
When she wrote that tweet she expressed sympathy to those who were committing atrocities at the time and leaving out the victims of fucking war crimes, context matters.

This weak statement that conveniently doesn't even mention the victims in this is not enough.

Fuck Gal Gadot.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah fuck this. She is last person Who should be involved with this after her gross defense of genocide.

Anybody defending the IDF is a piece of shit in my book.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tead the book, but it's a best selling Israeli book from an Israeli author. I don't trust it to represent Palestinians fairly or even alleviate the negative image of Palestinians in the media. But it's already boosting, former IDF soldier and warcrime supporter, Gal Gadot's image as seen very clearly in this thread.