DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the design. I think centered camera hole looks worse than right side hole. When it's on the side you don't notice it as much, it fades out. When centered it is always there to remind you. I likit to be on the left than right though. I look at the right side indicators more often than the left ones, you can change it but it's just a habit. This one is no better than the eyedrop notch that you see on midrange phones this year. Who care about that tiny gap? When it's in your face, it doesn't make a difference.

Last edited:

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holding onto my s8+ for life. Oh wait, guess I can eventually get the s10 in the future.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So I'm paying more for less reliability, efficiency, and (potentially) audio quality?

You know what's cheap, reliable, and doesn't need additional charging? 3.5mm and USB cables that I already own.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the fuss. The world has moved on from headphone jacks and analog audio. Most people I see listening to music on their phones either have wireless headphones, earbuds or airpods-type earphones.
Lol because they're phones don't have headphone jacks and ain't nobody got time to carry around a dongle for it. People moved on because phones did, not the other way around

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
whichever way you know best. i dont know the details and technical stuff on how a usb-c can be used. i just know it probably can be used for audio since everything else is capable from what i can see.
The point is that they already do that, but different OEMs use different implementations so USB-C dongle A may work on phone B, but not phone C.

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, let's pretend they are getting rid of the headphone jacks because the consumers are asking for it. It being much cheaper and easier to them (one less thing to worry about while designing new phones) while also forcing people to buy dongles or new expensive bluetooth headphones have nothing to do with it. No, not at all.
They are getting rid of the headphone jack because consumers don't care about it. Why spend extra money on something that does not impact sales materially?

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Starting another wireless vs wired war convo here again is a lost cause. Just let people use what they want, if the demand is real and wired is tRuLy SuPeRiOr tO "courage" then the industry would respond and OEM's wouldn't take out the headphone ja- whoops

If you think they are doing this because of consumer preference you're extremely naive. Again, you can use Bluetooth on phones with a headphone jack, removing it isn't helping anyone who already uses Bluetooth. They are doing this to sell you more stuff, not because it benefits the consumer.

Yeah but then we can't all be outraged

People have legitimate reasons they prefer having a headphone jack and they've been expressed many times, even in this thread, but go ahead and keep pretending people are just being irrationally angry.

They are getting rid of the headphone jack because consumers don't care about it. Why spend extra money on something that does not impact sales materially?

Wired headphone sales were far larger than Bluetooth at the time that Apple decided to remove the headphone jack. Do you have any facts to back up your claim?

Last edited:

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Guess I'll be using my note 9 until it falls apart...
I've stuck with my OnePlus 5T partly because it's successors don't have a headphone jack. I had kind of, accepted that I'd have to shell out a grip of cash to upgrade someday since Samsung were the only ones keeping the headphone jack, but I guess there likely won't be any headphone options available by the next time I'm looking to upgrade .

This sucks.

Oct 27, 2017
these companies are already positioning their different tiers, i fully expect headphone jacks to come back within 5 years.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Car without BT, need AUX input for audio
At that point I would make a car stereo upgrade before dropping $1000 on a Galaxy Note. Even $50 stereo receivers have BT nowadays, and it's such a quality-of-life improvement not to have to fiddle around with wires everytime you are in and out of the car.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At that point I would make a car stereo upgrade before dropping $1000 on a Galaxy Note. Even $50 stereo receivers have BT nowadays, and it's such a quality-of-life improvement not to have to fiddle around with wires everytime you are in and out of the car.
Or get a $20 BT/AUX adapter

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

You can't change the radio in my car.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'd much rather just use the cables I already own that are like 5000% cheaper than buying a new car stereo.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the fuss. The world has moved on from headphone jacks and analog audio. Most people I see listening to music on their phones either have wireless headphones, earbuds or airpods-type earphones.

This is purely complaining for the sake of it.

I use a pair of wired ear buds every single day with my phone. Plenty of people still do.

Tiddy

Oct 25, 2017
No wonder. And this was 2016. Nowadays it has to be even more.
bildschirmfoto2019-08iokam.png

source

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Screw Apple and Ives, it is mostly their fault for their "courage". Ruining the planet one wireless earbud at the time, the Airpods are notorious for not retaining a charge after 1.5 years or so, so people will throw them away and buy new ones. Absolutely no consumer benefit for removing the headphone jack, it isn't enough space to make the battery noticeable larger or anything, it is just a ploy to try to sell more wireless earbuds/dongle replacements and save a couple of cents per manufactured phone.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
This sucks so much. This push to eliminate headphone jacks only benefits hardware makers, and our ability to vote with our wallets is being eliminated by there just being no options left of the market.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Half the reason I got a pixel 3aXL was because it still had a headphone jack. Fuck all these companies trying to kill it off so they can sell expensive wireless ear buds.

This sucks so much. This push to eliminate headphone jacks only benefits hardware makers, and our ability to vote with our wallets is being eliminated by there just being no options left of the market.

The Google pixel 3a phones are incredible phones and still have it. And I believe Asus and Sony phones still have the jack as well.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so on the fence regarding the Note10.. everything I read says the S11 or whatever next year will already be way more powerful.

I have a Note9.. but always love to get the next big thing.. but the standard Note10 might not even be much better? Need to get the Note10+ which might be $1200-$1500! Sigh.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or get a $20 BT/AUX adapter
I'd much rather just use the cables I already own that are like 5000% cheaper than buying a new car stereo.
I didn't even know that they made AUX-Bluetooth dongles -- and they are cheap as hell too. Probably annoying to keep 'em charged, but not a bad substitute for a proper BT car stereo.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Half the reason I got a pixel 3aXL was because it still had a headphone jack. Fuck all these companies trying to kill it off so they can sell expensive wireless ear buds.

The Google pixel 3a phones are incredible phones and still have it. And I believe Asus and Sony phones still have the jack as well.
The issue is that there are always fewer and fewer companies leaving the option in. Co

I guess we'll see how long they hold out, I'm not convinced of anything at this point. I didn't think OnePlus would drop the headphone jack, but here we are.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Same here, good luck with an aftermarket radio in my car, lol... It is 100% proprietary in shape/size and allot of car controls are integrated into the unit. My car does have bluetooth but with newer phones/bluetooth revisions/etc it can easily become less reliable to use such features and may become limited to only phone calls, etc. This happened to my prior car with 2006 Bluetooth support that was very flaky with newer phones. My current car is a 2013 model that still works with my phone, but I'm not going to spend another $50k to get a brand new car just to have an updated stereo system if future phones don't work with it. My car is all paid off now and I'm holding on to it until I someday go electric.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I didn't even know that they made AUX-Bluetooth dongles -- and they are cheap as hell too. Probably annoying to keep 'em charged, but not a bad substitute for a proper BT car stereo.

But now your audio quality is reliant on what's in that cheap dongle and not the audio output built into the phone. I believe some phones have legitimately decent DACs built in. Who knows what's in that adapter.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
fuck yes. Hopefully by next year all phones drop this so people can finally shut up about it

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But now your audio quality is reliant on what's in that cheap dongle and not the audio output built into the phone. I believe some phones have legitimately decent DACs built in. Who knows what's in that adapter.
If audio quality is that important, then why use a stock car stereo receiver that is probably a decade old at this point? These adapters run $7-$20 -- I would argue that the convenience alone is worth taking a cheap gamble on audio quality.