Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I suspect this could be an issue for street fighter. But SF definitely aims more for the "age builds power" which is incredibly valid.

That being said, they just introduced a brand new bad ass villain, and he is possibly the oldest person in the roster.

Look at martial artist in their 50s and 60s that still have careers and sometimes even older. Hell look at Bolo in Bloodsport.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
My answer is that fiction does not have to be realistic and I've never sat through a game seriously annoyed by characters being too old for their adventures.

Ara63

Nov 21, 2023
Age isn't a problem, and in fact we need more older playable characters in games.

It's appearance count that's the "problem" here - LAD doesn't have too much more it can do with Kiryu not because he's old but because he's been in focus for ten or so games at this point.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Gimme older characters over thirsty high school students any day. It's one of the reasons Like a Dragon 7 & 8 are so great.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the things I like about the Yakuza games tbh.

LAD/Yakuza's biggest problem is that they have to adapt and change completely the foundation of the franchise as a decade plus on from Bōhaijōrei and the Yakuza itself is nothing like what it was in Japan.

There's only so many ex-Yakuza storylines they can keep doing unless they make more period pieces like 0.

I thought about this too, I wonder if that's part of the reason they changed the name in the west. They've shown with the Judgment games that they can do a great story without relying on involving the Yakuza so much, so I'm not worried.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
These characters can handle beatings that would kill a real person, age doesn't matter in the logic of these games

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see an issue. I welcome older heroes, and I'd welcome older heroines even more to be honest - that's a type of character video game are sorely lacking in general.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bigger problem for female characters since game companies typically don't let them physically age.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I think the actual answer to this is just to be loose about when games are set. It's a bit harder for games like Like a Dragon/Yakuza, where being contemporary feels like a signature of the series (setting aside period pieces like Yakuza 0, which honestly I'd love to see more of), but most games don't literally need to be set in the exact year of its release every time. Just because a sequel takes six years to come out doesn't mean it also needs to be set six years after its predecessor. Done!

Regarding the "ageist" stuff, I feel like the OP's conundrum is less about "should old people be allowed to exist/lead a game" and more about "should old people be able to beat up a thousand people like they used to two decades ago." Which is still maybe not that big of a deal because hell, action movies used to do it all the time too.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, have you seen how hot Kiryu is at 55? Kasuga is nearing 50 too. I think the weirder thing is that not one character in the RE universe besides Barry (and Ethan I guess) had a kid. I get that not everyone has to have kids but not one of these dudes? Go home and be a family man/woman.

SEATLiens

Aug 28, 2019
Seattle
Street Fighter - I want to see some of them show their age but Capcom needs to keep selling costumes for Cammy and Chun Li.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly related, but it's still an interesting coincidence that I just watched an Ethan Hawke video last night where one of the things he talked about was the movie Boyhood. I've never seen it (but really want to now!) that in a way addresses the issue of characters who age and how it's either handled via major time skips or the actor is replaced, which are both jarring. But here they literally filmed the movie over the span of a decade+. What an amazing concept that is made even more amazing by the fact that they actually followed through, made it happen, and from the looks of it, created a very memorable/great film.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I don't think it's really an issue with RE. The older generation can slowly transition into being the grizzled vets, while a newer generation like Rose and others can carry things on. And really, the cast follows Hollywood rules, where 48 is still a perfectly fine age to be an action hero. You only have to start worrying a little once Leon's in his 60s. And even then, you can always just do a remake or a story set earlier in the timeline if you want to do young Leon/Chris/Jill/whoever.

As for Yakuza, they dealt with Kiryu's age pretty explicitly in the last game. They're not shying away from it.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Tom Cruise is still playing action hero in his 50s. 48 is nothing.
The main audience for these games are gonna keep aging, so it's not an issue on the audience side either. Same with the developers.

What's really an issue is that these franchises are afraid of having women leads. Women are clearly seen as more risky. Doesn't help there is more demand for male chars too. In part because these franchises have been so scared for so long of using the female cast.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I can believe a guy can dodge and survive bullets and run for hours without rest I can certainly believe an old guy can do it too.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
I don't see how this is a problem.

Terry Bogard aged in Garou Mark of The Wolves and the cast in street fighter 6 also aged and they're awesome.

I mean, they are fighters and train constantly, so I guess they can do that shit even if they are older.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Halo & Master Chief. I think he should've been kept on ice for a bit longer (10,000 years) after the events of Halo 3, and 343 introduce lead characters of their own.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
For the record:

John Cena - 47
john-cena-oscars4.jpg

Adam Copeland - 50

l-intro-1701109308.jpg

Billy Gunn - 60
Q0jP9aB.jpeg

What exactly is the issue with a 50 year old Kiryu or Leon, people who undoubtedly live athletic lifestyles, doing athletic things?

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Developers need to be braver about killing off/sunsetting characters and gamers need to be less precious.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
For the record:

John Cena - 47
john-cena-oscars4.jpg

Adam Copeland - 50

l-intro-1701109308.jpg

Billy Gunn - 60
Q0jP9aB.jpeg

What exactly is the issue with a 50 year old Kiryu or Leon, people who undoubtedly live athletic lifestyles, doing athletic things?

As long as the TRT flowing, they'd be fine, just like these guys.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is Ernie Hudson at 78 in real life.
feature-Ernie-Hudson-Explains-Why-He-Constantly-Has-to-Work-Job-to-Job-After-60-Years-of-Acting.jpg

And you expect me to believe 48 in fiction is a problem?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Well, its their fault for never ending the franchise and keeping the same characters in an advancing timeline. If theyre too iconic to ever phase out or kill off, guess theyre gonna stick as particularly fit and good looking grandpas.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a video game. Give me more 50 year olds dudes doing high octane shit. Fuck them kids.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect this could be an issue for street fighter. But SF definitely aims more for the "age builds power" which is incredibly valid.

That being said, they just introduced a brand new bad ass villain, and he is possibly the oldest person in the roster.

Look at martial artist in their 50s and 60s that still have careers and sometimes even older. Hell look at Bolo in Bloodsport.
I sincerely hope that they have Ryu throwing Hadokens one-handed like Gouken does in the next mainline SF title to show how much better he's gotten

Jul 24, 2018
I thought this was gonna be a thread about how characters dont look their age which I do somewhat agree with but yeah no. Older protagonists is great, yo

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Developers need to be braver about killing off/sunsetting characters and gamers need to be less precious.

This. I don't have a problem with "old" characters still doing cool shit, but I think a lot of franchises in all forms of media would be better off if they knew when to call a character done.

Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
There's no reason any property can't easily fit new stories into these character's lives. The games themselves don't span a decade in time, they just like to skip a decade between telling a new story. Also, they're videogame characters. They don't actually age. One little plot device and whamo, they de-age or are immortal or stop aging. So no, it's certainly not a problem if they don't want it to be. Fear not! :)

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do what Street fighter did and ignore making a sequel that ages the characters in the timeline for years.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
It shouldn't be a problem, let people age. Capcom pulling that 'Jill doesn't age' stuff in one of the CG movies is some cowardly bullshit.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
This worries me for Resident Evil because they haven't created any new likable protagonists in a long time

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Tekken does not give a single shit about age when it comes to fighting ability and I love that about it. Heihachi was in his mid 70's and still throwing hands like the best of them. If a work of fiction is playing fast and loose with realism then honestly I don't think it's an issue.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza is essentially real time, so I don't see a problem, honestly.

If anything, it's interesting.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I remember Street Fighter II: The World Warrior showing birth dates for the characters. Mostly from the 1960s. I think that's stopped at this point.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Characters aging is a problem? We have enough games with protagonists in their teens and twenties. Having a few in their 40s shouldn't be controversial. As long as they are aged accordingly.