keyrodi

Feb 19, 2018
It's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. There are people in their 60s more fit than people in their 20s. Plus it's a video game, I can suspend my disbelief for that.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If my consumption of Japanese media has prepared me for a single thing, it's to completely ignore how old a character is in canon and just sorta go with what my gut feels is appropriate.

I don't care if the text says that the dragon is 10,000 years old. They look like they're 12. I don't care if a man is 55 years old, he looks like an olympic athlete in his mid-20s.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Kiryu isn't the main character of Yakuza anymore and he won't be playable in 9. It's not an issue in my mind.
Wait, when has that been confirmed? He's still extremely popular, it's the most simple thing to bring him back in 9. I don't see any reason to assume he's not in 9. I'm also still waiting on the Judgement/Yakuza cross over game

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I love the idea of a grizzled Leon. Slap a beard on that beautiful man

Give me older characters.

Kiryu feels different because it's a combination of ridiculous martial arts and they put silver streaks in his hair. He is basically a different character between cutscenes and gameplay in 8

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
I don't know about Yakuza, but the Resident Evil characters are superheroes, and they might be face captures of people, but they aren't actual people on the screen. They can keep going until we're all dead, and why not? I want to see how ridiculous they can make it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, when has that been confirmed? He's still extremely popular, it's the most simple thing to bring him back in 9. I don't see any reason to assume he's not in 9. I'm also still waiting on the Judgement/Yakuza cross over game

They can't keep giving him false finales. The end of 8 should be his exit. It completely ruins his character to keep doing fakeouts.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
If resident evil wants to keep its characters fighting-fit forever, all they have to do is BS a virus, parasite or bioweapon that makes them eternally young and then throw in plot to explain how the good guys froze their own disease progression

Great Martinez Jr.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
As others have said, if live action movies can have characters in their 50's and 60's tearing down armies, so can videogames, so it's not really a problem.

If anything, the problem is companies like Capcom refusing to age their female characters past 30, as has also been noted.

Mar 28, 2024
Age surely didn't stop old granpa Auron from being a badass!
latest

Deleted member 35618

Dec 7, 2017
Eh, the bigger problem is the lack of older characters. See women characters in essentially every fighting game.

Boopers

Nov 1, 2020
Vermont usa
I think it's cool as long as they make the characters look their age. There seems to be a thing where that doesn't happen, especially with female characters.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I think their ages are fine. In real life we have actors like Keanu Reeves, Harrison Ford, Sylvester Stallone, Denzel, etc who are headlining, or headlined, action films until their late 50s/60s and later.

southwest

Sep 15, 2022
Of all the things that happen in Resident Evil over the past 3 decades, Leon Kennedy's age is a problem?

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
liam neeson was like 56 when the FIRST taken came out. keanu was 50 for the first john wick a decade ago and those are still coming out. i think acknowleding it while having the story make sense, as happens in Yakuza games, makes sense.

Tony72495

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I think of Kiryu kind of like I think of Kratos, it doesn't really matter how old he gets, he can still punch good.

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
You know what no one has ever said?

"I certainly hope this character is significantelly older in the next game"

No one cares if the characters dont age, at least dramatically. Just dont do it. Of course after you've done it with a series you fucked up and cant go back so gl to capcom.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
You know what no one has ever said?

"I certainly hope this character is significantelly older in the next game"

No one cares if the characters dont age, at least dramatically. Just dont do it. Of course after you've done it with a series you fucked up and cant go back so gl to capcom.

I do hope Jill is significantly older in the next game.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do hope Jill is significantly older in the next game.

Unlikely, since they went out of their way to justify why she hasn't aged a day since 1998 in the most recent movie that had everyone.

That being said, despite the fact they have a excuse to use Jill without having to age her that much they still refuse to actually use her so...

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
There's no rule that a game series has to push a timeline forward or can't pull a timeline back. They could make a RE set in 2000 very easily.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Unlikely, since they went out of their way to justify why she hasn't aged a day since 1998 in the most recent movie that had everyone.

That being said, despite the fact they have a excuse to use Jill without having to age her that much they still refuse to actually use her so...

But the people who went out of their way to justify that were the people who made the movie

Those same people said in an interview that they were under the impression Death Island took place only a few years after RE3make, which is why they used a version of the RE3 Jill model, and that they later discovered it was like 17 years but Capcom didn't say anything to them when they were making the movie, so they just went on with it.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I think the bigger problem might be the fan bases inability to move on from characters and unwillingness to be open to change.

I have no issue with playing with older characters. - I'm not exactly young lol - but when people are saying "more Leon or bust" I'm kinda like - really? This is why we can't move on from Skywalkers 🤣

Time marches on
Fresh blood is renewal
Gameplay evolves and so can our PCs

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. Like, that Death Island movie was ridiculous because if I was the villain i'd immediately give up if the people who are famous for stopping bioterrorism showed up out of nowhere.
Also, you can't forget that these people are like already a PhD in physics, a seasoned helicopter and jet pilot, a physician and absolved every military combat training by the age of 22.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
This is Ernie Hudson at 78 in real life.
feature-Ernie-Hudson-Explains-Why-He-Constantly-Has-to-Work-Job-to-Job-After-60-Years-of-Acting.jpg

And you expect me to believe 48 in fiction is a problem?

And the impact doubles when you point out here is Bill Murray, "younger" at 73

ernie-hudson-bill-murray-ghostbusters-frozen-empire-012924-bcff4853dc524130be9c6799cf2229a5.jpg

I assumed and thought for sure Ernie Hudson must have be 10/15 years younger than the other Ghostbusters, but nope, he's actually older.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
lean into it!

Following Kiryu through his life is pretty great, I kind of wish he was visually aging a bit more though.

Hopefully the next one he can start complaining about back problems

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They already did stuff that was impossible for them to do when they were young, so who cares if they're doing it still while they're old?

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Aging is great, update the models to reflect it and we're all set. We need more of it for women and men. Japan's Shonen culture is a big drag on writing quality. Everybody gotta be a 17 year old grizzled veteran.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I like it when creators lean into it and it impacts things in the game. An example would be MGS4 where Old Snake's back would hurt or his aiming would wobble. If a game franchise isn't ready to move on to a new MC and age is getting to a ridiculous point, I would appreciate they at least make an effort to explain it with the most unconvoluted in-universe reasoning. In fantastical universes like RE, that's pretty easy (slow/deaging). In Yakuza, outside of cutscenes/side stories, it's pretty grounded so Kiryu should be graying and have more wrinkles if he's gonna be around into his 60s/70s.

Harmen

Aug 30, 2023
Kiryu looks a bit too good for his age perhaps, but that's my only minor issue.

In Resident Evil the writers could explain everything easily. So many supernatural and scientific weird stuff in that universe.