• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played a Tales game since Vesperia but I think I might jump in for this one.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
The Kindle version is finally out! I'm a little too tired to dive into any details from it, but a couple quick mentions are that they asked about a photo mode and were told it's not currently in the game, though it gave them something to consider adding. I thought I'd also share this quote because it made me want to vomit:

"There is a bit of a random element to the results of your crafting," Kagawa says. "As you craft items, you can also enhance them, power them up, and acquire new skills or different powers that go on to these weapons and accessories. They actually have random results so there will be an aspect of trying to craft the ideal weapon by trying to craft over and over again to get your ideal weapon in place."

Of course without knowing the specifics I guess those random elements may be as inconsequential as Berseria's random weapon skills, so I guess it isn't that bad.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
This game looks incredible. I've never played a Tales game before and Arise might have hooked me with just its image quality. Clearly a much higher budget has gone into this game and that move might pay off big time.

...and I don't get this box art thing. Both covers look standard JRPG to me. Some of y'all are hilarious.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Im so excited!!! First tales game Ive ever been hyped for. Loved both Phantasia and symphonia but tales game since have never been able to grab me. Hopefully this one deliver

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
That cover is really nice. When was the last time tales even got coverage like this?

Never. Tales has always been one of those JRPG series that's under the radar. NAMCO's been doing a great job of making sure that Arise gets far more attention than any of the previous games. I think the simultaneous worldwide release helps as well.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the Japanese cover

Asia region as well.
bandainamcoent.asia

Bandai Namco Entertainment America – More fun for everyone!

YOUR GAMING WORLD. GET CONNECTED. Visit our web site to learn the latest news about your favorite games. Tekken, Dark Souls, Dragonball, Naruto, Pac-Man and much more. Sign Up today and join the next generation of entertainment.
Will this version play in American PS4s? Will it have English voice acting and text?

Also, will it be that much more pricey to buy with the extra shipping?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Will this version play in American PS4s? Will it have English voice acting and text?

Also, will it be that much more pricey to buy with the extra shipping?
Yes, yes.

Depends on where you buy it I guess. Play-Asia currently has free shipping until the end of this month that applies to pre-order stuff as well, but it's slow.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I remember the hype for Tales of Symphonia blew up after it made the cover of Nintendo Power.

I don't know if a gaming magazine will have the same impact in 2021, though.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Me before entering the thread: "Better be the good box art-"

Good on ya Game Informer!

seady

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 21, 2019
Tales is one of those Japanese series that feel like not quite up there in terms of popularity and not hitting the mainstream enough.

With enough promotion and budget/marketing, it could become the level of Yakuza or even Monster Hunter.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
How well are Tales' games on PC? I've been wanting to use my PC more and have been considering it over PS5 for this release.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How well are Tales' games on PC? I've been wanting to use my PC more and have been considering it over PS5 for this release.
really light to run. though this isn't comparable because it's a complete engine change, from their in-house engine to UE4. but UE4 is pretty scalable, so you'll probably be able to run it

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Tales is one of those Japanese series that feel like not quite up there in terms of popularity and not hitting the mainstream enough.

With enough promotion and budget/marketing, it could become the level of Yakuza or even Monster Hunter.
Yakuza is smaller than Tales I'm pretty sure.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
really light to run. though this isn't comparable because it's a complete engine change, from their in-house engine to UE4. but UE4 is pretty scalable, so you'll probably be able to run it
Any known issues with prior PC ports? I just don't want to have to troubleshoot day one or wait for patches.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any known issues with prior PC ports? I just don't want to have to troubleshoot day one or wait for patches.
Symphonia needed a good number of them. but again, that was a completely different engine and they since gotten better with support. you're just gonna have to wait and see

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Only the first two Zestiria and Symphonia had issues. Symphonia is capped to 30 and can't be uncapped. Zestiria was capped but can be unlocked. Berseria and Vesperia Definitive are both fine and the best way to play them.

In case you are ever wondering about how ports turned out just google the game name + pcgamingwiki. Bookmark the site too it's a must.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This cover is incredible. Why can't the game cover itself be that good?

Why is it that so often (in the west) game companies decide to purposefully put worse, less artistic compositions on the cover than what they could have? It's weird. Like there's no eye towards aesthetics.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
Symphonia needed a good number of them. but again, that was a completely different engine and they since gotten better with support. you're just gonna have to wait and see
Thanks.
Only the first two Zestiria and Symphonia had issues. Symphonia is capped to 30 and can't be uncapped. Zestiria was capped but can be unlocked. Berseria and Vesperia Definitive are both fine and the best way to play them.

In case you are ever wondering about how ports turned out just google the game name + pcgamingwiki. Bookmark the site too it's a must.
Thanks. Definitely will do that.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Am I blind? What's the difference between these two listings besides price? I thought all these games had English.

I'm wary of buying the 2nd link with the "preliminary picture" in case they switch it back to the American cover for no reason (even though it's cheaper).
One is Asia (R3) and another is japan (R2). I think it'll be similar to other asia english release where they have alternate cover with japanese language and english language printed disc.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One is Asia (R3) and another is japan (R2). I think it'll be similar to other asia english release where they have alternate cover with japanese language and english language printed disc.

Ok so it'll be okay to get the cheaper Japanese one, it'll auto run in English on US PS4s and will have that import cover at worst, and the reversible cover with both versions at best?

Thanks btw.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
As great as it looks, it would even look 100x better if they went all in with the cel shading like Vesperia, which was always praised for its visual style. I have no clue why Bamco abandoned it after one game, especially with how well received its aesthetic was.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Ok so it'll be okay to get the cheaper Japanese one, it'll auto run in English on US PS4s and will have that import cover at worst, and the reversible cover with both versions at best?

Thanks btw.
Reversible cover is usually for Asia english release (asia release usually has 2 versions --- chinese and english). Also you got it backward, your link shows asia release as the cheaper one.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

Monster Hunter? Lol not after world.
Tales could maybe join the success of Persona if the games hit hard and the word of mouth becomes as strong but I seriously doubt that any Tales for the foreseeable future(next 10 years) will hit 10+ million sales.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
First time I've been interested in a Tales game since the DS one.
Hope it's not full of fan-service and the story turns out good too - the gameplay videos I've watched so far looks promising.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Did this one not get any videos as other GI covers?
Is there an in-depth recap of the article?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
.....aw shit.. here we go... I'm starting to get hyped..

*Sigh*

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Tales of arise and judgment are my games for the end of the year, #hyped

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Bamco will carry on their proud tradtion of level up and gald DLC packs for Tales games.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
September is going to be a packed month for me. There's this, F.I.S.T and Kena all within 3 weeks.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reversible cover is usually for Asia english release (asia release usually has 2 versions --- chinese and english). Also you got it backward, your link shows asia release as the cheaper one.
Last question, will I be able to access the dlc? Cause the link has a general disclaimer about a correct regional account may be needed for online feature.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
This cover is incredible. Why can't the game cover itself be that good?

Why is it that so often (in the west) game companies decide to purposefully put worse, less artistic compositions on the cover than what they could have? It's weird. Like there's no eye towards aesthetics.

Not the first time localized Tales games have gone with "cool action vibes!!!" for their covers, sadly.

As great as it looks, it would even look 100x better if they went all in with the cel shading like Vesperia, which was always praised for its visual style. I have no clue why Bamco abandoned it after one game, especially with how well received its aesthetic was.

I don't have the article on me at the moment, but they cited proportional concerns in that the characters are percevied to be smaller/younger than they actually are. This was definitely a shortcoming for Symphonia -- sensible, given the burgeoning tech of cel-shading and all that -- but I also thought they had it down pat with Vesperia.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Last question, will I be able to access the dlc? Cause the link has a general disclaimer about a correct regional account may be needed for online feature.
Bamco usually region locked Tales DLC, so you gonna have to create asia PSN account (any Region 3 countries) to redeem them.