• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but first you need to actually convince Japanese companies to put their games on the Xbox platform. That has apparently been an insurmountable issue for about 20 years now.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
If I understand Game Pass correctly from the Capcom payment, Microsoft basically offers you free money that is equal to selling through x copies of certain games. I do think this could be a nice opportunity for some Japanese games to make the jump and port them over as it reduces the financial risk. People have stated again and again that they discover new games and genres through Game Pass. Why should it be different with Japanese games? Lowering the barrier helps, and it might create some new fans. It's especially a good idea for Game Pass for PC, as I have argued elsewhere. Get those Steam titles onto the PC Game Pass (maybe later if you don't want to cannibalize launch sales) and put Xbox Live and Achievement support in it. SEGA's Valkyria Chronicles 1 is the first example for that as it's not available on console, unfortunately that game is still without achievements though. If I was Falcom, I'd aim to try that for sure with an older Ys or Trails game together with my publishing partner. And I still think the Game Pass for PC would be the most reasonable way to perhaps get something like Yakuza to the Xbox ecosystem sooner.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder what JP studio they are looking to add to 1st Party. What type of games they will make.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 40 years old I'm very much aware of what style of games I don't enjoy anymore after 35 years of gaming.

Nier is the perfect example. Paid full price for it on Xbox just due to all the hype here and down the block. Played maybe an hour of it and it just wasn't for me. I rather see that for myself through game pass.
That experience isn't exclusive to Japanese games. I could understand if you were talking about a specific genre rather than a countries specific output as a whole.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I have never really fully played a dmc game before. I tried the dmc remake on game pass but never beat it. Holy moly DMCV is my goty

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
That experience isn't exclusive to Japanese games. I could understand if you were talking about a specific genre rather than a countries specific output as a whole.
Well doesn't the country influence the style?

If I were to ask you to tell me the difference in style of a Western RPG and a JRPG for example?

Like I'm not a fan of anime, I use to be when I was younger but now I'm not. So I don't gravitate towards those games with those art styles.

But because at one time I did enjoy those type of games..there is something deep down (also wtf ever happened to that? It's why I purchased a PS4) there is a part of me that will always make me curious and I've paid for those curiosities and I have ....outside of KH3, felt like I wasted my money.

With gamepass I can safely entertain the curiosities with out losing out on Money.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's a reasonable idea. The math is not as straightforward as it seems, but could be workable in the right situations.

hersheyfan

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
This is a great idea in theory.

However, Microsoft should only do it for games that they know they can (or at least have a reasonable expectation to) secure a same day release for the next installment. If you build up an appetite for Japanese games in your ecosystem, then fail to deliver on getting more of that same content to the new Japanese game loving userbase, you run the risk of driving them to other ecosystems where the content is available (not just PlayStation, necessarily - Steam too).

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Well doesn't the country influence the style?

If I were to ask you to tell me the difference in style of a Western RPG and a JRPG for example?

Like I'm not a fan of anime, I use to be when I was younger but now I'm not. So I don't gravitate towards those games with those art styles.

But because at one time I did enjoy those type of games..there is something deep down (also wtf ever happened to that? It's why I purchased a PS4) there is a part of me that will always make me curious and I've paid for those curiosities and I have ....outside of KH3, felt like I wasted my money.

With gamepass I can safely entertain the curiosities with out losing out on Money.

Sounds like you're burnt out on JRPGs, not 'Japanese games'.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Sounds like you're burnt out on JRPGs, not 'Japanese games'.
Idk...tried getting into the DMC games recently, I'll probably pick up 5 on Gamepass but I started playing 4 a few weeks back on there and it just wasn't for me. I think it's....a shift in FOMO in regards to the live service games I play. But I'm getting off track.

I'm not going to buy these games at full price, I will try them out on game pass and if one breaks through? I'll get the discount on the purchase or know to pick it up during one of many digital sales. Gamepass allows me to rent games again with out late fees, so I say bring over as many as they can. I may not play it immediately but I will eventually

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this will become an initiative for Scarlett, in addition to a massive increase in the types of game added to Game Pass in general.

Microsoft seem willing to go further in with Game Pass. GP for PC and Ultimate are good additions, and even Ultimate has some room to grow if the Gears 5 bonuses are any indication.

Capcom is a big supporter of GP, that should continue. Square Enix also uses Game Pass, but only the western branch. Games like Nier and the old Final Fantasy ports would fit well.

Bandai Namco, Sega, and others can benefit, I think. Coordinating for the launch of Scarlett would be a big plus.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I don't see how putting a few jp games on the service will do much to help the Xbox.

The brand itself has been toxic in Japan forever. Persona on gamepass won't change that, it needs a complete branding overhaul.

Outside of Japan, 99% of everyone with a serious interest in those games owns a playstation, since thats where those games have been since 1995.

A handful of late ports on Gamepass isn't going to make any difference at all to someone who NEEDS to play Persona 6 or whatever on launch day. Its a nice bonus to anyone who already has gamepass, but i can't see it as a selling point.

Xbox is absolutely dead in Japan and most of the people interested in those games in the US and Europe long since moved to (or never left) Playstation and Nintendo ecosystems. The exclusives they made for the 360 failed horribly. The idea that ports on gamepass would magically change things to the extent of bringing people from PS/Switch to Xbox is unrealistic to say the least. Microsoft can't just fund ports of every game, on top of paying for them to come on gamepass.

Ehhh. First, you have to get Japanese games on the platform. Then, you have to get the gamers that play those games interested in the platform. Then you have to get them to buy Xbox One. Then you have to get them to subscribe to game pass instead of more appealing options like buying physical games. Then you have to get them to stay there, instead of whatever the competition's offering. That's a lot of steps with high risk of failure.

I think it's clear these people still continue to think about Xbox as a Console and not an Agnostic Platform. If Microsoft can secure XCloud and Game Pass onto Nintendo Switch, they will have a massive opportunity to court Japanese Developers. Especially since Switch is very popular in Japan.

From the way things are going it's certainly becoming a possibility.

Consoles in general in Japan are a dying market.