Game Pass users: Do you buy games afterwards to support the devs?

• Yes !

Votes: 97 5.7%
  • No!

Votes: 612 36.3%
  • Wtf that's a waste of money!?

Votes: 758 44.9%
  • Only if it leaves the service

Votes: 220 13.0%

• Total voters

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I already payed to play them. If buy them if I want to keep playing them I suppose, or keep my sub?

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Ori and Cuphead so much I bought them on Switch to own. But on Xbox itself? Nope.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
I just wonder when people will address these things as far as the Devs being paid by Gamepass.

1. Do you purchase the game after you rented it from Redbox or GameFly the devs don't make any money at all from that

2. Do you buy all new games and none second hand because we all know the developers don't get any money from that.

people make these threads to drag subscriptions services but never address the Industries created that use the developers/publishers product but they don't see a dime off of those rented games or used games.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
The developers already got paid for being on the service, why would you pay again, it don't make sense.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The purpose of gamepass for me is to play games that I don't think are worth it day 1 such as pretty much all of MS's first party games this gen. It's such a great value but I won't be buying games that is available on the service

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
No. The payout for these games being on these services is reportedly very agreeable.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, but I could see myself buying a game like DMC5 if my first experience with it was through Game Pass.

To me, Game Pass is more useful to play games I'm not interested enough to buy, so the rental period tends to be more than enough. The games I love so much that I replay for years I usually get before they're added to any service like that.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I started playing Slay the Spire on PC Gamepass but ended up buying it for the Switch because it felt like a great game to play on the go.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Not to support, but maybe to get a better version of the game on Steam. I picked up the Humble Monthly for $9 to get a better copy of Slay the Spire after playing an hour on GP.

I could do with a Steam copy of Morta for instance, but I'm waiting on a bundle for that.

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao at this guilt-trip framing of the title. It's on gamepass. I'm supporting the devs by paying for a service they put their games on.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I'll certainly buy physical copies of anything that strikes a chord with me on Gamepass. Nothing to do with supporting the devs, I just like to be able to hold things that mean something to me. Same with Spotify; I don't even own a CD player anymore, but there's a few very select artists that I have to have on the shelf. I'm old and sentimental, I understand younger generations will think this is weird.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That would be overkill I mean if a game left that I still wanted to play I would but just for support nah

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't yet, but I can see myself buying Crusader Kings 3, I am assuming it will hit game pass like many other Paradox titles. Though that will be less to support the devs and more due to if the game lives up to CKII I can see myself playing it for years. Probably long after it leaves game pass. Not too mention all the future DLC.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You know now that I think about it, I have not. I guess that's because I'm still a member of Gamepass. Whenever I stop subscribing to game pass there may be a few games I buy first because I want to be able to still play them.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the game. If I really like it and want to own it, I buy it. Even first party games. I still buy every Forza and I preordered Ori.

Last edited:

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I bought Halo MCC on Steam despite having it on Game Pass because i want to have it on Steam and give extra support for bringing one of my favorite franchises to PC. Also thinking of doing the same with Gears 5 since Steam has it on sale now. Have you bought any games from Game Pass since subscribing?

You are supporting the developer on gamepass by downloading their game.

"Game Pass is an attractive proposition for publishers and developers because Microsoft pays out to developers each time a game is installed."

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd personally have to have several million dollars before spending extra to support devs even entered into my thought process.

unknown.png

^^^^^ they already got paid off gp

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, but I will admit at feeling guilty since I think I've spent less than $10 on multiple Gamepass $1 month deals so far.

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'd never buy it on XB/Win10 while it's still on Game Pass, closest I've done is buy a couple indies that didn't have achievements/cloud saves on W10 app but do on Steam and have that support. I'll probably eventually get some others on Steam just to have them there but in no rush at all for support.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I have. I don't plan on subscribing to game pass every month, and when I really like the game I dont have any problem with adding the game to my library outright.

On the other hand, Game pass has convinced me to not even bother with a few games, even if they're on sale, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I use Gamepass for two things. Xbox console exclusives that I won't buy, and also as a way to play a 3rd party game that I'm not sure I want to buy and if I like it I then buy it, but on my PS4.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
You removed the game from your acc permanently? I thought it wasn't possible

In the same support area as Refunds, you can find an option to have them remove the game entirely. I did it because I was legit spending way too much time playing it cause it was hitting my addiction-spot just right. I've since calmed down significantly, but it was getting to be a problem, in my eyes at least.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
No but I'm more inclined to buy DLC than I would be if I had bought the game outright.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I use Gamepass for two things. Xbox console exclusives that I won't buy, and also as a way to play a 3rd party game that I'm not sure I want to buy and if I like it I then buy it, but on my PS4.
Pretty much the same for me. It's great because I never really have to pay for Microsoft games anymore (except for a one time annual sub- which I got for super cheap the last 2 years anyway). Bigger 3rd party stuff that I'm really into I usually buy on PS4 (and typically the latest and greatest aren't on Game Pass anyway).

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hypothetically, sure. In practice, it hasn't happened yet.

If I'd played Nier Automata or Undertale on GamePass, I'd definitely have bought them after (I've double dipped console/PC on both).

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
I've bought some DLC while on the service and picked up a few others as they've left. But generally no.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Wat, no. They already received a check from Microsoft. If I want to continue playing it and it leaves the service or I unsubscribe then yeah, sure.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, that's what I'm paying for Game Pass for.

But I'm probably going to buy Slay the Spire at some point because it's hot fire and I don't expect to be subbed to Game Pass year round.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
No. I already played the game, why would i buy a copy? Kind of defeats the purpose of gamepass. I guess if the game has dlc i really want to play i'd buy that but the game? Nah

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
I bought MCC before gamepass so I bought Reach, but I definitely don't feel a responsibility to buy a game to support a dev after I play it on gamepass. If I want it and it is leaving maybe I will, I suppose in the exact same way I would if I rented a game and wanted to play it for longer but it was due back, or if I borrowed a game from a friend and he wanted it back even though I wanted to keep playing?

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Gamepass works exactly like a cable subscription does. There are AAA titles on there and a lot of indies. I'm not sure if it is a lump sum payment or a cost per download type situation that they are in but developers are absolutely getting paid.
I'm guessing it works similar to Kindle Unlimited. I work in the book publishing industry, and Amazon pays the authors of the books enrolled in Kindle Unlimited per pages read. That ensures that good books people read more get rewarded more than uninteresting books that the readers abandon after a few pages. It's possible that Microsoft uses a similar business model and pays the developers by hours played (or cost per download, which was a model Kindle Unlimited used before).

hersheyfan