Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nier Automata: Become as Gods.

Did not click at all. The gameplay was hot dookie as was the camera. Didn't even get to the point where I could save my progress. Turned it off and am not feeling like going back any time soon. Might be the fastest I have ever given up on a game ever.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Atomic Handball for C64. I don't remember why I bought it but I didn't expect it to be a crappier version of Breakout clones I played years earlier.

"You can either battle monsters for items/money or experience points but not both" has got to be one of the worst mechanics of any RPG. It does nothing but double the length of grinding. I don't know what they were thinking with that.
Every thing about that game's mechanics makes no sense. You can't manually target in battle. Using the run button on the overworld drains HP. Dragon Song does everything it can to punish the player for attempting to finish it in a timely manner. It feels like a practical joke in the office that accidentally got sold for human consumption.

Dragon Song was so bad that the only new releases the Lunar series can manage are ports of ports of Silver Star.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did you get out of Siwa? Not sure how you could say the missions were bland and generic if you didn't even play enough to get to them.
Because if it takes that long for the game to "get good", people might just play something else. Similarly I realized The Witcher 3 is my biggest gaming mistake 30 minutes in.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Dynasty Warriors 8XL. I loved the games on PS2 and it had been long enough that I wanted to give it a shot again, but after only a few minutes I realized that it's still not for me anymore.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Every thing about that game's mechanics makes no sense. You can't manually target in battle. Using the run button on the overworld drains HP. Dragon Song does everything it can to punish the player for attempting to finish it in a timely manner. It feels like a practical joke in the office that accidentally got sold for human consumption.

Dragon Song was so bad that the only new releases the Lunar series can manage are ports of ports of Silver Star.
Oh wow. I forgot about those things. Dang, the game is even worse than I remembered.

Azure Wanderer

Alt-Account
Jun 27, 2018
Just Cause 3 and Shadow of Mordor. Just minutes in you realize they're a waste of time if bad controls, generic mission design and overall dumb atmosphere.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
16118front-45349.jpg

The name was funny.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Bravely Second. It's just boring, nostalgia ridden, pointless grindy FF3 DS clone. Not much different from its prequel.

I ended up playing it for 70 hours, kinda like hate-play. I had to, there wasn't anything else to play on 3DS those days.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP: I've never had that happen to me. I pretty thoroughly research a game before I buy it. So worst case scenario, I don't like it as much as expected or hoped. But there's never instant regret because I know the basics of what I'm signing on for.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. I was sold on it being a good volleyball game, but was just left feeling like a creep. I probably played it twice before trading it in.

If you don't believe me, go back and read reviews for it, they were very positive.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
PROJECTO CROSSEZAN!!1 is so so goddamn mediocre

It took Fallout 4 to take X Zone's place as the most disappointing POS I ever played

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
hey I got one, VERY recent. Assassin's Creed Odyssey, got me HYPE. Bought this game the SECOND the steam sale was live to see what AC is like now...
header.jpg

I was OUT. 30 minutes and I was done. Refunded instantly
Clunky combat, bland generic missions... sorry not sorry.

In March I was heartbroken by this particular game. Didn't necessarily take me minutes, but 3 hours in and I knew I wouldn't play it again, it's so painfully average I regret spending $60 on it. It looked so good so I was surprised to find it this boring and... dunno, couldn't get into it
ni-no-kuni-ii-revenant-kingdom-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-23mar18

Should have stuck with Origins for another hour or so. The opening is confusing and bad but it gets significantly better.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I bought sim city 2000 instead of grandia for psx. I played for a few hours before realizing how big of a fool I was. Couldn't return it since it was open and had to save for a month longer to get Grandia. Sad part is back then there were no game stores in my area. I had to watch as the Walmart's stock dwindled every week until I had enough to snag one of the last copies.
If I hadn't, I prob wouldn't have been able to get it for years after.

I was big into rpgs at the time and had been hyped for grandia since it's a turn release, before I had a psx.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bayonetta.

I still stuck with it (for the combat), but from the very opening I could tell the plot, characters, overt sexualiation, voice acting, dialogue and overall direction would somewhat bug me. 10 minutes of what felt like zany ridiculous nonsense. The sexy nun, whiney annoying side character, splitting clothes and sexual weirdness, voyeuristic camera angles, repetition and randomness etc. I guess that kind of stuff, at least to that level, just isn't for me.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Recently, battle chasers. But that was entirely my fault. I didn't read up on the game and just bought it due to good word of mouth and a good deal. Played for 15 min and it's not for me. I wasn't expecting a turn based rpg

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic Forces. I bought it on PS4 so me and my friends can shit on it while in group chat but there's a ton of blocked cutscenes trom streaming/share play so all the cringy cutscenes we wanted to have fun with we couldn't do it became an instant waste of $20.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360) - I thought the graphics were mediocre and some of the voice-acting was iffy, but I kept playing and now it's one of my favorite all-time games.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Cartoon Network Battle Crashers.

"It's a cartoon network castel crashers clone, it's on for 4 bucks, can't be THAT BAD, can it?"

Yes it can.

It's specially offensive if you're into Steven Universe.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Observer. Cyberpunk horror? Sign me up! But those graphics, wtf, made me nauseous. I didn't make it an hour.

Apr 19, 2018
Thumper.

I'm usually quite good at rhythm games, but something's just not gelling with me here. I stopped after the end of the first level out of frustration.

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness. Oh my god that game was hot garbage. I tried so hard to slog through it hoping it would get better, but that time never came.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I regret every Call of Duty after modern warfare 2. I keep buying them and playing for like 3 days lol. The definition of insanity

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Aragami wasn't trying to be like Dishonored, rather something like Tenchu 4 and was decently successful at it. And yes it was made by a very small team, like less than ten people iirc. You're free to not enjoy it but its mechanics function well as designed so I wouldn't call it barely playable either. I really dunno why you expected anything like Dishonored, did you not watch any gameplay videos at all and just thought that if it has weird looking ninjas then it must play like Dishonored where you don't play a ninja but ninjas are stealthy and so is Corvo so they must play the same? All the gameplay videos show that it's a game of much more deliberate pacing if nothing else, closer to old school stealth games (again) like Tenchu or the earlier Splinter Cell games. It also launched at like $20 rather than the full price of an AAA game like Dishonored.

Last edited:

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I bought the double pack on PSN. A few minutes in I realized that these are not good games at all. Deleted them and I will never touch them again.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Fallout 4

Buggy, sloppy animation games get no pass from me

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
Shadows of Mordor, man I was not a fan of that game at all.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
In recent memory: Darkest Dungeon on Switch, I have it on PC and love it, but just a few minutes of the switch controls made me never want to go back.

The big one: Mass Effect Andromeda, I was never hyped for it, it always looked mediocre to me, but when the game first came out there was that small vocal crowd that cried "Hey it's not as bad as everyone says it is, it's actually really good!" ... 20 minutes in I hated myself for giving in, played for 8 more hours and my opinion only worsened.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really buy games unless I'm really confident it'll be good/if it's cheap, but I bought the Strider reboot at full price thinking it'll be fun and it's just not good.