MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
http://retroflag.com/GPi-CASE.html

JUNE 12th it will be on sale:
US Amazon
UK Amazon

EDIT: I received a RetrpF;ag GPi Case for review purposes. See my thoughts below on the case.

hLgmT3n.jpg

So I got the package today and it comes in this nice throwback Japanese box.
Inside this is what I was supplied with the unit, screws and screwdriver as well as the usb power cable if you do not want to use batteries. I think the retail version comes with a felt bag to protect the GameBoy.

D6Bwaum.jpg

The cartridge is the main way to install the device with the supplied screws, alas they are VERY fragile and one of my screw broke off. I was still able to install the pi zero but I wished they gave some spare screws. Other than the whole process was very easy and not needing to solder was amazing. The Pi makes contact with the pins on the board which allows it to send signals to the main board.

eSmELtt.jpg

GXUqJPZ.jpg

Installation was okay for me, but I think people just jumping into this without knowing about Pi's will struggle a bit. It would have been nice if the company had made a pre-installed bistro as it would save some headache but thier implementation is still pretty easy, you install retropie/recalbox as you normally do and you plug the SD card into your computer and download the setup scripts here: http://download.retroflag.com/ after that it should be working.

aZvo0BB.jpg

I would highly recommend enabling SSH and Wifi before using the scripts as it made the process a bit easier for me, one thing you might have to do is reset emulationstation config if you use a keyboard beforehand to do this. As after the install you will no longer be able to plug the SD card into a normal pi through HDMI unless you make changes to the config. Also by enabling Wifi beforehand it shows the case as a network device to install games.

2SUO6SE.jpg

GameBoy games worked great and shown in the correct aspect ratio.

TF2F2KB.jpg

and so did GBC games.

mRG4Hsf.jpg

SNES worked amazingly weel, will need to try more games out.

PR5400p.jpg

So did Megadrive.

qiv8klq.jpg

I did try N64 Mario but I was only getting around 10-15fps - this is more a fault of the pi zero not being powerful enough, but hopefully later revisions might allow us to play N64 games on this case.

kBMIWAP.jpg

Overall the game play experience is solid. the handheld is very reminiscent of what the original GameBoy was made from. the form factor is nice and pocket able and the buttons feel great. The two back buttons use some soft of micro-switches, these were okay but I would not expect to be using them for fighting games any time soon. The screen is GREAT, with a contrast wheel to control how bright the screen gets. the D-PAD felt good, not the same as the GameBoy original, felt more like the GBC variant. With the batteries you get about 3 hours of game time which fine enough but a rechargeable battery would have been nicer, they do give you a DC USB jack if you just want to run it from the wall or a power bank.

n4mHJUi.jpg

Here are my final thoughts

What's good:
  • Amazing LCD screen with brightness control
  • Great feeling buttons
  • Good sound quality with a 3.5mm jack.
  • Easy to install and get it running.
  • Very clever design of the cartridge case could mean we could have modules for different pi's
  • Very unmissable since it's running Linux.
  • Able to upgrade it in the future with new pi zero's
What needs to improve:
  • A breakout USB port would be good install games through USB
  • A pre-formatted SD card would help people who are new to raspberry pi a lot.
  • rechargeable battery with a micro-usb port or USB-C for charging.

Overall I am really pleased with this product. It has taken years for a product like this to come out for the Raspberry Pi at this price point and it is simply amazing for this price point. The build quality and feel is very authentic and one of the best GameBoy Pi cases I have ever seen.

VOctAoh.jpg

Last edited:

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
My only question is about battery life, though I wouldn't be surprised if you could by a rechargeable pack that could fit that.

This looks REALLY good.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
tempting, but I would think playing snes games on the Original Game Boy form factor would be odd. Seems like a GBA style design would be better.

jalkerway

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any shoulder buttons? I'm not seeing any.
I thought that too, but the back shot with the battery cover appears to have two hidden shoulder buttons just above it!
You can see the three raised bumps on both sides, on what appears to be cut out "floating" buttons.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Those shoulder buttons look...weird.

I'm sure they probably work fine for games that don't use them heavily.

I'd totally buy one.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Color me very interested. Never got a Pi setup before but this would be an insta buy

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ng_your_raspberry_pi_inside_this_awesome_case

It's a case for the Pi zero, that will allow you to transform the device into the original gameboy with a colour screen using batteries and has a 6 button layout. The Pi zero can emulate, GB, SNES, Genesis, Game Gear, GBA amd a few others , it can do PSX and N64 but it is very slow.

Pretty amazing, no release date or price, but it won't be that expensive compared to what RetroFlag have released so far.

gpi-case.original.jpg

img-9816.original.jpg

img-9814.original.jpg

img-9811.original.jpg

img-9818.original.jpg

That is just disgusting, sorry but no offence but the original gameboy design is just uncomfortable than compare to the GBA design.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
There are tons of these type of cases for the Pi or Pi Zero. I don't get what's so unique about this one.
I'd prefer one that looked like the GBA but with 4 face buttons.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
If these are affordable and require minimal amounts of construction I'd be down. I've wanted something in the form factor of a Gameboy Pocket that does decent emulation for a long time, but it generally requires more soldering and etc than I'm comfortable with at quite a high cost.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
This looks like a nice complete kit that I don't have to buy off of china ebay and solder together. Surprised it took this long.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've owned a Zero for ages and not done anything with it (I panic bought it when I saw one for ÂŁ4 and they were sold out everywhere). I generally use the 3b+. This is made for me!

Assuming it comes with the screen and everything?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Christ I can't imagine how badly my hands would ache playing a gameboy now as opposed to 20 years ago. Cool idea but whew definitely not for me

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
Christ I can't imagine how badly my hands would ache playing a gameboy now as opposed to 20 years ago. Cool idea but whew definitely not for me
How bad can it be? I'm typing this on my phone with both hands as I would grab a classic Gameboy. Doesn't seem to be too bothersome. It would be even better, since the case seems wider like an OG GB so it should be more comfortable.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
If there's a way to upgrade it to have a rechargeable battery then this is an instant buy. I've got a ODROID GO, but the lack of X,Y, and shoulder buttons makes it less desirable than others.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Lon did a review too:

Worrying that both of them mention audio static, both through the in-built speaker and headphones. Otherwise it looks really nice.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Do the Raspberry Pi's come with a preinstalled BIOS to use it right out of the box or do you have to flash it onto it?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Ughhh I want it so bad but I can't drop $70+ on something like that.

Last edited:

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Very cool, I could see myself picking this up. The design of the Zero slotting in to the "cartridge" is genius.

How difficult is it to dump games from the GBC/GBA for use on this?

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Very cool, I could see myself picking this up. The design of the Zero slotting in to the "cartridge" is genius.

How difficult is it to dump games from the GBC/GBA for use on this?

If you have the pi zero w it is really easy as it shows as a network drive on your computer. You just have to drag and drop and restart the system.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
i still think the case for Regular GBA would be more comfortable then that, but i i guess they used GB because of the thickness of the shell.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
damn that's an excellent price, especially considering I have a spare pi zero still in its packaging lol. Getting this asap once it's available to order to Canada.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do these cases normally sell out fast? Not bought one of these before and you look active in the Pi community.

Thanks in advance!

They will probably sell out fast but they will but there other products where the same but where back in stock after a few weeks.