• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit. I've got a ZeroW sitting around with RetroPie already loaded onto it. I need to get this asap.

I don't see this available for preorder on their Amazon store. Are they just selling it cold on Sunday?

May 30, 2018
any solutions or comments from the seller on the audio static issue? i wonder if it's worth waiting for a revision that fixes those problems.

blizzink

Oct 27, 2017
I love this. I love this so much.

I just hope the battery cover release doesn't snap like my OG did back in the day.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
$70 for just the case?

I mean it's not high price but cheap Chinese emulation machines are $30-$40 for the whole shebang preassembled.

Very glad to see it's a solderless solution, and it seems like you don't have to muck about with button placement and screen handling, those are always the things that keep me away from these DIY kits. My HS shop teacher criticized my soldering constantly and it did not hold up over time - never again.

Last edited:

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, at 7:00 he says GBA is "barely functional". I was sold until then.

That's not a fault of the case itself, anyways. The good thing about raspberry boards is that they don't change too much the shape of the board in new, more powerful revisions (to ensure legacy support and retrocompatibility) so when/if a new Pi Zero comes that's more powerful, you should be able to use this case no problem.

But you should check videos of the Zero using retropie/recalbox/batocera to see how it performs.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The battery life is 3-4 hours which is okay I guess.

I just wished the power barrel connector was at the bottom

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This would be neat if it had an internal rechargeable battery pack. It looks really slick, not my choice of form factor but def something I would own just to own if I had the money. I wonder how to L+R buttons feel and if it's easy to hit them accidentally.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ugh, so awful for scaling Game Boy 160x144 just like the 3ds is. Whyyyyyyy?

This was my biggest concern, as this would primarily be a GameBoy emulation device for me. But at the resolution, I'll pass. Shame. :(

Because developing a a new 160x144 would cost thousands in manufacturing costs and would not make sense for such a niche product..

Hell eve GBC baclit screens mods have to retrofit GBA screen because the original resolution is so weird and thats the only screen they can find that is acceptable.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
But going for a 320 x 288 would've been an option, no? I admit I don't know much about screens, but I thought they were cut to size from a larger plate.

If you went down the route of cutting for that resolution you would need to find a distributor who had links to a manufacturer to do this on a large scale. This whole process isn't cheap and could easily cost $100k to develop. I don't think these clone companies hav that revenues to develop on authenticity.

DigitalTravis

Oct 28, 2017
I know 240p means more game support I just wish they opted for a ags101 or equivalent (like the freckle shack). 160p makes a bordered experience a lot better.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I have hacked my switch specifically for emulation but having something like this to take with me on the go feels alluring

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I can't find a four button GBA mod. That would be best imo.

[edit]
Nevermind. It looks like Retro Tech makes a free play with four face buttons.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
What's snes emiulation like on a Zero?

We use one at work in kiosk mode and it struggles with a web page.
Bad

The Zero is good for 8 bits machines, Some genesis and a few simple SNES games. But expect frameskips and average audio.

You can also emulate arcade games from the 80s about just fine and, surprisingly, NeoGeo emulation is actually rather robust (but not perfect, far from it)

Overall for about 100$ (Case+0W and an SDCard) you can't beat the price and find a better emulation portable. Unless you go with a Pi3B+ powered design but those are about 250$ usually

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bad

The Zero is good for 8 bits machines, Some genesis and a few simple SNES games. But expect frameskips and average audio.

You can also emulate arcade games from the 80s about just fine and, surprisingly, NeoGeo emulation is actually rather robust (but not perfect, far from it)

Overall for about 100$ (Case+0W and an SDCard) you can't beat the price and find a better emulation portable. Unless you go with a Pi3B+ powered design but those are about 250$ usually
Unless the ZeroW is faster than the stock Zero I've had no problem with SNES and GBA emulation with my setup.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
If you're looking at Chinese portables, look into the LDK. Fantastic machine. I own the LDK and the Bittboy. LDK wins in a landslide. There's a different firmware out for it that I use, though called RetroFW. $60 so a little more than the bittboy, but this can run PS1 games fairly well. You can overclock it too for better emulation.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
If you're looking at Chinese portables, look into the LDK. Fantastic machine. I own the LDK and the Bittboy. LDK wins in a landslide. There's a different firmware out for it that I use, though called RetroFW. $60 so a little more than the bittboy, but this can run PS1 games fairly well. You can overclock it too for better emulation.

Looks good. I'd totally jump on this if I hadn't bought a BittBoy earlier this year, and the rate of improvement of handheld emulation devices seems rapid right now.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
You having no problems doesn't mean it's good

Just that you have low standards
The only SNES and GBA games ive had issues with on a zero are anything with a lot of mode 7(Super Castlevania 4, stunt race fx, pilot wings) and the 3D GBA games... Which are bad.

So there's a handful of she's games that will run poorly, but the vast majority are fine, stuff like smrpg, Mario Kart, fzero, ff4/6 are all fine.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The only SNES and GBA games ive had issues with on a zero are anything with a lot of mode 7(Super Castlevania 4, stunt race fx, pilot wings) and the 3D GBA games... Which are bad.

So there's a handful of she's games that will run poorly, but the vast majority are fine, stuff like smrpg, Mario Kart, fzero, ff4/6 are all fine.
« Fine » as in « playable » is vastly different from good, and even moreso perfect.

I own a Zero, a 2B+, 3B and 3B+. None of them emulates the SNES perfectly. It goes from serviceable (the Zero) to passable (2) to not quite there yet but it's a clear improvement (the 3).

Mind you for 5$ the Zero does a prety amazing job all things considered

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
« Fine » as in « playable » is vastly different from good, and even moreso perfect.

I own a Zero, a 2B+, 3B and 3B+. None of them emulates the SNES perfectly. It goes from serviceable (the Zero) to passable (2) to not quite there yet but it's a clear improvement (the 3).

Mind you for 5$ the Zero does a prety amazing job all things considered
If you're expecting 1:1 or bsnes quality, you're out of your mind honestly. It's as good as SNES 9x on a home computer, minus a few select games. Does an actual SNES run it better, of course it does, just like every emulator.

Also fine and good are interchangeable, playing ff6 on my SNES and on my zero were nearly indistinguishable from one and other.