Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
X8c0HlD.png

Just saw this come through in an email from GameStop. Looks like it's an exclusive item. We've seen these knock-off Gamecube controllers in the past, but this looks like it includes the Pro Controller features like motion control, both shoulder bumpers, screen grab, etc. Here is the full features list:

GameCube controllers are considered the best way to play Super Smash Bros Ultimate since octagonal gated sticks, larger A button and muscle memory allow for more precise attacks. Mirrored on the original GameCube controller you know and love, this Bluetooth wireless version has been improved by making the shoulder buttons and d-pad larger plus added left shoulder and system buttons for compatibility with all Switch games*. Enjoy up to 30 hours of gameplay with new alkaline batteries (other variables affect play-time).

• Wireless freedom - PowerA Wireless controllers free you from being tethered to the console and provide a tangle free gaming experience. Our design is built for comfort during extended gaming sessions using high quality materials. Enjoy up to 30 hours of gameplay with new alkaline batteries (other variables affect play-time).
  • PowerA Quality Promise - At PowerA, our controllers are designed by passionate gamers. Our team has over two decades of experience in the gaming industry designing across all platforms. For the price, you'll be amazed at the features and quality built into this controller. Backed by a 2-year limited warranty.
  • Official Licensed Product - This PowerA Controller is officially licensed for Nintendo Switch. Always look for this seal when buying video game accessories as assurance that the product has gone thru Nintendo's rigorous testing and evaluation process. Products that do not carry this seal may not work at all with your Nintendo system or may have compatibility issues with certain games.
  • Gaming is better together - Nintendo Switch allows up to 8 controller connections in docked mode, or you can link up to 8 systems together to play in tabletop mode. Compared to Joy-Con controllers, wireless controllers offer improved accuracy and comfort plus larger buttons. Now that you have a more affordable wireless option available in a variety of colors and designs, pick up one or more, gather your friends, and share the fun.
  • Bluetooth Wireless freedom
  • Official licensed product with classic GameCube design
  • Motion controls included for intuitive game interactions
  • Switch System buttons (+, -, Home, Capture)
  • Left/Right shoulder buttons and triggers (L/R/ZL/ZR)
  • Octagonal gated analog left stick and C-stick
  • Larger 8-way plus-shaped D-pad
  • GameCube ABXY button layout
  • LED for power, player number and low battery warning
  • Includes two AA batteries for up to 30 hours of gameplay
  • 2-year limited warranty - Register at PowerA.com
* Can be used when Nintendo Switch is docked or undocked. Does not support HD rumble, IR, or Amiibo NFC

Anyone have experience with PowerA? Think this is worth getting? It'd be awesome to use this as a main controller without having to deal with an adapter!

Smash right if old.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I saw these features on Nintendo Life a while back. I feel like I want to get some and hopefully use them for potential GC emulation on Switch one day.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope the build quality is there. So often in third party Cube Controllers it's just not.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
If it feels good to use and isn't cheap, I might get one.

OP
OP
Uncleslappy

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Found some more images on Best Buy's page. Guess it's not GameStop exclusive...

6260945cv14d.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

6260945ld.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

6260945cv12d.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

Buttons look a little shitty. Especially the plus, minus and home buttons...dang...

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I watched a review, read a few more.

L and R buttons are present (doubling the Cube's lone ZR), as are the Switch's home and capture buttons.

The unit functions and registers as a standard Pro Controller.

The ZL and ZR are not analog. They do not depress, they just click.

Gold and Silver colors are exclusive to GameStop. The controllers are otherwise not exclusive (purple, white, black available at other retailers).

It runs on two AA batteries, included.

It does not sport rumble.

It does sport a gyrometer.

It retains the four LED's of the Wavebird showing which player you are.

Mortis

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up a purple one on Friday. The quality is surprisingly good for PowerA.

It feels fairly authentic, but there may be some finer differences that may turn some off.

-The texture is a bit smoother
-Face buttons feel like they have a bit more travel than the Official GCN controller.
-Requires AA batteries
-Triggers are digital

Overall, I am pretty impressed with it. I will have to wait until Smash to put it through its paces.

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up a purple one on Friday. The quality is surprisingly good for PowerA.

It feels fairly authentic, but there may be some finer differences that may turn some off.

-The texture is a bit smoother
-Face buttons feel like they have a bit more travel than the Official GCN controller.
-Requires AA batteries
-Triggers are digital

Overall, I am pretty impressed with it. I will have to wait until Smash to put it through its paces.

If I already own a wavebird and GCN adapter is it not worth getting one of these? Just stick with the original?

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Just ordered a purple one of these. I just couldn't get used to the pro controller for smash!

Anybody that has one and now Smash have any impressions??

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
As long as Smash continues the GC controller is never going to die is it? lol

These probably aren't on the level of wavebird quality right? Still pretty neat though.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Wow the small Dpad and crappy z button were two of my only problems with the otherwise fantastic gamecube controller.

A shame it's not got analogue shoulder buttons, but that's I guess more because they're not supported on Switch anyway.

I'd have wanted them to address the crappy c-stick too, but otherwise this looks great on paper.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I have the black wired one. Its solid. Been using it to play Ultimate for the past 2 weeks. It doesn't have rumble though. It has two top "purple" triggers and the usually L and R triggers. Oh and you can press in the left analog stick too.

The only drawback is at first you might accidentally be pressing the Home button cause its right above your fingers where you'd think the Start button should be. Also, the cord is a pretty decent length so you shouldn't need an extender unless your gaming area is larger than normal.

We all know Smash can be pretty violent on controllers but so far its been treating me well. Got mine from Target so I dunno what they mean by exclusive. Maybe its the wireless one thats exclusive

Last edited:

Furiousone

Oct 29, 2017
I have two of these, one purple, one gold. So far I feel that the experience with Smash is pretty authentic. Probably not perfect, but close and good enough for me! Recommended.

Souplex

Oct 27, 2017
MI
I've got a purple wireless one. Few thoughts

A little less comfortable to hold with the battery compartment in the back
The rubber on the sticks is very hard compared to conventional GC controllers
D-pad is miles better
All buttons feel fantastic, but would like the 4 center ones to be spaced out a bit more
Motion works perfectly in Mario Tennis
No connection issues whatsoever
Also, doesn't give you any battery indication in switch UI oddly

Overall, would highly recommend for price and convenience

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Nah, I stick with the new original SSB GC pad. It's incredible how robust they feel. The controller itself and specially the sticks. God it feels like I can push them around as hard as I want and they are solid as a rock.

The left stick also has such a strong resistance, unlike sticks normally have today, they definitely wont be able to replicate that, I guarantee you this.
Also the right stick has a nice hard rubber material specially on the stick itself and the rest still a little bit, on this third party controller that looks extremely glossy and cheap.

Canadiancrowe

Nov 4, 2017
Has anybody used this for games other than Smash? If so, how does it feel to use in games that require the use of the right stick?

The GC controller is my favourite controller, so I'd like to grab this over a Pro controller.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Nah, I stick with the new original SSB GC pad. It's incredible how robust they feel. The controller itself and specially the sticks. God it feels like I can push them around as hard as I want and they are solid as a rock.

The left stick also has such a strong resistance, unlike sticks normally have today, they definitely wont be able to replicate that, I guarantee you this.
Also the right stick has a nice hard rubber material specially on the stick itself and the rest still a little bit, on this third party controller that looks extremely glossy and cheap.
I just bought a GC adapter for the Switch, and went to storage to dust off my old original GameCube controller. Still works like a charm. I'm loving playing Ultimate with it!

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a purple wireless one. Few thoughts

A little less comfortable to hold with the battery compartment in the back
The rubber on the sticks is very hard compared to conventional GC controllers
D-pad is miles better
All buttons feel fantastic, but would like the 4 center ones to be spaced out a bit more
Motion works perfectly in Mario Tennis
No connection issues whatsoever
Also, doesn't give you any battery indication in switch UI oddly

Overall, would highly recommend for price and convenience

Thanks I just bought one. This was helpful. I'm not a diehard but I started playing Ultimate using handheld mode and holy shit I just can't get used to non-GameCube controls. Figured this wouldn't be bad for other games for multiplayer in the future too.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm considering picking this up because playing with a gamecube controller in Smash has actually been really great. I could dig a wireless solution + motion controls and other buttons.

Question for those that have it: what's the syncing process like? How does the Switch recognize it and can the controller wake the Switch from sleep?