• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
A few quotes

This announcement provided little fanfare on the announcement, especially for someone who has had a long and distinguished career at PlayStation and Sony. Layden himself hasn't tweeted anything on his own personal Twitter account as of publication. GameDaily reached out to Sony for comment, but didn't receive a response before publication.

In a follow up with Polygon, Sony said there was "no other information at this moment."
Layden's exit comes at a time of transitional upheaval, and not just with the next-gen PlayStation 5 looming. There's also the possibility of an internal power struggle, which appears to stem from a corporate restructure back in April 2018, which is when Sony Interactive Entertainment truly went global.

[...]

The biggest issue in merging SIEA, SIEE, and SIEJA is the cavernous difference in product marketplaces. Marketing a product in the North/South American markets is vastly different than doing so in Europe. And neither aligns with how sales work in Japan and Asia.. Suddenly, three teams were working on the same thing without much clarity in reporting structure. This has created chaos, as SIE adjusted to a global mindset. Additionally, Sony reorganization typically impacts senior vice president level and higher, with lower level employees facing a "rolling restructure" as higher-ups figure things out how to manage shifting teams on the fly.

Thoughts from a 3rd Party Developer on PS5 Transition
As the perceived power struggle between Ryan and Layden comes to a head, it's starting to affect the upcoming next-gen transition. An employee at a major third-party publisher with direct knowledge of the situation has told GameDaily the confusion resulting from the global reorganization has made the switch, already difficult as is, even more concerning.

Speaking under the condition of anonymity, GameDaily's source relayed what their company is facing.

"This is the least amount of clarity we've ever had on a new console this close to transition," the source said. "I believe that the [global restructuring] is exponentially exacerbating the already difficult process of transitioning to a new generation. And now we're getting nervous. Read: very nervous."

The third-party nervousness around the PS5's imminent launch isn't directly attributable to either leader, but there has been a fair amount of internal secrecy so that data and information isn't leaked before launch. Internal teams are slow to receive word about the new console, which means that third-party developers and publishers are being kept in the dark far more than in past cycles.

Article goes on to talk about the problems between Ryan and Layden. More at the link.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
might as well cancel the ps5 launch.

Last edited:

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
This article is a whole lot of speculation with very little sourcing to back it up. Feel sorry for Shawn though. He was doing a good job

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
maxresdefault-11.jpg

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just baseless speculation. It's mostly based on Shawn's and Ryan's interviews this and last year. Weak article to fuel the Ryan vs Shawn thingy. Shawn was responsible for Sony's 1st party output. Jim is the big boss of SIE.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I wonder why there is so much secrecy surrounding console launches more so than any other consumer devices.

Like keeping devs in the dark? Why? They are the ones that make the content that sells these consoles.

I'd imagine them knowing about what is in store would help that platform. Didn't Cerny consult devs and gather up info to form a consensus of what the PS4 should be? I do not get this approach all for the sake of what? Surprise? Anticipation?

Feb 26, 2018
As I said in another thread:

Really strange article. We already got clues from 3rd party devs that they know next gen specs and some rumors about dev kits. We even know that there are many next gen games already in development.
That analysis of Shawn and Jim stances on Cross-Play and Now is pretty bad too. We started getting full cross-play even in smaller games after Jim.

And that part about "possibility" of power struggle sounds like a pure speculation.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
interesting read for sure
his exit is definitely not normal. the way it was announced over a very impersonal random tweet, effective immediately with no heads up, with no successor in place, that doesn't usually happen with someone of that position.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I prefer Ryan vision than Layden vision for the future... Like Layden thought only expanding studios was enough for next-gen. And it is not. They need more studios to compete next-gen and buying Insomniac was a great move that can add 2 games on development for their portfolio.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
interesting read for sure
his exit is definitely not normal. the way it was announced over a very impersonal random tweet, effective immediately with no heads up, with no successor in place, that doesn't usually happen with someone of that position.
It does. Adam Boyes left and they didn't have a successor for him in place either. Happens all the time.

Feb 10, 2018
The actually article is mostly bad speculation anyway. And we don't even know what kind of 3rd part dev is saying that. I have a hard time believing Ubisoft, EA, and Activision devs don't have a clear idea on what PS5 is.

If they do, you would of thought we would of had at least 1 decent leak by now, the same applies to scarlett though.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Anything substantial here?

Nah, thought not. Just the expected clueless concern cycle before the new Sony console arrives.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If all of this is even remotely true and Playstation ends up in the hands of Jim Ryan than that is really terrible news. Jim Ryan has been a disaster and clearly does not "get it" when it comes to this Industry.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
...this seems pretty FUD-heavy. A little patience might go a long way toward getting an accurate view into what's happening inside Sony.

Jun 23, 2019
Lol this is like the textbook example of jumping to conclusions. Even if this had an iota of truth, y'all don't think we would have heard about this months ago?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna need some on the record statements, this reads like sensationalist clickbait

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
A lot of this reads like speculation that at points might be far fetched, but I dont think the basis s wrong either.
would love to see a more in depth article backed up by more sources.
the part about the third party developer is weird though, this gen Sony changed the ram of the PS4 in the last minutes without telling anyone, and this time devs have dev kits since April at least and somehow the situation is more uncertain than the past?

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I wonder why there is so much secrecy surrounding console launches more so than any other consumer devices.

Like keeping devs in the dark? Why? They are the ones that make the content that sells these consoles.

I'd imagine them knowing about what is in store would help that platform. Didn't Cerny consult devs and gather up info to form a consensus of what the PS4 should be? I do not get this approach all for the sake of what? Surprise? Anticipation?
1) Leaks abound
2) Overpromising and underdelivering on the dev side can be a nightmare, so it's best not to communicate on uncertainties. This inevitably slows communication dramatically.

source: worked on a launch window PS4/XB1 game, which was a fun thing most days and a nightmare on the others.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The anonymous dev is probably from a smaller pub/dev who has in the past had better treatment from Sony. Remember the WSJ article where they talked about concentrating on the big guys and the Sony exec's attitude was basically "The small guys will support PS5 anyway"?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what Shawn leaving means but I'm pretty sure the PS5 will launch just fine. So nothing to be worried about

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Sony's corporate side has been ass for a while. Yoshida needs to reign SIE in. No reason to announce this until you name a successor.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully we'll have better articles talking about this, that Shawn vs Jim speculation is as weak as it gets.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
As I said in the other thread, the narrative of Ryan and Layden at loggerheads isn't at all supported by the quotes used in the article. There's a suggestion of contradiction that isn't there at all.

The third party quote is interesting - but could also be meaningless depending on who said it.

I think there is a 'story' around Layden's departure, I think the manner of it invites speculation and investigation. But I don't find this wholly convincing.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
There's not going to be any official sources though.

I am saying even third party sources. To be clear I am talking about the supposed difference in opinion on cloud and cross play between the two. It just is pure speculation without any anonymous third party sources to back up.