• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deadasdisco

Jun 10, 2018
This truly sucks for Unity users out there, and existing developers who currently may have to halt projects because of this.

A change in Unity Technologies' terms of service has left Unity games created using Improbable's SpatialOS platform under threat.
According to a statement released by Improbable today, Unity changed its terms of service on December 4 2018, and clarified the change to Improbable yesterday.
As a result, Improbable has said, "all existing SpatialOS and Unity games, including production games and in-development games of all developers, are now in breach of Unity's license terms."
The new terms of service "specifically disallow services like Improbable's" to work with Unity, which was not the case in the previous iteration of the terms, and is still not the case with competing tech like Epic's Unreal Engine.

EDIT:
According to Improbable, this development arose from an "open commercial negotiation" with a goal of finding new ways for the two companies to work together

UPDATED - Unity CTO Response:
"We are preparing a blog post because there is a lot of mis-information but the short summary is that using Unity as a game developer or game studio in a generic cloud (GCP, AWS, Azure) or on your own servers is perfectly legal."

UPDATE 2: Improbable's updated blog post.
https://improbable.io/company/news/2019/01/10/an-update-on-todays-events

__
Read More: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...aims-improbable-has-breached-terms-of-service

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm.

I'm not familiar with SpatialOS, but by the new terms, you're not allowed to run the Unity Engine itself (as in their Editor/IDE) on a remote/cloud server in order to provide a service?

I presume that's what they mean by 'the Unity runtime' in the terms - if it means you can't run anything made with Unity on your own servers or cloud servers that would be completely ridiculous.

Last edited:

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
This sucks for devs using SpatialOS, but I can kinda see where Unity is coming from. As I read it, Improbable allowed multiple Unity users/projects under the same license.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Well as far as I see they just made unity integration on their own and sold it as a feature. It's really on them. They should have reached out and partnered with unity.

Last edited:

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
This is crazy... Is Unity planning on doing something similar in-house and don't want the competition? Or were SpatialOS out of line?

To just suddenly throw some devs under the bus like that. For games that are live even.

From other thread:

Games affected, based on checking their website:
  • Worlds Adrift
  • Scavengers
  • Mavericks: Proving Grounds
  • Vanishing Stars: AI at Scale
  • Seed
  • Lazarus

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
This is what I'm trying to wrap my head around. Is it entirely Unity to blame?

Define 'integration' though...

If they're running the Unity Editor in the provision of their service, then I understand Unity's concern.

If this is, however, a service that offers libraries for use with Unity and/or hosts unity-built games, then if Unity is trying to limit who can do that to pre-approved partners, then it seems like a big regression. Unity invited people to offer plugins, extensions etc without any explicit screening.

It's almost like they're treating 'the cloud' as a proprietary space that they can decide who you're allow to 'build' and run on, even though 'the cloud' is just another Windows or Linux environment or whatever.

What I'm saying here is only relevant if they're actually stopping people running Unity-built software off the cloud or remote servers. If it's a matter of just the Unity Editor, then I understand better where Unity would be coming from.

edit - I will say though, regardless of the context, withdrawing a license after a service has been operating for years, and retroactively applying those terms, is not nice at all. I think it would make me very wary of what else Unity might in the future do retroactively. And I love Unity, I love some of the new stuff they're doing in particular. But this is scary from that perspective alone.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I think this needs to gain more traction. My gf is working on one of the games impacted and they can't really do anything today.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
This sucks for devs using SpatialOS, but I can kinda see where Unity is coming from. As I read it, Improbable allowed multiple Unity users/projects under the same license.

If that's the case then I can understand Unity's position on this.

If lots of devs are using Unity's technologies through SpatialOS but all under one (SpatialOS) Unity license, then that's not really right.

Seems SpatialOS tried to play the game of fuzzy license terms and got caught out.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
I've been reading their webpage for ten minutes and still i'm unsure what SpatialOS is. Is it just a cloud service like AWS or Azure?

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Need an ELI5 to fully explain what SpatialOS does and who is "in the wrong" so to speak.

Deleted member 49831

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Need an ELI5 to fully explain what SpatialOS does and who is "in the wrong" so to speak.

Can't speak to the second part but it's a cloud platform that powers multiplayer games. Effectively allows for massive, persistent worlds with thousands of players playing simultaneously across the same server.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case then I can understand Unity's position on this.

If lots of devs are using Unity's technologies through SpatialOS but all under one (SpatialOS) Unity license, then that's not really right.

Seems SpatialOS tried to play the game of fuzzy license terms and got caught out.

Yeah, reading more on S.OS... I'm not entirely sure if my initial response was correct.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
This is incredibly irresponsible from Unity and speaks poorly to their viability as a platform going forwards.

It also demonstrates the inherent precariousness of putting yourself and your business in the hands of a company with total control over you and what you're allowed to do.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
It sounds like you can't use a cloud system to stream any unity code (including assets that have eg, scripts?) to a unity application. Not sure though.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really sucks Unity seemed to pull the rug out from under people. This is going to cost people real time and money they may not have accounted for. Sounds like a dick move to me.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Someone on twitter says that this page got updated today:

https://unity.com/solutions/real-time-multiplayer/game-server-hosting

i.e. Unity is launching its own hosted MP service.

So if the terms change is aimed at killing competitors to this service, it means you cannot roll your own MP server infrastructure anymore? You can't stream your games from your own servers if you wanted? What an absolute shit-show if that's the case.

Heartbreaking actually. I've been loving stuff like ECS/Burst and the job system. But if I couldn't run my game or its servers on my own machines, be it in the cloud or elsewhere, then I'll have to start looking again at UE4.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
That section 2.4 is straight bullshit.
(I don't care and am not qualified to say who is legally in the wrong, but IMHO the moral situation is clear)

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
That section 2.4 is straight bullshit.
(I don't care and am not qualified to say who is legally in the wrong, but IMHO the moral situation is clear)
Is it, though?

If this was Spatial exploiting their license to Unity, is it morally wrong to stop it? The agreement doesn't say you can't do it; it just says you need a license (you can't just piggyback off Spatial's license).

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Is it, though?

If this was Spatial exploiting their license to Unity, is it morally wrong to stop it? The agreement doesn't say you can't do it; it just says you need a license (you can't just piggyback off Spatial's license).
I'm talking specifically about this part:
Without limiting the foregoing, you may not use a managed service running on cloud infrastructure (a "Managed Service") or a specific integration of a binary add-on (for example, a plugin or SDK) or source code to be integrated in the Unity Software or Your Project Content incorporating the Unity Runtime (an "SDK Integration") to install or execute the Unity Runtime on the cloud or a remote server, unless such use of the Managed Service or SDK Integration has been specifically authorized by Unity.
That's incredibly far-reaching and restrictive. Unless I'm missing something, it e.g. means that you can't even run a multiplayer server for your game on a cloud infrastructure unless "specifically authorized".

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
Is it, though?

You are misunderstanding what SpatialOS is.

It basically allows game developers to use an existing engine as a dedicated server for multilayer games, handling load balancing and persistence across many machines.

People playing the game are still playing with a Unity license locally, the server just handles physics on separate instances of the runtime.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking specifically about this part: That's incredibly far-reaching and restrictive. Unless I'm missing something, it e.g. means that you can't even run a multiplayer server for your game on a cloud infrastructure unless "specifically authorized".

Yes, that is what it means. SpatialOS is a really sophisticated multiplayer server. That's it. (Awesome tech tho)

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking specifically about this part: That's incredibly far-reaching and restrictive. Unless I'm missing something, it e.g. means that you can't even run a multiplayer server for your game on a cloud infrastructure unless "specifically authorized".
Without knowing the specifics of their authorization, though, it may not be as far-reaching as it sounds.

I do agree that it seems unusual; I'm not sure what they're afraid of if each developer has an individual license to Unity (though since the other company has said they were negotiating, obviously it's a problem that Unity has communicated to them in advance).

You are misunderstanding what SpatialOS is.
I don't know what SpatialOS is, so I'm just spit-balling based on the limited information in this thread.

It basically allows game developers to use an existing engine as a dedicated server for multilayer games, handling load balancing and persistence across many machines.

People playing the game are still playing with a Unity license locally, the server just handles physics on separate instances of the runtime.
It's not an end-user license, it's a license for the developer who made the game.

Did they license the engine from Unity, or did they just give money to SpatialOS to use their tools (who provides Unity access)? If it's the latter, then I think Unity is fair to shut this down.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I do agree that it seems unusual; I'm not sure what they're afraid of if each developer has an individual license to Unity (though since the other company has said they were negotiating, obviously it's a problem that Unity has communicated to them in advance).
I'd say they are probably "afraid" of not getting a cut/separate fee from "authorized" cloud services. (Sorry for always assuming the worst in these cases, it's because that has good predictive value when dealing with capitalism)

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Some commentary from industry luminaries about how incredibly troubling and scummy this is:

More from Sweeny on his feed explaining that something like this could never happen with UE due to differences in how it's EULA works.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
Without knowing the specifics of their authorization, though, it may not be as far-reaching as it sounds.

I don't know what SpatialOS is, so I'm just spit-balling based on the limited information in this thread.

It's not an end-user license, it's a license for the developer who made the game.

Did they license the engine from Unity, or did they just give money to SpatialOS to use their tools (who provides Unity access)? If it's the latter, then I think Unity is fair to shut this down.

Well, if you want to develop your game you need a Unity license. Of course it's not the latter.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It's completely reasonable and fair for Unity devs to expect they'd be able to run instances of their game - be it client or server - on whatever hardware they wish. Obviously there are proprietary platforms, like the consoles, with separate licensing terms. But as far as Unity is concerned, it should place no restrictions beyond what is technically possible and impossible.

I.e. if I build my game for an open distribution platform like windows, I should be able to run instances of that build on any windows hardware, server or client, without having to defer to Unity.

Breaking that principle - retroactively! - would be an absolutely terrible move.

If it's the unity editor they're talking about, then that's fine... but 'everyone' seems to be saying this means your own game builds.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing says "continue to use our engine for future projects" like "btw your current projects are against TOS active immediately".

Oct 31, 2017
This is pretty crap. My current hobby stuff isn't affected, but this has me wondering how long it would take to move to another engine.
Fucking Unity.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Well, it's made The Guardian, so I suspect we'll see a sheepish climbdown (probably in the form of a 'clarification' of their TOS) from Unity by the end of the day.

Even with a climbdown, after this they have to take out their open-ended modification clause from the ToS, the one that allows them to make changes whenever they want.

The terms need to become fixed per version after this fiasco.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Even with a climbdown, after this they have to take out their open-ended modification clause from the ToS, the one that allows them to make changes whenever they want.

The terms need to become fixed per version after this fiasco.
Yeah, building anything of value on technology the license for which could actually be changed at any time affecting your product seems like a terrible idea.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So a forum post from Unity's CTO:

"We are preparing a blog post because there is a lot of mis-information but the short summary is that using Unity as a game developer or game studio in a generic cloud (GCP, AWS, Azure) or on your own servers is perfectly legal. "

I'm still not really totally happy with this, let alone with the idea that terms can change retroactively.

It still feels like Unity extending a qualified right to run instances of your own game in 'approved' contexts - and not in third party contexts that Unity decides is competing with them (like Improbable). That's not ownership of your own game.

And there are types of game - and service games - that one might make with Unity that, it seems to me, Unity could decide overnight are not what they had in mind in terms of hosting on their own servers. Or what if you become super successful and extend your network to partner games? Are you then a service Unity will withdraw permission from overnight?

We need the same simple absolute rights to distribute and run instances on open operating systems as we always assumed we had before. This feels too risky.

Yeah, building anything of value on technology the license for which could actually be changed at any time affecting your product seems like a terrible idea.

Yeah. I hadn't even thought about this possibility in a Unity context before. Now it's all I can think about today... I don't even have a product out right now, I can only imagine the anxiety for devs actually affected today. And judging by the CTO's comments, they are indeed out of luck because they're hosted on a non-generic (read: competing) service.

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Right, which is what SpatialOS is designed for. Heck, I work for a company that has used apps we build in Unity for research, running the apps on multiple cloud servers so we could get lots of data quickly. That is no longer allowed.

Edit: Unity's CTO may think differently, but their TOS wording does *not* allow using Unity in a generic cloud server or on your own server. He should get together with their legal team.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It sounds to me like this service was essentially using monetizing their own licenses to Unity? That's probably the big no-no here.

The licensing stuff is likely not in the spirit of what they actually want to enforce.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
I think they'll be clarifying and re-writing it a bit. I don't think this was a deliberate attempt to lock down a Unity-controlled gaming development and distribution ecosystem. That said, I do agree with the concerns about fluctuating EULA terms. The EULA terms that you signed when getting your Unity subscription and product should remain in place indefinitely and not be open for retro-active, unilateral changes. I'm not sure if such contract changes would even hold up in court, were any of this to be actually litigated.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds to me like this service was essentially using monetizing their own licenses to Unity? That's probably the big no-no here.

The licensing stuff is likely not in the spirit of what they actually want to enforce.

No...it's not about the editor license. The CTO's comment makes clear that they don't want people hosting their own game on services they don't approve of i.e. services that would compete directly with their new service. And are asserting control over what's acceptable in this regard or not.

I.e. Really, imo, you don't own your game.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
No...it's not about the editor license. The CTO's comment makes clear that they don't want people hosting their own game on services they don't approve of i.e. services that would compete directly with their new service. And are asserting control over what's acceptable in this regard or not.

I.e. Really, imo, you don't own your game.
Depends what he means with 'using Unity', as per the above quote. Does he mean running the editor in a cloud environment, or does he mean actual Unity-based games?