• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My six-year-old daughter and I love Disney, and I thought it might be fun to see what would happen if we jumped into Kingdom Hearts III. I watched a fun little video to regain an understanding of the series' basic setup, but my daughter has no clue what she's getting into. The results did not disappoint and are exactly what you would expect.

I recorded audio of our opening hour of play. Here's a rough transcript of what transpired...

Confusion Before the Game Begins
We didn't even make it into the game, and my daughter started asking tough questions about the characters who are featured on a piece of art. After commenting that Donald Duck looks like he just fell down a flight of stairs, my daughter spent a few seconds studying each of the non-Disney characters.

Daughter: "Why do all of the people with spiky hair look the same? Are they like My Little Pony characters that all look the same but have different hair colors?"

Me: "Uh... I have no idea what to tell you. Now that you mention it, the blonde kid in the middle and the other blonde kid on the bottom may be the same character. That's odd. I don't know. They all do look similar."

Daughter: "I wonder if they have cutie marks."

A Conversation With Hades
Needless to say, we were both confused by the opening moments of the game, which show two characters playing chess as other characters fly around and give us some form of a recap from what happened in their past. My daughter thankfully didn't ask me how the game of chess is played, but again commented that the two characters who were playing it looked the same. Confusion also came from figuring out what abilities and powers Sora would start the game with. She wanted to know why the "unicorn cat" in one of the pictures we had to interact with wasn't coming with us. I told her it was an image that represented the ability, but that didn't go over well. We eventually got to gameplay, and took turns on the sticks during the tutorial battles. We both enjoyed our time. She had no problem figuring out the basics of the hack-and-slash combat.

Our next stop was Olympus. It didn't take long for us to run into Hades.

Daughter: "Is he a bad guy?"

Me: "Yes. I think so."

Daughter: "Why are they standing there? Stop him! Should they get him and put him in jail?"

Me: "He doesn't seem to be doing anything evil."

Hades does something evil immediately after I say this. Sora, Donald, and Goofy are sent flying into the distance by some creatures or a spell or something.

Daughter: "Why didn't they stop him?"

Me: "I have no idea."

Daughter: "I would have hit him with my key, Dad."

Conclusion
I had a blast playing the opening hour of Kingdom Hearts III with my daughter. The backstory that they introduce early on is confusing, but once we landed in Olympus, the narrative became more about what was happening in the moment and we didn't have much trouble following it. The question that remained: Did my daughter have fun?

Me: "What did you think of that game?"

Daughter: "It's really fun. I like that Disney princesses will be in it."

Me: "What score would you give it?"

Daughter: [She puts on her deep-thinker face] "Probably 100."

Me: "Is that as high as your scale goes?"

Daughter: "Yes."

Me: "So you think it's one of the best games you've ever played."

Daughter: [nods]

Me: "Did you think any of it was confusing?"

Me: "How much of it didn't you understand?"

Daughter: "All of it."

Me: "Do you want to play it again?"

Daughter: "Tomorrow night!"

There's more in the article. Pretty funny read.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/01/30/a-six-year-olds-impressions-of-kingdom-hearts-iii

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

This. This is the Kingdom Hearts series in a nutshell lol! I love it!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Kind of anticlimactic to do a video about your Disney loving daughter playing but she doesn't know Hercules

Seems she'd get more out of the worlds she knows

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The absolute inability to tell a coherent story and the indistinguishable designs of Kingdom Hearts would have Walt's head rolling in his jar.

Confusion Again
We come across a woman trapped on a column.

Daughter: "She's in trouble. How did she get up there. Ladder?"

Me: "I don't see one."

Daughter: "Maybe she ran up it like you run up walls."

Me: "I don't think so."

Daughter: "But the poles are flashing like the walls! She can run up them."

Me: "Nope. The flashing may look the same, but it means I can spin on them like this." [Sora spins around pole]

Daughter: "She probably farted hard and flew up there then." [little chuckle]
I like the way this kid thinks

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The six-year-old daughter said:
Why do all of the people with spiky hair look the same? Are they like My Little Pony characters that all look the same but have different hair colors?

'Tis an insult to My Little Pony! An insult I say! Every My Little Pony may have 100% identical body shapes, but they make it work. Kingdom Hearts characters wish they could be as distinctive as the My Little Ponies.

ponycomparison.jpg

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
'Tis an insult to My Little Pony! An insult I say! Every My Little Pony may have 100% identical body shapes, but they make it work. Kingdom Hearts characters wish they could be as distinctive as the My Little Ponies.

ponycomparison.jpg
As someone who does not care about My Little Pony, those designs all scream individual personality that is clear right from looking at em. I mean they real broad short-hands, but they get the point across.

I couldn't tell you shit about a Sora, or an Aqua, or a Roxis, etc.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017

ponycomparison.jpg

although there's a lot of things weird about posting this, my favourite part is that the first two characters in this image have identical faces

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
applejack works on a farm so they gave her a hat

get it

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
guess i gotta learn you sommit then

all the ponies have basically the same body type, but there's three groups out of the main six characters

there the normal fucking horses, they are normal and lame and usually work on farms

then there's the pegasusus', they got wings and usually act like assholes and can control the weather like an xmen

and the unihorns, they are spellcaster type fashion nerds, they always complain and the DM fucking hates them

but if you become a princess and your mom buys you the right playset, you can become an allinonecorn, which has the horn, wings, and farm skills all in one

these all in one jerks could solve global warming in a second but they lazy

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
The absolute inability to tell a coherent story and the indistinguishable designs of Kingdom Hearts would have Walt's head rolling in his jar.

I like the way this kid thinks

Not sure what's indistinguishable about KH designs. Roxas/Ventus not withstanding to the casual observer.

Also for as 'confusing' as the KH story is, where I'm at now a handful of worlds in, they've actually made the story simple to follow. Obviously moreso if you have some familiarity with the concept and characters.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
I love the conclusion:

Me: "What score would you give it?"
Daughter: [She puts on her deep-thinker face] "Probably 100."
Me: "Is that as high as your scale goes?"
And with that she went upstairs to brush her teeth and get ready for bed. The next day would bring school and perhaps a return to Kingdom Hearts III, unless of course another game became the best thing ever to play with Dad.

This shows that even for younger kids who won't understand the story, they'll probably still get enough enjoyment out of seeing the Disney characters and gameplay.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Sora's adventures will lead him to MLP land. The narritive fits right? Plenty of darrrrrrrrrrkness to go around I'm sure.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
guess i gotta learn you sommit then

all the ponies have basically the same body type, but there's three groups out of the main six characters

there the normal fucking horses, they are normal and lame and usually work on farms

then there's the pegasusus', they got wings and usually act like assholes and can control the weather like an xmen

and the unihorns, they are spellcaster type fashion nerds, they always complain and the DM fucking hates them

but if you become a princess and your mom buys you the right playset, you can become an allinonecorn, which has the horn, wings, and farm skills all in one

these all in one jerks could solve global warming in a second but they lazy
Are you one of them Balonies?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Put that on the back of the box.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
What a fun idea for an article. Love it!
Kind of anticlimactic to do a video about your Disney loving daughter playing but she doesn't know Hercules

Seems she'd get more out of the worlds she knows
That classic Disney character, Hercules.

He's basically been on ice for what, 15 or 20 years? I don't think she's that much of a fan.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My 7 year old daughter is going through the game with me. She's familiar with some basic concepts as I replayed the first KH with her last year and she knows all the Disney properties. We're in the midst of Corona/Tangled right now and she's having a blast. She loved the Toy Story world and basically ignores all the Organization XIII/Xehanort stuff.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Cute, don't know anything about this game series but heard lots about it these past few days, seems like if kids like it & give it 100/100 then it's done it's Job.

Kids do say the funniest things though, I'm used to it from my Neiece & Nephew, it's always fun to see & hear their reactions on video games for the first time.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perfectly mirrors what my daughter's reaction to the game. She's confused but love it at the same time, my problem now is that I have to wait for her to move on with the story. I have collected all lucky emblems and treasure just waiting for her to arrive from school, it's probably her favorite game after minecraft