• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020

Via Source: Gameloft is working on a "highly ambitious" unannounced AAA open-world multiplayer PC/console game based on Unreal Engine, according to a recent job listing.
Gameloft, a video game publisher based in France, is one of the most recognised video game companies, with 18 development studios across the world and a focus on the mobile gaming industry. Found all the way back in 1999, the company has released some of the most renowned games, particularly for mobile devices, such as Asphalt 8: Airborne and N.O.V.A. Legacy. Not only this, but the company has also actively collaborated with other video game companies, like Ubisoft, to bring some of their noteworthy franchises, like Assassin's Creed, to mobile devices. Additionally, Gameloft is also associated with companies like The Walt Disney Company and Marvel Entertainment.

Based on the experience that Gameloft has, it's no secret that the company almost always has something under development. Earlier this month, the company released Disney Dreamlight Valley, what it calls a "hybrid between a life-sim and an adventure game," for the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC. While there aren't many games that the company has released for PC and console platforms, it seems like that's about to change soon, as Gameloft is currently working on its "highly ambitious" unannounced AAA open-world multiplayer PC/console game based on Unreal Engine.

Earlier today, we came across a recent job listing on the company's website for the Senior Game Designer position at its Bucharest studio in Romania; the description for which reads, "Gameloft is seeking a Game Designer with the expertise to make key contributions to a highly ambitious unannounced open world PC / console title." From this, it's clear that there is an unannounced open-world project for PC and console platforms currently under development by Gameloft and one that it's very ambitious about. Disney Dreamlight Valley received very positive reviews from both critics and players alike, so it seems like the company is focusing more on the PC and console gaming industry this time around.

Gameloft

Job listing for the Senior Game Designer position at Gameloft's Bucharest studio in Romania. | Source: SmartRecruiters

Furthermore, one of the responsibilities of the candidate mentions "designing and managing various game systems, game mechanics through the full cycle of production from concept to final stage in a multiplayer open world experience," which means that this unannounced project could possibly have a multiplayer feature to it as well, while also being an open-world experience.

Gameloft

Responsibilities for the Senior Game Designer position at Gameloft's Bucharest studio in Romania. | Source: SmartRecruiters

Lastly, if it wasn't clear already, this unannounced project will also be a AAA one, as one of the qualifications of the candidate mentions, "Passion for triple-A open world PC / console games." Additionally, it could possibly be based entirely on Unreal Engine (probably Unreal Engine 4), as another one of the qualifications of the candidate states, "Good knowledge of Unreal Engine 4 Blueprint system. Knowledge of other Unreal Engine subsystems is a plus (animation graphs, materials, AI, UMG, etc)." This will certainly be a significant change for Gameloft since the company has formerly developed almost all of its games entirely on an in-house game engine, which it doesn't reveal publicly. Even its most recently released game, Disney Dreamlight Valley, is based on Unity.

Gameloft

Qualifications for the Senior Game Designer position at Gameloft's Bucharest studio in Romania. | Source: SmartRecruiters

However, this isn't to say that the company has never used Unreal Engine before. In March 2011, Gameloft signed a long-term, multi-platform licensing agreement with Epic Games to develop four of its games using Unreal Engine 3, so it seems like the company is going back to the proprietary game engine from Epic Games for this unannounced project as well. Whether this results in an improvement of the company's releases or not, only time will tell.

Unfortunately, these are all the details we have on this "highly ambitious" unannounced AAA open-world multiplayer PC/console game based on Unreal Engine at the moment since the job listing for it was posted only recently, according to the same job listing on LinkedIn. With time, more information about this unannounced project will certainly be unveiled by the company itself. For now, however, the details are insufficient to conclude what this unannounced project could be, exactly.

Gameloft

Job listing for the Senior Game Designer position at Gameloft's Bucharest studio in Romania. | Source: LinkedIn

Needless to say, while Gameloft has made a name for itself in the mobile gaming industry, how the company performs against its competitors, like Electronic Arts and Konami Group Corporation, in the PC and console gaming industry is yet to be seen. Furthermore, Disney Dreamlight Valley is also still in its early access, with a free-to-play release of the game scheduled for 2023, so this unannounced project is still rather far away from completion anyway.

What do you think about this? Do tell us your opinions in the comments below!

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
I really miss the era when Gameloft made shameless non-f2p mobile ripoffs of console franchise. They were really great early showcases of how graphically impresssive iOS gaming could be, and the lack of dumb pay-to-win stuff meant they felt quite similar to console games structurally. Bring back Gangstar, NOVA, and Modern Combat!

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
I only have memories of their pre-iPhone licensed games that were basically game-and-watch tier shovelware with a 512kb download. Have they made anything in the meantime that suggests they could make a AAA game?

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I only have memories of their pre-iPhone licensed games that were basically game-and-watch tier shovelware with a 512kb download. Have they made anything in the meantime that suggests they could make a AAA game?

Whaat, those games were awesome. Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, God of War, Assassin's Creed... they all played the same but I loved them as a 12 years old lol.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Before Disney Dreamlight Valley, I didn't take them seriously because of all the mobile game clones. Now, they have proven they can make a great PC/console game.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
people in here accusing gameloft of copying games like 3/4 of all AAA releases aren't carbon copies of something else lol

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
Whaat, those games were awesome. Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, God of War, Assassin's Creed... they all played the same but I loved them as a 12 years old lol.

Were they good?? I have to admit, I only gave any of them about 30 seconds before switching off - maybe I didn't get them enough of a chance!

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Were they good?? I have to admit, I only gave any of them about 30 seconds before switching off - maybe I didn't get them enough of a chance!

I don't know if they were actually good (probably not), but they were entertaining enough for me as a kid. I think I played through all of them.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
I really miss the era when Gameloft made shameless non-f2p mobile ripoffs of console franchise. They were really great early showcases of how graphically impresssive iOS gaming could be, and the lack of dumb pay-to-win stuff meant they felt quite similar to console games structurally. Bring back Gangstar, NOVA, and Modern Combat!
It is amusing that at least for me the peak of mobile gaming was a series of shameless rip-offs of bigger budget console games. I actually played like 50 hours of Modern Combat 2 and NOVA multiplayer, basically as a way to keep playing MW2 and Halo 3 in bed lol.

OP
OP
SpartaNNNN

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd bet it's Gangstar: New York, which hasn't really been formally announced but there's a lot of material from various closed tests out there.

youtu.be

GANGSTAR NEW YORK Gameplay First Look - NEW Game by GAMELOFT

GANGSTAR NEW YORK Gameplay video on PC First Look Ultra Graphics. The download links are in the description. 🚩New Mobile Games for Android and iOS: http://b...
looks like a mobile game that was adapted to PC. could be that they're revamping it to suit the top end. ray tracing option is nice to see

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
I'd bet it's Gangstar: New York, which hasn't really been formally announced but there's a lot of material from various closed tests out there.

youtu.be

GANGSTAR NEW YORK Gameplay First Look - NEW Game by GAMELOFT

GANGSTAR NEW YORK Gameplay video on PC First Look Ultra Graphics. The download links are in the description. 🚩New Mobile Games for Android and iOS: http://b...

The game looks like a ps2 gta highly revamped with 360 era style graphics but with modern effects. It's like if it was developed in the last 3 generations. Animations are between ps2 and 360. It's curious. It could be a new visual style like pixel or voxel arts are…

OP
OP
SpartaNNNN

SpartaNNNN

Nov 12, 2020
The game looks like a ps2 gta highly revamped with 360 era style graphics but with modern effects. It's like if it was developed in the last 3 generations. Animations are between ps2 and 360. It's curious. It could be a new visual style like pixel or voxel arts are…
Definitely agree, i'd really like to play it

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that dream light is so popular. I'm not very far into it, but man it has a lot of a mobile game feel/trappings early on. Mainly presentation/lack of voice work/tutorials.