• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Has the Xbox App / Windows Store done any of this to you:

• Deleted a game but the space never freed up

Votes: 791 30.9%
  • Unable to uninstall a game at all

Votes: 516 20.1%
  • Unable to install a game at all

Votes: 563 22.0%
  • Had a game installed, but later it became unplayable and you can't reinstall

Votes: 515 20.1%
  • Other

Votes: 283 11.0%
  • Never had an issue with the Xbox App or Windows Store

Votes: 1,221 47.6%

• Total voters

cmcm750203

Banned
Dec 5, 2021
Is the delete/not releasing space thing still happening? I've been very selective with my downloads (small games mostly) so far.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Testing this Insider Flight Ring thing myself. I swear I opted out of it a while ago but it was enabled when I just checked. Took notes of the 3 version numbers displayed in the Xbox app.

Will periodically check to see if i'm ever updated out of insider.

Code:
Xbox Insider Ring (Win 10)

4.67.21001.0 (Gaming Services)
5.822.6271.0 (Xbox Game Bar)

Did you opt out of insider and are waiting to see if you get updated now?

If so I'm also curious about how this will work. My assumption is you will get an update when they push out a new version of the non insider build.

But until then you will sit with the beta installed even though you opted out if the insider program.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Finally happened to me. I have a couple hundred hours in Forza Horizon 5, and was met with an update prompt upon launching it today. After this showed no actual progress, I could no longer launch the game at all (even after multiple restarts), so I attempted to uninstall/reinstall, which has yielded a Forza install stuck at 0%, and the inability to install anything via the XBox app.

I feel like I'm losing my mind. Don't know what the hell to do.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Finally happened to me. I have a couple hundred hours in Forza Horizon 5, and was met with an update prompt upon launching it today. After this showed no actual progress, I could no longer launch the game at all (even after multiple restarts), so I attempted to uninstall/reinstall, which has yielded a Forza install stuck at 0%, and the inability to install anything via the XBox app.

Some folks have had success doing reset utilizing powershell script. See the thread for some examples (or search online). Don't do manual permission changes. Stupid question also, have you shut down the system cold (Shift Power to Power off)?

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
Umm... was there a way to see if its happened to me? Haven't really paid attention after the initial scare.

There's no way I'm installing anything but tiny indies from Gamepass going forward.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Earlier this year I had an episode where Halo Infinite crashed a couple times. And afterwards, none of the standard Windows applications would run (image-viewer, notepad, you name it). I thought my SSD got corrupted when I couldn't open files, but it worked with third-party apps.

The only way to fix it was to reinstall Windows. And then all the UWP games like Halo and Forza were still on my secondary and tertiary drive, but couldn't be accessed or deleted. So I had to move everything away and reformat both of the drives. Thank god they're all SSDs or it would have taken an eternity.

I'm now staying the hell away from PC Gamepass, and just buying the Xbox games I want on Steam.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Some folks have had success doing reset utilizing powershell script. See the thread for some examples (or search online). Don't do manual permission changes. Stupid question also, have you shut down the system cold (Shift Power to Power off)?

I'm not exactly sure as to which of the many things I attempted fixed it, but, to my considerable relief, something seems to have. I tried installing before bed, left it sitting at 0%, and it installed successfully overnight. Still needed to close and relaunch the Game Pass app to install the Hot Wheels expansion, but that went through as well. Makes me wonder if it was a issue with the servers or my ISP all along. For now, it's crisis averted.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017

I encountered this issue and it was solved by uninstalling / reinstalling Game Services (or whatever it's called) via PowerShell.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Well one of my PC gamepass installs seems to have fucked itself....

It's just a base framework laptop with windows version 10.0.19043. Gamepass version is 2207.1001.6.0 and gaming services is 4.67.21001.0.

Had about 6 small games installed, 5 out of 6 wont load, just say "see in store". I trien uninstalling vampire survivors, which says it's uninstalled but then it wont reinstall. I tried installing a new game, Hollowknight, and then just immediately errors out too.

I'm connected to the internet, have windows patches etc etc, and i've restarted the laptop several times (which normally fixes all the weird shit ive seen on my other gaming pc).

It seems properly fucked on this machine. Cannot believe MS, Xbox, and Philly S, have let this debacle go on for so long.

Edit - i thought i should be diligent so i used the powershell commands to uninstall and reinstall gaming services and now they work...so hoorah...i guess....but the spare bit of time i had to play a quick game has now been spent troubleshooting and being annoyed. Thanks MS!

Genuine thanks to the posters above who logged their solution 👍

Last edited:

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
My Sniper Elite 5 install folder was suddenly not recognized by the Xbox app and it tried to redownload the whole game. I tried launching the launcher and the game from the install folder, but it failed as some files were missing. Verifying and resetting the game also didn't work, and it insisted on redownloading all of the files.

So I moved the game to another drive in the hope that it could help the app recognize the game files again. After moving all files, the app redownloaded some files (maybe there's an update for the game prior to my issue?) and I can launch the game again!

Maybe if some of you had games that were suddenly not recognized by the app, you can try moving the game folder to another drive, and see if it helps the app recognize the game files again.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
My Sniper Elite 5 install folder was suddenly not recognized by the Xbox app and it tried to redownload the whole game. I tried launching the launcher and the game from the install folder, but it failed as some files were missing. Verifying and resetting the game also didn't work, and it insisted on redownloading all of the files.

So I moved the game to another drive in the hope that it could help the app recognize the game files again. After moving all files, the app redownloaded some files (maybe there's an update for the game prior to my issue?) and I can launch the game again!

Maybe if some of you had games that were suddenly not recognized by the app, you can try moving the game folder to another drive, and see if it helps the app recognize the game files again.
I had a similar problem with the Hitman trilogy
I moved the folder, I checked the files
no solution
I had to reinstall the game.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Did you opt out of insider and are waiting to see if you get updated now?

If so I'm also curious about how this will work. My assumption is you will get an update when they push out a new version of the non insider build.

But until then you will sit with the beta installed even though you opted out if the insider program.
Finally spotted an update, maybe still on the Insider Ring? The about page in the Xbox App still displays Insider on there.

Code:
2209.1000.38.0 (Internal)
5.68.8001.0 (Gaming Services)
5.822.7211.0 (Xbox Game Bar)

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
New post, new issue.

I just found out that I couldn't install some games on Game Pass, such as Forager, Frost Punk, and Coffee Talk. These games share a similarity, which is they don't require approval from administrators:

unknown.png

Compared to other games that require administrator approval:

unknown.png

It seems games that don't require administrator approval don't support installation to a specific folder, so they will be installed in the WindowsApps folder. However, previously I made some changes in the folder's system file owner, from TrustedInstaller to my account. I've reverted the change, so TrustedInstaller is the owner again. But I presume that the process of reverting back the owner to TrustedInstaller experienced some issues, which prevents the Xbox app from having administrator rights in making changes in the WindowsApps folder.

TL;DR, I made some changes to the WindowsApps folder's system file owner, and now I can't download games that can only be downloaded and installed in the folder. It seems my only resort is resetting or reinstalling windows. And I don't want to do that, at least not until the issue's getting more annoying. Any suggestion?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Welp, I'm getting an 0x800700b7 error and can't install games anymore, it get stuck at the end, after having downloaded the whole thing. Anyone that got this???

edit: it seems a Microsoft Store issue, since I can't even install general apps from there...

Last edited:

Pravus

Oct 28, 2017
Welp, I'm getting an 0x800700b7 error and can't install games anymore, it get stuck at the end, after having downloaded the whole thing. Anyone that got this???

edit: it seems a Microsoft Store issue, since I can't even install general apps from there...

Yeah I had a similar issue a few months ago. Ended up upgrading to Windows 11 purely to see if it would fix the issue, and luckily it did (because nothing else I tried worked). The only problem is I can't seem to get Flight Sim reinstalled due to some file conflict but other than that it's been fine. Very curious if purchasing the Steam version would result in the same problem.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Yeah I had a similar issue a few months ago. Ended up upgrading to Windows 11 purely to see if it would fix the issue, and luckily it did (because nothing else I tried worked). The only problem is I can't seem to get Flight Sim reinstalled due to some file conflict but other than that it's been fine. Very curious if purchasing the Steam version would result in the same problem.
I did a clean Windows install just few months ago, I don't want to do it again and surely I won't install Windows 11.

The only thing that could be related is that 5 days ago I got a "Task Host Window" error that was preventing the shutdown, and I had to click on shutdown anyway to turn off the PC.
Online I've read that's an error for a Windows Update not installing correctly but I don't see anything in the windows update tab.

Since then I've installed updates in MS Store without issues (see Forza Horizon 5 the day later and Sea of Thieves yesterday, or same for Prime Video app), but today I tried to install both GamePass games or apps (like iTunes) and it doesn't work, it gets downloaded but at the end it fails to finalize, so it's a Microsoft Store issue.

Maybe it fails only on new installation and not updates, I don't know... i tried with the "WSreset.exe" and nothing, don't know what to do :(

Pravus

Oct 28, 2017
I did a clean Windows install just few months ago, I don't want to do it again and surely I won't install Windows 11.

If you find a solution that doesn't involve an OS install, lemme know. I tried everything from registry edits to separate partitions on a different drive and was unsuccessful. It's a bummer but I don't mind Windows 11 fortunately lol.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else recently been having issues with games refusing to update? Games that was "outside" the default location, ones that seem to have the files in d: XboxGames instead of packed in the restricted access folder? First it was Escape Academy and now it's Naraka.

The error mentions it can't update in a folder that is being accessed or something, I can't see the message right now as I tried restarting the update and now it's just stuck "resuming". On the 18th Taiko no Tatsujin was updated and that is a "traditional" game pass game not in that folder.

Uninstalling seems to work fine and reclaims the lost space ok.

Always a problem with PC Game Pass. Why can't it just be normal?

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
This fucking app is pissing me off. I refuse to reinstall windows to fix this

all started bnecause it wouldn't install to an external ssd. Now I lost all my games and progress because of doing several "online" fixes

as a paying customer this is unacceptable

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
If you find a solution that doesn't involve an OS install, lemme know. I tried everything from registry edits to separate partitions on a different drive and was unsuccessful. It's a bummer but I don't mind Windows 11 fortunately lol.
I forgot to say that I've ended up formatting the whole PC and installing it again since there was no solution to that windows store error.
I did this on the firsts of September at this point and for now I didn't got it again, still W10 ofc.

So yeah, once you get that error you just have to nuke Windows :/

Kaper

Oct 26, 2017
I'm considering trying Game Pass on PC and read that you are now able to create custom install directories. Should this be avoided to limit potential bugs? Any tips/tricks to be aware of?

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Does this issue still happens in windows 11? I recently got a free game pass for PC but didn't use it immediately, part because i am busy but also cause I remembered this whole thing, don't want to risk it

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I have had previous problems, which were solved by editing files but generally been problem free for last year or so. My new rig should be up and running within the next month or so and I have made a decision of staying away from Game Pass, and every other launcher apart from Steam.

My main problem of Game Pass is the support is often lacking for PC games compared to Steam. Will still use the service on Xbox to play stuff I wouldn't of bought unless it was 50-75% off.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Got hit by the 0x80070005 error. I can't launch GP games anymore. Is there a solution ?
This wouldn't be a big problem if I hadn't a group play of Grounded planned for later today.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Got hit by the 0x80070005 error. I can't launch GP games anymore. Is there a solution ?
This wouldn't be a big problem if I hadn't a group play of Grounded planned for later today.

I have no solutions to the problem at hand, but if you can't get it fixed before you start today, if you've used the Gold to Game Pass conversion trick, you have Game Pass Ultimate which gives access to Xcloud.

So if you can't get it fixed quickly and still want to play, you could join through cloud streaming. That would be the Xbox version you'll be playing (joypad controls), but since it's play anywhere, you should be able to continue your saving.

Not a proper solution, I know, but it might do in a pinch.

Oct 25, 2017
Been able to stay away from the service/therefore the Xbox ecosystem for over a year now after really enjoying it on PC for a good while, but honestly I went probably almost a year at one point either not actively using it or having the issues that were talking about in here. I think it was one or two formats ago at this point I finally called it quits.

But I haven't bought anything on Steam or GOG, etc in its place. I should look at the Series X again. Nothing else really jumps out at me but I'm surprised at how much Xbox has captured hearts and minds regardless.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, my 0x80070005 error only happens when I install games on c:
Can't be some permission issues, it's a new ssd where I only used Win11

Fuck that noise. At least it made me realize I had some strange permission for unknown contact (!). Nuked that.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it had to happen. Between me being stubborn and not the best at tech, I horribly fucked my C: permissions and services to the point of having to repair… but even after that the 0x80070005 issue persists.
I'm of half a mind to waste several more hours moving files and simply formatting and doing a fresh install.

Did people try that ? Could the issue still endures ?

For ref it's in the last post but I can install game pass games on c: and d: but suddenly am only allowed to launch them on d:

Chalanix

Sep 6, 2022
Playing Deathloop on Game Pass and the performance was terrible. Reddit told me the solution was to turn off my internet while launching the game, which works but its crazy. I feel there is at least one weird thing with a lot of games in that app.

zeher

Mar 20, 2019
I know this thread probably gets this kind of question a lot so apologies in advance, but I wanted to see what the current status of this whole thing was. If I dedicate an ssd to gamepass installs and am ready and willing to wipe it if/when need be, am I safe to use PC game pass these days?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I've used GamePass with installations on 3 different SSDs. Haven't had issues yet, but that's my experience so far.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I know this thread probably gets this kind of question a lot so apologies in advance, but I wanted to see what the current status of this whole thing was. If I dedicate an ssd to gamepass installs and am ready and willing to wipe it if/when need be, am I safe to use PC game pass these days?
If Windows Store was as bad as in the early days, we'd have news articles popping up about it weekly. Can't remember the last time we had one.

"Permanently lost HDD/SSD space" is a serious issue that would provide really easy headlines for articles these days.

RubberStamp

Oct 27, 2017

I've had windows store and the game pass app behave properly for a few months now. Surprisingly, all my apps installed from the store update properly now as well. Very anecdotal but there seems to be good improvement here recently.

zeher

Mar 20, 2019
Are any of you on Windows 11? Does it make a difference? I'm still on 10 but would upgrade if it meant more stability for windows store stuff

RubberStamp

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on windows 11 and the store/xbox app work really well now as compared to a few months ago. Before most of my apps would get stuck on downloading updates, now that doesn't happen anymore.

I do have a windows 10 installation as well, but I don't use that for the xbox app. The windows store seems better there too though.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Going by this thread, the issues still occur, it just seems to be occurring a bit less (or at least reported here) than it used to.

EGM92

Nov 16, 2017
How do I delete the WindowsApps folder that Gamepass created in my E: game storage NVME? it's eating nearly 20GB of space and no longer have any gamepass games installed. I changed ownership of the folder, inherited Full Control permissions to my user account and am still unable to delete the folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
We want it disconnected from the Windows Store/Microsoft Store and have it be closer to Steam in robustness and overall functionality.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

LMAO they literally removed a bunch of features like the live tabs and the possibility to have a drop down menu to see some screens of the game, the install button and another buttons to add it to the "play later" list.

Now when you hover the mouse on the tile nothing happens and when you click on the game it just puts you on the game page and save you a click if you wanted to go there in the first place.

Loading the game page isn't any faster tho, and surely isn't faster then the old drop menu... if you wanted to just install or add it to the "play later" list, now is actually slower.

They just removed stuff that was interesting and needed a fix but in that state was redundant, so instead of fix and improve, the easiest way for them was to just remove it all.

On top of that the new formatting of the game pages is hiding most of the info you had on display like the price and all the icons like the add on "play later" list.
Now you only see the install button when using the stock window size of the app and that's it.
You have to enlarge the window size a lot to have those info back again (otherwise they are hide in some other drop down menu even if there is plenty of space on the side).

Gladly now the app remember the window app size, otherwise it would have been hell to resize the thing every time to just have a more comprensive app like it was before this update.

All of this after years of the app not being able to do such a simple thing like remember a resize... and the window position STILL get restored every single time you open it after being closed, and it sticks on the top left of the screen (so I have to put it on the center every time since it triggers me not being centered).
Even the Microsoft Store remember the size and position of the window after the app gets closed or after a PC restart (same for Windows Setting or folders).

Let's not forget that every time you wake up the app from the system tray icon, the Xbox App takes 4-5 seconds to boot up, just like opening it for the first time, so fast and smooth!

Then you have the "start on background" option that doesn't work by almost two years... and for enabling the Xbox App opening on startup, the App ask you to go into the App Settings of Windows to manually enable the App access at the startup, it literally opens a Windows Setting page to enable the access at the App startup... every program that I've ever used can enable that with a check-mark but the Xbox App made by Microsoft can't.

After that you can enable the "start on background" but yeah, don't bother, you will get that nice and huge black window with the Xbox logo on the center for 4-5 seconds at startup if you try to enable that.

I mean, I love PC Game Pass, it install the games and the games works overall, but don't praise the team for this buggy a** app please, and let's not talk about the Game Bar and/or Windows bugs... Microsoft software is some hot garbage.

Last edited:

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Forza Horizon 5 has stopped running since it got the DLSS update.

Soon as the logos are shown the game closes back to GP PC is there anything I can do?

I've already uninstalled and re-installed it and same thing :-(

TrickHyper

May 22, 2022
I am not able to select a drive to install games to, when I go to settings it doesn't show any drives including my internal hard drive and nothing has seemed to work so far. anyone got any advice how to fix this

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Forza Horizon 5 has stopped running since it got the DLSS update.

Soon as the logos are shown the game closes back to GP PC is there anything I can do?

I've already uninstalled and re-installed it and same thing :-(
Oh wow, the old Forza crash bug is back, I had it once on FH3 and on FH4, both times I had to format the PC tp make them works again... good luck finding a solution for that even if I doubt you will :'(

Let me know if you find something to fix it tho.