Gameplay and strucure wise, FF17 should be?

• An iterative sequel that builds upon one of the past FFs

Votes: 395 34.3%
  • A completely new thing like XV, 7R and XVI have been

Votes: 758 65.7%

• Total voters

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The title says it all. This has been a debate for quite sometime now, especially after XVI's release, so I thought why not just have a thread dedicated to the subject.

As I've said in previous FF related threads and discussions, I think the FF reinventing itself everytime is hurting both its potential as a series in terms of what they can do gameplay and content wise as well as making it less appealing to the mainstream audience. A problem that FF as a series is facing right now, that a lot of series aren't struggling with, is that a new mainline FF doesn't really mean much on its own. When it comes to gameplay and overall structure, you have no idea how a new mainline game will be until the devs have explicitly shown and explained what the game is and how it will be played.

Compare that to bigger and more successful series like God of War or Monster Hunter or Resident Evil, etc. If Capcom confirms MH6/World 2, you'll have pretty good idea of what type of game you are getting on a core level before they even show you anything. Naturally it's easier for that series to attract more of the mainstream audience, than FF which keeps reinventing itself and people don't know how the next one will be.

Even putting the growth of the IP aside, I think building and iterating on a core idea through different entries just gives SE more opportunity to fine tune the game and its system and overtime make a more robust game. Many BG3 threads have seen FF discussions as well, and I'm gonna bring up BG3 here too, but not because of its turn based nature (that's a different discussion). BG3 is something SE should look at (imo) so they can see the benefits of iterating on core ideas and improving and adding to them. BG3 wouldn't have been the game it is today without Divinity Original Sin 2 and in turn that game would've been what it was if it wasn't for Original Sin 1. BG3's incredible scale and impressive systems are a reality today because Larian kept building upon their past works. I used BG3 as an example because its most recent, but you can see that tangible improvement and expansion in a lot of franchises that do iterative sequels.

Anyway, I've already talked too much and I know the vast majority of Era will just ignore all of this answer based on the title and the poll. So, have at it.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
It should be a multiversal sequel to X and VII/R using 7R combat (but more seriously, I think 7R is a nice medium between action and RPG combat that people would be happy with calling "Final Fantasy combat" if they wanted to stop changing things around every entry)

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
ff17 should be an arena shooter with no single player and a battle pass every week that costs $89 with cross over characters from previous final fantasy titles added every 8 years to keep people hooked

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see the problem with each game doing its own thing. The gameplay should just be whatever the devs want it to be, whether that means an iteration on what's been done before or something new, or something in-between. Ultimately, I just want a good game, whatever genre or style that means.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't know the right way forward for FF. A direct FFXVI iterative sequel isn't going to attract anybody new.

They need to grow the franchise, and I'm not sure how they can short of making the most confident RPG they possibly can and drawing back in all the RPG fans they lost in their attempt to turn the series into DMC.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
I want an open world like XV. Combat system, I'd love something along the lines of Kingdom Hearts. I guess that'd be iterative?

Nothing like XVI, though.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
This is a weird question because you can draw a pretty straightforward line from turnbased -> ATB -> FF12 gambits -> FF13 protagonist only control -> FF15 more action -> FF16 full action.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It should be 2D fighting game full of frame perfect links and $20 DLC costumes just to fuck with people.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Just needs a chocobo, moggle and Cid.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
We've never had an iterative story mainline Final Fantasy.

The closest we've had is XII exists in the world of Ivalice, and X and VII are thousands of years apart from one and other

I'd love to see a new Ivalice world game

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I loved the combat in FF16 so I'd be smitten if they take that and just build upon it. Give us some more RPG elements and gear along with mini-games of sorts to help break up the flow.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
An iterative sequel building up on FF16. They need to get some momentum rolling again, another 7 year gap would be too much.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
honestly why care about mainstream audience or how much it selling? are we playing games or are we selling them??

FF reinventing itself every time is one of its strongest characteristics and allows each game to be far more than it could if it were just iteration over iteration, this is how we get games like 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, all that jazz, each of them a unique thing that has its own value and will never be replaced by any following entry

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
FFXVII should either do its own thing, or further improve upon what FF7R got cooking

Either way just make sure it has a playable party

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
I would rather they move on to a new game, for me it is one of the defining characteristics of the series. Not to mention, last time they did it with 13-2 and Lightning returns I think it was detrimental to the series, compounded by 15's long dev time.

Also, not sure I would label 7R as a "completely new thing".

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I hope it's a management sim

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They should go full on hack and slash but with party members too.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
honestly why care about mainstream audience or how much it selling? are we playing games or are we selling them??
That's why the second half of my post is about the actual games themselves and how they could benefit from a more iterative approach and SE building upon the systems they've already made instead of making everything from scratch with each entry.

Jun 9, 2023
FFXVII should either do its own thing, or further improve upon what FF7R got cooking

Either way just make sure it has a playable party

7R has my favorite battle system of all time for an RPG. Super flexible and strategic in every battle, fluid and fun. I wish every RPG just used that system from now on. I'm not even a big fan of remake but playing it was like a dream RPG system for me.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
I just hope it has Nomura character designs and a main character named after weather.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I personally absolutely loathe VIIR's combat mechanics, as they inherit all of the weaknesses of action games and turn-based games and literally zero of either format's strengths. The action is shitty and imprecise, and the turn-based mechanics only hold the player back and enemies don't follow any of the same rules as the player does. It's literally the worst of both worlds.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
yoshida finally gets to fulfill his dream and FFXVII is a visual novel

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
No idea, I'd buy it either way. Just, once again, I hope for proper exploration and sidequests. (and will once again be disappointed)

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
Right, which begs the question of "why would they start working on XVII, as a follow-up to VIIR, when there are two more FFVIIR games that still need to come out?"
because the title is literally X VII their two most popular FF's ever and theyve been making murmurs about an X-3 and we know the two games have a connection loosely or otherwise. It depends who's making it really, will CBU3 be given it or someone else (KH team or the Remake team once they finish up VIIR series, or will they go buckwild and let Taro make a horny FF with his own team)

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
XVII should be more like XV, with XVI's combat as a base but XV's movement abilities and party control. Oh also lose the XIV art style. Go back to Nomura.