• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...4-bosses-will-feature-some-that-are-optional/
https://gamerant.com/god-of-war-boss-fights-optional/
While speaking during an interview with The Game Informer Show, God of War director Cory Barlog recently explained that players will either have the choice to take on some of the game's big brutes and tough bosses head on, or avoid them in favor of sticking to the mission at hand. For those unaware, this change marks the first instance in the action-adventure franchise featuring boss fights that are actually optional.

God of War to have optional bossfights. Wording is vague so we don't know how it works yet.

Interesting...
searched, didn't find anything, so slay me if old

exact quote
This article is adding language that Cory never stated. This is literally how it went

GI: Are there optional bosses in the game?
Cory: Yes.

That was the end of it. He didn't suggest that there would be storyline bosses that you could skip as this article is implying.

Last edited:

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm that is not what he said someone ask a question he said their are in fact optional bosses in the game.

Thats all he said.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I went ahead and changed the thread title

First paragraph of your linked article says this

Now, it looks like the action-adventure epic is going to be different from its predecessors in yet another way, as it appears as if some boss fights will be optional.

Your previous title made it sound like all boss fights were optional :P

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao what...

Someone asked if there will be optional bosses and Cory said yes there will be.

Your title makes it seem like all the bosses are optional. Smh you couldn't copy the title in the two articles you posted? Just trying to get a raise out of people and based on some of the comments I can tell they've only read your title and are posting.

Edit - MOD changed the title. Thank you.

OP
OP
Noroi_Kisaragi
Oct 27, 2017
I went ahead and changed the thread title

First paragraph of your linked article says this

Your previous title made it sound like all boss fights were optional :P

thanks for fixing the title.
i'm really confused as to what the dev means by "avoiding" the fight. is this a case of a secret enemy hidden in some chapter, or are we given the option to avoid conflict with plot-centric baddies?

What we know about god of war right now is the son has a moral conflict over actually killing things, so an option to avoid fighting altogether seems like it would be up his alley. Still, the wording is vague and inconclusive, so I removed that aspect from the OP post.

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, there are optional bosses hidden between exploration. You are not going to be able to ignore bosses. Think of it like Demon's Souls.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not on board with this. It's an action title boss fights should be required.

This article is adding language that Cory never stated. This is literally how it went

That was the end of it. He didn't suggest that there would be storyline bosses that you could skip as this article is implying.

Oct 27, 2017

This.

Some read way too much into such short statements. In this case, as short as it can be as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to make sure I take my sweet ass time with this game. I want to fight all the bosses and explore everything.

Brunobi

Animation Director, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Jan 4, 2018

lando-and-co-pilot.gif

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not seeing how people are being confused by this. There will be both required and optional boss fights

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Uh, not even close to what he said. In fact the interviewer asked if there's optional bosses, and all Cory said is "Yes".

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I'm still very interested in GOW but I find it peculiar the changes they are going for. Still going to rent it day 1 and skip reviews..

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
thanks for fixing the title.
i'm really confused as to what the dev means by "avoiding" the fight. is this a case of a secret enemy hidden in some chapter, or are we given the option to avoid conflict with plot-centric baddies?

What we know about god of war right now is the son has a moral conflict over actually killing things, so an option to avoid fighting altogether seems like it would be up his alley. Still, the wording is vague and inconclusive, so I removed that aspect from the OP post.

Its not that you will avoid fighting. There are areas that are completely optional, that you will only find through exploring, some will have bosses in them.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
poor cory xD when he says something its either getting misinterpreted or people don't get his jokes

boats, bosses, the atreus statement (ok that wasn't from cory afaik but from santa monica)

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
This makes me wonder if there will be story implications for choosing to fight certain bosses. I'm probably reading too much into it, but with how different this game seems from the previous ones, especially in story and tone, I could see them trying some different things this time around. At least I'd like to see it.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Lol, this should really be added to the OP.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

It's a single player game so I don't see how you could possibly care whether someone else skips a boss.

If it's because you don't want to be able to miss a boss, then that's understandable, but that's not what your comments sound like.

Ahah why? What if someone finds it too hard? Why does that matter to you?

I take issue with wasted content in an action game. The point is fighting why skip a fight? If you skip bosses the ending isn't earned, your skill is lesser and the experience as a whole is ruined. If you're gonna put a boss in a game they need to be fought if only to make sure you're getting better at the game. Optional sounds like wasted content. Either it needs to be done and is part of the experience or it doesn't. I don't believe in optional.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's cool, it indicates that exploration might reward you with finding these bosses or even more.

Oct 27, 2017
I take issue with wasted content in an action game. The point is fighting why skip a fight? If you skip bosses the ending isn't earned, your skill is lesser and the experience as a whole is ruined. If you're gonna put a boss in a game they need to be fought if only to make sure you're getting better at the game. Optional sounds like wasted content. Either it needs to be done and is part of the experience or it doesn't. I don't believe in optional.
Are optional bosses in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls "wasted content" then?

Do you even know how the game is structured?

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. They are wasted content. Game is about fighting bosses yet you made bosses people may not even see. It's a waste.
So... would you consider all the quests that a game like Fallout 3 has as wasted? That game is all about its side quests and a lot of those could be skipped.