• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

HIGHLIGHTS

• Nintendo's recent patent for a dual-screen, detachable device has raised speculation about the company's future plans, especially with the upcoming Switch 2.
  • The patent shows a device that resembles a 3DS but can be split in half for wireless gaming between two players. It also features a touchscreen on the outside for interaction even when closed.
  • While the patent doesn't guarantee a consumer product, if it does come to fruition, it could potentially bring DS games to the Nintendo Switch Online library and maintain the hybrid nature of the Switch.

nintendo-3ds-like-patent-closed.jpg

nintendo-3ds-like-patent-open.jpg

The recent Nintendo patent looks an awful lot like a 3DS, but the device can be split in half. The two separate halves can communicate with each other wirelessly, allowing two gamers to play together on the same device. While connected, the two halves play together like a DS or 3DS. Interestingly enough, there is also a touchscreen on the outside of the console, which allows gamers to interact with the handheld even when it's closed.

If the device does see the light of day, it could serve to bring a ton of essential DS games to the Nintendo Switch Online library. Again, Nintendo patents aren't guarantees that these products are coming to store shelves. Big companies file patents all the time to protect their potential products. It's certainly something Nintendo is working on in some capacity, but it remains to be seen if it will ever materialize as a tangible item available for purchase.

Also interesting to note, the device appears to be a handheld-only device. With the Switch, Nintendo has combined both its handheld and home console markets given the hardware's hybrid nature. One of the few things fans know about the successor is that Nintendo is planning to use Nintendo Accounts for a smooth transition to the Switch 2. With that understanding, it seems unlikely that the Switch's follow-up will differ from the current iteration too much. Not to mention, the success of the hybrid model might be difficult for Nintendo to walk away from.

Edit:

The image from OP and the article is from WO2023203801.
This has not been patented. It's not even close to being patented. There are no public national stage filings yet, so if someone were to argue that Nintendo has not actually applied for a patent yet I would not disagree, though it would be a pretty pedantic point.
WO2023203802 was filed part of the same batch and also has something similar.
The batch also had: WO2023203800, which is about a fan; WO2023203799, which I think is about the way the screen fits into the device; WO2023203803 which is about a cover; WO2023203804 which is about buttons I think.

Thank you so much to Hexa for the links and further context

Last edited:

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
The DS form factor is way too good to not come back in some fashion, eventually.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Would love another clamshell design. I don't give a shit about the Switch simply because it isn't remotely portable.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Another Code Recollection smashes sales records

Switch 2 is a DS

The Casebook of Kyle Hyde gets announced, sells 50M in two days

It's all coming together

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
You know what I've never thought ever since the 3DS stopped being a thing?

"Oh boy, I wish they made another DS!"

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Switch 2: but you say Squared instead of 2, but it's written as a small 2. So it makes it clear that it's a sequel system, while getting to retain a ridiculous sequel system name like the U in Wii U!

They can't lose!….

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
This could be a sweet all in one handheld that can play all of the Nintendo handheld games up to the Switch.

Efreeti

Banned
Jul 5, 2019
Split'N'Unite, the cool new game where you make connections with your friends! 16 players max, BYO Split

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
"ok, new hardware comin' down the pipeline. how can we introduce even more ridiculous points of failure on this thing?"

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
If the next Switch just turns out to be a giant ass DS then we are so fucking back.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I really just hope we get a normal system going forward, they already suck at keeping games available to play going forward and this complicated crap makes it's worse.

Plus this stuff has never changed gameplay enough to not just be a nuisance for repairs, emulation, or ease of use.

PS_Snake

Jun 11, 2023
why is a Nintendo DS that can be split stupid lol? The handheld that is among the highest-selling video game hardware…only with extra functionality that doesn't need to be used.
I don't need a second screen personally, just another thing to break or fail especially if it's designed to be paired wirelessly and come off.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"ok, new hardware comin' down the pipeline. how can we introduce even more ridiculous points of failure on this thing?"

"It's gonna be extremely expensive, prone to failure, have zero battery life, and nobody but us will support it! This is definitely the best way forward!"

Just...a better Switch is all you fucking need. Turning it into an absurdly expensive 3DS benefits nobody and basically wastes all the power you COULD put into the damn thing!

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Hmmmm not sure how I feel about this if it's the Switch 2, as I mostly only play docked.

Last edited: