• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 7, 2022
Honestly, I was looking forward to the game because of the story and what culture they were drawing from (you never see it. It's just too intriguing for me to pass up.), but the demo ran SO bad that I was going to wait to see how final performance was. Given the predictable reactions to the game I might just go ahead and get it anyway right now so that it can have sales.

Playing the final game on PS5 and it runs very well on Performance mode. I wish the resolution was little higher, but it's not very noticeable once you're in the heat of things.

Look, the last thing I wanna do is defend these dopes but they're not boycotting the game because it, specifically, has DEI; rather it's the game's relationship to Sweet Baby, Inc. - who I think were just tweeting about it. So yeah, it's still a bad look, but if we're going to be criticizing a dipshit movement, we can at least do it with accuracy.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Look, the last thing I wanna do is defend these dopes but they're not boycotting the game because it, specifically, has DEI; rather it's the game's relationship to Sweet Baby, Inc. - who I think were just tweeting about it. So yeah, it's still a bad look, but if we're going to be criticizing a dipshit movement, we can at least do it with accuracy.
Nah, it starts with

"A game/piece of media is starring a black character in general, let alone a lead character"

let alone any sort of "nuance" to go alongside the blatant racism. SBI is just the scapegoat and DEI is the 2024 version of "blacks/I wanna say the n word but i'm a fucking coward."

If you don't believe me, here's a pitch perfect example:

View: https://x.com/FandomMenaceLs_/status/1781138945423614423

It's as much about SBI as it was about ethics in journalism ten years ago. Which is how we arrived at the latest example where it's literally a game made by a black man, who's worked in the industry for years, and an indie studio, telling a story relevant to his personal life with a setting relevant to his heritage.

DEI="black characters in general"

Last edited:

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
Playing the final game on PS5 and it runs very well on Performance mode. I wish the resolution was little higher, but it's not very noticeable once you're in the heat of things.

My question is how many of them are using this as a dogwhistle?

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was gonna wait for a potential GP addition but I'll just buy it. Fuck racist haters trying to bring this shit down.

Feb 16, 2022
This makes no sense considering the reason they're targeting SBI and games they've had a hand on in the first place is the DEI factor.

Nov 7, 2022
Sweet Baby Inc is the new ethics in gaming journalism. That's just an excuse.

They're doing it because of both reasons. DEI(hard R included), a game starring a black man, and SBI being involved.

My question is how many of them are using this as a dogwhistle?

Yes I know we can read between the lines and make likely valid insinuations on their true intentions, but until they give hard evidence of their reasoning behind this specific thing, you have plenty of better examples of them being chuds, as Crossing Eden demonstrates.

I know I'm being overly pedantic here, I'm just sick of people I agree with getting the small details wrong and then seeing it spread like wildfire and used as examples of how wrong we are.

Feb 16, 2022
Yes I know we can read between the lines and make likely valid insinuations on their true intentions, but until they give hard evidence of their reasoning behind this specific thing, you have plenty of better examples of them being chuds, as Crossing Eden demonstrates.

I know I'm being overly pedantic here, I'm just sick of people I agree with getting the small details wrong and then seeing it spread like wildfire and used as examples of how wrong we are.
If you're boycotting something, you'll often extend that to anything associated with the target.
You're not being pedantic--you're simply not making any sense. Them targeting the game for the SBI connection is the same thing as them targeting it for DEI reasons. Why do you think they're singling out SBI in the first place?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

It's honestly not a small detail because so many of them straight up told on themselves.

They were complaining about Zau BEFORE the SBI thing happened, it's the same crowd.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not swallowing their bullshit is not getting the details wrong. These are the same people that are pretending Eiyuden Chronicles had anything to do with SBI when it didn't, because they want to hate that game too. So clearly, being correct and the actual presence of SBI isn't a requirement. It's almost like this is really about something else!

Nov 12, 2017
It's obvious to me at this point that these racists just want to keep minorities (in particular, black / brown people) outside of games by attempting to label every game associated with us as woke, it has nothing to do with anything else.

They want us to make our own shit, and when we do, they urge people to boycott. What the fuck. Is it so hard to just ignore it if you don't like it?

Could someone enlighten me if it was this bad when GTA SA was teased and released? I'm too young to remember, but was it given the pass since, I'm assuming here, over 95% of the dev team were white people? But even that does not make sense because games with minority leads now that are made in America are still developed by mostly white teams. I'm so lost.

Last edited:

Primus

Oct 25, 2017

You cannot win that game. There will always be some sort of caveat or slight mistake or goalpost-moving that will allow the chuds to claim victory. It's how all of this operates. It's not even about being right, it's about us being wrong thus proving their viewpoint is justified, because being incorrect invalidates their entire existence.

PallasKitten

Jul 11, 2022

I mean... What does it really matter when their own consistency is non-existent? They aren't going to be swayed by "facts and logic" as much as they may claim to, because they're swayed entirely by emotion and their own status quo. Trying to be rational and 100% accurate down to the tiniest details with an opponent that will take that and throw it out the window is utterly pointless.

That being said I don't even really understand what you mean here either - SBI and DEI are basically interchangeable to them, where's the "inaccuracies"?

Nov 7, 2022
They were complaining about Zau BEFORE the SBI thing happened, it's the same crowd.

See, this is the type of thing you should be yelling about. And I believe you but I don't see any mention of that in this thread.

You cannot win that game. There will always be some sort of caveat or slight mistake or goalpost-moving that will allow the chuds to claim victory.

You, and the video someone else shared about Reverse Gish-Galloping, are probably right. It's a fruitless battle. So my bad on trying to point out a minor inconsistency.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
"Make your own games" was always just an excuse. As far as these overgrown toddlers are concerned, they're the only audience there should ever be. The mere existence of queer or PoC creatives and narratives is like, gamer genocide to them. They whinge about games they wouldn't have been interested in to begin with because the "out group" shouldn't have anything the "in group" doesn't. Like showing up to a birthday party and declaring it your birthday party now because "I'm the big special boy and mommy says I get to do whatever I want 😌" type shit.

It's juvenile bullshit. Legitimately shameful and completely embarrassing. Never mind how a whole lot of the people supposedly invading their sacred escapist hobby have been playing fucking video games since before many of them were even born.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
See, this is the type of thing you should be yelling about. And I believe you but I don't see any mention of that in this thread.

You, and the video someone else shared about Reverse Gish-Galloping, are probably right. It's a fruitless battle. So my bad on trying to point out a minor inconsistency.

Nothing wrong with pointing it out, I get what you're saying because there are people who are making their entire personality hoping Stellar Blade will fail and all of that. In regards to the SBI list though, they people pushing it are 100% cowards who won't say it with their whole chest why they "hate" SBI/DEI so much.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they have a website called DEI Detected. That is literally screaming in someone's face of their true intentions.

Nov 7, 2022
Nothing wrong with pointing it out, I get what you're saying because there are people who are making their entire personality hoping Stellar Blade will fail and all of that. In regards to the SBI list though, they people pushing it are 100% cowards who won't say it with their whole chest why they "hate" SBI/DEI so much.

Oh for sure, the writing's on the wall regarding their feelings towards minorities. What's bizarre to me is that they'll claim to hate the DEI pandering but then turn around and just revel in the Stellar Blade coomer panderverse. And while I do think the SB Stellar Blade hate parade has pushed their point a little too hard, I at least understand where they're coming from and agree with it it to a point.

I mean, they have a website called DEI Detected. That is literally screaming in someone's face of their true intentions.

I don't want to check that site out of principle, but if Tales of Kenzaru winds up on there without any mention of SBI, then that 100% just shits all over my previous point.

Last edited:

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
If you're boycotting something, you'll often extend that to anything associated with the target.
This would be a fine argument if it was actually the case. The same person who created the Sweet Baby Inc. Detected list also created a website called DEIdetected.

Eiyuden Chronicle is listed in the Sweet Baby Inc. detected list but Sweet Baby did not work on it and *gasp* it links to DEIDetected's website. It says "TERRIBLE, political-driven western localization"

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Eiyuden Chronicle is listed in the Sweet Baby Inc. detected list but Sweet Baby did not work on it and *gasp* it links to DEIDetected's website. It says "TERRIBLE, political-driven western localization"

The absolutely hilarious thing is that one of the bits of the localization the chuds are glomming onto as WOKE and TERRIBLE, is the word "chud" being used.

Irony so think you can bludgeon someone to death with it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
As I said, multiple people have been telling on themselves regarding Zau for ages. SBI is just a new buzzword.

while I do think the SB hate parade has pushed their point a little too hard, I at least understand where they're coming from and agree with it it to a point.
Ok we need to address this because the fuck?

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
And while I do think the SB hate parade has pushed their point a little too hard, I at least understand where they're coming from and agree with it it to a point.
Stop taking them at their word, they are lying through their teeth, there is nothing to be "more accurate" on because they don't give a fuck about anything but hating women, queer people, and minorities.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Can we hack their website to say the quiet part out loud? Not saying I endorse such action, but it would be funny as hell.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017

Oh come on. These are bigots through and through. Who gives a fuck what reason they claim they want to boycott something? They hate POC, women and LGBTQIA people. That's it. That's always the only reason.

And it's not like the reason they give is anything but a bigoted one either. Forced diversity? Considering woke to be a bad thing? These are all bigoted reasons.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to delineate between SBI and DEI seems silly when there was the conspiracy theory that SBI was a vehicle of Blackrock and Vanquard to force companies to institute DEI to get good ESG ratings so their stock price isn't negatively affected… or some kind of similar nonsense.

Like it's just a bunch of nonsense buzzwords to obfuscate that it's a hate campaign to push white supremacist values. You care more about the "specifics" than they do.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to delineate between SBI and DEI seems silly when there was the conspiracy theory that SBI was a vehicle of Blackrock and Vanquard to force companies to institute DEI to get good ESG ratings so their stock price isn't negatively affected… or some kind of similar nonsense.

Oh lord, I'd totally forgotten about those first couple days when it was all a VC conspiracy to force diversity in order to float stock prices. This insanity didn't even start with something as grounded as "ethics in game journalism", it started with whacko Alex Jones-level crap and then went straight to blatant racism.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Per Sweet Baby Inc's website:

"Founded in 2018, Sweet Baby Inc. is a narrative development and consultation studio based in Montreal and working around the globe. Our mission is to tell better, more empathetic stories while diversifying and enriching the video games industry. We aim to make games more engaging, more fun, more meaningful, and more inclusive, for everyone."​

Saying that Sweet Baby Inc pushes DEI isn't exactly a conspiracy theory per se, it's a reversal of roles. Sweet Baby Inc doesn't have the power to push that interest on its clients, but it absolutely works to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in gaming. Companies work with them specifically because they want to do that.

So trying to differentiate between being anti-SBI and anti-DEI is simply muddying the conversation in pointless semantics. DEI is what what SBI does. Unless you're specifically critical of SBI for failing to align with its own mission, which isn't an angle we've heard, the primary reason to target SBI is to stop them from accomplishing that mission.

Rose

Feb 2, 2019
The Zau discussions on Steam continue to be filled with posts about SBI. Some of the earliest and the first contain blatant and vile lies, with the replies still in place two months since they were posted. EA also posted multiple times in the thread, so their inaction shows they are just as complicit in this as Valve.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They must not have anyone on the art team who speaks English because there is nothing more absurd than imagining graffiti tags with literal bubble letters that just say "Crime" and "Hard". I'd call them AI generated but even the worst AI would pick better words than that

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
So in light of the most recent stuff with Stellar Blade and the "hard R" stuff, Someone pointed this out on twitter

in short they literally took one accidental slur out and replaced it with another slur. Wait until this GG crowd gets to it.

I literally never heard anyone use that term before and Urban Dictionary is not really an authoritative source on this since users can add any random term they think up of.