DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pMrssIrKcY

This looks very bad for Asus. Seems like there's something wrong in the shop.

The TLDR is that ASUS took a warranty claim and demanded payment for repair of extremely minor physical damage. ASUS did nothing to indicate that they would make the warranty repairs without payment until GN filed a dispute. Before the dispute ASUS suggested they would return the device unrepaired. GN calls it a "manipulative repair process"

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Was about to type out "again?!", but then I remembered that was newegg.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Still working through the video, but... yeah, I don't think I'm ever going to buy anything from Asus. Ever.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Still working through the video, but... yeah, I don't think I'm ever going to buy anything from Asus. Ever.
Meanwhile, even after this tech YouTuber blowup at ASUS last year, everybody else was splooting their jorts to partner with ASUS for YT content

Stop buying ASUS, people! Go for MSI or Gigabyte instead! They deserve the business more than ASUS has in years!

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, even after this tech YouTuber blowup at ASUS last year, everybody else was splooting their jorts to partner with ASUS for YT content

Stop buying ASUS, people! Go for MSI or Gigabyte instead! They deserve the business more than ASUS has in years!
MSI and Gigabyte are no better tho.

Gigabyte had no problems selling customer exploding PSU which were effectively firehazards and MSI also has long history of doing shady stuff like just recently selling one of their QD-OLED monitors without the ability to upgrade the firmware while there are some pretty big problems with the screen that just got recently fixed via a firmware update for the one that supports it.

TheKeipatzy

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I haven't had any of their computer components if I recall but I have had a phone with them a few years back and worked pretty well for 6 months and then there was an issue with the charging port (I swear I'm cursed with most of my phones that way)

Had a warranty as well as an Amazon thing but they said to go with them first so send it to them and they said because of the screen looks scratched they couldn't proceed any further...

Thankfully the Amazon protection plan kicked in at that point and they didn't seem to care about the scratch or anything and just repaired it as I wanted.

Ever since then I just kind of shied away from that and went with another company.

Re-Tails

Aug 16, 2020
Motherboard and pc part warranty is a minefield. No experience with Asus but had my dealings with other brands.

Was charged for the whole mobo replacement due to bent usb header pins when I was claiming warranty for the cpu socket not working. Since they had to replace the whole board, any unrelated issues (bent usb pins which I didn't care about) basically voided the warranty of the whole board.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
MSI and Gigabyte are no better tho.

Gigabyte had no problems selling customer exploding PSU which were effectively firehazards and MSI also has long history of doing shady stuff like just recently selling one of their QD-OLED monitors without the ability to upgrade the firmware while there are some pretty big problems with the screen that just got recently fixed via a firmware update for the one that supports it.

I was gonna say, at this point who DOESN'T have some major customer service or reliability issue in their recent past? It's getting hard to keep track.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say, at this point who DOESN'T have some major customer service or reliability issue in their recent past? It's getting hard to keep track.
Nah they all suck. I even forgot that Gigabyte blamed the media in their first press release about the issues and their PSUs were a-okay lmao.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
The fucked up thing is that in Canada, you don't have many choices if you have to RMA something. Locally, I know Asus, and Gigabyte have centres here, I don't recall the others.

Because no one really wants to send their shit to another country to get fixed.

Canadians don't really have much of a choice anyway when it comes to buying PC parts from a store. Canada Computers, country wide is fucking garbage though.

edit - about the 4090 they mentioned in the vid.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Was about to type out "again?!", but then I remembered that was newegg.
It kind of is again tbh. GamersNexus called out ASUS's crappy warranty stuff last year over the AMD motherboard voltage debacle. They were basically refusing warranty over the beta bios that the company recommended people use so it didn't fry their cpu's. They also refused warranty for the frying cpu issue too.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thank fuck for our 2/3 years warranty, still can't believe 1 year is the norm elsewhere.
Some American credit cards somehow extend manufacturer warranties. My card apparently adds an extra year on anything with a <= 3 year warranty. While I haven't actually tried using it yet, it's nice to know it's there.

Duck Sauce

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
United States
I still buy ASUS but I always buy the Microcenter additional warranty. I will never ever deal with Asus customer service ever again. It took 4 months just to get back a monitor with the constant back and forth and them trying to charge me for "damages".

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
Pictures of what they gave me as a Z790 Extreme Replacement after I gave them one in pristine condition (outside of it dieing): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/121h0Pu7RBAndHbftoy6HXYSYTUfDOETh?usp=sharing (jokingly... the hair and dirt pictures on the thermal pads might be NSFW)

Yeah... ASUS fucked me on the my Z790 Extreme when they sent me back a used replacement with broken/cracked screens, scraped back plate, All the M.2 latches were missing, pubic hair + dirt on all the thermal pads, metal fins had chunks of metal missing + paint in several areas chipped, and they left the damn thing in service mode which would have destroyed the board over time. The board also had holes drilled into it around the CPU socket... Just thinking about it makes me furious.

They continuously told me that nothing was wrong with the board that they sent me and that everything was just cosmetic and it is expected of their refurbished replacements to have this sort of damage.

The board was filthy, left in RSVD mode, among several other things. It is extensive and would require me having a sit down over a video conference or a phone call to convey everything that happened during the conversation. Leaving the board in RSVD mode is an automatic failure as it has potential to damage the board for the customer. Someone not knowing any better would have run the board in this mode.

I fought them for weeks and they finally bought my board back at full price and I bought an MSI Z790 Ace Max and haven't had an issue since. I will NEVER buy another ASUS product. Don't give a shit what they offer. Fuck them.

Ibuki

Feb 6, 2021
Great reporting from Steve and GN as always. I will not be buying an Ally or any ASUS components, definitely not worth dealing with any of these headaches if something goes wrong.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
That's tragic because I do like their products, but their pants were absolutely caught down in that investigation

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
After watching the video: yeah, Asus should burn for what they're doing. That's straight up extortion.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Shit like this is why I bought MSI motherboards for both my desktops last year after buying ASUS for years. I still bought an ROG Ally, but I bought it knowing that if it broke I'd likely be out of luck (it's still going strong thankfully with no SD card reader issues).

MSI, Gigabyte, and every other parts company also has issues but I do feel like ASUS is currently the worst of the bunch.
Pictures of what they gave me as a Z790 Extreme Replacement after I gave them one in pristine condition (outside of it dieing): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/121h0Pu7RBAndHbftoy6HXYSYTUfDOETh?usp=sharing (jokingly... the hair and dirt pictures on the thermal pads might be NSFW)

Yeah... ASUS fucked me on the my Z790 Extreme when they sent me back a used replacement with broken/cracked screens, scraped back plate, All the M.2 latches were missing, pubic hair + dirt on all the thermal pads, metal fins had chunks of metal missing + paint in several areas chipped, and they left the damn thing in service mode which would have destroyed the board over time. The board also had holes drilled into it around the CPU socket... Just thinking about it makes me furious.

They continuously told me that nothing was wrong with the board that they sent me and that everything was just cosmetic and it is expected of their refurbished replacements to have this sort of damage.

The board was filthy, left in RSVD mode, among several other things. It is extensive and would require me having a sit down over a video conference or a phone call to convey everything that happened during the conversation. Leaving the board in RSVD mode is an automatic failure as it has potential to damage the board for the customer. Someone not knowing any better would have run the board in this mode.

I fought them for weeks and they finally bought my board back at full price and I bought an MSI Z790 Ace Max and haven't had an issue since. I will NEVER buy another ASUS product. Don't give a shit what they offer. Fuck them.
This is the kind of thing I'd be willing to go to small claims court over, that's absolutely disgusting and in no way is it "acceptable condition" for an RMA replacement. I'm glad they finally resolved the issue for you without needing to escalate things further.

WardFail

Banned
Jul 30, 2022
United States
Really good work from Steve! It's really sad to see how hard ASUS is trying to bulldoze themselves and their ROG branding. It used to mean something or maybe I was just naive to the marketing since I've never had to RMA a PC component in a long long time. I'm not looking forward to my Zen 5/RTX5090 PC rebuild that I'll be doing over the next year since mobo has usually been ASUS and now so are my GPU's (RIP EVGA).

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
You know, it just occurred to me that, especially with their ROG branding, they're focusing on the "enthusiast" crowd, the very people that know better when you try to bullshit them about their tech. They'll market it to you like you're an expert, but when you RMA something, they'll treat you like a normie who bought a random PC at Wal-Mart or whatever.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Shit like this is why I bought MSI motherboards for both my desktops last year after buying ASUS for years. I still bought an ROG Ally, but I bought it knowing that if it broke I'd likely be out of luck (it's still going strong thankfully with no SD card reader issues).

MSI, Gigabyte, and every other parts company also has issues but I do feel like ASUS is currently the worst of the bunch.
I think every company is going to have a fuck up every now and then, it's how you handle it. The fact that Asus was in hot water last year over product issues combined with warranty concerns, and yet here we are a year later and they're still doing this kind of shit.

It doesn't help that Asus is largely considered the most expensive company for parts, at least here in the UK they are, which'd be fine if they delivered a more premium product/service, but I don't believe that to be true recently.

Chanser

Oct 27, 2017
Asrock any better?

Last time I'm buying anything from Asus.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Tbh, I don't trust in general, anything can happen so you should expect the worst.

Last edited:

MimosaSTG

Jun 7, 2022
You know, it just occurred to me that, especially with their ROG branding, they're focusing on the "enthusiast" crowd, the very people that know better when you try to bullshit them about their tech. They'll market it to you like you're an expert, but when you RMA something, they'll treat you like a normie who bought a random PC at Wal-Mart or whatever.

The way they talk to you is insulting to your intelligence. Even the "higher" level team have no clue what they are talking about. Then there is a no direct contact with upper management policy.

I got so upset about this just posting on here I sent my experience to [email protected]

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Honestly I think its the opposite. The ROG branding is a "l33t" gaming brand pushed to the masses. People see it as the Apple or Nike of computers. I often saw people buy Asus because believe them to be the best because it has to be, its what gamers use!

The people buying it are buying the brand recognition and not because they know all the features and specs or details of the product. The mass market is actually pretty stupid about the going on of the enthusiast market and brands like Asus take advantage of that. Same with Razer and all the other brands that focus so much on BRAND BRAND BRAND vs just good products.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
They're different companies these days, and FWIW ASRock AM5 motherboards were the only ones not frying X3D chips.
Well yes, as I said they're ran independently, but they are still owned by Asus. It's just part of a different arm.

What you said isn't true though, ASrock had reports of frying too. They all did, there was just certain brands which had it more likely happen due to some of the manufacturers choices(Asus) and/or bios bugs(Gigabyte).

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017

I agree people should vote with their wallets, but the examples you listed are just as bad if not worse. Both MSI and gigabyte have horrific rma process.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Well yes, as I said they're ran independently, but they are still owned by Asus. It's just part of a different arm.

What you said isn't true though, ASrock had reports of frying too. They all did, there was just certain brands which had it more likely happen due to some of the manufacturers choices and/or bios bugs.

I was paying very close attention during that whole situation, and I genuinely don't remember seeing a single verified case of an ASRock mobo frying them. Are you sure? Much like the recent Intel stuff the core of the issue was mobo manufacturers being too aggressive with power settings.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I was paying very close attention during that whole situation, and I genuinely don't remember seeing a single verified case of an ASRock mobo frying them. Are you sure? Much like the recent Intel stuff the core of the issue was mobo manufacturers being too aggressive with power settings.
Well I don't think many reports were truly verified. Only really issues with Asus and Gigabyte, due to the work of GamersNexus and Buildzoid respectively.

I definitely saw some posts of people having similar issues with Asrock, just not too many, was only like one or two. Same for MSI where there was only one or two reports, unlike Asus/Gigabyte which had a lot more.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The CPU-frying was an overclocking thing, wasn't it? It wouldn't just do it under normal default use, would it? Especially for, say, ASRock, which I've had two in a row of and I'm about to buy a third?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Well I don't think many reports were truly verified. Only really issues with Asus and Gigabyte, due to the work of GamersNexus and Buildzoid respectively.

I definitely saw some posts of people having similar issues with Asrock, just not too many, was only like one or two. Same for MSI where there was only one or two reports, unlike Asus/Gigabyte which had a lot more.

The CPU-frying was an overclocking thing, wasn't it? It wouldn't just do it under normal default use, would it? Especially for, say, ASRock, which I've had two in a row of and I'm about to buy a third?

Looking into it more, there were one or two reports from ASRock boards, but it appears that they were the first to respond to the issue and it was far less widespread. Either way; probably one of the vendors you can trust, at least on the AMD side of things.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Looking into it more, there were one or two reports from ASRock boards, but it appears that they were the first to respond to the issue and it was far less widespread. Either way; probably one of the vendors you can trust, at least on the AMD side of things.
Yeah, I was shopping around for motherboards. Asus was off the list because of GN's previous videos on them, Gigabyte had those PSU problems, and I remember hearing something bad about MSI, but I don't remember exactly what it was. ASRock seems about the only one you don't hear much about, they're just kind of... there.

But I have had two of their motherboards now. The first one did eventually fail (SATA controller started going out), but it was old as shit by the time I replaced it. The one I have now has lasted just fine for like five years. It's the CPU I'm looking to upgrade now, which is mandating a new mobo. I've already got one picked out, I'm just waiting to see if there's going to be a Memorial Day sale.. lol.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
More related to the thread; I'm absolutely not surprised by the viewer reporting their laptop frying itself because the Liquid Metal leaked. Late last year my G15 AE randomly started thermal throttling, and upon opening it up, I found this:

View: https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1789122425143300513

...notice how the Liquid Metal on the CPU was dangerously close to leaking? Yeah, forget the RMA issues, I wouldn't trust ASUS' quality control as far as I can throw it.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Well okay, technically? It was an XMP/EXPO thing. Technically yes, it's overclocking, but RAM(and CPU performance) is marketed on those EXPO/XMP speeds/values so it's not like the user is actually overclocking as much as they're just using the settings/speeds the RAM/CPU advertises.

Setting EXPO on was causing higher voltage to the CPU SoC than what it should have(AMD is to blame here as well), which could potentially cause the CPU to get fried when combined with some other issues. Each manufacturer did the SoC voltage a bit differently in their "default" settings which get set when you flick the expo switch. Gamersnexus actually came out a graph with it at the time recording what each of the boards set as their "default" expo SoC value, and Asus was one of the highest.

Realistically the SoC should have not been able to go that high, and AMD should have been clear about it (which is what happened in the end, you can't go that high anymore), but the board partners shouldn't have been going that wild on SoC. It just wasn't needed for the type of ram kits most people were using. They were just trying to cover loads of ram kits so their board looked better.
Yeah, I think there's a reason Gamers Nexus mainly went ham on ASUS, and it was just because they handled it dreadfully. Where as all the others didn't.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They're different companies these days, and FWIW ASRock AM5 motherboards were the only ones not frying X3D chips.
I thought I remembered everyone but MSI having at least somewhat of an issue, but yeah I know ASUS seemed to have the biggest issue. I remember being extremely glad I bought MSI when the report came out since I was safe from the issue.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Well okay, technically? It was an XMP/EXPO thing. Technically yes, it's overclocking, but RAM(and CPU performance) is marketed on those EXPO/XMP speeds/values so it's not like the user is actually overclocking as much as they're just using the settings/speeds the RAM/CPU advertises.

Setting EXPO on was causing higher voltage to the CPU SoC than what it should have(AMD is to blame here as well), which could potentially cause the CPU to get fried when combined with some other issues. Each manufacturer did the SoC voltage a bit differently in their "default" settings which get set when you flick the expo switch. Gamersnexus actually came out a graph with it at the time recording what each of the boards set as their "default" expo SoC value, and Asus was one of the highest.

Realistically the SoC should have not been able to go that high, and AMD should have been clear about it (which is what happened in the end, you can't go that high anymore), but the board partners shouldn't have been going that wild on SoC. It just wasn't needed for the type of ram kits most people were using. They were just trying to cover loads of ram kits so their board looked better.
I vaguely remember those details now that you mention them, I haven't seen that video since they first posted it.

I will be running EXPO on my new board, but not as high as what some RAM kits are pushing, and I expect (read: hope) ASRock's BIOS doesn't have that problem anymore.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Going back to 2008-2009 I always heard these horror stories about having to deal with RMA with other companies, Asus was always one of them. I've only ever had to deal with RMA's a few times with a hand full of GPU's and EVGA always treated me right, either by fixing the GPU and sending me another one, or replacing the GPU with a more powerful one.

EVGA getting out of the GPU business is a big disappointment for me, having to buy from another company in 2022 for my 4000 series GPU was strange.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I have a laptop that had international warranty from Asus because it was a SEA model. ASUS US honored the warranty and replaced the entire motherboard after it died, with a few days left on the warranty. Other than the screws coming in the wrong places and the usual Asus quality LM application, it was fine.

I got lucky.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
More related to the thread; I'm absolutely not surprised by the viewer reporting their laptop frying itself because the Liquid Metal leaked. Late last year my G15 AE randomly started thermal throttling, and upon opening it up, I found this:

View: https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1789122425143300513

...notice how the Liquid Metal on the CPU was dangerously close to leaking? Yeah, forget the RMA issues, I wouldn't trust ASUS' quality control as far as I can throw it.

That's unfortunately a known issue with Asus laptops. Their LM application is mediocre at best.

I opened my Asus, reapplied and made sure the seal was okay.

Lenovo does LM better.