• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You are aware that nobody outside of a small part of the internet gaming community actually knows what gamergate is, right?

Exactly, this is a relevant point that some ERA posters don't seem to realize/understand.

I guarantee you no one in my job's company office has ever heard of Gamergate, except for the one IT person. I work for a real-estate company and most of the employees are age 40+ and not techie types.

I also guarantee you my parents and their friends of that generation have never heard of Gamergate. They are aged 65+ and have zero interest in video games.

If someone actually thinks that "everyone" has heard of Gamergate, then quite frankly you must be in a bubble with only techie young-generation people who read about video games on the internet.

If I were to try to explain the Gamergate story to my parents or old-age work colleagues, they would either laugh or be completely puzzled at how silly it is. I can actually picture their reactions in my head, they would think it's a stupid story.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try using some criticial thinking skills and you'll get it.

Hint hint,it's not that people hate playing video games

DING DING DING.
Sorry, but I'm not falling for that. I've been a gamer since long before "gamer" became a slur. I'm not letting you, or the people you hate, decide what that word means.

I don't know what you're trying to do here. But it looks like you're trying to get me to say what you want me to say, whatever that is. Ease up with the attitude. I just disagree with you about a word. I didn't kill your cat. I happen to love cats.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a Gamer, I'm King Of The Nerds

S3GGjWr.jpg

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, but I'm not falling for that. I've been a gamer since long before "gamer" became a slur
You realize that the normalization of sexism and racism in the community didn't start with gamergate yes? Gonna repeat myself

Do more to end what's normalized in gaming culture instead of berating those who're off put by it and don't want to define their identity as "I play video games."

It starts with acknowledging that there's a problem, which you're very blatantly trying to avoid doing.

Rudolph

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado by way of Louisiana
I mean I've never called myself a gamer but I do love games and certain games I can talk about forever... It's the same way I don't think I'm a cenefile or whatever but I do watch alot of movies and can have long conversations about them.

The issue is that if you even talk about liking games to like an actual 'gamer' they ask what's the greatest of all time and then wanna get super detailed aboout a game that came out 10 years and then about how chicks suck. But this might just be my experience. Like I play alotta games but I could never goto like a gamer centric event and talk to 'gamers' it's never been a plesant experience.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, and it's so ridiculous I don't even know what to say. To see peopoe actually talk shit about "gamers" on a gaming forum, it's just.. it makes them look like idiots. If you hate gaming so much, go somewhere else.
It's self-indulgent garbage.
You can see it even in the smug tone of some posts here: "Oh, sure, I play games and I spend most of my free time posting on a gaming forum, but let's make very clear I'm not like those losers over there. I'm a strong independent thinker who doesn't like reductive labels".

As if anyone else was going around screaming "Videogames are all I care in my life" to the four winds, instead.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Always found it funny when people on this forum go " I'm not a gamer."

Ok dude, you post on a videogame forum where people discuss the sales in the industry, get "hyped" over trailers, and where conference threads end up getting over a 100 pages. Oh and you need a special email to sign up for this site and need verification. But you're not a gamer.

There's this magical place called EtcetEra you see ...

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, that is the technical definition of the term.

However, video gaming, unlikely literally every other form of media consumption, seems to be an identity-defining trait. Words like "cinephile" exist, or bibliophile, but only for people who are basically "obsessed". Almost no one who goes to the movies with normal frequency describes themselves as "cinephiles".

People literally identify as "gamers", which no one does for just going to see films, read books, or listen to music. When the label becomes personal, human brains begin to feel attacked, defensive, and outright hostile toward anything they perceive as threatening that identity, like other groups coming in to the hobby, people writing negative reviews about certain things, different political viewpoints appearing in their games, and so on.

So, yes, while I'm certainly a "gamer", it's a term with a loaded connotation and I don't particularly enjoy associating myself with it, as much as I love games.
I'll echo this.

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do more to end what's normalized in gaming culture instead of berating those who're off put by it and don't want to define their identity as "I play video games."

Don't assume you know anything about what I do or don't do. It's arrogant and ignorant.

Nope.

I play games but gaming is not my identity

Oh boo hoo. It's not a damn subculture, it's just something you do. If you don't like it, at least stop supporting mockery of kids who have know idea about why you think the word is bad. They just fucking love video games. I'm not kidding, I've seen kids (high school employee here) start to use gamer as a fucking slur, and that's not cool. So fucking stop it. Your self righteousness is starting to get people hurt.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Dumbest term ever. I don't get why people feel the need to identify themselves by their interests. I play games a couple of times a week, that is a very small aspect of who I am.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Don't assume you know anything about what I do or don't do. It's arrogant and ignorant.
Actions speak louder than words and as I said, you're doing a great job at not addressing any of the issues. See the following:

If you don't like it, at least stop supporting mockery of kids who have know idea about why you think the word is bad.
I literally just gave you several receipts on why, and the average "gamer" is a grown ass man.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boo hoo. It's not a damn subculture, it's just something you do. If you don't like it, at least stop supporting mockery of kids who have know idea about why you think the word is bad. They just fucking love video games. I'm not kidding, I've seen kids (high school employee here) start to use gamer as a fucking slur, and that's not cool. So fucking stop it. Your self righteousness is starting to get people hurt.

Maybe gaming shouldn't have enabled gamergate.

Maybe people shouldn't insist that I must be a gamer.

Maybe gaming should actually stand receptive to social criticism.

Gamers drove my favorite video game personality from the industry because she was a woman

Maybe gaming should actually stop being a toxic culture

legitshippy

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, have noticed that when some people do bad things, there's always some other enlightened trotting out "gamers are worst".

Bolsters the internet cred, it does.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The issue is that if you even talk about liking games to like an actual 'gamer' they ask what's the greatest of all time and then wanna get super detailed aboout a game that came out 10 years and then about how chicks suck.
What's wrong about talking about the greatest games of all time and getting into a detailed discussion about games from the past?

As for "chicks suck", I've never heard that myself lol. I don't really go to gaming events outside my house though

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You realize that the normalization of sexism and racism in the community didn't start with gamergate yes? Gonna repeat myself

It starts with acknowledging that there's a problem, which you're very blatantly trying to avoid doing.

Yrah, I'm not gonna bother with you unless you do some flicking on thatholier than thou attitud you've got going on here. Instead of just assuming that you're smarter and know better than everyone around you, you could for a second consider to stop treating people like children.

It's self-indulgent garbage.
You can see it even in the smug tone of some posts here: "Oh, sure, I play games and I spend most of my free time posting on a gaming forum, but let's make very clear I'm not like those losers over there. I'm a strong independent thinker who doesn't like reductive labels".

As if anyone else was going around screaming "Videogames are all I care in my life" to the four winds, instead.

I can't do much but roll my eyes most of the time, but sometimes I just can't shut up. And this agressive, violent attitude as well. Why? I don't see anything wrong with a word used to describe one of my hobbies and I'm treated like I'm an evil, stupid person.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamers rise up.

The use case for "gamer" has changed. People who play games don't harrass developers/publishers, arent entitled brats, and don't regularly dip into bigotry or normalize hate speech as moments "heated gaming moments" that "Helped you through a hard time."

"Gamer" is now a specific subculture.

Rudolph

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong about talking about the greatest games of all time and getting into a detailed discussion about games from the past?

As for "chicks suck", I've never heard that myself lol. I don't really go to gaming events outside my house though

There's nothing wrong with it for the people that want to do it. But I don't care I just like playing videogames.

Your question just proves my point. If I like videogames but I don't self identify and want to engage you'll just say I'm not a real gamer anyway and I won't care!

Poster above is right. Gamer is a subculture of games just like cenephiles etc.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yrah, I'm not gonna bother with you unless you do some flicking on thatholier than thou attitud you've got going on here. Instead of just assuming that you're smarter and know better than everyone around you, you could for a second consider to stop treating people like children.
So you gonna acknowledge these receipts or...? I'll take that as a no.

And this agressive, violent attitude as well. Why?
*Refuses to acknowledge the problems with gamer culture while saying this*

Congrats on being part of the problem with "gamers." Because acknowledging the problems with the culture sure is prevalent.

thumbsup_800x600.gif

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Can we stop using gamers as a word to describe low lifes? Call them what they are instead, sexist or whatever else.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

Gamers drove my favorite video game personality from the industry because she was a woman

Thank you!

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I play games and I'm not a "gamer". Playing games is just one of many things I do, it doesn't define me.

Rudolph

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I can't do much but roll my eyes most of the time, but sometimes I just can't shut up. And this agressive, violent attitude as well. Why? I don't see anything wrong with a word used to describe one of my hobbies and I'm treated like I'm an evil, stupid person.

Why would I associate with this? As a black male my train of thought isn't even allowed to be this agressive and generally people that call themselves gamers hate me for the color of my skin.

Deleted member 10060

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actions speak louder than words and as I said, you're doing a great job at not addressing any of the issues. See the following:

I literally just gave you several receipts on why, and the average "gamer" is a grown ass man.

I'm talking about kids, people, who don't know why you dislike it. You can ignore them, but there's plenty of them out there.

Gaming is a hobby. Being a gamer mans you game as a hobby. All this shit you list up? It's got nothing to do with being a gamer. It's all about being a shitty person.

I have to go to work, so I'll have to take a break from this silly debate.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
So you gonna acknowledge these receipts or...? I'll take that as a no.

*Refuses to acknowledge the problems with gamer culture while saying this*

Congrats on being part of the problem with "gamers." Because acknowledging the problems with the culture sure is prevalent.

thumbsup_800x600.gif

It's like a perfect encapsulation.

"I don't give a shit about what you have to say, now how come you don't want to self identify with me"

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The word is now ruined, just like how red caps are ruined.
The few have tainted it for the many.

Let's just think up a new word instead, "gamer" was already being used in Australia to refer to gamblers anyway for some reason.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Because too many people on this site get too much up their asses about the gamer label.

God I'd want to vomit if I met someone in real life said "No I'm a gaming enthusiast." You wouldn't want to hang out around someone like that. Just accept being called a gamer and move on with life it doesn't actually even fucking matter.

If someone from work asks me if I'm a gamer, and they have, I just say yes and move on because if the average person asks you if you're a gamer that's typically a lead in for them because they want to ask you about a video games or curious if you play video games.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Splitting hairs.

Words have different contexts. If your grandma asks if you're a gamer, it probably just means she's trying out some hip new lingo and is asking if you play video games. If you're just talking with the grandmas of the world, yeah you're probably better off just letting it go. But when it comes to the actual discussion within the community, well, it's easy to see why people might quibble.

Everyone that's trying to act like it doesn't have some negative connotations (divorced of GG type stuff) knows what it means when someone says they for instance, don't like gamer marketing or gamer products. Dewritoes, RGB lights, mice that look like transformers, etc. It, at it's best, assumes a level of devotion, bad taste and immaturity in the term.

It's like the term jock. Now, as a general term, it just basically means athlete, or someone interested in athletics. But the behavior of the people that fit that term, whether in real life or in media was so awful that the term has also been loaded to mean things like being dumb, or being a bully, and just generally being an asshole. So many people still do the whole jock things these days, but nobody would use it to describe themselves. Now, I don't think jock was ever that widely used to self describe in the first place, so maybe not a perfect example.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There's nothing wrong with it for the people that want to do it. But I don't care I just like playing videogames.

Your question just proves my point. If I like videogames but I don't self identify and want to engage you'll just say I'm not a real gamer anyway and I won't care!
I never said that whatsoever. I just asked you a question.

If I met you in real life and you tell me you don't like talking about games, then I would say cool no problem. It's not like I'm going to force you to talk about games

bad poster

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Gaming is a hobby. Being a gamer mans you game as a hobby. All this shit you list up? It's got nothing to do with being a gamer. It's all about being a shitty person.

weird how there's this large contingent of people who "game as a hobby" who are also shitty people in relation to that hobby. what if there was a word to describe them

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You are aware that nobody outside of a small part of the internet gaming community actually knows what gamergate is, right? I'm sure there's plenty of drama in the other niche internet communities too. We just don't know about them because we aren't part of them.

Gaming community is the only thing that 8s directly relevant when discussing why and how gamergate lead to folks distancing themselves from the gamer term

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Magical Wasteland said:
Consider how successful and widespread "gamer" is as an identity despite the fact that it hardly means anything at all. The reason the gamer identity has become so laden with bad connotations– misogyny, Doritos– is because the identity itself doesn't really matter except for one crucial aspect: the buying of games. As long as "gamer" means someone who spends money, preferably a lot of money, on products that are produced by the game industry, the rest of that identity is left undefined. There's no incentive for the largest groups that do things around games to attempt to define gaming as, say, something that makes you interesting, or as a noble pursuit. Anything anyone knows about "gamers" is just that they purchase games.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the record, I would be much more inclined to be friends with a "dudebro" than a "gamer".

Status
Not open for further replies.