• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 10, 2018
Tbh they downgraded the lighting compared to Reach and especially Halo 3.

The lighting seemingly looks more fancy with tons of bright glowing stuff (that are just glows and not really actual light sources). But in reality the lighting model is less precise and less complex. Its how they managed to hit 720P. Also it skipped on any form of ambient occlusion and had far smaller play areas. It has a very distinctive and colourful art style even for a Halo game and they built their tech around it to showcase it best, more so than Bungie Halos, but it did cost them in some areas.

Also a personal opinion of mine and not particularly tech based...I think the skyboxes in 343 games have never been able to match the Bungie skyboxes. Reach had the best skyboxes, I still remember the skyboxes in that mission where you have to reach Pillar of Autumn. So vivid and dense. 343's skyboxes in comparison always looked too plain and faded out, especially with Halo 4.

I remember reading an article when Halo 4 came out saying that the lighting was like nothing done before in a halo game and was advanced for the time.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
I remember reading an article when Halo 4 came out saying that the lighting was like nothing done before in a halo game and was advanced for the time.

Well that article you read was wrong. Halo 4 while it looked good, cut in several major areas. Halo 3's amazing lighting model and water effects were gone, as well as the Skyboxes and Texture Quality/Detail Textures from Reach and H3.

Halo3Montage.jpg

OG 360 Images I took on launch day. Now with HDR and 4K Support on XBOX the game looks even better. (With the MCC updates we will get 60FPS 4K HDR).

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 4 (360)
PGR 4 (360)
Rallisport Challenge 2 (Xbox)
Ryse (X1)
RE4 (GC)

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was looking pretty damn sharp even on PS2.

Good call, Chaos Theory was incredible, But no way are those screenshots the PS2 version, the PS2/gamecube version is a very ambitious backport , however the difference from the PC/Xbox version of the game was pronounced.

WRRReaJ.png

uSmFBRW.png

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That screenshot not only it's emulated, it's also using a HD texture pack

This is how the Gold Leaf Galaxy actually looks

maxresdefault.jpg
This is a case where the lower resolution actually helps out. The ground texture actually looks like a pile of leaves, and not some weird carpet. That being said, Mario Galaxy does look incredible at higher resolutions.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Which one was that?
Because I can assure you the actual quality and precision of the lighting is quite a bit inferior to Halo Reach and especially Halo 3. Halo 3 used a dual framebuffer set up to hit a really high precision level that was never really seen in any game last gen again.
Halo 4 also cut back on lots of dynamic light sources like the bullets from the needler and plasma pistols were no longer lightsources.

The other things Halo 4 cut back on compared to previous entry:
1) High quality water shaders and physics
2) Motion Blur
3) Particle effects

Halo 4 has a lot of tech improvements, and it builds the game around those improvements and the art style helps to bring out those improvements even further. But at the same time, in a lot of other way, it is technically inferior to the previous entry.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was looking pretty damn sharp even on PS2.

splinter-cell-chaos-theory-screenshot-03.jpg

splinter-cell-chaos-theory-screenshot-04.jpg
You should play the Xbox version. The ps2 version seems the 3DS port in comparison. Tons of loading, open areas completely compromised and reduced in linear corridors. And normal/bump mapping obviously cut off. I don't blame the ancient ps2 of course. With such ram it wasn't possible otherwise.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
You should play the Xbox version. The ps2 version seems the 3DS port in comparison. Tons of loading, open areas completely compromised and reduced in linear corridors. And normal/bump mapping totally out of the question. I don't blame the ancient ps2 of course. With such ram it was possible otherwise.
Those are PC screenshots which was on par if not better than Xbox version.

But yes PS2 version looked good, but didn't even come close to the Xbox version. I think Chaos Theory was also one of the first games to use HDR lighting back in the day.

OP
OP
boi

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Good call, Chaos Theory was incredible, But no way are those screenshots the PS2 version, the PS2/gamecube version is a very ambitious backport , however the difference from the PC/Xbox version of the game was pronounced.

WRRReaJ.png

uSmFBRW.png
These comparison shots blow my mind. I didnt know they had to cut so much to get it running on a PS2.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
You should play the Xbox version. The ps2 version seems the 3DS port in comparison. Tons of loading, open areas completely compromised and reduced in linear corridors. And normal/bump mapping obviously cut off. I don't blame the ancient ps2 of course. With such ram it wasn't possible otherwise.

I atucally played both PS2 and PC versions of the game, I mostly remember the lightning and models being far superior on PC but other than that couldn't tell much difference, well, thats probably because of my TV back in the day. Great looking game nonetheless.

And yeah, those pics are Xbox / PC, I just google searched it up.

Heh, i see a lot of people posting some very obvious examples, but i bet you never knew of this...

Seed. A (sadly never finished) shooter made by Humansoft between 1998-2000 that was going to be one of the first shooters that would incorporate proper platforming ala Mario 64.

What is damn interesting is that this game had an engine (Called the Seed Engine, obviously), which was the very first title to incorporate those fancy Doom 3 stencil shadows and dynamic lighting..... in 1999. 5 years before stencil shadows (Not unlike those shadows that Quake 3 incorporated in the same year!) actually became a thing. And it did not require shader based hardware to do it, either - This could run as a software renderer, or you could use OpenGL. I have the demo of this and the notes detail it could run like this with Voodoo 1 t/m 3, Riva TNT, TNT2, Matrox G400.

There is barely any footage of this on YT, but i found a link that shows some proper gameplay. If it does not start at the time ive set, its at the 9.15 mark.

Screens and info: http://web.archive.org/web/19981205141356/http://www.seedgame.com/

This game did things in 1998-2000 on a technical level you wouldn't see till shader based hardware became a thing. This game not only did it in software, but also on rather humble 3D hardware of the time. Truly, a technical masterpiece.

(I should note, that they are actually calling the developer since he left his phone number in the screen. You don't expect that a phonenumber from 1999 actually still works, but they actually will get in contact with him..)

Two more obvious ones:

Shattered Horizon, and Outcast. The latter, similar to Seed, incorporated a lot of effects you would not see for years later through its Paradise Engine. It runs a software renderer that does voxels on the landscape, but polygons for the characters, and features:
  • Depth of field
  • Bloom
  • Lensflares
  • Soft shadows
  • Water ripples
Among others. The OG Outcast in high res wouldn't look out of place on Xbox 360. More info: http://francksauer.com/index.php/15-games/published-games/47-outcast-pc

Another mention should go to Transformers Armada: Prelude to Energon for PlayStation 2. The open world, forest rendering was insane to boot. Melbourne House did some black magic on the PS2 (I think this is only possible due to the massive bandwidth that the PS2 possessed)

transformersps2_043004_012-817332_640w.jpg

transformersarmada_010504_001-661354_640w.jpg

transformersarmada_010504_002-661355_640w.jpg

Last edited:

Quakeguy

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Beyond two souls could have been released today, and no one would have complained about the graphics.

Feb 10, 2018
Which one was that?
Because I can assure you the actual quality and precision of the lighting is quite a bit inferior to Halo Reach and especially Halo 3. Halo 3 used a dual framebuffer set up to hit a really high precision level that was never really seen in any game last gen again.
Halo 4 also cut back on lots of dynamic light sources like the bullets from the needler and plasma pistols were no longer lightsources.

2) Motion Blur
3) Particle effects

Halo 4 has a lot of tech improvements, and it builds the game around those improvements and the art style helps to bring out those improvements even further. But at the same time, in a lot of other way, it is technically inferior to the previous entry.
kotaku.com/5957330/halo-4-reviewers-all-glad-that-the-fights-not-finished-yet

kotaku said:
Halo 4 comes out flexing like the Hulkster, showing off a drastically improved lighting engine

that's not the article I remember it from, I actually remember it from an interview in EDGE magazine.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Which one was that?

2) Motion Blur
3) Particle effects

Halo 4 cuts back on the number of dynamic lights and on water effects, but its lighting and materials are miles ahead of Halo 3. And no, Halo 3's dual buffers are not advanced, they are an older, less efficient solution for HDR, which sure was perfected during last gen.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Hitman Absolution is always my goto answer for this. It even looks pretty good on 360. Blood money looks like a whole other gen (even if that was a cross gen game).
Some pc pics
PC_1080p_003.png

Hitman-Absolution-2012-PC.jpg

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
These comparison shots blow my mind. I didnt know they had to cut so much to get it running on a PS2.

It probably ran a different engine also, the PS2 flat out wasn't capable of some of the stuff that was going on in the game. Normal Mapping and Parralax mapping are the things that are immediately obvious, but most of the geometry in the game is entirely different too and the lighting systems are clearly less sophisticated.

The PS3 HD remasters were based on the Xbox/PC version of the game

I actually think Splinter Cell Blacklist is also a super impressive last gen game and was one of those great end of gen examples.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Which one was that?

2) Motion Blur
3) Particle effects

I remember reading this as well. Probably in EGM.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I am always wary of "great graphics" that look beyond a consoles power because there has to have been a trade off in the game simulation. I would 100x rather have a better game over graphics.

Under the criteria of the game needing to look next-gen with interactive gameplay, I guess Halo 4?

Crysis
crysis64-2014-02-02-16-20-13-09.jpg

How was this not mentioned yet?
Unless thats just a different TOD, that's not vanilla Crysis. This is how it looks vanilla:

crysis64_2016_11_11_0l1sf4.jpg

Doom 3 is a good one. played it for the first time in 2012 or so and thought "yeah... this cannot be an 8 year old game". granted it was the BFG edition but it's not like that was lightyears ahead of what the original game pulled off in 2004
All Doom 3 pulled off was stencil volumes and normal mapping. Seed already did this years prior. Hell, Deus Ex: Invisible War did that before Doom 3. Even the pre-release shots of New World Order (As Decay) did these, back in 2000/2001.

Tagging Dark1x so he is aware of Seed because i feel he needs to know of this. (See my older post Dark!)

The original Chronicles of Riddick game was absolutely incredible looking on the Xbox. It looked better than most 360 launch games.
Back then you had Perfect Dark Zero, Quake 4, and Far Cry Instincts: Predator. Did it really look that much better? Just because it had a uniform shadowing system does not mean it significantly outperformed these titles on looks in games. Quake 4 even runs on the same engine. Not talking performance here, Quake 4 only used one PPE core.

Flatout: Head On (PSP)

latest

To me, I don't consider it a PSP game, even to this day; it's more like a PS3 game or if it's like Sony make PS3 Portable in the last gen and this game uses the full potential power of the console.. The graphics look incredible on PSP with the full detail of tracks, vehicle models, shadows, reflection, bloom and sun rays...

Besides graphics, this game has impressive technical stuff that happen on fly; a lot of objects/props in track to run over, the flying debris, dirt and effects, destruction of the vehicles with detachable parts, and ragdoll in the gameplay.. ..
You can't be serious. You think that looks like a title that could run on PS3? I need a video for that. With that logic, Burnout Dominator on PS2 (2007) would fit aswell since it also had everything you are mentioning.

Metal Gear Solid 3 on PS2 was better looking than most Xbox 360 launch titles.
People really have rose-tinted glasses. MGS3 on PS2 is a very solid (Heh) title by any means, but better looking than most Xbox 360 launch titles? Yeah, no. Technically speaking not at all. You must be referring to artstyle. And although i can't see it, i will give you the benefit of the doubt on that one.

ss_1e3b0f0436bed289c0b503766c2484520cf67667.1920x1080.jpg

Metro: Last Light (2013) for PS3/360/PC. Could've easily passed for a current-gen title.
Hmm, not so strange then that just a year later the game came to PS4/XBO as Metro Redux.

Why Singularity, to be precise? Its a UE3 game. What did Raven Soft do to this engine that made it look like it would more belong on PS4/XBO? I would rather put that to Bioshock Infinite if we go UE3 based titles, but that did get a port to those platforms.

Every original Xbox game that really took advantage of the hardware would count since the first Xbox, like the Neo Geo, was basically a next gen system released early. It had all the basics that games use today. It could do normal mapped games, it had pixel shaders, and so on. All you really got out of the Xbox 360 was higher resolutions and clockspeed. In terms of raw feature sets, hardware hasn't even really changed much since the first Xbox.
Useless trivia: Shrek on Xbox does deferred rendering, as one of the first games to do so. The NV2A was more a cross between Geforce 3 and Geforce 4. Amazing stuff for its time. It still bums me out that they abandoned the platform so quickly after X360 was released - OG Xbox could have been a great entry-level console against the Wii.

The first Xbox is an interesting console in that it's the last console released that was significantly more powerful for running video games than the average gaming PC. Think about it. It was basically a machine with a Geforce 3 in 2001. The Geforce 3 was bleeding edge computer hardware in 2001.
I would disagree considering the Xbox 360 had a GPU fastly more modern than anything else on the PC market at the time. Hell, Rise of the Tomb Raider runs on it, and thats a 2015 title. Whilst OG Xbox had great strides (The first 720p console after all), the X360 really knocked it out of the park in terms of feature set.

Still wondering how Sony managed to release Knack 2 on such weak hardware .Looks like a PS6 launch title

Life Of Black Tiger.
These two posts are terribly good examples of either insane hyperbole and inane attempt at being ''funny''. This is the exact kind of poor drive-by that is exactly that, poor. Not being here to have a meaningful discussion, but lets say something hyperbolish or try to be funny, except you ain't having the talent for that, so you should refrain from attempting it.

Meh, its all postprocessing effects and very limited characters and objects on screen at once. ZombiU looks really good at times for the same reason, but also becomes very samey looking after a while.
The scenery in The Order 1886 is damn CGI from a few years ago, even regardless of postprocessing. Hell, the game demonstrates probably the best singular use of PBR in a video game.

I'd say that Star Ocean 4 did a better job of hitting above its generation.
The game was using lighting techniques that pretty much nobody else was touching, at least certainly not on console at the time.
It released on console though.. what lighting techniques do you refer to?

Wreckless: The Yakuza Mission was next gen when it was released in 2002 for XBOX.

But nothing, and I said NOTHING can compete with the sequel, Double S.T.E.A.L: The Second Clash released only in Japan.
Better graphics, effects, illumination, the best looking driving game on that gen. But, most important, it could run a (sub) 720p on the original XBOX, a true next gen game before the next gen.
Original XBOX was an hell of a console back in the day, it felt like you had a ONE X just a year after the original PS4 release.

Am i missing a PS360 joke or? How is sub 720p impressive for an OG Xbox title when its prequel could run at 720p?

I do have to appreciate this post for making me aware of this game, i have something to watch tonight :)

This game still looks better than most games what almost 10 years later !
It also (likely) isnt the vanilla version that is shown here. Through experience i have learned with Crysis: Always doubt any shot that is shown as ''vanilla''. Hence why i showed a true vanilla shot. There is a stark difference. Now, it might very well be its just a TOD change, but the game also looks sharper than usual, which suggests a texture upgrade mod.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 4 cuts back on the number of dynamic lights and on water effects, but its lighting and materials are miles ahead of Halo 3. And no, Halo 3's dual buffers are not advanced, they are an older, less efficient solution for HDR, which sure was perfected during last gen.
Obviously the materials are superior. I never made any claims that Halo 4 was a cut back in every area. Infact I specifically said Halo 4 improves on a lot of areas technically but it also cuts back in a good few. But really a lot of improvements in Halo 4 came from smarter asset creation utilising the more modern methods of content creation rather than simply tech upgrades.

I fully disagree that the HDR solution in Halo 4 is in any way superior or even equal to Halo 3's. Not with that amount of bloom clamping and white/black crushes. The dual buffer HDR solution despite being not completely efficient was still more precise than anything I saw in Halo 4.

Can you give me any other example of HDR from last gen which was more precise since you claim it was perfected last gen. The Luv variation we saw in GoW and and ND games were not exactly more precise. Majority of the 360 titles that had HDR did 7e3(FP10) due to its eDRAM setup sitting well with the me or requirement and its support for alpha blending, but it was never as precise. Check out this post from a conversation I remember from Beyond3D and also take a look by post made by Sebbi what he mentioned how the 7e3 format (the most common HDR format on Xbox 360 due to it's eDRAM setup) barely has enough precise even on modern hardware.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back then you had Perfect Dark Zero, Quake 4, and Far Cry Instincts: Predator. Did it really look that much better? Just because it had a uniform shadowing system does not mean it significantly outperformed these titles on looks in games. Quake 4 even runs on the same engine. Not talking performance here, Quake 4 only used one PPE core.

Easily. It's not just the tech, its how you use it in junction to things like your art style and PD0 might be graphically doing more but its a ugly game to me.

Last edited:

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
This game still looks better than most games what almost 10 years later !

The recommended specs for this game were a Core 2 Duo and a GeForce 8800, and even at those specs you could not max out the settings in the game. The game really was made for a whole generation of PC hardware that didn't really exist in 2007.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I atucally played both PS2 and PC versions of the game, I mostly remember the lightning and models being far superior on PC but other than that couldn't tell much difference, well, thats probably because of my TV back in the day. Great looking game nonetheless.

And yeah, those pics are Xbox / PC, I just google searched it up.
Eh. The areas are significantly compromised on ps2. Like more linear corridors than the others versions more open to different gameplay approach. There were like 2-3 loading screens in a single level in ps2 compared the pc/xbox version.

Last edited:

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yoshi's Island looks more impressive than most (if not all) 5th gen 2D games.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was released after Super Mario World, even.

Uh, a lot of NES games were released after SMW. The NES continued for many years after the SNES' release.

Kirby's Adventure is also an amazing post-SNES NES game. Apart from the frequent slowdowns it feels like you're playing a SNES game.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Skip to 1h, 25min and 34 seconds. If that game had come out on the XBOX 360 with high resolution textures like in the HD mod and all the effects of the Gamecube or Wii versions (That only the HD Texture mod is finally restoring to the PC version) it would have been better looking than Gears of War. The rain scene certainly looks better, and so does the art in general. The detail and scope of the environments is insane, there's barely any waiting from loading, the lighting and effects are beautiful...

Easily. It's not just the tech, its how you use it in junction to things like your art style and PD0 might be graphically doing more but its a ugly game to me.
That still leaves two titles you have not addressed. Stencil volumes aren't that special, and Doom 3's depiction of hell was, imo, better pulled by Painkiller.

YEP! That incredibly crisp and starkly coloured world will never look dated to me. It's just too godamn beautiful.
Thank Beast Global Illumination for it, baking tech. :)

No, i think you just missed Wreckless 1 doesn't run at 720p at all, and how many xbox 1 titles could ran at 720p without having a sub par graphics.
I could have sworn the original Wreckless was 720p :/
Still, the question remains. How is its sequel running at ''sub'' 720p impressive, like you imply?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That still leaves two titles you have not addressed. Stencil volumes aren't that special, and Doom 3's depiction of hell was, imo, better pulled by Painkiller.

Thank Beast Global Illumination for it, baking tech. :)

I could have sworn the original Wreckless was 720p :/
Still, the question remains. How is its sequel running at ''sub'' 720p impressive, like you imply?

Doom? I was talking about the Chronicles of Riddick

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i got my head garbled with the poster just above you in my original reply that was talking about Doom 3, sorry. Regardless, most of the comment still stances however.
Assault on Dark Athena still looks good though.

I take art style into account as well as Far Cry does some impressive visuals but I'm not a huge fan of the art style even if they do lush jungles great.