• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El Sloth

Oct 26, 2017
Looking for games that have a similar game play loop of "running a shop - dungeon dive for loot - back to running shop". I thought this would be pretty common, but the games I keep finding just focus on the shop/economic side of things. Which is fine, just not what I'm itching for right now. Also fine if they're something like Cult of the Lamb where you have a central hub that you're coming back to manage and upgrade in between runs.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/606150/Moonlighter/

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/Recettear_An_Item_Shops_Tale/

Have any good recommendations?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if the dungeon-crawling side is active enough for you (it's very simple and streamlined) but Potionomics could be up your alley:

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1874490/Potionomics/

But it's kind of tough finding games similar to Recettear. Way back when I played it and was looking for more like it, the suggestion I got was Atelier Rorona as one of the very few games doing anything remotely similar. I'd actually say it's not that similar (you don't run a shop, for starters) but the Atelier franchise in general IS really really good at scratching a very particular itch, and the dungeon dives to grab ingredients that you then do stuff with in another part of the game is fundamental. So maybe worth a look? My recommendation if you're new to the franchise is to pick the start of any sub-series, which means Rorona, Ayesha, Sophie or Ryza. Ryza's the newest one.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121560/Atelier_Ryza_Ever_Darkness__the_Secret_Hideout/

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Keep an eye out for Haunted Chocolatier, the next game from Stardew Valley's developer. It's going to be that.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I strongly endorse Potionomics. The developer just announced a big update for later this year that adds voice acting and new modes which I say maybe wait for.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
the suggestion I got was Atelier Rorona as one of the very few games doing anything remotely similar. I'd actually say it's not that similar (you don't run a shop, for starters)
I mean... Rorona is the only one I've played but you're definitely running a shop in it. You've got a monthly request you need to fulfill but if I recall you also make other things for side quests and npc stuff. But characters aren't actively coming in to buy things you put up for sale so I guess it might not scratch the exact itch, but it's more like you just take custom jobs only lol

Atelier IS probably at least a little close to what OP wants. But a giant "Very Anime" warning sign needs to be set up alongside the recommendation. It's sense of humor is also... ehhhhh.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... Rorona is the only one I've played but you're definitely running a shop in it. You've got a monthly request you need to fulfill but if I recall you also make other things for side quests and npc stuff. But characters aren't actively coming in to buy things you put up for sale so I guess it might not scratch the exact itch, but it's more like you just take custom jobs only lol

Atelier IS probably at least a little close to what OP wants. But a giant "Very Anime" warning sign needs to be set up alongside the recommendation. It's sense of humor is also... ehhhhh.

Oh yeah, I guess technically it is a (work)shop, lol. I kind of forgot that the commissions from the kingdom and townsfolk basically mean you're running a business, and that aspect continues in later games as well. But yeah, there's no explicit inventory or shop-organizing system, and you don't sell anything to or haggle with walk-in customers.

Regarding the sense of humor, the warning is valid. If that is a problem for anyone I highly recommend the Dusk subseries (Ayesha, Escha & Logy and Shallie), where fanservice of the risque kind is essentially non-existent and the humor is much more wholesome. The same is true to lesser degrees in the later series as well. Arland's really the only one where the humour can be kind of sketchy (though other people like it because the comedy is more in your face and the characters more lively as a result).

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Oh yeah, I guess technically it is a (work)shop, lol. I kind of forgot that the commissions from the kingdom and townsfolk basically mean you're running a business, and that aspect continues in later games as well. But yeah, there's no explicit inventory or shop-organizing system, and you don't sell anything to or haggle with walk-in customers.

Regarding the sense of humor, the warning is valid. If that is a problem for anyone I highly recommend the Dusk subseries (Ayesha, Escha & Logy and Shallie), where fanservice of the risque kind is essentially non-existent and the humor is much more wholesome. The same is true to lesser degrees in the later series as well. Arland's really the only one where the humour can be kind of sketchy (though other people like it because the comedy is more in your face and the characters more lively as a result).
Yeah, I've gotta play the Dusk trilogy. From what I've seen of it I think I'd like it's vibe a lot more than I did Rorona. Though I do know the series loses it's time management aspect at some point and that's kind of a bummer for me. I liked that stuff.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm convinced there was a Blacksmithing game that came out recently with a similar premise but for the life of me I can't find it.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
It's not what the whole game is about but Kynseed has you owning and running shops. Hire staff, set opening hours, keep things stocked etc.

It's a great game. The studio was founded by ex-Lionhead devs and you can definitely tell by the writing and general flavour of the world.

store.steampowered.com

Kynseed on Steam

Embark on a lifetime of adventure in a beautiful world of creativity and intrigue. Raise a family, customise your farm, run a business, craft items, and battle some marvellously malevolent monsters.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've gotta play the Dusk trilogy. From what I've seen of it I think I'd like it's vibe a lot more than I did Rorona. Though I do know the series loses it's time management aspect at some point and that's kind of a bummer for me. I liked that stuff.

Two of the three games in the Dusk trilogy have time management, so you're good there. Escha & Logy is actually really similar to Rorona in that respect: it's a series of three-month assignments.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Are you thinking of While the Iron's Hot?

This is the one! Though, watching the trailer back it's perhaps heavier in the blacksmithing and town building than adventure, but it seems similar to OPs question.

store.steampowered.com

While the Iron's Hot on Steam

Reforge a blacksmith’s village on an isle of the land’s finest artisans! Step into the boots of an expert smith for a crafty adventure filled with mystery and charm. Explore the land of Ellian, and prove that a hammer, anvil, and your wits can overcome any challenge.