Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Half-Life 1 (PS2) /starts fight.

For serious though, the Half-Life 1 port on PS2 had redone graphics, keyboard and mouse support, split screen versus and an entire other split screen coop campaign. It also ran somewhere between like 40-60FPS, from what I can tell.

Google images turns up this?:
latest

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall many PC games being better on console. Arcades there seem to be quite a few. Mainly in terms of games having more content, and maybe being a little bit easier.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Diablo 3 is the first to come to mind. The roll feel great and the game feels great on a controller. It's how I'd want to play Diablo 4.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I forgot the title but wasnt there a saturn fps where the pc version wasnt anything to write home about as opposed to the console version

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's debate as to whether TMNT2 and 4 are better on arcade or console. I can't remember if TMNT2 added anything on NES but 4 at least had more levels.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017

For serious though, the Half-Life 1 port on PS2 had redone graphics, keyboard and mouse support, split screen versus and an entire other split screen coop campaign. It also ran somewhere between like 40-60FPS, from what I can tell.

latest

same exact HD pack came to PC via Blue Shift

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I forgot the title but wasnt there a saturn fps where the pc version wasnt anything to write home about as opposed to the console version

Exhumed/Powerslave? I never played it but always wanted to.

NFS Hot Pursuit 2 had the best version on PS2 if I recall correctly, but that didn't originate on PC.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like Powerslave/Exhumed.

NES gets discussed a lot but the SMS also has a bunch that are arguably better than arcade or computer versions (while still being roughly the same game):

Golvellius - Notably graphically enhanced over the MSX version. It borderlines on being a different game with the layouts, though.

California Games - Better graphics than on C64 although the music isn't as well made. In some ways the Amiga, Genesis, and Lynx versions are more advanced but they either screw up the controls in some events or are missing events entirely.

Choplifter - Faster and smoother controlling than the arcade although downgraded visually.

Montezuma's Revenge - Enhanced graphics and more forgiving jumps. I prefer the art style and physics of the Atari 8-bit original but many consider the SMS version the best.

Wonder Boy in Monster Land - I think the jump control feels better on SMS.

Impossible Mission - More detailed graphics but it's missing some cool voices.

Bubble Bobble - It plays just as good as the arcade and has more content plus password save. But the audio's pretty bad in this port.

Ultima IV - Some dialogue complexity is lost but the core game is intact and the streamlined controls work well. And some prefer that it ditched the first-person segments.

Shinobi - Some prefer the new controls, added life bar, and power ups.

Time Soldiers - Simplified controls but it's a far less frustrating game for difficulty.

Nov 2, 2017
I have a feeling a lot of NES games are going to show up in this thread, but the notion will be dubious when a lot of them are really completely different games from the ground up as at the time developers shifted from trying to approximate 1:1 arcade ports and instead design something better suited for the hardware and as a home experience.

Contra was a straight arcade ports with some significant tweaks though, and popular consensus is that the NES version is a better experience.
I tend to lean pretty hard into the NES>arcade thinking but mostly for very personal preference re

Love so many of the Capcom and Konami games (Jackal, Commando, Gun.Smoke, 1942/43, Rush N Attack) on the NES > arcade. Sometimes the game was customized a bit more to the console experience; other times, the game is just easier/more user friendly in a good way for me (Commando, Trojan).

Been thinking about PC to console; only example that comes to mind is Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. The N64 Blockbuster exclusive added the Zelda-like z-targeting and other qol improvements.

Edit: I also may prefer the 2600 version of Defender to the arcade. Easier to control and nostalgia, I'm sure.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Marvel v Capcom 1 is better on Dreamcast than any other platform:

- Arcade perfect
- Unlockable Onslaught
- Saved unlockable characters to VMU memory so that you didn't have to memorize the code at the character select screen
- Cross Fever Mode, which allowed for 4 people to play multiplayer with every player being assigned a character and teaming up in 2 on 2 matches.

Yeah there's debate as to whether TMNT2 and 4 are better on arcade or console. I can't remember if TMNT2 added anything on NES but 4 at least had more levels.
TMNT2 had new levels on NES, IIRC.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Ninja gaiden
Strider ( yes strider)

The arcade version of Ninja Gaiden was not even remotely similar to the console version. They were so different, that they only shared the name, so does it even count, especially when they were basically in two different genres?

Also, the arcade (and Mega Drive) versions of Strider are way better than the NES version, so I have no clue why you listed it.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't personally played either version, but I've largely heard that the OG Xbox version of Splinter Cell Double Agent is superior to the 360/PC version.

It's apparently a much more direct sequel to Chaos Theory at least in terms of gameplay and levels.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dreamcast: The Thread

A bunch have already been mentioned. I remember a bunch of the Midway arcade racers running great and having a ton of extra content on the Dreamcast. I played a ton of Rush 2049, they added a bunch of new maps, multiplayer modes, and a weird glider button that popped wings out of your car.

I think a few of the Midway arcade ports around the time were like this, same game with more content on console.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

latest

PC has mods. Counter-Strike was the biggest MP game of all time during its peak. I'd think the PC version wins just based on that alone.

For me I like the NES version of Maniac Mansion over the PC version. Better graphics and the soundtrack.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
In my mind at least, Strider was way better on Genesis than the arcade but that's really just a hazy recollection.

Nooope.

An excellent conversion, yet still inferior to the original one.

Street Fighter Ex Plus Alpha is a very good example, so much better than the arcade counterpart.

Also, Crazy Taxi on Dreamcast was basically arcade-perfect and included lots of new content.

Raystorm was MUCH better in the home versions than the arcade one.

In general I disagree on the NES games, as in most parts they are reworking of the arcade games and NOT conversions.

_Garret_

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2020
NOW PC has mods. Back then, when the PS2 version was released, they were a minor thing.

No they werent. Mods arent a new concept. Even then, without mods. PC is still the definitive game based on mouse and keyboard, higher resolutions and higher framerate. The improved character models dont upset this. And even so, those improvements came with blueshift on pc as well.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
No they werent. Mods arent a new concept. Even then, without mods. PC is still the definitive game based on mouse and keyboard, higher resolutions and higher framerate. The improved character models dont upset this. And even so, those improvements came with blueshift on pc as well.

This is a bit of a drastic point of view.

I repeat: back then (2001) PC Mods weren't that common and the PS2 version of Half Life was quite an improvement over the original one in terms of contents and - partially - in terms of graphics (played both).

Also, Half Life: Decay was exclusive to PS2.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Turtles in Time:

The enemy AI was a lot different in the arcade, generally more prone to ganging up on the player.

Meanwhile, the attack methods that the player has are far more controlled in the SNES version. There's a method to deliberately throwing enemies, which is showcased in the fight where Shredder is between the Turtles and the camera and the player throw enemies into him. In the arcade, it's completely random.

There's a lot of reason to argue that the SNES version is superior in those mechanics.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, a lot of Capcom fighting games were drastically expanded in their ports. The Japanese version of Rival Schools had a simulation mode.

_Garret_

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2020
This is a bit of a drastic point of view.

I repeat: back then (2001) PC Mods weren't that common and the PS2 version of Half Life was quite an improvement over the original one in terms of contents and - partially - in terms of graphics (played both).

Also, Half Life: Decay was exclusive to PS2.

My man, mods werent minor. Team Fortress is a Quake mod from 1996 that featured the first location based damage in fps history. Thats 1996. Counter Strike is from 1999. Half Life had numerous singleplayer mods as well like the classic They Hunger. Mods werent new nor small in the eve of 2002 when ps2 HL came out.

As i said, ps2 HL has better character models. Improvements which came to PC via Blue Shift BEFORE the console HL came out. So, there are no graphical improvements in the ps2, because they were on PC before it. And repeating, mouse and keyboard. Better resolution. Better framerate.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
same exact HD pack came to PC via Blue Shift

The HD pack for PC is based on the unreleased Dreamcast version, which was the origin of the development of Blue Shift. The PS2 character models have a higher poly count, which was a sore point for me when I saw the comparison images in GameFan magazine as a Dreamcast fanboy. I remember a two page spread with comparisons of character models across the three platforms. There are unofficial mods though that add the PS2 character models for PC.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
where does this idea of Ninja Gaiden on NES being better than the arcade one?

It's effectively a different game. The NES wouldn't even be capable of running the original arcade game. Ninja Gaiden arcade is basically the first "brutal" difficulty action/beat em up game.

Last edited:

_Garret_

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 18, 2020
Yes, and that was a total conversion, just like Action Half-Life and They Hunger.

What I mean is that game-mods were not that common among users in 2001, so saying that contents could be "modded" in the game to justify the PC was better is not a good argument back then.

Dude, those were mods. I seriously have no idea why you keep pushing this incorrect stance. Moding has existed sice computers existed. If you read Masters of Doom, Romero and Carmack and all the guys were modding their games in the early 80;s. Every game where they didnt like something, they modded it.

Modding in the 90's was absolutely huge and fundamental. There exists no timeline where mods were small or niche. Especially in damn 2002 !!!

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine looked better on PC, but played better on N64. On PC it had tank controls, the N64 version had a more modern control setup inspired by OoT.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
NOW PC has mods. Back then, when the PS2 version was released, they were a minor thing.

What? The mod scene on PC has been huge since atleast 1993's Doom.

Yes, and that was a total conversion, just like Action Half-Life and They Hunger.

What I mean is that game-mods were not that common among users in 2001, so saying that contents could be "modded" in the game to justify the PC was better is not a good argument back then.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Check out all the Doom and Quake mods from the 90s.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to prefer home ports of arcade games in general even if the graphics aren't perfect just because they often come with extras. And then I'm disappointed with later more arcade perfect releases as they are just an emulation of a rom and missing all that.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
You have no idea what you are talking about. Check out all the Doom and Quake mods from the 90s.

And their usage - AGAIN - was not spread among users back then.

When you had to have:
- An internet connection (NOT a given in 2001...)
- Tools to manage the mods
- Way to find-download the mods.
- Generally you had-to-know-whate-you-were-doing when installing a mod (and AGAIN, I'm not talking about WADS or total conversion: I'm talking about game-changing mods)

Today in Steam you install/enable a MOD with a click, back then they were for hardcore PC users, NOT mainsteam things.

So, if I say that game XX on console had this extra content, in the vein of this thread, and you reply to me "There were mods", you are simply derailing the thread and projecting on the PC user base of 2001 something that was NOT wide-spread.

Is that really a difficult concept to understand?

Also if I cite a console-specific feature and you say "Meh, yeah, someone modded it in on PC two years later", then this is NOT what this thread is about.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017

When you had to have:
- Generally you had-to-know-whate-you-were-doing when installing a mod (and AGAIN, I'm not talking about WADS or total conversion: I'm talking about game-changing mods)

Today in Steam you install/enable a MOD with a click, back then they were for hardcore PC users, NOT mainsteam things.

So, if I say that game XX on console had this extra content, in the vein of this thread, and you reply to me "There were mods", you are simply derailing the thread and projecting on the PC user base of 2001 something that was NOT wide-spread.

Also if I cite a console-specific feature and you say "Meh, yeah, someone modded it in on PC two years later", then this is NOT what this thread is about.

You are on some crazy revisionist history stuff. Doom and Quake mods were huge and spread through all sorts of channels from BBS, to IRC, to NNTP and just the internet in general. It's pretty obvious you weren't around on PC back then if you missed all of it. You can't seriously think that PC enthusiasts weren't on the internet long before 2001. I had broadband through comcast in late 1997 and used dialup to log into BBS since the early 80s.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
I see no one has said it so:

ogimage.png

Sega's 2016-2017 release of Future Tone on the PS4 was a giant PD game with over 200+ songs, 100s of modules , and other fun stuff. Funny part is that the game was actually an arcade port of the original 2010 Project Diva Arcade release which had a sequel in 2013 under Project Diva Arcade Future Tone. The PS4 port included 127 songs from the Project Diva series and 95 songs from the Project Mirai series and other titles. With the release came upgrades to 4K resolution and up 60FPS. It truly is the best version of the game and a joy to play.

Jul 17, 2018

When you had to have:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
You are on some crazy revisionist history stuff. Doom and Quake mods were huge and spread through all sorts of channels from BBS, to IRC, to NNTP and just the internet in general. It's pretty obvious you weren't around on PC back then if you missed all of it. You can't seriously think that PC enthusiasts weren't on the internet long before 2001. I had broadband through comcast in late 1997 and used dialup to log into BBS since the early 80s.

I was around back then, I went online first time on a C64, and I can assure you that among all the people I know that played on PC back then I was the only one applying mods.

They were NOT a mainstream thing and saying otherwise is the REAL revisionism.