Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Souls games and Armored Core 6 do not count. The NG+ in AC6 has a slightly expanded story but it's not woven into the narrative, and none of the souls games do so either.

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
Dragon's Dogma is pinnacle from what comes to mind.

For stuff like Nier and Armored Core, does it actually count if the backhalf of the plot is there? Since technically the game isn't over. But I don't make the rules.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The Souls trilogy is literally about repeating unending cycles unless you pick a single specific ending in each game. They absolutely count.
Once you beat an ending in a souls game and enter NG+, the world and story is reset to as if it's your first run through it. None of the games contextualize NG+ into the story or world.

Yes if you choose to link the fire in DS1 and jump into DS3, you're going into the next "cycle" but that's not NG+

Yakumo Fuji

Apr 22, 2019
Into The Breach.

The storyline, and indeed an integral gameplay mechanic, spins the perfect narrative reason for a new game as you venture into a new timeline to protect them from the same fate.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Also does Bravely Default 1 count
it's not new game plus officially, but the game makes you replay it much to the disappointment of millions
I wouldn't count it personally, but Bravely Second, for sure.

New Game+ is literally a requirement for beating the game. At a some point in the story, you'll reach an end state, the titular End Layer, where you are unable to progress the story any further, but you'll also unlock New Game +. There's a certain action you're supposed to take in the beginning of NG+ that makes the game deviate from the regular story path, but narratively the normal loop happens hundreds or thousands of times before the player's action makes the characters remember what happened last time and makes the story deviate. If the player fails to do the thing they're supposed to, you're stuck on the normal story path doing a regular New Game+.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Ghosts 'n Goblins basically requires you to beat the game twice (with second time on harder difficulty I believe) to reach the ending.

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
All i know is that NG+ is pretty popular and could be even more popular if devs gave a shit beyond everyone having more health and do more damage.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
7PxHVp3tCaQQkVeHalUtPcND.png

Halfway through the game you defeat the big bad, after he has destroyed the world and killed off one of your party members.

Main character goes back in time to the end of Act 1 with all their stats to stop the world-ending incident and reform their party.

This also splits the timeline leading to Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest III

Pixelpusher

Mar 25, 2022
Starfield got a lot wrong in execution, but I would say it take the top spot for +NG as a narrative. Its literally essential to the plot.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
For the people that are saying Dragons Dogma.. I'm guessing it's for the first game? I didn't play the first game and just finished the second game with all the achievements. Does the second game also have interesting reasons to jump in to NG+, narrative wise?

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
For the people that are saying Dragons Dogma.. I'm guessing it's for the first game? I didn't play the first game and just finished the second game with all the achievements. Does the second game also have interesting reasons to jump in to NG+, narrative wise?
No, because the true ending in DD2 is about breaking the cycle. In DD1
you find out Arisen who defeat the dragon face the Seneschal (a sort of god-like being), and if they lose to them they become the next dragon, and if they defeat them they take their place. If you play a NG+ (offline) and get to the Seneschal again, the final boss will be your character from the previous playthrough.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
Does Fez count? "Finishing" the game is only really the halfway mark.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
you find out Arisen who defeat the dragon face the Seneschal (a sort of god-like being), and if they lose to them they become the next dragon, and if they defeat them they take their place. If you play a NG+ (offline) and get to the Seneschal again, the final boss will be your character from the previous playthrough.

And the first time you beat the game, the Seneschal is the Arisen you play as in the intro sequence, iirc.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Oh damn. I really need to play the first game.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Once you beat an ending in a souls game and enter NG+, the world and story is reset to as if it's your first run through it. None of the games contextualize NG+ into the story or world.

Yes if you choose to link the fire in DS1 and jump into DS3, you're going into the next "cycle" but that's not NG+
Dark souls 2 has changes in Ng plus. Scholar attacks and the spider boss does a thing earlier at least

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a weird one, which is a recent fan remake of Zelda 2 by Hoverbat. (There was a thread about it earlier in the year.). It has a bunch of great QoL improvements that really elevate the original game, but I really like what it does with the traditional second quest.

Putting it in spoiler tags because I personally think it's one of the coolest things about this remake.

The plot of the original Zelda 2 says that if Ganon's forces manage to kill Link and mix his blood with Ganon's ashes, Ganon will be resurrected. (This is why the game over screen says "RETURN OF GANON.")
The second quest of this remake starts with the awakened Zelda giving Link an empty bottle. You fight your way back to the Great Palace and once again fight Shadow Link, and when he is defeated you get a cutscene of Link collecting Shadow Link's blood into the bottle. You then take that to a new area called Dragmire that was created for the remake, where you do the ritual to resurrect Ganon using Shadow Link's blood in order to kill him once and for all.
I just think it's a really neat way to work in the original story and the second quest.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Astro_Boy_-_Omega_Factor_Coverart.png

Astro Boy: Omega Factor is by far one of the best examples of this. After beating the game for the 1st time you immediately start a new game with all of the abilities you earned while still being able to upgrade him and there's a lot of new story elements, altered sections and cutscenes in stages that is a different experience compared to what you did earlier and additional new stages and bosses to go with it later in the game that you didn't have on the 1st playthrough.

Like beating the game once just isn't enough for it as you are literally missing out on a ton of this game if you don't do new game plus as it's integrated into the story and adds a lot more to the story as well. Most new game pluses in games are optional and aren't required along with not having new story elements, bosses and such but for Astro Boy Omega Factor new game plus is 100% required to actually beat the game in full and to see everything in it. Also, this game is fantastic and one of the best games on GBA so I recommend playing it regardless.