• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Alternatively, games with choices that have the most impact, or the most diverging plotlines based on those choices. Essentially games with the most potential for missed content during a preliminary playthrough which lends itself to the best replay value in terms of story. Many games try to do this in a broad way but it tends to be mostly smoke and mirrors with your choices ultimately not changing the outcome or experienced diverging paths that much at all.

This isn't limited to modern gaming, I'm all for anything going back to text based adventure games.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Visual Novels probably offer the most "change" in a route and missable content compared to most other experiences.

While perhaps not as much as you'd want, I felt the variety in Late shift & She see's Red was pretty good as far as FMV goes anyway

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
some SRPG's tend to have this a bit - from most to least substantial for the overall story - Vanguard Bandits, Rondo of Swords, the three Shining Force 3 scenarios (SF3 more affects the characters you get rather than the overall story).

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I'd say Disco Elysium

you can't possibly see, or be, everything on one playthrough

the game contains something like 1mil words in its script

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Indie devs are amazing at this kind of game.

store.steampowered.com

Save 75% on Suzerain on Steam

Assume the role of President Anton Rayne and guide the nation of Sordland. Amidst brewing international conflicts, need for reform, deep-seated corruption, and economic recession, you must make the decisions in this political drama. How will you lead?
store.steampowered.com

The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante on Steam

A narrative-driven hardcore RPG set in a gritty world ruled by real but unrelenting gods. Set out on a challenging lifetime journey, where every choice has a price and entails consequences. Will you become an inquisitor, a judge, or conspire against the old order? Dare to decide!
store.steampowered.com

Reigns on Steam

Sit on the throne as a benevolent (or malevolent) medieval monarch of the modern age and swipe your royal controller either left or right to impose your will upon the kingdom.
store.steampowered.com

Bury Me, My Love on Steam

Bury me, my Love tells the story of Syrian refugee Nour and her husband Majd, as Nour undertakes a perilous journey to safety in Europe.
store.steampowered.com

Orwell: Keeping an Eye On You on Steam

Big Brother has arrived - and it’s you. Investigate the lives of citizens to find those responsible for a series of terror attacks. Information from the internet, personal communications and private files are all accessible to you. But, be warned, the information you supply will have consequences.
store.steampowered.com

80 Days on Steam

1872, with a steampunk twist. Phileas Fogg has wagered he can circumnavigate the world in just 80 days. Travel by airship, submarine, mechanical camel, steam-train and more. Race other players and a clock that never stops in TIME Magazine's Game of 2014.
store.steampowered.com

Do Not Feed the Monkeys on Steam

A digital voyeur simulator where you watch strangers through surveillance cameras. Invade their privacy and witness their most intimate moments, but don’t interact with the subjects – anything could happen if you dare feed the monkeys!

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
While most Shin Megami Tensei games hold back the plot deviations until near the end, I think the SRPG spin-off series Devil Survivor has this running throughout the whole thing. Just taking the first game as an example, you're constantly given the choice of where to go and what to do during story segments, and what scenes you encounter drastically change the flow of the game from much earlier on than usual.