ACellarDoor

Mar 4, 2019
The Saboteur

The Brits and the French have to work together to fight the occupying Nazis but boy do they still hate each other. Relentless trash talk but hilarious.

The game is from 2009 and I still remember it

It is one of my favorite games. Did a 1000/1000 on that one. The overall aesthetics were fantastic as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Deadly Premonition was really well done. Especially the car rides where they talk about movies and different things. Great game.

Agreed with those saying GOW4 and Nier. Really great banter in those games.
The chemistry the Tales of Berseria cast has is pretty nuts:

Like, pretty effortlessly has all six party members participate in that conversation and play off each other.

The cast was the best part about Berseria. I would love to see a sequel about them going on another adventure. I don't care how they do it, I want it.
Bad Company 2 had idle banter that actually made me stand still to hear it all. I love these characters man.

Makes me sad we never got Bad Company 3. This squad was the best squad ever and that cliffhanger was so evil.

Oct 27, 2017
Va11 ha11-A was really great at this and I am not sure how I forgot it. Metal Gear Solid was also great at this, in particular MGS3 with Snake and Paramedic and the entirity of MG Rising.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Uncharted 4 was a game changer for me in that regard. Not sure if it's been done before in other games but cutting off banter when you entered an action scene and seamlessly continuing the topic afterwards was amazing.
God of War was also great in that regard. Loved the lore and back story bits you get while travelling.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Go check out Falcom's Legend of Heroes - Trails series games (Sky/Cold Steel), or Tokyo Xanadu. If you like dialogue/conversations in general, these games are king, where both inter player party banter, and dialogue with NPCS is concerned.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
Tales of series is probably the best at it among JRPGs, or at least consistent at outputting a lot of decent to great banter.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
Kid Icarus Uprising is hands down the best

It just comes at the cost of breaking your hands

Oct 27, 2017
Not to be confused with well-written dialogue as part of gameplay (Tim Schaefer games, Sierra games), these games made it a point for banter to set and keep the mood and atmosphere of the game.

Wing Commander series
KOTOR (first time I remember a game specifically interrupting gameplay to just show a bit of banter)
Mass Effect series
Dragon Age series
Xenoblade series
Uncharted series (including Golden Abyss and Lost Legacy)
God of War (thanks largely to Mimir)
Marvel's Spider-Man
Assassin's Creed Origins
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
RDR 2

And the newest entry to the banter pantheon - Days Gone. This includes banter between characters and enemies during combat.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The interactions between Mimir and Kratos/Atreus were probably my favorite in recent memory

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
All the Dragon Ages excel at this, but my personal favourite is Inquisition:

So many great interactions there. The love-hate relationship between Varric and Cassandra, Dorian and Vivienne sassing each other and then bonding over their mutual disdain for other party members, Sera trying to get under Vivienne's skin at every opportunity and getting completely schooled. Basically, Vivienne paired with anyone results in incredible banter, whether it's her shady put-downs to Blackwall, her animosity towards Cole for seeing who she truly is beneath all her finery, or her heated philosophical debates with Solas.

One of my favourite exchanges in spoilers, because it's a lengthy one:

Solas: The fact that I, an apostate, have not been enslaved by demons must be quite vexing, enchanter.
Vivienne: Not at all, darling. You clearly have an exceptional gift for the Fade.
Solas: You flatter me.
Vivienne: I am far more surprised you haven't been murdered by terrified villagers wielding pitchforks.
Solas: Yes, packing all the mages into towers and threatening them with templars certainly kept them safe.
Vivienne: It did. Until a rogue apostate destroyed Kirkwall's chantry and started a fight most mages did not want.
Solas: Your Circle was a tightly-clamped lid on a boiling pot. It held for a while, and unless you looked inside it all seemed fine. Then everyone feigned surprise when it finally burst.
Vivienne: So, apostate, if the Circle is such a failure, what would be your solution? Would you have your fellow mages live among the people - unguarded, unwatched?
Solas: Yes.
Vivienne: And when they became possessed, or used their powers to harm?
Solas: I would kill them. Magic is more elegant than a blade or a bow. But a murderer remains a murderer.
Vivienne: So you alone would pass judgement, repay murder with murder? Or do we open this up to mobs and vigilantes? If you're going to dispense justice upon violent mages yourself, you'll need eternal life and omniscience. If only there were individuals dedicated to finding and eliminating such criminals...perhaps they might help.
Solas: I am certain they would...until black and white distinctions perverted their simple minds. Do enjoy this time, enchanter. You may miss your freedom once you lock yourself back up in some tower.
Vivienne: Imprisonment is largely a matter of who holds the keys.
Solas: You so often come out on top. You play the political games brilliantly.
Vivienne: A compliment...although you speak it as a curse.
Solas: You could use those skills to improve the lives of your fellow mages. Instead, you have done nothing save consolidate your own power.
Vivienne: What if keeping my power might in fact improve the lives of my fellow mages?
Solas: You honestly believe the world is better off with you setting its course?
Vivienne: I need not be in the spotlight. But after watching others try and fail, why should I not have a turn?
Solas: Then, enchanter, I leave you with the greatest curse of my people. Dirthara-ma.
Vivienne: What rustic elven curse is that, apostate?
Solas: "May you learn."

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Both Pillars of Eternity games have great banter in the same style as Dragon Age. It's not as overwhelming quippy and light hearted but it's great character interaction that more than scratches that itch. Especially Deadfire which has tons of character reactivity in quests and exploration.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Rockstar and Naughty Dog games (especially Red Dead 2 and Uncharted).

Also, Dragon Age Origins is another good one.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
All Tales games, all Kiseki games (TitS 3rd sort of drops the ball).

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't seen it mentioned, but Dawn of War 2 and the expansions were pretty enjoyable between missions, it's almost more a Q&A but there's definitely some banter between the heroes, as they go through their suspicions and doubts of each other and the what's unfolding in the story.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
GTA, Uncharted, and Metal Gear are the pinnacle of this at a franchise level.

and the absolute GOAT is Kid Icarus: Uprising, which is a great game in general with fun and super eclectic combat, but can literally be worth playing just for the banter.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
For a niche choice, I think an otome mobile game called Mystic Messenger had really good banter. It's a game built around text/chat messages that show up on your phone from time to time.

I thought the banter was the best part of the game - the main part of the story or its "serious" parts weren't as entertaining to me.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Both Pillars of Eternity games have great banter in the same style as Dragon Age. It's not as overwhelming quippy and light hearted but it's great character interaction that more than scratches that itch. Especially Deadfire which has tons of character reactivity in quests and exploration.

My only issue with Deadfire is Aloth is a buzzkill. He hates *everything* which is ridiculous because in the first game he at least could join in some of the jokes.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield Bad Company 2 was full of fantastic conversations between characters. It's too bad they threw that all away for boring fake call of duty bullshit.

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis has maybe my favorite writing of any game and it's full of situations like this:
Ih0MCEt.jpg

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
Surprised no one has mentioned Left 4 Dead yet. It's a poster child for indirect character development, and one of the biggest reasons why I still like L4D1 more than 2, where it mostly devolved to making jokes.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Battlefield Bad Company 2 was full of fantastic conversations between characters. It's too bad they threw that all away for boring fake call of duty bullshit.

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis has maybe my favorite writing of any game and it's full of situations like this:
Ih0MCEt.jpg
Oh, this is a good one. Divinity 2 revels in silliness and it's so liberating.

Its vibe kinda reminds me of Baldur's Gate 1, now that I think of it.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Sully: we will push this on the count of three

Nate: wait, is it 1,2, push or 1,2,3 , push?

Sully: .......

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Kid Icarus Uprising, Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2, Saints Row 3 and 4, Mass Effect Trilogy, and I also love the ATE in FFIX, really expands the personality of the mjority of characters and has some great banter.

Last edited: