Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Golf Story for sure. They're so animated and even match their movement with HD Rumble.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Call it nostalgia, stupid or whatever... but FFVII is the best in my world. I've always loved the fact that the text is a bit pixely and the blue shade is perfect.

YiSGPwd.jpg

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Many, many VNs, they better be good because you'll be staring at them. Ace Attorney for instance. The DS games have a really natural and pleasant look.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Many, many VNs, they better be good because you'll be staring at them. Ace Attorney for instance. The DS games have a really natural and pleasant look.

VNs do have gorgeous text boxes. Out of the ones I've played I have a certain fondness for the one on If My Heart Had Wings and Grisaia.

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Cross has several text boxes (Frames) that you can collect (Some of them are hidden items scattered around the environments. Most of them are beautiful.

frame1.png

28-guldove98.jpg

67-sidequest53.jpg

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
As has been stated, Golf Story is a recent standout. Not only do the boxes expand as text comes in, it'll show the emphasis on certain words with bolding and text size, it'll tilt when a character is sardonic, and my personal fave: if a character starts to say/think something but then changes their mind and say something else, it'll "mash the backspace", as it were, and write in the new statement. So much fun.

OP
OP
Minako

Minako

Oct 25, 2017
As has been stated, Golf Story is a recent standout. Not only do the boxes expand as text comes in, it'll show the emphasis on certain words with bolding and text size, it'll tilt when a character is sardonic, and my personal fave: if a character starts to say/think something but then changes their mind and say something else, it'll "mash the backspace", as it were, and write in the new statement. So much fun.
God, I need to play Golf Story

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Battle Chasers has a cool thing where each character text box is different to match them.

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First thing I thought about was Golf Story, though it's fairly basic. Chrono Cross is a good answer.

StriderERA

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This looks beautifully made. Is this the Zelda-like game?

It's not. Pyre is somewhat difficult to describe because it's a mix of several genres... I'd say it's primarily a Visual Novel but it has some rpg mechanics and the core gameplay is a weird 3v3 "basketball" take... It also has the added interesting touch in that the story continues whether your team wins or loses. There are no "game overs."
It isn't among my favorite games this year but I love the soundtrack and the game features some beautiful art. Here's a link to the game's steam page if you'd wanna look a little more into it: http://store.steampowered.com/app/462770/Pyre/

It's a really well made game but it's certainly not for everyone.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's not. Pyre is somewhat difficult to describe because it's a mix of several genres... I'd say it's primarily a Visual Novel but it has some rpg mechanics and the core gameplay is a weird 3v3 "basketball" take... It also has the added interesting touch in that the story continues whether your team wins or loses. There are no "game overs."
It isn't among my favorite games this year but I love the soundtrack and the game features some beautiful art. Here's a link to the game's steam page if you'd wanna look a little more into it: http://store.steampowered.com/app/462770/Pyre/

It's a really well made game but it's certainly not for everyone.
Thanks so much for the info, I might check this out!

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even out yet (they even missed the date in the announcement trailer) but I'm already liking what they do with text in Necrobarista

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Text box quality was one of the main issues in Mario Rabbids. Something to work on for the sequel!

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the boxes themselves are a standard Gray, but in Wind Waker the use of text size, color and pacing was all pretty great and made the game feel expressive.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
Golf Story for sure. They're so animated and even match their movement with HD Rumble.

Paper Mario for simple readability.

638px-PaperLuigi2.png

It's not even out yet (they even missed the date in the announcement trailer) but I'm already liking what they do with text in Necrobarista

Damn it. Each of these were my potential suggestions and I've been handily beaten on all of them! Good picks everyone!

i0gtrbxgvzui3jz2cf0b.jpg

It's not very exciting, but it's clean and easy to read. So Steamworld Dig 2 gets my vote.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
My first thought was Chrono Cross which has already been posted. The game with the worst text boxes is by far Secret of Mana IMO. So many options, all of them borderline unreadable.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the text boxes in Colour Splash. There's something about that Paper Mario font that I love as well.
3076785-papermariocolorsplash_wiiu_pmcs_scrn_07.jpg

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Cross has several text boxes (Frames) that you can collect (Some of them are hidden items scattered around the environments. Most of them are beautiful.

frame1.png

28-guldove98.jpg

67-sidequest53.jpg

I forgot, does this game hsve the boxes from Trigger? That's one of the best text boxes ever.

These are gaudy and over complicated in my eyes

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Odd choice but Bobobo GBA's text boxes have stayed with me for some reason. A mix of simple yet stylish enough

1440.png

bobobobobobobobobobobobobo9_gba_042204_005-810756_medium.jpg

May 5, 2018

Came in to post this so...

Yeah, Golf Story's text boxes are, indeed, great.

I like how Golf Story has monopolized the thread. Well deserved.

I'll throw in Celeste too. Nice art styles for specific characters, expressive animations to the side and while my example doesn't show it, the text does match the emotions of the characters:

i1517813103098016.png

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Paper Mario TTYD had a great textbox for the game, and much better than Paper Mario 64's low res crude text that was used. I love PM64, but god is that textbox dated as fuck.

issa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I like Paper Mario's and Night in the Woods' text boxes because they are animated and expressive.

NHALPag.gif

Pyre's are nice:

Pyre_06.jpg

Whole game looks nice tbh
My favorite thing about Pyre's textboxes is the tooltips for highlighted words. They give you more information or reminder of earlier information as well as some flavor text. I think a lot of visual novels and RPGs could use those.

3rZMiKy.png

disconaldo

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I love this place. What a cool topic.

Of recent games, Golf Story for sure. I also liked how they handled the visual dialogue in Celeste.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario's are wonderful and the slight differences from title to title show a steady evolution of the concept. I particularly loved how the simple text boxes, combined with the music and text itself, could make Timpani and Blumiere's story very intriguing despite only having the text box on a black screen.

Splatoon's text boxes, presented live in the middle of gameplay, have the neat avatars for whoever is talking that I like a lot.
2017072112351100-cba841b50a92a904e313ae06df4ef71a-00d98.jpg

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Call it nostalgia, stupid or whatever... but FFVII is the best in my world. I've always loved the fact that the text is a bit pixely and the blue shade is perfect.

YiSGPwd.jpg

I love FF7 but I feel like that is the worst. Its like a generic template with a terrible colour that clashes with the game. It is nice that you can change the colours of it though, I usually change mine to rainbow colours to make it worse.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Persona 5 comes to mind...
Twilight Princess and the Fire Emblem games on 3DS and GC/Wii had also beautiful text boxes.