mclem

Oct 25, 2017
youtu.be

Outer Wilds Original Soundtrack #10 - End Times

The soundtrack to the best game of 2019, Outer Wilds, composed by Andrew Prahlow Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLer5UtBCZiMxCsYWKiEUXSbMkCE...

...and there are few things more terrifying than (ACTUAL SPOILERS FOR OUTER WILDS)

You're just settling into your final run, you've grabbed the key item from the Ash Twin Project... and this tune kicks in early.

But then there's an overwhelming feeling of joy when you realise hang on, isn't there another extra, new musical motif on top of that?.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the usual warp screen turn red fucked me up as a kid, not gonna lie.
hqdefault.jpg

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
It's one of the darker undercurrents that run under the over-the-top style of the series. That's stated to be the fate of every witch, and well, considering how Bayonetta is one of the last ones, plenty of people she knows has suffered that fate.
Yeah, I always wondered if someday that will release her from that in the games. Maybe her taking the other side.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
...and there are few things more terrifying than (ACTUAL SPOILERS FOR OUTER WILDS)

You're just settling into your final run, you've grabbed the key item from the Ash Twin Project... and this tune kicks in early.

But then there's an overwhelming feeling of joy when you realise hang on, isn't there another extra, new musical motif on top of that?.

What a frickin' moment!

I made it through on my first run, terrified of what night happen if I die without the warp core in place at ash twin.
Outer Wilds: best game of all time.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Immediately thought of this bastard haunting me as a child.

Wi67dnm.jpg
It gets better when you remember that the reason you see "return of Ganon" on game over is that Ganon's dead during gameplay; he only appears if you die because his minions perform a blood magic ritual with the dead Link.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Maybe it's because I played too much Mortal Kombat as a kid, but the "Guilt Countdowns" always had the opposite effect on me. I was always more interested in letting them go to see if they actually had the stones to do it.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Fairly tame looking back but I did see it a lot given that was a hard ass game.

telosombre

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
Doesn't get more scary than this (some language)

the boxart render of it helps a little bit

Meows

Oct 28, 2017

When you leave it on and Cortex just hauntingly stares at you.. creeped me tf out as a little kid.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Here's how things end up for Recette in Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale if you don't make your weekly loan payments.

C308AC54A3F354EB9117EBE3CDBE2AC32782A87C

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
In Fallout 1 after you replace Vault 13's water chip, you'll be tasked with taking down the mutant threat. If you take too long - which is not explicitly called out to you like the water chip was - various towns will get wrecked by the growing mutant army. Eventually, you'll see a cutscene of them invading Vault 13 and slaughtering everyone there.
Good call. That was super disturbing.

Jun 20, 2019
It gets better when you remember that the reason you see "return of Ganon" on game over is that Ganon's dead during gameplay; he only appears if you die because his minions perform a blood magic ritual with the dead Link.
This is what I came in to post. I always took the bright red of the screen to be Link's blood which is pretty far over the top for a Nintendo game.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Edit: Removed the image. It was a screenshot from a game called "Hong Kong 97" that gained a little notoriety for having a Game Over screen that showed a dead guy who looked a little too convincingly real.

Because it is real.

I posted it because it's a good fit for the thread title but have decided that it's in my best interest to take it down again. For those who want to see it, google is your friend. This video is amazing for those interested in the story behind Hong Kong 97:

Last edited:

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
uninvited-04.png

Seeing Shadowgate reminded me that The Uninvited's game over screen was pretty scary to me as a kid. I actually looked away from the screen so I wouldn't have to look at it.

Haunting Grounds was pretty messed up too when you had to listen to the sounds of the bad guys mangling and desecrating Fiona's dead body over the game over screen.

Annihilator

Nov 10, 2017
West Fargo
Fatal labyrinth for the sega genesis (still a pretty solid game today I think). It changed based on the amount of gold you picked up so more gold means more people and a better gravestone which is just so weird especially when I was playing this game at a very young age.

Fatal-Labyrinth-2.png
20190523203140_1.jpg

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

What a masterpiece this game.